• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Shodown II; a "perfect sequel"...and other games that did everything BETTER on the second go around

UnNamed

Banned
Street Fighter 2 is the obvious choice, but...
SF1 was bland, stiff, not that great. But it was 1987 when most of the arcade games had stiff mechanics, and basically there were no other fighting game until 1989, with Street Smart which was much better.
So we can say SF1 was innovative as SF2.

What hasn't been mentioned yet...

Tekken 2 (Itself being outdone by 3)
Virtua Fighter 2
Raiden 2
Raiden Fighters 2
Vendetta/Crime Fighters 2
Contra 3
DBZ Super Butoden 2

=P

Half Life 2
naw-mike-epps.gif

Reactions: Fuz

PUNKem733

I don't know how it can't be Street Fighter II. Went from a hot mess of a game that has nearly non existant controls and THAT roster to near videogame perfection.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Portal 2 could be another example.

I just realized that it's spelled, "Shodown" , not "Showdown". :messenger_grinning_smiling:
You and me both... In fact, I just realized thanks to your post.

Maybe we just crossed to another dimension where the game is called Shodown? :goog_relieved:

Bubsy II had a nerf gun, everyone one brought it because it was getting nerfed.

The Sniper 2 is commonly cited as one of the best games on the PS2.

Zuo

Yoshi's island aka Super Mario World 2
Mario Kart 64
Civilization II
SMW is the better traditional platformer than YI. Really comes down to what you prioritize. I could be totally wrong but I think SMW also has a more diverse soundtrack

NT80

Diablo 2
Street Fighter 2
Soul Calibur 1 (possibly the next biggest upgrade in a fighting game sequel after SF2)
Virtua Tennis 2 (really doesn't get enough credit for being such a massive improvement).
Fatal Fury 2

SMW is the better traditional platformer than YI. Really comes down to what you prioritize. I could be totally wrong but I think SMW also has a more diverse soundtrack
SMW IMO was not traditional enough. Yoshi's Island had more going for it in terms of exploration based side scrollers in that Yoshi had a unique skillset.

I'm sure this, as well as some other old skool arcade games, were given away for free via Amazon Prime Gaming a while back.

I have a few downloaded on my pc but haven't played them yet.

Samurai Shodown IV is a perfect sequel to III. So are V Special and Perfect with V.
Art of fighting 2 is a perfect sequel to 1, so is Gaiden compared to 2.

Top Bottom