• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SaGA Frontier Remastered coming to Switch, PS4, PC Summer 2021

Furozen

Play Asia will have physical copies of this game for PS4/Switch. It’s the Asian region version but it’s multiple languages.

UPDATE 03/11/2021: SaGa Frontier Remastered Asia Exclusive physical release for PlayStation 4 has been canceled. Meanwhile, the Nintendo Switch version is still open for pre-order.
WTF, Square Enix?

Is this game any good, saw it on the PS5 store for Sale (one of the SaGa games) but never got into the series?
It didn't have the greatest reception back in the day, of my RPG fanatic friends only one of us played it and he wasn't too keen.

That said I have it pre-ordered because the concept is really interesting and I've always wanted to give it a shot.

demigod

Back then I got stuck on the plane and never finished it. Will rebuy it and finish it this time. The game actually reminds me of chrono trigger where you can do specials with 3 characters.

It didn't have the greatest reception back in the day, of my RPG fanatic friends only one of us played it and he wasn't too keen.

That said I have it pre-ordered because the concept is really interesting and I've always wanted to give it a shot.
I love the art style and the worlds in Saga Frontier, some of the storylines are also pretty cool. Also the background music is ace. The game oozes atmosphere, and has an otherwordly charm to it.

saintjules

New game+? Fuck yes!

• Added events that were originally planned but not included in the old release, most notably in Asellus' route. Select "Activate Additional Content" when starting a new game to access them.
  • New Game+: Starts a new playthrough by carrying over items, credits, parameters, techniques, etc from a save data for improved replayability. Some scenario items will be excluded.
  • Optional feature to show map pointers on accessing other areas (can be turned off at Config).
  • Config option to increase Map or Battle speeds by 2x or 3x.
  • Activating Additional Content will allow you to escape from battles. Escaping won't add to the battle amount tally. [Editor's Note: Battle Tally is an important function in SaGa titles.
  • New Scenario Chart shows the current objective and how far you've gone through the story
  • Added Library mode to let you listen to game BGMs or view the gallery & staff credits
  • Auto-Equipment button lets the game set the best gears on its own. You can also determine the weapon type to be selected
  • The original game would not let you sell or discard items except for a few of them. This remaster will finally let you actually discard items

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
Ability to sell and discard is great, kind of they didn’t put a scenario checker in the game but I get why they did it. One of the biggest reasons I love that game was that you never knew what you’ll walk into with its non-linear exploring, and what quests activate.

KiteGr

PAcmBAP.gif

saintjules

Some things I discovered. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong (timestamps).

Red and Blue never coexist in battles. There was a funny bit in Red's storyline early on when
he finds Blue on the Cygnus
So I find it interesting this happens, unless they were placed together just for the Trailer presentation.

Looks like there's at least 2 new side characters not in the original. Ren and Silence.

Edit: Seems Silence was recruitable in the original. The Character Mesarthim cannot be recruited if Silence is in the party though. As for Ren, he was originally a non-playable character, but is in the remaster.

Edit 2: Some People are pointing out that Blue and Red coexist under the same Party because of Fuse's storyline.

Last edited:

KiteGr

I loved the second one on psx back in the days, i fucking loved the artstyle.
This one has the old style pre-rendered backgrounds of FF7.
Nothing like the Painted Backgrounds of SF2.
164925-saga-frontier-playstation-screenshot-t260-is-a-robot-who-has.jpg
480full.jpg

The good news are that SF2 was considered bad despite the graphical upgrade, following a much more linear plot with just 2 characters instead of 8 or 7, and had you jump around them every moment. You might find the first game much more open and focused. ...unless you actually wanted your RPGs linear in the first place, and in that case, the saga games simply aren't for you.

Silvawuff

Played this back in the day. This game knows how to kick you in the teeth. SF2 was just gorgeous with the watercolor art style. It’s a good game but it’s not for everyone, especially with time demands and stuff...

Pallas

Gold Member
It’s sitting at 79 on metacritic right now which is honestly not bad for this game in my opinion. I can only imagine what the original would of had.

Even though I love the original game to death, it wasn’t very friendly and was quite a mess with a lot of cut content but what it did have was great. Interesting cast of characters, exploring, challenging battles side quests out of no where, masterful soundtrack to boot.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Back when we were in the golden age of JRPGs, this game was considered... OK. Maybe even poor. It was brushed off. Now, we are so starved for these types of JRPGS, this is now a classic and a must have for a lot of people.

Time sure does strange things.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Back when we were in the golden age of JRPGs, this game was considered... OK. Maybe even poor. It was brushed off. Now, we are so starved for these types of JRPGS, this is now a classic and a must have for a lot of people.

Time sure does strange things.
It’s a very niche, unconventional JRPG that is not for everybody. Some people loved it and some people hated it. That’s how it was received back then and that’s how it’s being received now.

If you want an example of a mediocre JRPG that is being handled with kid gloves because people are so starved for them, Octopath Traveler or Bravely Default 2 better fit that description.

It’s a very niche, unconventional JRPG that is not for everybody. Some people loved it and some people hated it. That’s how it was received back then and that’s how it’s being received now.

If you want an example of a mediocre JRPG that is being handled with kid gloves because people are so starved for them, Octopath Traveler or Bravely Default 2 better fit that description.
I agree, Octopath was garbo. I tried for 20h but the game is very stale.

Last edited:

saintjules

The time has nearly arrived.

Hopefully returning players get a jolt of nostalgia as we re-enter this universe again...and to the newcomers who can hopefully enjoy and understand why there's many fans out there that appreciate this gem in the series.

One of my favorite fights!

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
The time has nearly arrived.

Hopefully returning players get a jolt of nostalgia as we re-enter this universe again...and to the newcomers who can hopefully enjoy and understand why there's many fans out there that appreciate this gem in the series.

One of my favorite fights!

Always enjoyed that fight solely based on the music.

KiteGr

Is this available on steam on anyone ales?
When is this supposed to be available?

EDIT: Ignore what I just said. It just unlocked.

Last edited:
1998 “classic”
I don't play JRPGs, but this definitely brought back memories of flipping through the pages of OPM and probably seeing a full page add for this game or another one like it. Classic enough for me I guess. The real question is: will the addition of this so called "Fuse" be enough to get me to play a game I only barely recall on a full page add? Stick around cause!....
.......................................................................................................................................................
well be right back eric andre GIF by The Eric Andre Show

Last edited:

Xeaker

Why only Switch physical and no PS4? I don't buy digital :messenger_pouting:
I hope Saga Frontier 2 and Unlimited Saga Remaster are coming physical to PS4. Stupid Devs and their digital fetish.

Pallas

Gold Member
Why only Switch physical and no PS4? I don't buy digital :messenger_pouting:
I hope Saga Frontier 2 and Unlimited Saga Remaster are coming physical to PS4. Stupid Devs and their digital fetish.
Was originally planned but they scrapped those plans and btw, physical switch version is only in Asia but it comes with the English language as a option I believe.

Teslerum

This and the Legend of Mana remaster had some decent, well done work put in, upscaling was very decent, LoM was even re-drawn. Continuing steady improvements in their remaster work.

Then they somehow made the Chrono Cross remaster.

Last edited:
Top Bottom