• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Has Considered Dreamcast & Saturn Mini But Is Worried About Extreme Costs

BlackTron

I'm pretty much over the mini console thing, I like having the SNES and Genesis as a novelty. Thing is, I could already play those games in MANY ways many times over, it's also redundancy. Here's yet another marginally better Genesis Mini to add even more.

Dreamcast games have been ported everywhere and I already have a real one and even my Xbox emulates it easily. I might even be tempted to buy a theoretical DC Mini just because I'm a rabid fan, until I think that the only way to add more games will be to buy the Dreamcast Mini II, which adds PSO and online, making the first one a clearly redundant waste of money.

This is getting trapped in a pattern I don't get much out of in the first place. No thanks, mini consoles.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm pretty much over the mini console thing, I like having the SNES and Genesis as a novelty. Thing is, I could already play those games in MANY ways many times over, it's also redundancy. Here's yet another marginally better Genesis Mini to add even more.

Dreamcast games have been ported everywhere and I already have a real one and even my Xbox emulates it easily. I might even be tempted to buy a theoretical DC Mini just because I'm a rabid fan, until I think that the only way to add more games will be to buy the Dreamcast Mini II, which adds PSO and online, making the first one a clearly redundant waste of money.

This is getting trapped in a pattern I don't get much out of in the first place. No thanks, mini consoles.
Dreamcast has plenty great exclusives or games that were ported on now equally dead platforms (and in lesser form) like Power Stone PSP. Saturn even more so.

Granted the games they'd choose for minis would largely be those that have been ported but there could still be some exclusive gems.

They could even do something like Nintendo's Star Fox 2 and officially include cancelled games like Propeller Arena.

Last edited:

SCB3

Dreamcast has plenty great exclusives or games that were ported on now equally dead platforms (and in lesser form) like Power Stone PSP. Saturn even more so.

Granted the games they'd choose for minis would largely be those that have been ported but there could still be some exclusive gems.

They could even do something like Nintendo's Star Fox 2 and officially include cancelled games like Propeller Arena.
Or Half Life

Kokoloko85

I’d prefer some box with wifi and you get to access the store that way. Can’t be hard. Also, recurring revenue

Maybe they can do both. Have a wifi/online shop on a “box” Mini Saturn/Dreamcast etc or any box like you said.
But also have the Sega store on these boxes: PS/XBOX/Switch/PC. Where you can download games. Even mobile for the weirdos that play there lol. They can make loads of money.

Sega just seems to hype up some classics, talk about more to come, and release a few and then they just stop. Then do it again, here comes Sega Forever, release Sonic 1 and then never speak about it again.

TheMan

They'd probably be better off making an anthology available on modern console like they already do with their genesis games. That might even be preferable to buying yet another dedicated piece of hardware.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
We deserve a Saturn Mini, that system had too many great games stuck on the platform and they’re really hard/expensive to source these days. It just sucks. Also would be nice to have HDMI for modern TVs obviously.

Dreamcast Mini, I would be fine with Steam ports of the stuff we haven’t gotten yet like Skies of Arcadia and Mars Matrix.

old-parts

The hardware Sega is using in Mega Drive Mini 1 and 2 is a rebranded Allwinner chip, Zuiki is Japanese side of Allwinner. I suspect the Z7123 is just an A33 model which came out in 2014, so it can't cost Sega much for that kind of chip (it was used in a 9$ computer project), they are squeezing every dollar of profit they can from it. Allwinner do make hardware that can easily handle Dreamcast emulation some of their SoC's even have modern PowerVR GPU's though I doubt Sega would spend the money on those. They definitely need a newer chip to output 1080p or higher.

Something Sega could do to make a Dreamcast Mini stand out is add support for Sinden Light Gun out of the box and put as many light gun games from console/arcade on it. The Sinden works on modern flat panels displays and could be an easy way to deploy such games.

nkarafo

Accurate emulation of the Saturn will need more a powerful soc and a more sophisticated emulator. Something like Mednafen Saturn requires a pretty potent 4 core i5 CPU, 4th gen at least. That's way beyond the hardware of any mini console so far.

Though SSF was more performant but still more demanding than similar PS1 emulators (which is the most demanding console in the mini collection so far). And i'm not sure such code is good enough for retail. Unless Sega's standards are as low as Nintendo's lately.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Accurate emulation of the Saturn will need more a powerful soc and a more sophisticated emulator. Something like Mednafen Saturn requires a pretty potent 4 core i5 CPU, 4th gen at least. That's way beyond the hardware of any mini console so far.

Though SSF was more performant but still more demanding than similar PS1 emulators (which is the most demanding console in the mini collection so far). And i'm not sure such code is good enough for retail. Unless Sega's standards are as low as Nintendo's lately.
Yabause forks are much less demanding. Also less accurate and what not, but they can probably tweak and tune each game in a limited lineup to work as it should. Not that they will use Yabause or Mednafen, just saying if they get emulators in a similar vein. SSF is still more accurate I believe and less demanding as you said, sans the games it has trouble with (if they haven't been fixed, last I tried the SNK fighting games had issues with sprite rendering), but anyway, it just shows it varies by the implementation and development and one emu being demanding doesn't mean all will be.
Something Sega could do to make a Dreamcast Mini stand out is add support for Sinden Light Gun out of the box and put as many light gun games from console/arcade on it. The Sinden works on modern flat panels displays and could be an easy way to deploy such games.
That'd be pretty sweet, I guess they could do it like Taito's Egret II Mini's trackball/knob/flipper controller, where the main system has normal games and you can get a premium bundle or separately buy the extra and it comes with an SD card or something that has all the relevant games on it.

That said, as amazing as Sega's lightgun games are (even with underwhelming ports like HOTD on Saturn), neither Saturn nor Dreamcast have all that many each sadly. PlayStation systems have way more good ones from different companies even without Sega's top tier stuff (though they put some on PS2 anyway). Dreamcast really only has Virtua Cop 2, Confidential Mission, HOTD2 and a couple dodgy non Sega stuff. Saturn only has Virtua Cop 1 & 2, HOTD, and again various dodgy ones like Area 51, Crypt Killer, Die Hard Trilogy's lightgun part and support for specific portions of other games like Policenauts. I guess they could expand on this a little bit if the Dreamcast mini can also emulate Naomi (1 of course, but I don't think 2 had any lightgun games anyway) with the likes of Lupin the 3rd The Shooting, Ninja Assault and Maze of Kings but it doesn't quite fit.

They should probably do an arcade mini for them instead. Maybe instead of making specific models like Astro City do one with 2D games, one more advanced with super scaler focus (on all the different boards those were done), then Model 1 & 2 level games with lightgun option for the latter two. Of course they have many more amazing lightgun games that require beefier systems, like Virtua Cop 3, Ghost Squad, Operation Ghost, newer HOTD games, they should totally work a deal with Sinden and release them on consoles/PC tuned to lightgun play, not like the recent HOTD remake.

Also so many great Sega games used licenced IP making re-releases harder, game licenses should really apply for that software on any kind of release/port/re-release, as long as it's not somehow an all new experience like a sequel or full remake, it should be allowed with the original agreement.

And of course all these systems also had many great third party games for which they'd have to consult their developers and publishers, like it would be silly to have Dreamcast mini without SoulCalibur (it's still the best version afaik).

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
NES Mini and SNES Mini had cheap hardware, the only reason why Nintendo didn't release a mini N64 was they wanted to release the console with the same hardware they already bought for cheap, but it wasn't enough powerful.

Same Sega with the Megadrive Mini.

They probably don't want to spend more than 20$ for every unit (board/cpu+package+promotion+shipping).

RetroAV

Release this with a Sega Saturn Mini and I'll buy 3! :messenger_beaming:

hqdefault.jpg

Ev1L AuRoN

I would pay 100 for a Dreamcast mini, but I find it hard to SEGA to produce one in this price range.
The Dreamcast has a compicated controler design to produce cheap, and there is the hardware, It will need a Better SoC than the 16bit systems and
also more flash memory to store GD-ROM's.
I would love to play some Soul Calibur, Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Resident Evil Code Veronica...

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
We deserve a Saturn Mini, that system had too many great games stuck on the platform and they’re really hard/expensive to source these days. It just sucks. Also would be nice to have HDMI for modern TVs obviously.

Dreamcast Mini, I would be fine with Steam ports of the stuff we haven’t gotten yet like Skies of Arcadia and Mars Matrix.
Yes! Saturn mini with dragon force!

pramod

Banned
The Megadrive Mini 2 with its enhanced versions of Space Harrier 2 etc have made me realize Sega should just make a real new Megadrive 2 console.

Make it a beefier Megadrive. More colors, more spirtes, hardware scaling, and fully backwards compatible with MD and Genesis of course. Make it an open system so you attract tons of indie devs. Then port all the Sega super scaler games to it.

It would be the new Sega console we need, but maybe not the one we deserve.

Soltype

The Megadrive Mini 2 with its enhanced versions of Space Harrier 2 etc have made me realize Sega should just make a real new Megadrive 2 console.

Make it a beefier Megadrive. More colors, more spirtes, hardware scaling, and fully backwards compatible with MD and Genesis of course. Make it an open system so you attract tons of indie devs. Then port all the Sega super scaler games to it.

It would be the new Sega console we need, but maybe not the one we deserve.
I'd kill for a new super scaler game.

pramod

Banned
I'd kill for a new super scaler game.
We kinda got one with the enchanced Space Harrier 2.

Hopefully someone hacks the MD mini 2 so indie devs can make new games for it. It would almost be like a new console.

Last edited:

Doczu

A Raspberry pi 4 with Redream is enough to run almost all games at 60fps out of the box without any tweaks. And that costs ~40 bucks.
Stop talking shit Sega, we know you'd have to use better hardware and it's all about the RoI.

RAIDEN1

Its all a load of bull about Sega being worried about costs...they could have brought out the Dreamcast mini in 2019 to coincide with the 1999 anniversary but they didn't...same is the case with the Saturn, but they didn't....so now they are hiding behind "financial reasons" for dragging their heels, yet for the past 18 years, they haven't been hesitant in reviving the Megadrive/Genesis brands in various forms....how much did each of those projects cost them?

cobaltorange

Neo Member
people still buy these nostalgia consoles? : S
What's wrong with that?
A DreamCast mini?
Id buy that for 200 dollars easy work.
As long as it comes with a controller, a VMU, Emulation+ mode and PAL coloring.
Fuck that NTSC red.

9d80082bec1a8bd1cb7b560667b19faf.jpg
What's wrong with the color for NTSC? It was orange by the way. Goes with the color of the light on the console. Wait, so do have a problem the light color too?

Top Bottom