• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Searching for HL3: Andrew Reiner's interview with an anon ex-Valve dev (unverified)

tci

A bit over the top to proclaim that nothing can happen with such a structure. They have demonstrably been able to adapt quickly to quite a lot of things and get a whole lot done, whether that was reacting to Win 8 and hardware, VR and the poaching of their own staff as Oculus became more distant, Controller developments, their own games as a service etc. The article of one source isn't even necessary. The simple fact is HL is not a big priority right now as a game or it is under development in some form internally in a very experimental manner. The HL film is also way off by the sounds of things with the focus on Portal. It's that simple.
That is true enough. Still I think their command structure is the issue here. Their workers can do what they want to do. That means in most cases new and exiting project for them. I bet near nobody there wants to do another HL. For that reason it will likely never take off.

HL2 took 6 years to make. Together with Source. Source 2 is "complete", but only in-house atm. It took about the same time as well. They have not announced anything about it and any titles. Dota got it added with very little fuzz. When Source was done. They showed off all their tech. Now there is nothing. No info, no PR. Just; - Dota 2 got it in an update.

At least we have Black Mesa coming this year with the Xen update. The game was already better than most fps games the last few years in 2012. And I bet it stil holds up perfectly today.

aliengmr

Honestly, Valve makes more money on their other ventures, they don't need HL3.

I think it would work more as an "exclusive" Steam game when and if the time comes, as a strategy to counteract other storefronts.

Why would they need to counteract other storefronts? Valve hasn't been competing with other storefronts for a while, they don't need to.

If anything, making HL3 exclusive to Steam would probably do more harm than good. It's not like they need to convince anyone they should use Steam on PC and there's no reason not to sell more on consoles. With the numbers they have "exclusivity" would probably just cost them sales.

Hakkelus

Don't they WANT to make Half-Life 3? I don't get it. Are they all about easy money? Does Gabe ever go to bed at night thinking "Just you wait fans, HL3 is going to blow your mind". If they are not making, or are not going to make HL3, I don't say "Hmm, that's a strange business decision" or "Ok, maybe they have calculated the pros and cons and there is no sense making HL3", no, I say they are assholes. Plain and simple and if I ever bump into Gaben somewhere I'm gonna tell him that, no matter how much he looks like Santa Claus and I'm going to expect him to feel bad about hurting my feelings!

kiguel182

Yeah, it isn't happening anytime soon, if ever. They are better off using their cool ideas for other stuff since expectations regarding Half-Life are crazy anyway.

It sucks but it is what it is.

Fury451

Banned
I mean this would basically verify everything that you can extrapolate from Valve's behavior.

I never believed there was a HL3, but I did think an Episode 3 would come out. Not too surprising to find out that Valve doesn't really seem to think that it's in need of a conclusion.

They sound pretty impulsive as developers when it comes to project planning and scrapping.

They're absolutely right about this:

Half-Life is big for us who played it, but the game has never really mattered to console customers. The brand really doesn’t have the penetration it deserves

Despite its legendary status, it's hard to argue against that.

Patison

This interview is heartbreaking and really makes it sound like all their previous games where just accidents.

Also, if every one of the employees has so much freedom and this kind of structure works so well, how come they didn't release ONE single-player game in 6 years? Are all of the ~360 (according to wiki) people working on patches, hats, Steam (with none-existent customer service), and their own small projects, which apparently all get shot down? We should at least have some kind of stream of smaller games coming out regularly, but we have nothing.

I'm only angry because we don't get many good narrative-driven FPSes, with Wolfenstein and Titanfall 2 (which I really hope will get a sequel) being notable exceptions. If something else comes out and starts amazing new series then fuck you Valve, we don't need your grace.

For now, I will just sit in my chair and wonder why I'm so upset about a videogame and where my life went wrong.

Mr. F

Banned
I kind of wish the interviewer had asked if Valve is internally aware of the cynicism toward them in the greater community. Forget Half Life, I'd be more content with their customer service/Steam being a bit less dog shit.

Flat corporate structure kind of sounds like a monkey's paw version of an idealized workplace from everyone I know who work in them.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Disappointing that valve doesn't care about it's original fans' expectations anymore.

One could argue their refusal to proceed in development with any of the versions of HL3 they've toyed around with indicates they are incredibly sensitive to their fans expectations.

If they don't beleive they can deliver an amazing unique experience, they won't develop it.

Dives

Neo Member
There's just no pressure on Valve to develop games anymore. With Half-Life they had to get the game out before they ran out of money and the company would fold. With Half-Life 2 they had to get the game out before they ran out of money and the company would fold. But now they bring in billions(!) of dollars annually through Steam and there's no looming threat of running out of funding.

There are some business connections that could help it, like it being released exclusively on Steam OS. That’s a big thing. People would be like, “Well, I now need to get a Steam Machine.”

giphy.gif

Durante

Valve doesn't have game developers anymore. They have business people and ecommerce people.
Who invented the best positional tracking system available in consumer (or any, really) VR right now?

Who is implementing the Steam controller features and expanding its applicability to additional hardware?

Who made The Lab?

Jeremy

Eventually you will give up hope too, just like the rest of us have.

Going on 10 years of following credible rumors over and over to be disappointed about a game that, this article confirms for me, I don't care about anymore, isn't worth it. I appreciate Valve for their contributions to the industry but I realize what they are now v. then and there are people making better games than they ever could trying an episode 3 or a new entry to the table.

Dmax3901

Posted this in the other thread but something feels entirely off my this. Some rings true but a whole lot more rings... false?

Obviously we can't know either way, not sure it was worth publishing tbh.

Who invented the best positional tracking system available in consumer (or any, really) VR right now?

Who is implementing the Steam controller features and expanding its applicability to additional hardware?

Who made The Lab?

Okay they have business people, eCommerce people and a small R&D department.

They don't have the capacity currently to create AAA games.

It's not happening. It's not in active development, and even if they started development tomorrow, it would take years. By the time they finished, would anyone still care?

Valve has gone a different way; they've changed their focus considerably since HL2 & HL2E. Unfortunately, that focus means they make games that I just completely bounce off of, which is a shame, because there was a time they were one of my favorite developers.

That said, I do think never releasing EP3 and wrapping up the story was a pretty terrible move.

Drencrom

Who made The Lab?

Valve, and all of that is basically just hardware development. The Lab is a game sure, but is basically just a demo for their VR hardware.

Their actual game software output is just pathetic now.

Maybe ive achieved closure, because I really wish GI used its access to get a clearer vision of the Steam Universe (controller, os, big picture, vulkan, linux dev) initiative. From the outside, it looks like VR and free to play are wagging the dog right now. But it's also easy to see those projects informing the Steam Universe too.

So I can't tell if VR will reach a stasis and the Big Picture interface will suddenly improve rapidly or if nobody cares anymore.

As for the HL3 SteamOS exclusive idea, it just seemed like the guy was stretching to think of a way Hl3 as a AAAA campaign could make sense. Not that Valve is actually considering it.

Zombine

Banned
Yeah but this doesn't really explain why Left 4 Dead 3 has gone dead silent since those Source 2 leaks. Even things that were/are in active development aren't even releasing.

dogen

One could argue their refusal to proceed in development with any of the versions of HL3 they've toyed around with indicates they are incredibly sensitive to their fans expectations.

If they don't beleive they can deliver an amazing unique experience, they won't develop it.

What's wrong with more of what they did in 98? With better graphics and tightened up mechanics, it would be a fine game.

Certainly not game developers.

Several game devs including veterans are involved in the HW projects. For ex around the Steam Controller launch Valve made it a point how a HL level designer is making the API for the controller. TF co-creator Robin Walker was also (or maybe still is) involved in it. Hell, Steam was led by another TF co-creator for years. And so on.

Top Bottom