• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SaGA Frontier Remastered coming to Switch, PS4, PC Summer 2021

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
This is so awesome the protagonist is probably Fuse. I think there are bits of code in the game that were still left in the game. Maybe they will even flesh out the Blue/Rouge ending

Not just probably. It's confirmed the new protagonist is Fuse! I can't wait. And yeah, I hope they touch up the Blue story

Pallas

Gold Member
Holy shit, I loved this game back during the PS1 era. Enjoyed the challenge, different story sceneries and music but unfortunately the game back then was unfinished. It was so rushed that they even left one characters scenario out(Fuse)but kept locations and dungeons that relate to that character. So it was also very confusing.

But from the looks of that remaster video, they’re fixing it and making sure his story is in the game. This is incredible.

KàIRóS

Oh shit I hadn't seen this thread, this is so hype, hopefully they'll also remaster Frontier II with it's awesome artstyle.

They are not connected. SaGa Frontier is an interesting game to remaster, it wasn't particularly well loved when compared to Square's output during the PS1 era. The inclusion of new content, including the cut protagonist is definitely interesting but I'm curious how "HD" the 2D elements of the game are and whether or not they ran the backgrounds through an AI upscaler. They haven't in the past with the Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9 remasters.
I still enjoyed them all to buy them on all platforms so I'm part of the problem, I love those games dearly.

Pallas

Gold Member
I’m hoping they flesh out Lute’s story or make it a bit less confusing since his pretty much one dungeon then bam final boss if you don’t roam and do optional shit.

First of all, this is awesome.

Secondly, it's weird that these remasters of SaGa games exist at all. We're getting the SaGa collection in a few weeks, which is the first three GameBoy games. Romancing SaGa 2 and 3 are out for modern consoles as well. This is coming, as I'm sure SaGa Frontier 2 is (seriously, why would they go to all the trouble of making this if the sequel wasn't already in the works using the same tools?). That just leaves two PS2 games (the first Romancing SaGa remake, and Unlimited SaGa, both which had a US release) and some internet / mobile titles and the entire franchise is playable on modern stuff.

Meanwhile, the Final Fantasy series is more popular than ever. If they made a Final Fantasy V or VI remake using this type of style, it would be amazing. Even though it could be an obviously budget title, as long as they put care and love into re-crafting these games - like it looks like they did here - it would be a triumph. Seems pretty odd that they're just rolling with the hugely criticized "mobile" games as their answer to people wanting to play these classics on modern hardware.

That is a bit weird, I’m wondering if the creator, Kawazu?(I think) was given free reign to pick out IP’s to work on/Remaster.

saintjules

I can't believe they actually remastered this and even added Fuse's storyline. That's amazing.

syFpn7u.jpg

One of my top 10 JRPGs of all time. When you have a perfect combo of music, story and battle mechanics, it's just Ana amazing experience. This game definitely has it. Love Kenji Ito's work in this as well. Really brings the adrenaline in his music.

Last edited:

saintjules

I wasted a weekend rental on this game from a video store and still feel gypped. Of all the things hey could've remastered.

Too bad there's some didn't like this. It is what it is. Personally can't wait for the remaster.

Last edited:

Madonis

Cool, I love when games get cut content added back in for a remaster.

I never played this particular one though.

alf717

I own this on PS1 but it didn't really click for me. Music is amazing though and I really enjoyed watching combo videos on Youtube were the player destroys a boss. Saga Frontier 2 was pretty good. I beat Gustave's scenario but never Wil's with the egg battle. I think I soft locked myself and just couldn't beat that final boss.

Looks like they chucked one of those emulator filters on it and called it a day.

Kitase is a fucking fraud.
Hell yeah. I mean As a director he is responsible for Chrono Trigger, FF6 and FF7, 3 of the best games in the genre. And as a producer, he's responsible for the FF series from 2000 onwards, where it has been incredibly financially successful - meaning he is doing a good job as a producer.

But what a fraud! Right guys?

Last edited:
Looks like they chucked one of those emulator filters on it and called it a day.

Hell yeah. I mean As a director he is responsible for Chrono Trigger, FF6 and FF7, 3 of the best games in the genre. And as a producer, he's responsible for the FF series from 2000 onwards, where it has been incredibly financially successful - meaning he is doing a good job as a producer.

The guy who wrote that is a moron, and anyone who agrees with him is also a moron. Doesn't have a fucking clue what he's talking about.

Teslerum

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

3 games where a large part of the creative work was done by other people. And 20 years of nearly continious decline of quality and stagnation and giving the most resources to his little group of friends. With the exception of one project that he keeps his hands out (Yoshi'P's FF XIV)

Yeah, fantastic. Truly on par with Sakaguchi who created FF, constantly improved and promoted new people during his reign and supported projects to no end (Leading to Xenogears and subsequently all of what came after, Parasite Eve, FF: Tactics+(and subsequently the mindset that led to the current XIV team), Kitase! himself and so on and so on .

Kitase has good parts and done good things (FFVI is my favourite JRPG of all time). How he handled Square's creative direction over the past 20 comes in no way, no way close to the Square of the 90's and if anything is a disappointment with bright spots.

Last edited:

3 games where a large part of the creative work was done by other people. And 20 years of nearly continious decline of quality and stagnation and giving the most resources to his little group of friends. With the exception of one project that he keeps his hands out (Yoshi'P's FF XIV)

Yeah, fantastic. Truly on par with Sakaguchi who created FF, constantly improved and promoted new people during his reign and supported projects to no end (Leading to Xenogears and subsequently all of what came after, Parasite Eve, FF: Tactics+(and subsequently the mindset that led to the current XIV team), Kitase! himself and so on and so on .

Kitase has good parts and done good things (FFVI is my favourite JRPG of all time). How he handled Square's creative direction over the past 20 comes in no way, no way close to the Square of the 90's and if anything is a vast disappointment.

Were you dropped on the head as an infant? Your grammar certainly shows it, but your logic is far worse. The last game Sakaguchi directed was FF5, after that he was a producer. In case you don't know what that means, a director deals with the creative decisions, while a producer deals with the business aspect. So unless your implying FF1-5 > FF6-10 plus CT, you're wrong. Kitase was responsible for Square best creative decisions, in the past two decades.

lachesis

I couldn't get into SaGA Frontier because of language barrier, and the character designs really didn't stick with me for some reason back then. (I had a import ver, and gave up in the middle - even though I had hears so much of praise for the game back then).

If the pricing is good, I may look into this...

Teslerum

Were you dropped on the head as an infant? Your grammar certainly shows it, but your logic is far worse. The last game Sakaguchi directed was FF5, after that he was a producer. In case you don't know what that means, a director deals with the creative decisions, while a producer deals with the business aspect. So unless your implying FF1-5 > FF6-10 plus CT, you're wrong. Kitase was responsible for Square best creative decisions, in the past two decades.

No, I actually know what I'm talking about, because I've done my research regarding the development of those games. (Also insulting grammar on the internet, nice one!)

Sakaguchi contributed vastly on the creative side even after FF5 with advice, high level design, providing ideas, providing pitches (with one resulting in Parasite Eve), promoting, mentoring and supporting designers (FF: Tactics was literary Sakaguchi persuading Matsuno from Quest to join Square and surrounding him with his own personal dream team. Matsuno and his legacy wouldn't be at Square without Sakaguchi) and lobbying for rejected game ideas (Xenogears and multiple others.)

As far as Playstation FF's go he was involved in VII (especially pre-production) and very closely in IX. Both from a business and creative perspective Conversely, FFVIII is probably the Square title he was least involved in Pre-PS2.

All of this is fact. Hell even on Kingdom Hearts, Sakaguchi was the one suggesting a more involved story (With the others wanting to keep it dead simple). Even if Nomura ran away into crazyland with that post-KH1.

P.S. Sakaguchi created the core concept of Chrono Trigger and was in charge of the game's design. Sakaguchi was also the one lobbying for Trigger to become a larger series. One of the battles he sadly lost against the executive brass and in turn got booted off Cross.

P.P.S Sakaguchi had an eye for people from the very beginning btw. Personally inviting Kawazu (who would later create the long running SAGA series) on his FF 1 team.

Last edited:
No, I actually know what I'm talking about, because I've done my research regarding the development of those games. (Also insulting grammar on the internet, nice one!)

Sakaguchi contributed vastly on the creative side even after FF5 with advice, high level design, providing ideas, providing pitches (with one resulting in Parasite Eve), promoting, mentoring and supporting designers (FF: Tactics was literary Sakaguchi persuading Matsuno from Quest to join Square and surrounding him with his own personal dream team. Matsuno and his legacy wouldn't be at Square without Sakaguchi) and lobbying for rejected game ideas (Xenogears and multiple others.)

As far as Playstation FF's go he was involved in VII (especially pre-production) and very closely in IX. Both from a business and creative perspective Conversely, FFVIII is probably the Square title he was least involved in Pre-PS2.

All of this is fact. Hell even on Kingdom Hearts, Sakaguchi was the one suggesting a more involved story (With the others wanting to keep it dead simple). Even if Nomura ran away into crazyland with that post-KH1.

P.S. Sakaguchi created the core concept of Chrono Trigger and was in charge of the game's design. Sakaguchi was also the one lobbying for Trigger to become a larger series. One of the battles he sadly lost against the executive brass and in turn got booted off Cross.

You're further supporting he had little involvement compared to Kitase as far a creative direction. Pitching ideas =/= creative control, and promoting is part of the business aspect. But hell you know what you're talking about, let see those sources claiming he had more creative control over Kitase.

Teslerum

You're further supporting he had little involvement compared to Kitase as far a creative direction. Pitching ideas =/= creative control, and promoting is part of the business aspect. But hell you know what you're talking about, let see those sources claiming he had more creative control over Kitase.

Cherry-picking words (not even any context. Just the words) and ignoring the examples. (And even completely ignoring the last bit)

Sorry, I only engage in good faith.

- For anyone reading this *argument*. Just look at the post below me and the guy calling me out for not researching. While I, so far, was the only one actually providing actual real world examples of Sakaguchi's involvements. Classic example of arguing in bad faith and why any further discussion is useless.

Last edited:

Cherry-picking words (not even any context. Just the words) and ignoring the examples. (And even completely ignoring the last bit)

Sorry, I only engage in good faith.

Those were words you chose to reinforce your argument. Next time you should research a job involvement before you agree on calling someone a fraud.

KiteGr

I'm in the middle of going through the romancing series. I was planning on emulating this one, but I was sceptic when I've heard that it has incomplete/cut content.

I love these remakes, and I'll be sure to buy this once the price becomes reasonable.

Graciaus

I found this game impossible to beat as a child. Could only manage to beat a couple of the episodes. Found out later in life common game knowledge doesn't apply to the Saga series.

I hope they do the second game eventually the art style was great but I never got around to playing it.

KiteGr

Since I find a lot of Saga fans gathered here...

How many virgins do I have to sacrifice to make the Steam Release of Romancing Saga 2 to work consistently with a controller?
I've tried 3rd party, PS4 and recently bought XB1 controllers. I've played with the controller settings. I've gone in and out of full screen. I've tested the controllers them selfs on other games (including Romancing Saga 3) to make sure it's not their fault. Some times they work. Most of the times they don't.

What am I doing wrong.

Teslerum

Since I find a lot of Saga fans gathered here...

How many virgins do I have to sacrifice to make the Steam Release of Romancing Saga 2 to work consistently with a controller?
I've tried 3rd party, PS4 and recently bought XB1 controllers. I've played with the controller settings. I've gone in and out of full screen. I've tested the controllers them selfs on other games (including Romancing Saga 3) to make sure it's not their fault. Some times they work. Most of the times they don't.

What am I doing wrong.

Try to start the game in Steam's big picture mod.

Last edited:

KiteGr

Try to start the game in Steam's big picture mod.
Already did. Nothing changed!
The controllers occasionally work when I'm using one for the first time. Last time my brand new XB1 controller seems to consistently worked on my Desktop, yet the exact same controller didn't work on my laptop. After trying for ours, I managed to get it to work consistently on my laptop by unplugging it and re-plugging it mid-game.
Still, this game's controller support is abysmal!

I wonder why the saga series and mana series getting so much love from square these days. Are these games really more popular than chrono trigger? xenogears? Parasite eve?

Just my opinion but I would say lack of talent. All three games are masterpieces and are made by incredible teams that have long left the company. Honestly I think all three titles are best left alone at this point. Look what Square did with the the additional dungeon in Chrono Trigger. It's literally a series of fetch quests one right after the next in a game that had some of the most meaningful side quests in RPG history. If they can't get an extra dungeon right I don't want them touching anything else.

saintjules

Always loved the combos in this game. Movesets had a similar feels like in Xenogears (timestamped)

Last edited:

saintjules

Looks like it's been pushed up from Summer to April 15th. It was shown again during Nintendo Direct

SaGa Frontier Remastered will be available on the Nintendo Switch™ system, the PlayStation®4 system, PC (STEAM®) and iOS and Android mobile devices on April 15. This game will include upgraded graphics optimized for modern platforms to bring the game’s characters to life like never before

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Again no Xbox? Square either has a shady deal with Sony about Xbox ports or Sony really is buying square Enix at least heavily investing.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Looks like it's been pushed up from Summer to April 15th. It was shown again during Nintendo Direct

pleasant surprise to have it come in April, honestly that's probably a better time for it to release too with the onslaught of games we're going to see starting in May

I have fond memories of Saga Frontier 1 when I was a kid so I'll likely pick it up at launch though I'm not sure if I'll get it on Switch or PS5 yet (probably Switch though for the portability unless reviews say it struggles but this seems like a game that should run without issues)

Last edited:

saintjules

pleasant surprise to have it come in April, honestly that's probably a better time for it to release too with the onslaught of games we're going to see starting in May

I have fond memories of Saga Frontier 1 when I was a kid so I'll likely pick it up at launch though I'm not sure if I'll get it on Switch or PS5 yet (probably Switch though for the portability unless reviews say it struggles but this seems like a game that should run without issues)

Yeah im happy to see this come sooner honestly. I played the original when I was 15 (now 37). Still have the disc. The game just hits all the marks for me that the modern JRPGs are struggling with, especially the music. I just wish they brought all the characters together for one major story.

Glad to see Fuse's story come to life. I only read on how it was removed due to time constraints, along with parts to Asellus' story. Doesn't seem we'll get to see the Chanellers story.

Pallas

Gold Member
Again no Xbox? Square either has a shady deal with Sony about Xbox ports or Sony really is buying square Enix at least heavily investing.
Well, it could just be a Sony deal regarding Xbox ports since the previous Saga games released on Xbox were originally on Nintendo. Or maybe the saga ports didn’t sell that well on Xbox.

Mr.ODST

Is this game any good, saw it on the PS5 store for Sale (one of the SaGa games) but never got into the series?

Is this game any good, saw it on the PS5 store for Sale (one of the SaGa games) but never got into the series?
Saga 2 wasn't too good, nor was Saga Unlimited from what I recall.

But this one, Saga Frontier, was a hidden playstation gem. It is a bit unstructured, in that you have to explore several places to learn where to continue with the plot. It also takes a bit to get the hang of it, but once you get the hang of it it is very addictive.

Top Bottom