• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega has announced a Mega Drive Mini 2, including Mega CD games

RAIDEN1

The full list hasn't been revealed so there maybe some hope for Snatcher yet!....and the reason why Sega is dragging its heels in producing other minis is because the Genesis/Megadrive is probably Sega's most successful console ever...(outside of Japan...) so they want to extract as much as they can from the name.....as Sega's reputation with the Genesis was held in high regard prior to the debacle of the Saturn and 32x.....Dreamcast was too little too late..

TheMan

You know if it wasn’t for the pandemic and all the chip shortages I wonder if they would have been able to create a brand new saturn mini

They should do a second run of the first one as it's out of print and I don't think it saturated the target public.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

It seems they forgot they released more consoles after the Mega Drive.
Likely a case of they aren't as proud of the Saturn's legacy as they are of the Megadrive and Genesis, the Megadrive catapulted Sega's name like never before....

What are the odds of Sega announcing a Mega Drive Mini 3 in a year or two that has 32X games on it?
Actually, kinda low.

To start, the "Genesis 3" was technically an aftermarket "junior" version handled by Majesco. It also didn't even have 32X support. I also do not think it has a JP Megadrive counterpart.

Furthermore, while you could in theory think of 20-30 (I'm expecting this amount by the end) good Sega CD games for a mini, for the 32X I would have to stretch out my definition of a "good" game to get to 15. Then, subtract from that the games that are likely to be, or are already on, better compilations (Virtua Racing on this one, Virtua Fighter on the Astro City mini and a theoretical Saturn mini...) and maybe you're left with like 5 games to work with. It'd be harder to justify the "32x mini" when it's 90% Megadrive 16-bit games.

Also, there's signs in this thread of "16-bit mini fatigue"; Sega's gonna have to move on to the Saturn mini eventually.

lachesis

I hear it has 50 games... so I guess a lot more to come? Final Fight CD, perhaps?
If Battle Mania Daiginjou is included this time around, I would be very happy... but at the same time, I want localized JRPGS.

Would love to pre-order, but need to know more about it. I guess we will find out regional release info in a few months...

You would think that's there's not much chance of it happening, but if I said a month ago "What are the odds of Sega announcing a Mega Drive Mini 2 that has Mega CD games on it?", people would have thought the chances of that where low too.
That was partly because there was no "NES Mini 2" or "Famicom Disk System Mini" or "SNES Mini 2", though. Sega is breaking the usual mini trend by actually making a sequel to a mini.

In the case of the 32X, there is a severe problem with a lack of quality games to even justify it's existence. It'd have been better if they just upgraded Virtua Racing to the Deluxe version, added Chaotix, Stellar Assault, Virtua Fighter, Tempo, Space Harrier and After Burner, and called it a day there and then.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Sega know they had consoles after the Genesis? Everything that comes from them is Genesis related.
It's just a matter of time.
Were you sleeping in a cave lately ?
Sega released a gamegear micro (ok this one was a disapointment due to its size but the library was interesting) and Astro Cities mini with system 32 games, Model 1...
As for Master System, there was some Sega Ages and other were included in Lost Judgment.(it's not as if there was nothing...)

Yeah i Would have preferred a Saturn Mini but it will happen (Sega mini consoles are successful).

Megadrive mini 2:
Honestly i think this one will be better than the previous megadrive since the usual suspects has been released already (golden Axe, Alex Kidd, Altered Beast...), there are more slots (50 games) and Sega is already announcing hidden gems (genesis "hidden gems edition") like Magical Taruruto which is awesome. I'm much more excited by this one.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Remember...
  • Ecco the Dolphin
  • Castlevania: Bloodlines
  • Space Harrier 2
  • Shining Force
  • Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
  • ToeJam and Earl
  • Comix Zone
  • Altered Beast
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
The first games announced with the megadrive mini 1...

In terms of surprises, the mini 2 is another level (only bloodlines was fresh in the first group)

lyan

Actually, kinda low.

To start, the "Genesis 3" was technically an aftermarket "junior" version handled by Majesco. It also didn't even have 32X support. I also do not think it has a JP Megadrive counterpart.

Furthermore, while you could in theory think of 20-30 (I'm expecting this amount by the end) good Sega CD games for a mini, for the 32X I would have to stretch out my definition of a "good" game to get to 15. Then, subtract from that the games that are likely to be, or are already on, better compilations (Virtua Racing on this one, Virtua Fighter on the Astro City mini and a theoretical Saturn mini...) and maybe you're left with like 5 games to work with. It'd be harder to justify the "32x mini" when it's 90% Megadrive 16-bit games.

Also, there's signs in this thread of "16-bit mini fatigue"; Sega's gonna have to move on to the Saturn mini eventually.
Give it a few years, they mentioned in the start of stream that M2 (the team responsible) says the 32X was not possible with current constraints.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Preordered. The mega-cd add-on doesn't seem to be available yet though. I loved my mega-cd one, looks so neat.

Edit: here it is but not available.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Night Trap Remastered please!

Dig up Dana Plato from the grave, slap some ping pong balls on her and add new motion capture.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
And now I just learned that there is a powerbase accesory! I just bought it for my Euro Mega Drive mini.

jaysius

Banned
Coming to a bargain bin near you! The first one gathered so much dust in the stores, it went to clearance either 6 months or earlier after release.

spookyfish

Does this mean it could be -- enhanced, say -- with SEGA CD games easier than the original Genesis Mini? In that, the bios and emulator is already built in? If so, color me ... intrigued.

Kuranghi

I would prefer a DC Mini ofc, but this is good for me because I missed out on the MD/Genesis Mini and while its still available, its a stupid price.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
That was partly because there was no "NES Mini 2" or "Famicom Disk System Mini" or "SNES Mini 2", though. Sega is breaking the usual mini trend by actually making a sequel to a mini.

In the case of the 32X, there is a severe problem with a lack of quality games to even justify it's existence. It'd have been better if they just upgraded Virtua Racing to the Deluxe version, added Chaotix, Stellar Assault, Virtua Fighter, Tempo, Space Harrier and After Burner, and called it a day there and then.
There was a Jump? edition of the famicom mini which had games like Dragon Quest and Dragon Ball.

Reactions: TLZ

Crew511A

Thanks to Project Lunar I've already got the entire Genesis library with all the worthwhile 32X and Sega CD games on my Sega Genesis Mini. Not seeing a reason to buy this one.

The full list hasn't been revealed so there maybe some hope for Snatcher yet!....and the reason why Sega is dragging its heels in producing other minis is because the Genesis/Megadrive is probably Sega's most successful console ever...(outside of Japan...) so they want to extract as much as they can from the name.....as Sega's reputation with the Genesis was held in high regard prior to the debacle of the Saturn and 32x.....Dreamcast was too little too late..

Yeah, yeah, the Saturn was a mistake. Blah blah blah.

Quasicat

Thanks to Project Lunar I've already got the entire Genesis library with all the worthwhile 32X and Sega CD games on my Sega Genesis Mini. Not seeing a reason to buy this one.
My first Genesis was this second model, so this is the one that I am most nostalgic. That being said, I hope Project Lunar works on this one as I look to do the same as you did to yours.

Fat Frog

Sega know they had consoles after the Genesis? Everything that comes from them is Genesis related.
Why are you laughing at my comment ?

Your statement was true years ago when there were only genesis collections.

Years ago...

Genesis related stuffs:

Genesis collections
Megadrive mini (and now Megadrive mini 2)
A few Sega Ages on Switch and NSO (soon)

Lately...

Other sega systems related stuffs:

Sega Ages on Switch (Shinobi...arcade, Virtua Racing Model 2)
Game Gear Micro
Astro City Mini (Model 1 games, System 32, System 16)
Astro City V
Lindbergh, Model 2, Sega Master system games in Yakuza games.

Not mentioning all remakes Sega allowed from Saturn, Dreamcast, Model 2 games...

Nothing funny in my examples.
You were right years ago, there was indeed only crappy genesis collections but now there are very often a bunch of mini consoles or cabinets, arcade ports (SMS games in 2021) in Yakuza games.

Things changed... Maybe not fast enough, but it's getting better and like i said, the usual, annoting, Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Shining Force 1 already made it on the Genesis Mini 1... Now there is more room for surprising Sega CD games and even never ported before genesis games.

The presence of Gamearts and Gamefreaks in the first round already announce a singular product...

Snatcher ? Final Fight CD ? Pulseman ? Crusaders of Centy ? Lunar ? There are 40 slots remaining for exciting stuffs... (Ok Sonic CD was wasted but i guess the blue fucker was mandatory for Sega)

Last edited:
Since we are confirming 20 total Sega CD games, time to make guesses as to the next 15:

1) One of either Lunar: The Silver Star or Lunar: Eternal Blue
2) Panic! / Switch!
3) Final Fight CD
4) Earthworm Jim: Special Edition (yeah, the base game was already in the last one, but we have a precedent for sorta-redundant entries already.)
5) HOPEFULLY just one of either: Night Trap, Sewer Shark, Double Switch, Prize Fighter, or any of those other FMV game selections. Would rather not have this filling up the limited pool. Night Trap has the most notoriety, so it probably has the best shot.
6) Ecco the Dolphin CD (Yeah, that's like the Earthworm Jim case, but I'm predicting it anyway)
7) Heavenly Symphony / Formula One World Championship: Beyond the Limit
8) Sega Classics Arcade Collection (Same deal as Ecco and Jim. Hopefully the version that has Super Monaco GP)
9) The NInja Warriors (may make for a good "First time in the USA" release, being initially Japan-only)
10) Night Striker (similar to The Ninja Warriors)
11) Split between regions: A) Shin Megami Tensei for Japan, B) Snatcher for USA and PAL
12) Split between regions: A) Yumimi Mix for Japan, B) Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Dark Side for USA and PAL
13) Split between regions: A) Annet Futatabi for Japan, B) Spider-Man Vs. The Kingpin for USA and PAL
14) One of either Road Avenger, Time Gal, or Revenge of the Ninja
15) One of either Keio Flying Squadron or Robo Aleste (Because somehow the final roster HAS to be disappointing)

Fat Frog

Since we are confirming 20 total Sega CD games,
That's a pretty decent number. We forgot the Snes Mini only had 20 games for instance...
In fact, we have another Megadrive Mini (30 games for the base genesis is far from ridiculous with a good selection) + a Sega CD mini.(not just a half baked mix of both)

MiguelItUp

If only....

Really though, I'm really curious to know what they're gonna put on this. Final Fight CD would be SICK! So would Sewer Shark and Night Trap, but I can't imagine we'd see those.

Fat Frog

20:35 > Is Takenobu Mitsuyoshi (Daytona) singing in the Sega version of Final Fight CD ?

Quasicat

Would love to pre-order, but need to know more about it. I guess we will find out regional release info in a few months...
How much you wanna bet that the American and European arms of SEGA just found out about this in the past week and have not had a chance to figure out market viability for their regions yet?

lachesis

How much you wanna bet that the American and European arms of SEGA just found out about this in the past week and have not had a chance to figure out market viability for their regions yet?

Two bucks!
I have bad feeling that this one may be just Japanese only to be honest...

Quasicat

Two bucks!
I have bad feeling that this one may be just Japanese only to be honest...
I get that same feeling. Either way, I’m picking it up. I have a Super Famicom mini and found out it was pretty easy to add an English patch to it. I’m hoping the same is true on this eventually.

Fox Mulder

I got the first mini, but this model is the one I had as a kid and would buy this. It’ll be instant hacked so doesn’t really matter what games are on it. I already added 32x and cd games to the first one.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

VdvTbdQ.jpg

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Yeah, yeah, the Saturn was a mistake. Blah blah blah.
Well it was a costly mistake yes, the sales figures speak for themselves, and wasn't it Bernie Stolar who said "Saturn isn't our future".....when Sega saw the writing on the wall, they couldn't wait to wash their hands off the console..

Top Bottom