• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryan Reynolds eyed for 'Highlander'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118054272

The franchise's motto is "there can be only one," and Lionsgate-Summit seems to have found the man to be the next "Highlander."
Ryan Reynolds has emerged as the front-runner to topline the reboot, and though it's unclear whether an actual offer has been made, sources tell Variety that both sides are in talks and are very interested in working together. Insiders add that Reynolds is weighing other offers and that could still pursue another project.

Juan Carlos Fresnadillo is on board to direct with Neal Moritz and Peter Davis producing through Moritz's Original Film banner along with Enrique López Lavigne and Belen Atienza. Justin Lin and RCR Media Group's Rui Costa Reis and Eliad Josephson will exec produce.

Though plot details on this installment are vague, the original series followed an immortal swordsman who battled other immortal warriors through the centuries. Matt Holloway and Art Marcum penned the script.

Summit, a Lionsgate company, acquired the rights to remake the cult classic from Davis-Panzer Productions, Inc. in May of 2008.

The original film starred Christopher Lambert and spawned several sequels and a TV show.

Reynolds is coming off one of his bigger hits with Universal's "Safe House," which has grossed more than $120 million domestically. He has taken his time in finding his next project, having not committed to anything since the "Safe House" success.

The role would also give him another opportunity to show off his sword skills: The CAA-repped Reynolds previously played sword-wielding Deadpool in "Wolverine," which is currently being spun off into its own franchise at Fox.

.la1n

Since Deadpool has no hope of ever getting off the ground it would seem then sure, why not?

shaowebb

I really don't want to see Ryan Reynolds try to play Highlander because every movie with Ryan Reynolds stars Ryan Reynolds playing himself. He's nearly as bad as Owen Wilson, but he has the body to pull off action heroes so he keeps getting roles to murder. No more Ryan Reynolds action movies...please?

D.Lo

Well Christopher Lambert and Ryan Reynolds both look downsy (eyes too close together and huge foreheards) so it makes sense.

the chris

EOXgs.jpg

akira28

Liam Neeson or something.

I'm beginning to think I may have to hire an assassin to take Ryan Reynolds out. Remove him from the board, to save future films.

McLovin

I use to like watching the show, but I never got why they had to kill each other. I mean they cut off their head and lightning shoots everywhere. But they never do anything special. Its just a bunch of immortal dudes running around with swords. I probably missed it but do they ever explain what the "power" actually is?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You'd think they'd have learnt by now that a franchise with the tagline "there can only be one" can't have sequels.

Well, given they're getting Ryan Reynold's they'll fulfill that tagline in spades.

Trigger

Ryan Reynolds isn't a great actor and he's not a convincing lead. He comes off as a quirky side-kick at best because he's always injecting his humor into his characters.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I wish they would stop approaching this man whenever any idea comes to their head.

What the hell does society see in him. Looks like a horse.

black_13

Banned
ugh as if ruining Green Lantern and Deadpool wasn't enough. He really doesn't fit serious movie roles. He does comedy well. And last I checked Highlander shouldn't have a comedic tone to it.

Esch

Banned
Is this guy the new gaf obsession (like Bale and Gosling) where he can apparently play every role in any movie ever?

dunno, but hes my obsession

that aside I think he could play the role pretty well. he has the look and demeanor.

JdFoX187

Banned
ugh as if ruining Green Lantern and Deadpool wasn't enough. He really doesn't fit serious movie roles. He does comedy well. And last I checked Highlander shouldn't have a comedic tone to it.

He's a perfect Deadpool. It's not as if it was his idea to turn Wade into a walking mute Baraka-looking motherfucker. That was all on Fox.

Esch

Banned
Agree, Reynolds is just fine for Deadpool tbh.

Honestly any role where i dont have to look at his annoying face is a plus.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
They should just force everyone to re-watch the original, so they can realize it's an awful awful movie with a really fucking cool concept.

You'd think they'd have learnt by now that a franchise with the tagline "there can only be one" can't have sequels.

Highlander - There Can Only Be One
Highlander Sequel - There Can Only Be One....More
Highlander Sequel Sequel - There Was Only One
Highlander Reboot - Can There Only Be One
Highlander Reboot sequel - Why Are There More

JdFoX187

Banned
he's the killer of franchises: blade trinity, x-men origins, green lantern. stop giving the man work

The only one of those that could even be considered his fault was Green Lantern. Even then, I think the blame falls more on the production itself with its half-assed CG, terrible script and all around bad directing moreso than Reynolds.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Lambert has a cool confidence about him, especially as Connor MacLeod. I can just see Reynolds smarmy performance in this role and its physically upsetting. I'd rather have Gerard Butler or anyone else.

Also, in before an Idris Elba suggestion

JdFoX187

Banned
I remember when they first proposed this, they were originally talking about Rome's Kevin McKidd to play the role. Journeyman failed, Rome is off the air and he doesn't have much work. Give it to him. He'd be awesome!

Hell, make it a full Rome reunion and cast Ray Stevenson as the Kurgan and James Purfroy in some awesome, badass role.

I have no issue with Ryan Reynolds. I actually like him. I just don't like much of the work he shows up in.

And Highlander is a concept that has yet to be done right. The show came the closest, but with the right cast and crew, you could make one fucking epic film with the concept and universe.

But why must he be Connor? Just make him a different immortal and go from there.

I remember when they first proposed this, they were originally talking about Rome's Kevin McKidd to play the role. Journeyman failed, Rome is off the air and he doesn't have much work. Give it to him. He'd be awesome!

Except being a regular on Grey's Anatomy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom