• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves is adding a PVE mode in December

I'll confess that I've never played Sea of Thieves. I'm greater than 99% confident that it is one of those games that would give me severe motion sickness. Otherwise, I would have been all over this game a long time ago. This new PvE mode would definitely be down my alley though. I played World of Warcraft from vanilla up through Mists of Pandaria on a pvp server. Oh the pain, stress, and grief I would have saved myself from if I had simply moved to a normal (non-pve) server.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'll confess that I've never played Sea of Thieves. I'm greater than 99% confident that it is one of those games that would give me severe motion sickness. Otherwise, I would have been all over this game a long time ago. This new PvE mode would definitely be down my alley though. I played World of Warcraft from vanilla up through Mists of Pandaria on a pvp server. Oh the pain, stress, and grief I would have saved myself from if I had simply moved to a normal (non-pve) server.
The PVE mode is still very limited. Only way to experience the full game is to play on High Seas. There's a level cap and features like owning a ship aren't available in Safer Seas. Gold and Xp is also at 30%.

Roberts

I would never play it myself as I love the thrill of being chased by other players but I think it is great to have that option. Basically serves as prolonged tutorial for new players who want to experience the game’s mechanics without interruptions.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I would never play it myself as I love the thrill of being chased by other players but I think it is great to have that option. Basically serves as prolonged tutorial for new players who want to experience the game’s mechanics without interruptions.

I think it's a good way to do the Tall Tales without interruption.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Good. It should have been there since the beginning. It is a very compelling concept but has the most toxic/abusive community I have ever seen and absolutely no protections for new players.

The PVE mode is still very limited. Only way to experience the full game is to play on High Seas. There's a level cap and features like owning a ship aren't available in Safer Seas. Gold and Xp is also at 30%.
Well nevermind then. That's just bullshit bait.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
To be fair, they did pretty good with their adventure content (although it has no replayability, and therein lies the problem). But damn, they could at least make an effort to make the PvE mode appear appealing instead of amputating it.

They are obviously still hoping to shoehorn people into the PvP by blatantly making the value of the PvE mode almost worthless. But I bet even after playing this extended tutorial mode most people who doesn't want to play PvP will not be turned anyway. So why water out the experience.

They should take a look at the "Zombie mode" in Cold War for how to properly make and integrate solo/co-op mode in a multiplayer title.

Last edited:

Kilau

Shame it's so limited. I have no desire to beat my head against a wall because people that live and breathe one game all day every day make it their goal in life to grief new players. This is why I never played EQ on a PvP server, imagine just trying to grind or complete a quest and being constantly screwed over by other players, not that people didn't find a way to do that on PvE servers...

Basically, PvEvP is not for me.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It is a very compelling concept but has the most toxic/abusive community
have no desire to beat my head against a wall because people that live and breathe one game all day every day make it their goal in life to grief new players.
jack-sparrow-pirates-of-the-carribean.gif

Too little, too late for me and mine. A while back me and a family member who isn't a hardcore gamer tried to get in to it, but we couldn't even learn the ship mechanics without being targeted and destroyed repeatedly to the point we just quit the game. This effort is clearly a response to the design error, but it's like putting a band aid on a deep gash.

Kilau

Yeah, I get it, but it's not a pirate simulation. It's still supposed to be a fun game, an option to let players engage in that or opt out is what I am asking for. Or even just areas that are PvE with risk/reward, like less stormy/faster routes but you have to deal with other pirates. Red Dead Online is ruined by the "outlaw anything goes" mentality too. GTAO for all its faults did it better.

Riky

$MSFT
Sounds like a really good idea for a more gentle introduction to the game, then people will be more prepared for the full experience.
Great to see another 30 million plus player game like FH5, shows that if you support your game with quality content you'll keep growing your playerbase.
Got to be Rarewares most played game in history.

King Dazzar

Sea Of Thieves Live Monthly Player Detailed

MonthAverage Monthly PlayersMonthly Gain / LossMonthly Gain / Loss %Average Daily Players
Last 30 Days3,982,470-1,961,515-33.00265,498
August 30, 20235,943,985-90,517-1.50396,266
July 30, 20236,034,502106,7001.80402,300
June 30, 20235,927,802451,7728.25395,186
May 30, 20235,476,02968,7801.27365,068
April 30, 20235,407,249-134,492-2.43360,483
March 30, 20235,541,74269,6051.27369,449
February 28, 20235,472,136321,2556.24364,809
January 30, 20235,150,881162,8303.26429,240
December 30, 20224,988,051-26,427-0.53415,670

ManaByte

Gold Member

Sea Of Thieves Live Monthly Player Detailed​

MonthAverage Monthly PlayersMonthly Gain / LossMonthly Gain / Loss %Average Daily Players
Last 30 Days3,982,470-1,961,515-33.00265,498
August 30, 20235,943,985-90,517-1.50396,266
July 30, 20236,034,502106,7001.80402,300
June 30, 20235,927,802451,7728.25395,186
May 30, 20235,476,02968,7801.27365,068
April 30, 20235,407,249-134,492-2.43360,483
March 30, 20235,541,74269,6051.27369,449
February 28, 20235,472,136321,2556.24364,809
January 30, 20235,150,881162,8303.26429,240
December 30, 20224,988,051-26,427-0.53415,670

The big drop in players is because they delayed the new season to October and everyone has run out of stuff to do. Season 9 started in MARCH. Normally they go 3-4 months.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Every toxic game has a toxic install base, otherwise you'd be able to actually sneak by. Thing is, this could be pushing WoW numbers if they had protections that WoW has and some incentive to not completely fuck new players. It's also disingenuous to say it's their most successful game ever when you're only looking at online and it's also the only one that has ever been available to basically play for free.

I have attempted this game once a year since it came out. Every single time I was repeatedly blown out of the water before I even had anything of interest, a few times I made it to an island before my ship was blown up as I spent 30 seconds looking around. Every single time my ship (often just a little sloop) was then blown up in the port before I could even get back to it, and in some cases I was chased down and killed in the town as well. I tried matchmaking into a group once and they instantly voted me into a cage and left me there, I can only assume because I was lvl1. Real pirates wouldn't bother psychotically murdering anyone who gets a thought in their head to be a pirate. They would bother when there was some kind of value attached to it. Not in this game. It's filled with experts who play to do nothing but grief for no other reason but a power trip. It is easily, far and away, the worst online gaming experience I have ever had in my life.

Last edited:

Bungie

The PVE players I've ran into through the years have been nothing but amazing! Especially the role playing ones haha. If you love pirate games and been sitting on this one, it's one of the most unique experiences I've had in gaming, do try.

Nok Su Kow

Is the Monkey Island stuff single player? like could I just jump on and play it single player? I'm not really interested in this game but I'm a huge Monkey Island fan

Every toxic game has a toxic install base, otherwise you'd be able to actually sneak by. Thing is, this could be pushing WoW numbers if they had protections that WoW has and some incentive to not completely fuck new players. It's also disingenuous to say it's their most successful game ever when you're only looking at online and it's also the only one that has ever been available to basically play for free.

I have attempted this game once a year since it came out. Every single time I was repeatedly blown out of the water before I even had anything of interest, a few times I made it to an island before my ship was blown up as I spent 30 seconds looking around. Every single time my ship (often just a little sloop) was then blown up in the port before I could even get back to it, and in some cases I was chased down and killed in the town as well. I tried matchmaking into a group once and they instantly voted me into a cage and left me there, I can only assume because I was lvl1. Real pirates wouldn't bother psychotically murdering anyone who gets a thought in their head to be a pirate. They would bother when there was some kind of value attached to it. Not in this game. It's filled with experts who play to do nothing but grief for no other reason but a power trip. It is easily, far and away, the worst online gaming experience I have ever had in my life.
Exactly this. Even GTA V has a passive mode where griefers can't attack you, and you're free to learn the mechanics before you're thrown into the lion's den. What the fuck where they ever thinking with the horrible structure of this game?

Juza

I have 1000+ hours in the game, and I have a lot of the great moments in this game. It was amazing experience. I still remember the alliance battles. I still remember us sinking two galleons with a full crew in the same battle while we were only 3 people on the brig. But I quit the game because my friends don't play it anymore, and the pub crew are mostly toxic. If you have friends who have experience in the game, you will be very lucky because you will quickly learn how this game works. otherwise you have to be mentally strong and ready to eat all the shit to enjoy this game.

I tend to agree with you. The game, by its design, causes a lot of frustration for many people, especially newcomers and I understand that. You may spend hours with 0 progress because your progress was stolen by another player who just joined the server. But what many players don't understand is that SOT is PvP focused! You must sink others and get their loot, and you must also be prepared to get sink and robbed. this is the very nature of this game but that is what actually drives the toxicity.

I once joined a public crew, they ware battling another ship and they were panicking and about to sink, I helped to get them out of that predicament. When we manage to win mostly because of my help, (I'm the one who boarded the other ship and killed the crew and set fire on their ship) my crew locked me in the brig and told me to leave because they only opened the crew to get help. I refused, and about 20 minutes or so the other ship returned, and get them sunk. and they talked shit and rage quitted. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The premise of the game has never appealed to me… pvp mmo with no xp ?? What’s the point??

StueyDuck

I always said the game needed a co-op pve only mode since literally the closed beta tests years ago.

There's no actual progression in the game so it's not like grinding solo/coop breaks the experience or anything.

Top Bottom