• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryan McCaffrey on Unlocked: There is nothing here (XSX launch lineup) that says I need to spend $500 dollars on XSX. Launch games

Do you find the Xbox Series S|X launch lineup disappointing?

• Total voters

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
we don’t know that yet. Watchdogs has the same specs on both and dmc only has ray tracing available on PS5 at launch. And BC? How is that bump ok but a Remake of a fromsoftware game done by bluepoint not trump BC? I realize it’s one vs a few but come on. A remake jumping 2 generations is the world heavyweight champion of BC
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Microsoft has released hundreds of enhanced 360 and Xbox games for the Xbox One free of charge; their plans for Series X are even more ambitious and are quite clear; they will double framerate for many Xbox One games as well as increasing their playable resolutions. Sony has been extremely poor in their communication as to what their idea of "BC" even means or what it will entail, much less free, game-changing enhancements.

Also saying that Demon Souls is the "king of BC" is an extremely stupid statement. It's a $70 remake. Not even something that should be in this conversation.

I stand corrected, I do however still believe that none of the consoles have anything on launch day to go crazy bragging about... it is all for 2021 on both platforms and Cyberpunk for this year

We're not seeing much that's good from Microsoft in 2021 either

There's maybe Forza, Halo (god bless it's soul) and that's it

Compared to Sony it's appauling

FrankWza

Microsoft has released hundreds of enhanced 360 and Xbox games for the Xbox One free of charge; their plans for Series X are even more ambitious and are quite clear; they will double framerate for many Xbox One games as well as increasing their playable resolutions.

I thought we were talking about next gen launch and BC available. Because you’re jumping back and forth now.
That's definitely the appeal of Xbox Series X right now. You also know Microsoft's team will work hard to double framerates on some BC games, breathing some new life into them as well. Hell, it's the reason I want (and will eventually get one) at this point.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
That‘s false. There is an official Xbox news blog article outlining launch titles, prominently mentioning a Tetris spinoff for the launch period.
365192.jpg

FrankWza

Also saying that Demon Souls is the "king of BC" is an extremely stupid statement. It's a $70 remake. Not even something that should be in this conversation.

it’s actually an incredible statement. You’re touting BC while DeS remake is being downplayed. You’d rather have a BC enhanced game than a complete Remake that is built with next gen features?

FritzJ92

We're not seeing much that's good from Microsoft in 2021 either

There's maybe Forza, Halo (god bless it's soul) and that's it

Compared to Sony it's appauling

Not at all... Forza, Halo, (expected), but Bright Memory Infinite, Warhammer, S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2, The Gunk, Exomecha, As Dusk Falls, The Medium (maybe 2020), that's all i can think of... 2021 is going to be great for Sony and MS... this year is just a big ass wash, anyone deciding on buying a console for the launch line-up is making a misguided purchase decision, because based off of launch line-ups you'd think the X1 was an exclusive pumping machine.

Nameless

No brainier purchase for me:

-Upgraded to a 120hz TV for next gen and there will be over a dozen games able to take advantage of it.

-Coming from a One S, massively improved resolution/framerate + Machine Learning HDR are game changers for BC.

-Best console experience for Cyberpunk

-Medium drops in December

- Recently locked down GamePass Ultimate through Q3 2023.

-There's a pandemic, the fuck else am I doing and burning money on?

Is his take really controversial? The SX lineup is uninspiring for a decent amount of early adopters. It’s all good. The games will come. Halo/TES will be legit. But, Fuck Scorn lol. People are way too emotional about ANY negatives about Sony/Microsoft. Chill.

Gamepass is legit. Miles Morales isn’t DLC and DeS is going to be awesome. And please remember to wipe the tears off of your keyboard. Nerds!!! 😁

Not at all... Forza, Halo, (expected), but Bright Memory Infinite, Warhammer, S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2, The Gunk, Exomecha, As Dusk Falls, The Medium (maybe 2020), that's all i can think of... 2021 is going to be great for Sony and MS... this year is just a big ass wash, anyone deciding on buying a console for the launch line-up is making a misguided purchase decision, because based off of launch line-ups you'd think the X1 was an exclusive pumping machine.

I'm personally waiting for SSD prices to drop a bit before I decide on a next gen console, and waiting means even more games will be available.

I haven't checked all of those titles you listed but I'm doubtful that all of them will arrive in 2021; the Stalker 2 trailer was a target render; and Forza is still early in development.

Last edited:

Hudo

How is it a cash grab? They didn't have to do anything, but they started another game right after 2018 spiderman, and also sometime in 2019 started development of a new ratchet.(or at leas thats when rumors hit, could have started much earlier)

They are literally making two games? One is smaller in scale and seems to serve as a big chapter to go into a much bigger story arc with possibilities leaning towards a spiderverse type of game series with different characters.
It may seem like a cash grab because it's smaller, but I think making a stand alone miles story was always in the cards. If you didn't get that from playing spiderman then you never played it, or dont know how to pay attention.
Playstation makes money for Sony, like a lot. And they know their game division is their biggest money maker. SO they invest in tons of projects, exclusive deals, VR to serve that whole division to make the most money they can.
How can you not look at the last 2 years of playstation and see their investment? 2018 God of war, spiderman, 2019 days gone and timed exclusives from third party, 2020 had Last of us part 2, Ghost, FF7:R.

Microsoft's last two big games were Ori will of the whisps, and Gears 5. gears tactics did all but dick and was only available for PC soon to be console.
Next year is stacked with first party and third party exclusive content. And 2022 looks like it's going to be a banger as well if rumors are true.
I get what you are saying but I still think that Sony's first party efforts are severely lacking. They are very good at making third-person cinematic action games. And they are very popular as they all sell well. But when you compare that output to PS2 era and PS1 era Sony, it's been regressing in terms of gameplay diversity. And there are studios like Japan Studio who should and can be Sony's premier first-party studio but they seem to be largely delegated to help other studios out. They do get to do smaller projects like Astro Boy, which is awesome. But they could be so much more. Again, I am not saying that Sony doesn't invest money but it doesn't pan out (for me). I was disappointed by the new God of War game and I was severely disappointed by The Last of Us 2. FF7: R was not a Sony-made game but a moneyhat for temporary exclusivity, which I don't accept anymore. Sony have the talent and money to create their own awesome (J)RPG, why don't they do that?
Ghost of Tsushima was my highlight, I have to say. I really didn't expect all that much and I ended up having a lot of fun with it. But I just don't agree that the last couple of years were strong. I can see the investment, however. It's just my opinion.
Exclusive deals are not what I would deem a "strong" move and they need to go away in general. Third-parties should be multi-platform. Sony's VR efforts were admirable and I enjoyed Astro Boy and Resident Evil 7 (not a Sony game) in VR.

But I guess we just don't agree on those points and that's ok. I am genuinely happy that you've got an overall better time with Sony and their output and it appears that a lot of people are in agreement with you. I might eventually get a PS5 Slim down the line and will then look at what's been done and what is in the pipeline and reevaluate my current opinions accordingly. Right now, I am not excited one bit about next gen.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I am glad Ryan has been speaking out. I have been getting recommended a bunch of videos from youtubers fawning over this being a next gen console, and im like you've just been playing last gen games on it and will continue to play them for the next few years.

Good to see that at least some journalists have some integrity left.

I think Microsoft missed a big trick here by not launching with next gen games. They should've at least done something like Spiderman where you got some ray tracing, better looking texture models or something that sets the game apart from its last gen brethren. Demon Souls is also an easy one. You take the same game and put a new coat of paint. Quick 2 year ports with all bells and whistles. Spiderman and Demon Souls wont win gotys, they are not the best launch games ever, but they are good enough. They will tie you until the heavy hitters arrive next year. Waiting for Horizon, GoW, Ratchet, and GT7 next year becomes that much more easier because Spiderman and Demon Souls are out at launch.

This is the kind of forward thinking i expect from console makers. This is all on Phil Spencer. he announced Project Scarlett back at e3 2018. 2.5 years and and no launch games that show off this amazing console his team built for him? A failure. Not just at launch but for 2-3 years after launch? A failure of leadership here. This is not on the dev teams or the fantastic hardware and features team who have knocked it out of the park.

They pinned their strategy on Halo. The fact that they put it out there as a major part of their big unveil, that they hyped up for weeks (after the disaster “3rd party show”) shows me they really did think highly of it. So when it became a meme, I think it knocked them for a loop. So they were left to scramble and realized their biggest selling point is 60fps and HDR on Xbox 360 games.

So, the question is: why was there such a disconnect between MS and the audience on Halo? The thing that also boggles my mind is how Forza isn’t close to ready, and other titles were shown in Elder Scrolls VI like teasers. Why is there so little, really’? Why is Flight Sim 2020 not a launch game on this (FS2020 is MS’ most praised game in years). Something just seems seriously off over there.

FritzJ92

I'm personally waiting for SSD prices to drop a bit before I decide on a next gen console, and waiting means even more games will be available.

I haven't checked all of those titles you listed but I'm doubtful that all of them will arrive in 2021; the Stalker 2 trailer was a target render; and Forza is still early in development.

With the pandemic still going around, any game studio in the USA is going to struggle to meet deadlines. However, there are actually more exclusives than what i listed for MS. I don't think Forza will make 2020 either, but I'm using MS words... I would hate for 2022 to end up being overloaded with games i wont be able to complete in time. I can' imagine Avowed/Fable/Forza/and Everwild to all come out in the same year... that's an overload in my opinion.

Papacheeks

Banned
I get what you are saying but I still think that Sony's first party efforts are severely lacking. They are very good at making third-person cinematic action games. And they are very popular as they all sell well. But when you compare that output to PS2 era and PS1 era Sony, it's been regressing in terms of gameplay diversity. And there are studios like Japan Studio who should and can be Sony's premier first-party studio but they seem to be largely delegated to help other studios out. They do get to do smaller projects like Astro Boy, which is awesome. But they could be so much more. Again, I am not saying that Sony doesn't invest money but it doesn't pan out (for me). I was disappointed by the new God of War game and I was severely disappointed by The Last of Us 2. FF7: R was not a Sony-made game but a moneyhat for temporary exclusivity, which I don't accept anymore. Sony have the talent and money to create their own awesome (J)RPG, why don't they do that?
Ghost of Tsushima was my highlight, I have to say. I really didn't expect all that much and I ended up having a lot of fun with it. But I just don't agree that the last couple of years were strong. I can see the investment, however. It's just my opinion.
Exclusive deals are not what I would deem a "strong" move and they need to go away in general. Third-parties should be multi-platform. Sony's VR efforts were admirable and I enjoyed Astro Boy and Resident Evil 7 (not a Sony game) in VR.

But I guess we just don't agree on those points and that's ok. I am genuinely happy that you've got an overall better time with Sony and their output and it appears that a lot of people are in agreement with you. I might eventually get a PS5 Slim down the line and will then look at what's been done and what is in the pipeline and reevaluate my current opinions accordingly. Right now, I am not excited one bit about next gen.

There's a big difference in not having a diverse lineup or having a lineup someone knows about or agrees with. There are a lot of games that they made that have popularity around them and some of them not so popular.
They have MEdievil remake last year, Concrete genie which everyone here should play. They had Predator game which I hear is great now, and a good amount of people still play it.

So if you were disappointed with God of war then there's literally nothing here to talk about.
That game to me and in many retrospect is on par with Breath of the wild in terms of game that made a generation. God of war is not just a great high quality game, it's proof they can take a tired franchise and make it feel fresh and new again.

Same goes for Zelda, the same thing can not be said about gears, halo so far.
Though it does seem they skew a little at making more open world third person games, the diversity in those genre's on top of making deals and fully funding JRPG's with the likes of Namco/bandai/Square to me suits my needs.
If you didn't like what sony put out this gen, fine. It's your opinion, you like what you like. But the overall majority of consumers, youtubers, and press that cover this genre would disagree with you.

Sony set the bar on quality regardless if you think it's diverse or not. Microsoft still hasn't done that when it comes to taking old ip's into new directions, or creating new IP's.

JRPG'S are a tuff sell now. Unless it comes from a series or is something heavily marketed its a huge gamble. There's way more risk involved and I think Sony would rather leave it up to other developers for them to fund or make deals with then to try and compete in that arena. Same is with FPS shooters.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Why would I want to wait to play all my games at better quality? Do people expect a price drop within a few months or something?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Miles morales, Demons souls are primary reasons people are preorderding PS5's. I guess the real proof in the pudding will be game sales this fall. If Miles Morales and Demons souls are not the top performers Ill do an avatar bet with you.

Or get a account ban for a month.

You’d have to be a stone cold idiot to take that bet on Demon’s Souls.

Forty million Souls games sold, and less than 5% of that was OG Demon’s Souls?

It’s going to be a monster.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They pinned their strategy on Halo. The fact that they put it out there as a major part of their big unveil, that they hyped up for weeks (after the disaster “3rd party show”) shows me they really did think highly of it. So when it became a meme, I think it knocked them for a loop. So they were left to scramble and realized their biggest selling point is 60fps and HDR on Xbox 360 games.

So, the question is: why was there such a disconnect between MS and the audience on Halo? The thing that also boggles my mind is how Forza isn’t close to ready, and other titles were shown in Elder Scrolls VI like teasers. Why is there so little, really’? Why is Flight Sim 2020 not a launch game on this (FS2020 is MS’ most praised game in years). Something just seems seriously off over there.
yeah, flight sim is easily the best looking game of all time. it shouldve been a launch title. no idea wtf they are thinking. xsx is basically a pc. it shouldnt be that hard to port that game.

the problem with pinning all their hopes on halo was that it was always a last gen game. even if they had launched with it, it wouldve been a last gen looking game. Phil fucked up. plain and simple.

and yeah, i said this last week but how are you gonna announce an acquisition as big as bethesda and not show a single piece of footage of ESVI.

I am not a big fan of what sony has shown so far and i hate how spiderman and horizon are cross gen with gow and gt7 also potentially being cross gen, but i can look at 6 AAA games from sony and say worst case scenario we get cross gen games with revamped graphics in the first year. 7 if you count ff16. thats a crazy packed first year.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Couldnt give a fuck what some IGN knob thinks. The new AC at 60fps 4k, Halo 120fps, possible red dead 2 patch soon, Cyberpunk will look amazing, I mean I am really hyped for 10th Nov.

It has to run on the original XBone. It really won’t. The next gen version isn’t out for quite a while.

SlimySnake

bloodborne only sold 1 million on the ps4 when it launched. last we heard, it had sold 2 million units. demon souls isnt going to light charts on fire beyond the first month.

spiderman will sell well.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
bloodborne only sold 1 million on the ps4 when it launched. last we heard, it had sold 2 million units. demon souls isnt going to light charts on fire beyond the first month.

Bloodborne sold three million (conservative estimate) - the two million was 2015 alone, in first six months - and it is one of PS Plus’s most popular free downloads (40 million subscriber base).

Dark Souls 3 sold over ten million. Senior over 5. From games on 40 million total.

DeS will be on a million plus sales by Xmas. Lifetime over 5 million.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned

Well we obviously have some in here, lol.

How well did NIOH, and Sekiro do?

Demon's Souls is of the Souls series it will sell a shit ton.

Bloodborne lifetime sales are pretty good to be honest. Especially when you take into effect that it launched in 2015. So PS4 wise not like there were a 100 million owners at the time.

I'll be here for the crow, hopefully you like it fried.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Well we obviously have some in here, lol.

How well did NIOH, and Seikero do?
i dont know their numbers off hand, but they arent what i would call monsters.

i mean Funk just told me that he expects Demon Souls to sell 1 million copies by the end of the year. Those are not monster sales.

Papacheeks

Banned
i dont know their numbers off hand, but they arent what i would call monsters.

i mean Funk just told me that he expects Demon Souls to sell 1 million copies by the end of the year. Those are not monster sales.

Yea, if you have a game for a launch title its going to on average sell more than if it released on lets say a regular release schedule, as in not being hyped as much as it is now for a hardware launch.

Attach rates of games on new consoles aren't an indicator of a great game or even a popular game. They are an indicator of limited options. I'm sure Knack had a killer attach rate during the PS4 launch. Maybe I just look at things different but I always think of launches as having sub-par or cross gen games. So far this generation isn't going to start any different in my eyes.

You invest in a console for a generation, not for the first 6 months of a launch, unless you like disappointment. So all the banner waving seems stupid to me. Value is always on the eye of the beholder as you find appeal in one or two big next gen games and I might find appeal in a more diverse library.

Papacheeks

Banned
Attach rates of games on new consoles aren't an indicator of a great game or even a popular game. They are an indicator of limited options. I'm sure Knack had a killer attach rate during the PS4 launch. Maybe I just look at things different but I always think of launches as having sub-par or cross gen games. So far this generation isn't going to start any different in my eyes.

You invest in a console for a generation, not for the first 6 months of a launch, unless you like disappointment. So all the banner waving seems stupid to me. Value is always on the eye of the beholder as you find appeal in one or two big next gen games and I might find appeal in a more diverse library.

People value demons souls so much they buy PS3's or run emulators on high end PC's to play it. If this was dark souls or something other than demons souls I would say you are probably right. But this game is going to do gang busters.

I expect 4-5 Million easily by fiscal year end which is march.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
First, there is nothing discussed on this site that is a "need".

Second, people keep misconstruing why one world would want to upgrade to Series X and that is to play the vast catalog of Gamepass games on good hardware with better framerates.

Third, Series X is not geared towards the exclusives crowd. It's geared towards the hardcore that want the best hardware and lots of times those same people will own multiple consoles anyways.

Fourth, Xbox is shifting to a subscription based gaming platform as it's primary focus. This means that exclusive games aren't expected nor required to sell the system.

This is a misguided poll.

Last edited:
People value demons souls so much they buy PS3's or run emulators on high end PC's to play it. If this was dark souls or something other than demons souls I would say you are probably right. But this game is going to do gang busters.

I expect 4-5 Million easily by fiscal year end which is march.
I don't disagree. I think Demons Souls will do very well and the anticipation for it is high. But you will also have people buy it and Spiderman MM because those are the games available. If I prordered a PS5 I would probably buy both as well and I dislike Souls games and can play Spiderman MM on my PS4 instead. Godfall will have great attach rates as well even though the game looks pretty meh.. The are the games out there and if you want shiny new games on your shiny new console these are your choices.

Hudo

There's a big difference in not having a diverse lineup or having a lineup someone knows about or agrees with. There are a lot of games that they made that have popularity around them and some of them not so popular.
They have MEdievil remake last year, Concrete genie which everyone here should play. They had Predator game which I hear is great now, and a good amount of people still play it.

So if you were disappointed with God of war then there's literally nothing here to talk about.
That game to me and in many retrospect is on par with Breath of the wild in terms of game that made a generation. God of war is not just a great high quality game, it's proof they can take a tired franchise and make it feel fresh and new again.

Same goes for Zelda, the same thing can not be said about gears, halo so far.
Though it does seem they skew a little at making more open world third person games, the diversity in those genre's on top of making deals and fully funding JRPG's with the likes of Namco/bandai/Square to me suits my needs.
If you didn't like what sony put out this gen, fine. It's your opinion, you like what you like. But the overall majority of consumers, youtubers, and press that cover this genre would disagree with you.

Sony set the bar on quality regardless if you think it's diverse or not. Microsoft still hasn't done that when it comes to taking old ip's into new directions, or creating new IP's.

JRPG'S are a tuff sell now. Unless it comes from a series or is something heavily marketed its a huge gamble. There's way more risk involved and I think Sony would rather leave it up to other developers for them to fund or make deals with then to try and compete in that arena. Same is with FPS shooters.
Yeah, the majority of consumer don't agree with me (as can be seen in sales numbers) as I have already stated. And it's cool that Sony have set the bar in quality for you. They haven't for me, unfortunately. I can see why people like the new God of War, it fits in Sony's overall direction of making cinematic games (which are very popular) but it lost what I liked about the old God of War games. But we just disagree here. You like it a lot, which is cool and it seems you'll get even more of that with God of War: Ragnarök. It's a good game, just not for me.

Microsoft had a fairly weak gen this time around, you are correct. But they did set some quality bars as well, IMHO. Take Forza Horizon for example, it's one of the best arcade racing games around. Forza Motorsports is also reaching the quality heights of Gran Turismo, although Gran Turismo is still a lot more popular. Flight Simulator is a hit for people who are into flying sims and a technical achievement. And their work on the Age of Empires franchise is nothing short of astonishing (for me, I am a huge RTS and Age fan). And Minecraft is one of the most popular video games ever made. So it's not like they failed on all fronts. And apparently they knew their crappy first-party situation so they took what big companies do best: Take a big pile of money and buy more first-party devs, lol.

I just wanted to explain why I am not excited about both launch lineups. I just don't see an improvement over the last couple of years. As I stated, we might see more interesting stuff from both companies further down the line but right now, I don't see any value proposition that convinces me to buy a PS5 or XSX right now. Possible third-party exclusives to fill their own first-party void isn't what I want Sony to do. They should take that money and fund their own projects like that. People get new cool games and Sony get cool new first-party IPs. But they apparently are successful with that (what I would call lazy) approach and they will likely continue it. And who can fault them for that? It works, so why stop?
But we seem to disagree here as well and that's ok. There isn't really anything to talk about, I guess. Again, I do recognize that Sony make good stuff that a lot of people like and are excited about and I am genuinely happy for those and see why that is the case.

MarkMe2525

we don’t know that yet. Watchdogs has the same specs on both and dmc only has ray tracing available on PS5 at launch. And BC? How is that bump ok but a Remake of a fromsoftware game done by bluepoint not trump BC? I realize it’s one vs a few but come on. A remake jumping 2 generations is the world heavyweight champion of BC
How does it trump BC? Did you not read that I have over 300+ games that are going to run better. Demon souls looks cool, but I'm not going to buy a PS5 at launch for one game. I will get one, but I already have a big library and gamepass.

Also, why does it matter to you what I play on? You know this a thread about xbox games right?

Ar¢tos

Tell that to the Switch (or really any successful Nintendo home console).
Not fair to compare with Nintendo. Nintendo plays on a different field.
They can repackage and resell the same game every year and people will run to buy it.

PooBone

No one needed Ryan McCaffrey to know this. Just look at the lineup and see what, if anything, you want. I'm excited for Yakuza Like A Dragon, which I'd play on my Xbone if I weren't getting a Series X. And THAT's about it.

TheShocker

Both consoles have disappointing launches IMO, but the Series X will still be my day one. The BC catalog of upgrades and game pass was a no brainer for me. That said, I’ll pick up a 5 sometime next year. Most of Sony’s exclusives are too good to pass up.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I agree with him, but I'm still grabbing an Xbox down the line. Probably late next year or early 2022.

FrankWza

How does it trump BC? Did you not read that I have over 300+ games that are going to run better. Demon souls looks cool, but I'm not going to buy a PS5 at launch for one game. I will get one, but I already have a big library and gamepass.

Also, why does it matter to you what I play on? You know this a thread about xbox games right?

I was quoting for context to the other guy, and because you said you’re getting x for highest fidelity. Then I said you don’t know that yet. Because watchdogs has the same specs and dmcvse is gimped on x. And remakes trump bc because they just do. YOU said higher fidelity which mean you brought PS5 into the conversation In an xbox thread

Papacheeks

Banned
Yeah, the majority of consumer don't agree with me (as can be seen in sales numbers) as I have already stated. And it's cool that Sony have set the bar in quality for you. They haven't for me, unfortunately. I can see why people like the new God of War, it fits in Sony's overall direction of making cinematic games (which are very popular) but it lost what I liked about the old God of War games. But we just disagree here. You like it a lot, which is cool and it seems you'll get even more of that with God of War: Ragnarök. It's a good game, just not for me.

Microsoft had a fairly weak gen this time around, you are correct. But they did set some quality bars as well, IMHO. Take Forza Horizon for example, it's one of the best arcade racing games around. Forza Motorsports is also reaching the quality heights of Gran Turismo, although Gran Turismo is still a lot more popular. Flight Simulator is a hit for people who are into flying sims and a technical achievement. And their work on the Age of Empires franchise is nothing short of astonishing (for me, I am a huge RTS and Age fan). And Minecraft is one of the most popular video games ever made. So it's not like they failed on all fronts. And apparently they knew their crappy first-party situation so they took what big companies do best: Take a big pile of money and buy more first-party devs, lol.

I just wanted to explain why I am not excited about both launch lineups. I just don't see an improvement over the last couple of years. As I stated, we might see more interesting stuff from both companies further down the line but right now, I don't see any value proposition that convinces me to buy a PS5 or XSX right now. Possible third-party exclusives to fill their own first-party void isn't what I want Sony to do. They should take that money and fund their own projects like that. People get new cool games and Sony get cool new first-party IPs. But they apparently are successful with that (what I would call lazy) approach and they will likely continue it. And who can fault them for that? It works, so why stop?
But we seem to disagree here as well and that's ok. There isn't really anything to talk about, I guess. Again, I do recognize that Sony make good stuff that a lot of people like and are excited about and I am genuinely happy for those and see why that is the case.

Oh trust me when you start bringing up PS2/PS1 days of titles, I'm with you brother. I have a fatty PS2 og ps1 and slim models. But I would have to disagree on Microsoft. Saying they set the bar for racing games is to me not saying much. ESPECIALLY when they literally had multiple entries and spin offs. There are a lot of great racers out there. Maybe interms of content they set the bar for sure..

But it's a racing game, the amount of work done on a racing game is not the same as having to mo-cap and free animate different character's, creatures and landscapes. Microsoft needs to show that their new direction with their studios is worth our time. At this point all they have done is buy a big third party publisher who was kind of already looking to be bought because release wise they were not doing so hot. When it came to financials their biggest money maker for the past gen was fallout.

Microsoft have to prove they are creative and can collaborate with others to make new IP's. So far all they have done is buy their library.

Sony does this too, but I would argue they do more collaboration with their exclusive partners over the course of many gens. And have a better history with those JRPG's creators than Microsoft.

CRAIG667

Launch is not mitigated to only November? Launch to me is first couple months. Expect Ratchet, GT7 to be within the first couple months of 2021.

There are people in the know on the other forum who literally are teasing the first 6-12 months as being the best launch year Sony has ever had.

Bookmark this as well. First 6-12 months of this launch is going to be insane.

Cool story bro

cryptoadam

Banned
Neither Sony nor MS have given me a reason to dropp 4-5 large on a next gen console especially since I dont have a 4K TV.

To much cross gen stuff and everything next gen isnt blowing me away.

Better to wait a 12-18 months for price drops/bundles and real next gen games to come out.

I can still play cyberpunk and miles moreales without having to upgrade.

Vawn

Banned
Not fair to compare with Nintendo. Nintendo plays on a different field.
They can repackage and resell the same game every year and people will run to buy it.

That's in addition to GOTG contenders they release with almost every new console, plus tons of new games throughout the generation.

A stark difference from relying almost 100% on BC games for the entire launch library.

While he is an Xbox fan, he isnt a liar and he finally has a pretty decent gaming computer.

The Series X|S only has Gears Tactics as a nextgen launch title.
Everything else is crossgen making it very hard convince me/anyone to put out that cash.

Both machines are having a hard time actually convincing people to buy them.
Most of the people I know buying early are literally doing it just because its the new Xbox/Playstation.....theres no game they are particularly excited for, its just the console itself thats the hype.
And I get that, new thing hype is always nice, we have been raised as consumers, all we do is buy.........but realistically this is a pretty damn weak start to a generation considering how powerful these consoles actually are.

Literally if this generation started a year later November 2021 we would be swimming in pussy!
:ROFLMAO:
The PS5 is going to sell a shit load

Dont read too much into that sentence of course it will sell well.
But I think you get my point.
I think you are severely underestimating how many current PS4 owners want to upgrade right now as well as the amount of new potential PS owners
The demand for this thing is unprecedented and it doesn't seem like it is dying down anytime soon
Yes it's a new console but it's more than that IMO

Last edited:
Top Bottom