• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saying "Steam Deck over Switch" is unnecessary and reveals the obvious in gamers [RANT]

I love this. There are only two types of gamers: those who love Nintendo games and those who love Nintendo games. (I do too...naturally.)

But yeah, I agree. They're two different products with different benefits. (I'm also primarily a PC gamer.)
I don't give a shit about Nintendo games.

TheMan

That’s a weird comparison to make in the first place because their targets are completely different and their games are are completely different.

Astral Dog

The Switch has its disadvantages over a Steam Deck obviously, it could never run as many games so well and doesn't have access to such a big game library.

But its true these are essentially different products, without Switch there may not even be a Steam Deck today, and launching a dedicated gamming device supporting it with quality software over many years is a massive undertaking, at the end what Nintendo offers are high quality games developed exclusively for a portable, wich is very healthy for this industry imo. Simply launching hardware is not the same thing, (although convenient for people who want to play PC/Gamepass and other stuff on the go)

keefged4

I can play my Switch library on my Steam Deck at a higher resolution, higher framerate and with mods. Why would I choose the switch over this?

JCK75

I've bought a lot of tech over the last few decades, Steam Deck is the first thing I bought on launch that actually exceeded every expectation I had for it drastically.

JimboJones

I have been loving the steam deck recently but saying it's a threat to Switch is kind of like saying pc gaming is a threat to PS/Xbox.
Yeah they kind of overlap but this thing has all the advantages but a heavy dose of the disadvantages that comes with pc gaming and then some.
I've been having fun tinkering and getting "unsupported" games to work and yeah it's mostly trivial to me and lots of others, follow a few links , change a few settings.
But this thing would frustrate the hell out of some of my console friends (and possibly even some Windows oriented PC gamers) that are less tech savvy or even younger gamers unless they where absolutely fine with going in with the expectation that some of their pc games are off limits until valve curates them into a working no tinkering condition.

For me yeah it's probably gonna eat into my switch time, especially with single player indie games but it's not entirely going to replace switch which is still better for social gaming imo.

Owari

Eshop has around 1/10000 of the games as the Deck at 3X the price and Deck can emulate Switch games. if you prefer Switch you’re just a sucker at this point.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Ha! The only thing the Switch has over Steam Deck is exclusive Nintendo Games. And really, over the last few years there have been FEW titles worth owning.

'No exclusive content'? How about thousands of PC only games going back decades? Can't even play most games from the N64, Gamecube and Wii era, on the Switch.

El Muerto

Switch owners be like
Cb6IJBW.jpg

anothertech

The projected defense is the funniest part of this thread. Steam deck owners just like 'well, emulation' and switch enthusiasts 'has to be native to be a threat duhurrr'

lolol

ZoolNL

The projected defense is the funniest part of this thread. Steam deck owners just like 'well, emulation' and switch enthusiasts 'has to be native to be a threat duhurrr'

lolol
Same users playing nes, snes, n64 and megadrive games on NSO and really liking it….

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Im a pc gamer but i find comparing the switch to a steam deck (as many are doing today) is unnecessary, Obviously, if anyone is preferring the steam deck over a switch......your just preferring a pc over a console. Its a cheapshot.

You also reveal to others two things : one, you aren't really a Nintendo gamer, one who enjoys their exclusive, and two, you probably enjoy emulations of Nintendo games.

Not true at all. Both are portable gaming systems, so there's going to be some comparisons. Maybe the comparison would be closer if Nintendo would update thier hardware sometime this century.

kiphalfton

Im a pc gamer but i find comparing the switch to a steam deck (as many are doing today) is unnecessary, Obviously, if anyone is preferring the steam deck over a switch......your just preferring a pc over a console. Its a cheapshot.

You also reveal to others two things : one, you aren't really a Nintendo gamer, one who enjoys their exclusive, and two, you probably enjoy emulations of Nintendo games.

Did the definition of "obviously" change?

In any case they are two different products. They're both handhelds, sure, but the steam deck is what I would have always envisioned the PSP, PS Vita, or even Switch would be for multiplatform games. You want to play some game that released on PS2, PS3, etc. that had PC ports on the go and with good performance, well you can rest assured you can do that now uninhibited with the steam deck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom