• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Sammy Fiscal Year Ended March 2019 Report

Kazza

Highlights:
- Performance of Pachislot and Digital Games (which seems to just mean mobile/free-to-play games in this report) below expectations.
- Sales decreased but profits increased for Packages Games (ie traditional video games). They later note that performance in this area exceeded those expected in the initial "Road to 2020" plan. They put this down to the expansion of the non-Japanese market, growth of Steam sales, better performance of Japanese IPs abroad and improvement of game quality (evidenced by coming second on Metacritic for 2018)
- for the post March 2020 period, they want to focus on more Packaged Games (ie video games) from both Japanese and foreign studios, and more PC releases (in NA and Europe anyway)
- Under "Maximising IP Values" they say "Multi-region, device and platform roll-out making best use of characteristics of IPs", so I imagine we will continue to get more games localised, plus more multi-platform games - EDIT actually "platform roll-out making best use of characteristics of IPs" might suggest releasing certain games on certain platforms, but it's a pretty "jargony" sentence, so who knows

You can read the report yourself here (it's just a few pages long when you cut out the resort, pachinko and digigtal games stuff). I've read a few reports online about the report, but they seem misleading to me (probably due to Sega's confusing terminology when discussing Packaged Games and Digital Games).

It's interesting how they highlight the NA/European market when discussing overseas market expansion:

SytUXml.png

Anyway, the important takeaway from me is that we should be seeing more and more PC ports and localisations, which can only be a good thing.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
- Performance of Pachislot and Digital Games (which seems to just mean mobile/free-to-play games in this report) below expectations.
200.gif

- Sales decreased but profits increased for Packages Games (ie traditional video games). They later note that performance in this area exceeded those expected in the initial "Road to 2020" plan. They put this down to the expansion of the non-Japanese market, growth of Steam sales, better performance of Japanese IPs abroad and improvement of game quality (evidenced by coming second on Metacritic for 2018)
Hopefully this results in more localizations, which you mentioned in the OP. SEGA has been quietly pushing out ports via the Genesis/MD Collection, through the Genesis/MD Mini, and the Ages collections. I'm eager to see how else they will expand in overseas markets.

zeorhymer

NA/EU packaged is expanding with a large market share. NA/EU mobile is expanding faster than packaged even though it's smaller market share. Asia mobile is a huge market and it's growing. Bottom line, they're going mobile.

Kazza

Haha, I was kind of happy at the lack of success of their pachinko and digital game division too!

Top Bottom