• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryan Reynolds eyed for 'Highlander'

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrokeJoe

I have no issue with Ryan Reynolds. I actually like him. I just don't like much of the work he shows up in.

And Highlander is a concept that has yet to be done right. The show came the closest, but with the right cast and crew, you could make one fucking epic film with the concept and universe.

But why must he be Connor? Just make him a different immortal and go from there.

Except being a regular on Grey's Anatomy.

Highlander is like The Matrix for me, there is only one, but the TV show was pretty great.

Replicant

HIM?

No. If they insist on remake at least cast someone like James Purefoy. At least he looks similar to Christopher Lambert.

JdFoX187

Banned
HIM?

No. If they insist on remake at least cast someone like James Purefoy. At least he looks similar to Christopher Lambert.

Or this. People need to watch Solomon Kane. Nothing but Purefoy awesomeness. Ironclad was good too, but Solomon Kane is closer to what Highlander would be.

Highlander is like The Matrix for me, there is only one, but the TV show was pretty great.

The first movie is the best movie, and I love it with all my heart, but it is REALLY bad. It is an epic concept marred by a low budget and bad direction. It is the one franchise that I want one completely out of nowhere "HOLY SHIT, WTF WAS THAT!?" epic movie to come from.

Nolan GAF annoys the shit out of me, but i would love to see someone like Nolan tackle a concept like Highlander. We need a very visionary director and writer to get a hold of it and give us a fucking crazy film.

But who plays the Kurgan!?

Clancy Brown. Duh!

Yes, he is old. But he is more badass than ever.

KevinCow

Banned
I actually kinda like Ryan Reynolds. He can be fun, given the right roles.

But Hollywood is terrible at finding those right roles for him.

Now, Deadpool? Yeah, sure. Make that movie. Why isn't it in production? Stupid Fox.

UrokeJoe

The first movie is the best movie, and I love it with all my heart, but it is REALLY bad. It is an epic concept marred by a low budget and bad direction. It is the one franchise that I want one completely out of nowhere "HOLY SHIT, WTF WAS THAT!?" epic movie to come from.

Nolan GAF annoys the shit out of me, but i would love to see someone like Nolan tackle a concept like Highlander. We need a very visionary director and writer to get a hold of it and give us a fucking crazy film.

Clancy Brown. Duh!

Yes, he is old. But he is more badass than ever.

I guess you didn't see it when it first came out? It really was pretty fucking epic at the time. I'm sure it could be done better today, but don't have much hope in that. The casting says it already..

It's amazing that the one iconic character Reynolds is actually good for (Deadpool) got 5 minutes of screen time before getting Poochied. When I think "tormented and occasionally bored immortal millionaire" I don't see how his name even comes up in the conversation.

I guess you didn't see it when it first came out? It really was pretty fucking epic at the time. I'm sure it could be done better today, but don't have much hope in that. The casting says it already..

Saw it as a kid in the 80s and it was epic, but rewatching it now it does not hold up.

Although, one of my favorite movie theater experiences of the last five years was seeing a print of the original movie in a theater in NC. Place was packed, print was in horrible shape, but it was awesome with a crowd. Place going nuts when Queen started up.

But the best part was during the sex scene. The music is swelling, Conner is getting some, then the picture jumps and crackles, and it suddenly jumps ahead in the movie to the Kurgan chasing her through a hall. A reel was missing from the print. As it made the jump, the audience erupted in cheers and clapping for minutes.

Priceless.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Even though I'd personally lick Ryan Reynolds abs i do not think he is right for the remake of Highlander. Michael Fassbender and Idris" Elba would be perfect for the remake.

UrokeJoe

Saw it as a kid in the 80s and it was epic, but rewatching it now it does not hold up.

Although, one of my favorite movie theater experiences of the last five years was seeing a print of the original movie in a theater in NC. Place was packed, print was in horrible shape, but it was awesome with a crowd. Place going nuts when Queen started up.

But the best part was during the sex scene. The music is swelling, Conner is getting some, then the picture jumps and crackles, and it suddenly jumps ahead in the movie to the Kurgan chasing her through a hall. A reel was missing from the print. As it made the jump, the audience erupted in cheers and clapping for minutes.

Priceless.

Okay, I'm with you. Carry on.. although it is still very watchable and the nostalgia in me says bah.

Okay, I'm with you. Carry on.. although it is still very watchable and the nostalgia in me says bah.
Oh, I still love the film to death. But I still recognize the very large flaws in it. Highlander is the franchise I want a truly epic film. A timeless film. The mere concept could make for something for the ages and potentially a HUGE critical and commercial success if the right people handle it. I have tried to figure out a story that would work for years. To me, to get something that would click with everyone would be an epic revenge movie. And get an insane action choreographer to do the fights. These people have been alive for hundreds to thousands of years. They should be fucking incredible to see in action. We have not seen that, and I need to.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I misread and thought,

"Burt Reynolds for Highlander is an AWESOME idea!!"

DiscoJer

My problem with the original was there really wasn't a whole lot of action.

You had the fight at the opening, but then not a lot until the end. So much was on the backstory as a Highlander, which just wasn't that interesting, nor was the romance.

The "Gathering" of immortals apparently involved what, 4 people? (McLeod, Sunglasses guy, the Moorish guy, and the Kurgan). There should be more than that...

And as to sequels, I think the best way to do it is that each movie is a different "divisional playoff", like you have one bracket of fighters battling it out, then you would have another, different fighters, and then eventually they might meet in the 3rd or 5th movie (depends on how many brackets).

Get Donnie Yen to do the choreography. And be in the movie (Is there anyone better at sword fights?)

In a remake though, I can see the romance being played up and it being turned into Twilight. Highlanders (not the immortals, but Scottish clan types) are a very popular subject in romance novels. Not as much as vampires, but quite popular.

I misread and thought,

"Burt Reynolds for Highlander is an AWESOME idea!!"

He could do the Sean Connery role. Would make a more convincing Spaniard, I think. (That's the other weird thing about the movie, you had a French guy trying to do a Scottish accent, and a Scottish guy trying to do a Spanish accent)

My problem with the original was there really wasn't a whole lot of action.

You had the fight at the opening, but then not a lot until the end. So much was on the backstory as a Highlander, which just wasn't that interesting, nor was the romance.

The "Gathering" of immortals apparently involved what, 4 people? (McLeod, Sunglasses guy, the Moorish guy, and the Kurgan). There should be more than that...

And as to sequels, I think the best way to do it is that each movie is a different "divisional playoff", like you have one bracket of fighters battling it out, then you would have another, different fighters, and then eventually they might meet in the 3rd or 5th movie (depends on how many brackets).

Get Donnie Yen to do the choreography. And be in the movie (Is there anyone better at sword fights?)

In a remake though, I can see the romance being played up and it being turned into Twilight. Highlanders (not the immortals, but Scottish clan types) are a very popular subject in romance novels. Not as much as vampires, but quite popular.

He could do the Sean Connery role. Would make a more convincing Spaniard, I think. (That's the other weird thing about the movie, you had a French guy trying to do a Scottish accent, and a Scottish guy trying to do a Spanish accent)

While I agree that Donnie Yen would be godly, he was in Highlander: Endgame and was killed.

Saw the first film for the first time about five years ago. Thought it was awesome. Fuck Ryan Reynolds. The concept is outstanding though and deserves to be revisited.

EYEL1NER

I don't really mind Ryan Reynolds at all but I do not see how anyone could have thought that he was the guy to pull a Highlander movie.

Whatever, I'll just track down the TV series and watch that.

methane47

I remember when they first proposed this, they were originally talking about Rome's Kevin McKidd to play the role. Journeyman failed, Rome is off the air and he doesn't have much work. Give it to him. He'd be awesome!

Hell, make it a full Rome reunion and cast Ray Stevenson as the Kurgan and James Purfroy in some awesome, badass role.

e9f855b1_htf_imgcache_30173.jpeg

Hmmm they could make it work

Except Ramirez was actually Egyptian if I recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom