• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung technician purposely knives customer's TV as to not apply warranty/free repair

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

What the actual fook...

Imagine how many people have been scammed out of their warranty due to "professionals" like this one...
Notice how he sends the customer away and also takes a look around for any potential cameras - this isn't the 1st time this motherfooker has done this.

Last edited:

Dural

Samsung are shady. Years ago I traded in a Galaxy S7 Edge for the new Note at the time and they said the S7 didn't work when it was in perfect condition so charged me an additional $300 that I was supposed to get for the trade in. I did the same thing with a tablet a couple years ago and again they rejected it. This time I talked to them and they reinstated the trade in. It seems like they automatically reject it then if you call they'll reinstate it but just how many say fuck it and don't call?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I only buy my TVs through Costco. Their extended warranty plan adding 3-4 years on top of their standard 2 years is worth it. It's like $100.

All I know is the CRT brick TVs I had in the past never broke (Panny 27" TV worked flawlessly). My last two TVs needed Costco warranty service. One was fixed, the other the repair shop said no parts available due to covid shipping issues. Who knows if thats even true. But they offered me a replacement TV for free. Looking at the reviews it was an ok TV, but considering it was 5 years after I bought it I'll take it. Only thing they said was the 5 year warranty is over, so basically in like 4 months the 5 year period is over so if this TV breaks it's not covered as this TV doesn't get another 5 years. Makes sense.

There's never a guarantee a repair guy will be honest, even an authorized technician. But always go through a big store if you can. They will use third party technicians too, but at least they will fight for you because they dont want to lose you as a store customer. There's also less likelihood a technician or company working with a big box store will screw you over as they dont want to lose the partnership deal.

The Costco/repair place partnership must be a good one since the TVs that broke were serviced by the same shop 10 years apart.

Last edited:

Mistake

It seems many manufacturers are going out of their way to be as scummy as possible these days. Third party repair is now super important, whether it's your TV or a phone

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is a disgrace, and I wonder what would incentivize the repair man to do this. DO they earn more if the repair is not under warranty? Why would you want to destroy the customers set and void the warranty.
Who knows.

Maybe repair shops get bonus money the less repairs and submitted claims back to the manufacturer they do?

According to the guy in the video, the samsung guy purposely scratched the TV because a repair panel would take a couple hours to arrive and he wanted to go home. So instead of waiting or coming back another day, he just wanted to cut the cord on the customers and bolt. If this is true, it looks like it's not even money motivated. He just wanted to go home.

Last edited:

Reallink

This is a disgrace, and I wonder what would incentivize the repair man to do this. DO they earn more if the repair is not under warranty? Why would you want to destroy the customers set and void the warranty.
"Samsung technicians" are just independent repair shops Samsung contracts for the ground labor. For in warranty repairs Samsung just pays them a low fixed cost, where as out of warranty they get to mark up the parts and labor comical amounts. In other words they make a lot more money on out of warranty repairs. This ain't a guy trying to go home early, it's a con job repair shop damaging stuff to upsell the repair.

Samsung are shady. Years ago I traded in a Galaxy S7 Edge for the new Note at the time and they said the S7 didn't work when it was in perfect condition so charged me an additional $300 that I was supposed to get for the trade in. I did the same thing with a tablet a couple years ago and again they rejected it. This time I talked to them and they reinstated the trade in. It seems like they automatically reject it then if you call they'll reinstate it but just how many say fuck it and don't call?

The companies they contract to process and inspect trade-ins are similarly financially incentivized to reject good units. There were major news stories about the scam a few years ago involving Apple or Samsung.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It seems many manufacturers are going out of their way to be as scummy as possible these days. Third party repair is now super important, whether it's your TV or a phone
This isn't Samsung doing this but a third party that is 'certified' by Samsung to do repairs. Samsung denying warranty repair due to a scratch that is obviously completely unrelated to the issue at hand is definitely some bullshit though.
Deliberately scratching a $3k TV is outright criminal.

Mistake

This isn't Samsung doing this but a third party that is 'certified' by Samsung to do repairs. Samsung denying warranty repair due to a scratch that is obviously completely unrelated to the issue at hand is definitely some bullshit though.
Deliberately scratching a $3k TV is outright criminal.
The certified technicians are usually just as bad because they have to follow the standards set by the major company that hired them. That includes the parts they're allowed to have, so you won't get a deal. Big reason why certified apple repair techs are as much a joke as going to the apple store itself. It's just a front for bs

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
That's wild.
Also in what universe would an entire circuit breaker need to be turned off to reset the TV....that's a huge and obvious red flag.
Even if he insisted, never let anyone alone in any room for shit like this, you're coming with me to the breakers.

Drew1440

Many manufacturers outsource their repair to third parties, who are a very mixed bag in terms of reputation. I had to send my Sony Xperia XZ3 for repair since the battery had started to bulge, they refused to touch it because of the water indicator despite the handset itself never being near any form of moisture.

nush

Why did Reddit take this down? Are things THAT far gone over there?
chris-pratt-its-so-much-worse.gif

Top Bottom