• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secretive military space plane lands in Florida with a sonic boom

DrSlek

Space Plane my ass. It's a space glider at best. All those hours spent making proper space planes in Kerbal and in real life we use the stick it on a rocket cheat. I'm disappointed.

Yes, I always imagined Space Planes as being able to make unassisted orbital ascents.

Jezbollah

SpaceX launched an NRO satellite last week.

Yep, and NRO launches are usually the domain of the United Launch Alliance (Lockheed/Boeing). SpaceX had to sue the US Government to compete for NRO launches..

Hhmm. I thought its previous test was its only test. Interesting.

There has been three X-37B missions - all three for the US Air Force. There's in fact an A variant that belongs to NASA that was used for drop tests (Like the Space Shuttle Enterprise did that for the Shuttle program). There's potentially a scaled up C variant that may be used to launch astronauts, but with the Boeing Starliner program I doubt this will happen.

The USAF has a whole separate space program since the 80's at least. It's like another NASA in terms of capability.

The two domains of focus are space and cyberspace. It is actually a joint venture with the NRO, NSA and USAF.

The USAF have had a space program separate to NASA since the early 60s (they wanted moon bases, space stations, the lot). In fact, it was the USAF and NASA that joined up to work on the Space Shuttle project as a consolidation between roles - with the USAF providing a lot of the post Apollo astronauts to NASA. A good example of this would be ex USAF Astronaut Bob Crippin, who flew on the first Shuttle mission with John Young.

I'm super surprised that I haven't heard anything about nations shooting each other's satellites down. Is that a thing that is done? If not, why not? And if so, why isn't it in the news?

Because we're not at war. And that would be an act of war.

What are they wearing that gear to protect against? Fuel explosion? Black oil? The Andromeda Strain?

Mostly down to hazardous substances used on the vehicle, such as hydrazine.

When did the USAF start a "space wing"?

Since 1982.

Air_Force_Space_Command-300x289.jpg

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
The USAF have had a space program separate to NASA since the early 60s (they wanted moon bases, space stations, the lot). In fact, it was the USAF and NASA that joined up to work on the Space Shuttle project as a consolidation between roles - with the USAF providing a lot of the post Apollo astronauts to NASA. A good example of this would be ex USAF Astronaut Bob Crippin, who flew on the first Shuttle mission with John Young.

👍 Right on.

TheVBkid

Banned
The real classified stuff is 30-40 years ahead of this, and isn't in front of the world's cameras.

Not sure if the military would be that far ahead, but i do remember watching a documentary in which they talked about a power source the size of a microchip that could power an entire city. This was supposedly a decade or two away.

Madness

When did the USAF start a "space wing"?

Long time. Since the space race during the cold war, but they were under the Air Force primarily as Strategic Air Command. Then under Reagan there was the US Space Command (USSPACECOM) which then evolved into US Strategic Command (USSTRATCOM).

The US is unmatched militarily in space, even though civilians rarely know what goes on. Only Russia and China have the capability to down space satellites by missiles as well. That is probably why the US is so focused on these stealth or supersonic space drones.

Top Bottom