• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryu Ga Gotoku: Ishin |OT| We love samurai stuff in the west too, Sega!

Sgblues

h6pUXzu.png

SVHMrBw.png

Developers - Ryu Ga Gotoku creative team studio
Publisher - Sega
Release Date - February 22, 2014
Platform - PS3 and PS4
Game Size - 22.2 GB
Genre - An open world, action adventure styled beat 'em up with rpg elements
Rating - CERO - D (Gamers ages 17 and up)
Availability - Downloadable on JP PSN or retail disc(Import only at the moment)
Extra #1 - Playstation Vita companion app that not only allows cross play it also allows you to your save between devices to import levels, money, items, farming, do battle dungeons and other mini games.
Extra #2 - The PS4 version is 1080p and runs at 60fps, while the PS3 version is 720p and runs at 30fps.

Official Website

1GxURXD.png

92KuJbt.png

Ryu Ga Gotoku(Like a dragon) or Yakuza as it is known in the west, is a popular series created by Toshihiro Nagoshi, that features rich story telling, compelling and well liked characters who, are often the forefront of the series' driving point along with its over the top combat, its take on the Yakuza and the Japanese underworld, it is wildly popular in Japan and has also made lots of fans in the west. While normally the series focuses on Kazuma Kiryu and takes place in modern day Japan, this game is one of the many spin off titles that goes back to ancient Japan and takes ques from another spin off before it, Ryu Ga Gotoku: Kenzan.

Here the story takes place during the Bakumatsu period with characters from the Yakuza series in the parts of the historical figures from this time. The title "Ishin" mean restoration and this was a major turning point in Japanese history and a subject of many books, plays and movies.

QfpidZq.png

The historical figure Sakamoto Ryoma, who attempted to overthrow the Shogunate at the end of the Edo Era. His goal is to destroy the swordsman who killed his father and the honored teacher Yoshida Toyo before his eyes. After sleuthing for a year and finding that all riddles begin and end with the Shinsengumi, Ryoma disguises himself as Shinsengumi captain Saito Hajime and heads for this assassin’s group.

G0nsBRZ.png

New to the series, are the four new styles that Ryoma(Kiryu) can switch between at anytime:

Q0DKtNM.png

The two handed style allows him use the full power of melee weapons, it is also needed for weapons that require strength to use such as great swords/long swords, hammers other large weapons.

VDSJkFt.png

The gun style allows him to not only use various firearms to attack from a range but allows him to grapple enemies and get up close and personal to shoot them and fire powerup shots that use special ammo.

8jivhBD.png

A familiar style to those who, know the series. The bare handed style allows you to melee foes with your fists, pick up items from your surroundings to use as weapons, throw and bash your enemies into walls, the floor, railings and other places but also new to the style(and for Kiryu's character in general) is the ability to counter attacks with parries allowing you to negate attacks directed at you.

4zq6ZpX.png

And finally the dual-wield style, as the name implies you can use both a gun and sword in tandem to attack, giving you both the abilities to attack from far away or melee up close, the style gives you more flexibility in attacking though certain weapon types would be unusable as they would need both hands to use.

cqqrANe.png

Weapon and Armor crafting:

sC0UUWd.jpg

A staple of the series, here weapon crafting has evolved where you can influence the stats and attributes of the items you create.

The weapon and armor training system has the biggest volume of the series.

Not only is there the katana and pistol, there are also special weapons including the spear, long sword, and cannon.

Furthermore you can equip armor on your head, arms, and chest, resulting in endless combinations.

Test your weapons at the blacksmith.

You can create and strengthen your armor at the blacksmith. By working, your blacksmithing skills will improve.

Creating and strengthening weapons requires raw materials, of which there are over 100 kinds.

These materials can be found in various ways, including when you defeat enemies and pick up the items they drop, when you break jars during battle, when you help people, and when you cultivate vegetables. You can collect them in various ways.

The rewards you get from clearing the battle dungeon also make for an effective way to collect materials.

At the blacksmith, by adding materials to your base weapon you can make new weapons.

Of the weapons you can make, aside from the attack and defense parameters there are also special abilities like cladding yourself in flame or making enemy defense easy to pull down.

It is also possible to make special flame and lightning bullets.

There are three ways to strengthen your weapons and armor: tempering, status elevation, and synthesis.

Tempering: By forging and fixing weapons and armor, your basic attack, defense power, and abilities will level up. There is an upper limit to the numerical values, but raising the status of a weapon or armor will yield even more possibilities with tempering.

Status Elevation: All weapons and armor without exception will be dull immediately after being made. With status elevation you can strengthen each high weapon or armor, such as by making a sharp sword into a first-rate sword. By promoting your weapons and armor, the upper limits of tempering will not only be thrown open, competition with enemies will become advantageous components that control the state of the war.

Synthesis: Cross breed weapons or armor. The abilities of the arms that you make into raw materials are marked into base arms. Weapons that feature the abilities of both can be made. The number of marks differs depending on the weapon or armor.

ss3.jpg

Levels and Grades:

2jImiwB.jpg

Of the components of growth for the main character Sakamoto Ryoma there are levels (max 99) and four types of grades (max 25).

With each gradation you will obtain a “spirit globe,” and by injecting these you will acquire more abilities.

The main character’s level will go up with the experience points accumulated by defeating enemies and clearing goals, and can be raised up to 99. When you level up, your physical strength and hand-to-hand attack power will rise.

By using and fighting with the four types of unique grades, sword, pistol, boisterous dance, and hand-to-hand combat, you can rise to 25.

Leveling up and raising grades will allow you to obtain a “spirit globe.” Inject these into techniques in the ability enhance screen and you will be able to make use of them in battle.

Ability enhance items are divided into types, and the training spirit globe you acquire by leveling up can be put inserted in each slide. But the spirit globes acquired by grading up are colored and can only be injected into with abilities of the same type.

How far the grade of each type can be raised, and where you inject spirit globes, will greatly influence your fighting style.

Records & War Record:

UBApMLW.jpg

The battle evaluation system “war record” has been added. Answering to the main character’s fighting style in each battle, “records” will be decided, and experience points and rewards will increase and decrease.

In battle, how well you perform combo attacks and if you decided on counter techniques or hit action—answering to these actions, valuation will be added and you can raise your “records” grade by grade.

When the grade of each “record” is raised, experience points you gain from that battle onward will increase, and will be added to the “collective war record” that is calculated when you finish a battle.

When battles finish, the entire valuation will be displayed as the “collective war record.” Sum up the valuations at the end of battle, and depending on the variation of the techniques you used and their difficulty, the valuation will be determined. As valuations rise, you will receive wrapped offerings of money and added experience points.

Substories, other actives and minigames:

Just like in previous titles you can do substories, which are side quests and also can have fun playing the loads of minigames the series is known for, also many of them are actually beneficial now as you can cook fish you catch which gives you stats and attribute boosts when consumed as food.

Ybr2NNd.jpg

rZoULJW.png

Q: I heard this series is a GTA clone, I'm angry that it is! Or alternatively I'm angry because its not!

A: Well that's been a long standing stigma that's plagued the series since the start. The series has never be like GTA ever, it was just a bad marketing ploy in the west and one that has hurt the series even to this day.

Q: Yo why are you calling this Ryu Ga Gotoku?? Say Yakuza: Ishin in the title!

A: Well because only the Japanese version has been released and there hasn't been any talk about this game being localized so using the Japanese name.

Q: Hey guy, since the game is in Japanese, would I have a hard time understanding what is going on from what I normally do even when its in English and on the screen for me to read?
6x5u38p.png

A: Yeah these games are very text heavy and would be very hard to understand what's going on unless you have some basic knowledge of Japanese but if you wanna jump in, then go ahead as there are people working hard on translated guides for everyone(Like KHH subs, please show your love when you can)

Q: Gwar! Yakuza 4!
image.php

A: Don't start, lol

Q: Hey hey! Any word on when this is coming to the west???!

A:
4jqrhi5teth.jpg

Screenshots:

qfsqz69.jpg
gDhGl2j.jpg
gIsZShs.jpg
TkUrjhu.jpg

Gif action:

gifvid2pbsrc.gif
gifvid44usx4.gif

tumblr_mtn7zuEjFa1s0otclo1_500.gif
gifvid819sbw.gif

x7GU2TX.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This will be great when it's part of the Yakuza Kenzan/Ishin double pack that Atlus is releasing in a few months.

culafia

So, just to be 100% sure, Ishin *isnt* a sequel of Kenzan? If so, I could definitely see a chance of the PS4 version getting localized.

"Pft people outside Japan have never even heard of samurai, much less a yakuza! why would we localize it, give those bitches another sonic game, thats what they like right?"

Amazing ot.

I will have to import this at one point. But let's keep hope, let's spam @yosp for some movement ! We need more love Sega !

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nice OT! I'm about 5 hours in on the PS4. Probably switch between the hand-to-hand style and Ranbu gun-and-sword style during most combat scenarios.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
So, just to be 100% sure, Ishin *isnt* a sequel of Kenzan? If so, I could definitely see a chance of the PS4 version getting localized.

No its not related to Kenzan. Totally different period in Japanese history.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I would buy the everloving shit out of a localized version. Fuck, I'd pay $150 for it. What fucking ever. Just gimme, Sega.

Anyway, nice OP. Game is going to be awesome.

Cess007

I've never been so sad while i subscribe to a thread. Come ooon Sega, i will settle for a digital release with subs!!

This will be great when it's part of the Yakuza Kenzan/Ishin double pack that Atlus is releasing in a few months.

Don't do me that man :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

As Parakeet said, they take place in different time periods and aren't directly related.

They do both take place in Kyoto for the most part, which makes it interesting to see the difference in how the city is portrayed.

Dunan

Just saw this in PlayStation magazine and found myself wanting to try a Ryu ga Gotoku game for the first time. I used to live in Kyoto and spotted the Mibu and Gion districts in the game; is the whole thing set there? Is the voice acting Kyoto-accented? If so, I'll be buying this.

Parakeetman

Just saw this in PlayStation magazine and found myself wanting to try a Ryu ga Gotoku game for the first time. I used to live in Kyoto and spotted the Mibu and Gion districts in the game; is the whole thing set there? Is the voice acting Kyoto-accented? If so, I'll be buying this.

The way the characters speak is more according to how the base character from the Ryu Ga Gotoku series spoke. So its not exactly like they went and changed how X character speaks to match the setting hes in, if that makes sense.

Kiryu sounds like Kiryu
Majima sounds like Majima

Reason for that being is the fans would shit a kitten if they changed the characters personality in that sense.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Kyoto natives in the game speak the dialect for the most part.

The way the characters speak is more according to how the base character from the Ryu Ga Gotoku series spoke. So its not exactly like they went and changed how X character speaks to match the setting hes in, if that makes sense.

Kiryu sounds like Kiryu
Majima sounds like Majima

Reason for that being is the fans would shit a kitten if they changed the characters personality in that sense.

Hilarious how Kiryu and the characters voiced by famous actors just speak normally despite their comrades and such sounding like a bunch of country bumpkins.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
totobeni hates Yakuza 4 with a passion.

A hatred I will genuinely never understand if you love the other Yakuza games. Dead Souls hatred I can understand even if I really like it myself, it's a weird spin off and very different (and at the same time very Yakuza)

Never gets old though lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Presumably they can read Japanese.

That said, Kenzan has a good guide and all the cutscenes are subbed on Youtube.

If only someone would do that with Y5...

SnakeEyes

Banned
After the Yakuza 3 and Yakuza 4 debacle on the PS3, I was hoping we'd at least see this come to the West for the PS4 as part of the launch-period of games.

I am a sad panda ~_~

Parakeetman

Kyoto natives in the game speak the dialect for the most part.

Hilarious how Kiryu and the characters voiced by famous actors just speak normally despite their comrades and such sounding like a bunch of country bumpkins.

Am just glad that Majima has a larger role this time around was disappointing in 5 D: Even the VA told fans to look forward to Ishin in his interview lol

Awesome summary here. I've been avoiding any details since Sega told us they had no plans of bringing it over to the west but I can't help to go through this here.

My crushed dreams still lie on the floor in splinters, Sega.

no joke, a localisation of this would tip me over the edge when considering a purchase of a PS4. I

Same here. This would definitely be a "system buyer", at least for me.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Presumably they can read Japanese.

That said, Kenzan has a good guide and all the cutscenes are subbed on Youtube.

If only someone would do that with Y5...

I tried with an import copy of Kenzan but I just couldn't do it, I didn't enjoy it the same sitting their with a guide and needing to use youtube for cutscenes. The stories, characters, dialogue etc is such a big part of the games for me I'd rather skip them than have a version I barely understand/can't really get into.

I won't stop complaining about them not being localised though :p

I really want this game. I can handle Japanese games in a lot of cases, but I want to be able to understand the dialog with this and not just memorize the choices/options.

Even after typing that, I still might get it. What does one have to do to get this digitally on their US PS4?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I tried with an import copy of Kenzan but I just couldn't do it, I didn't enjoy it the same sitting their with a guide and needing to use youtube for cutscene. The stories, characters, dialogue etc is such a big part of the games for me I'd rather skip them than have a version I barely understand/can't really get into.

I won't stop complaining about them not being localised though :p
Yeah, I couldn't do it either. I wish I was a kid again, because it's how I played FF5. lol

Parakeetman

I really want this game. I can handle Japanese games in a lot of cases, but I want to be able to understand the dialog with this and not just memorize the choices/options.

Even after typing that, I still might get it. What does one have to do to get this digitally on their US PS4?

Get a JPSN account.

Get JPSN point cards as foreign CCs dont work

?

Profit!

The price might freak you out though for the digital version. Someone mentioned 8600 Yen

Get a JPSN account.

Get JPSN point cards as foreign CCs dont work

?

Profit!

The price might freak you out though for the digital version.

Thank you. Are there any repercussions here? I came over from 360 last gen so I don't know about Sony's policies in situations like this.

Would I be able to play this on my main PSN acct or do I have to log in the JPN acct each time?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thank you. Are there any repercussions here? I came over from 360 last gen so I don't know about Sony's policies in situations like this.

Would I be able to play this on my main PSN acct or do I have to log in the JPN acct each time?
It works on your main account as long as you are on the same PS4.

Parakeetman

No real repercussions I can think of as long as you get everything legally. They allow for multiple region account creation to access the various stores so it should be a non issue.

No you should be able to play on your main PSN account, though for any DLC content if there is any that needs to be bought using the JPSN account.

No policy issues or anything like that. You would never need to log back into the JPN account after purchase/download. Trophies would even post to your US (etc) account.

I think the thread title needs work. If I didn't already know about the game, I wouldn't be enticed to check out the thread. "It's kinda like _____________ meets ______________ in 1800s Japan." And you guys can fill in those blanks because I have no idea what it plays like. The little gameplay I saw said "Ninja Gaiden" to me though.

EricB

Game is out in Korea as well. As with all previous games in the series, it comes with a story guide (in Korean of course) for the entire game. It also costs about half of what it does in Japan. Played a bit of the first chapter on my Vita last night with my wife translating from the guide. It's great to be playing Ryu Ga Gotoku again.

I have to disagree about playing with a guide. Though obviously a translation would be ideal, I played through Kenzan! with ThePatrick's guide and I had a great time. I don't finish a lot of games these days but I finished both that game and Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 in Japanese using guides (before Yakuza 3 came out). There is just something about this series that is so good, but it is hard to nail down exactly what it is.

Anyway, to the person who asked why we would play if we don't understand:

Enjoyment.

Even though I can't understand the game without a guide, I enjoy it more than I do playing most other games that I do understand.
Give me the game in English and I'll buy it immediately - as I did with both Yakuza 3 & 4.

Thanks dudes, I might buy this tonight. Haven't played any of them since the first Yakuza which was a good time.

Awesome news on being able to buy international games with no real hoops too. If they streamlined it a little bit more they could just release all games on the same marketplace. With everyone having access to everything, it would probably make a lot more sense financially to include subtitles by default.

excellent op. believe! :) ...

I have to disagree about playing with a guide. Though obviously a translation would be ideal, I played through Kenzan! with ThePatrick's guide and I had a great time. I don't finish a lot of games these days but I finished both that game and Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 in Japanese using guides (before Yakuza 3 came out). There is just something about this series that is so good, but it is hard to nail down exactly what it is.

Anyway, to the person who asked why we would play if we don't understand:

Enjoyment.

Even though I can't understand the game without a guide, I enjoy it more than I do playing most other games that I do understand...

yeah, absolutely this. kenzan's still my favorite yakuza game. all praise to thepatrick!...

Parakeetman

Thanks dudes, I might buy this tonight. Haven't played any of them since the first Yakuza which was a good time.

Awesome news on being able to buy international games with no real hoops too. If they streamlined it a little bit more they could just release all games on the same marketplace. With everyone having access to everything, it would probably make a lot more sense financially to include subtitles by default.

Too many legal issues with having a combined marketplace, which is why everything is split up. That and money related issues also.

Just be happy its not like the PS Vita where its a huge pain in the ass to switch regional accounts as the system is designed to be locked into a single region normally.

*Edit

Hope you enjoy the game if you decide to pull the trigger on it!

I can't believe SEGA sinks so much money into this franchise, but can't drum up enough for 3 dudes to translate some text. There is literally nothing coming out on the PS4 right now. SEGA had a license to print money and completely ignored it.

Tizoc

Reading the thread title gets me to ask:
How well did Way of the Samurai 4 sell?

Wonder if Digital Foundary's gonna do a PS3 and PS4 comparison for this game?

Fbh

Come on Sega!.

Honestly is there no petition for this?. I know they are mostly useless but who knows.

Just downloaded the japanese demo on Ps4. Looks awesome:

1794545_585750924843455_354810291_n.jpg

Top Bottom