• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

FunkMiller

“Let’s start a war because we’re worried about NATO!”

”Finland have joined NATO as a direct result of the war, doubling the NATO border with Russia!”

uS5ZrUj.jpg

winjer

Gold Member
Before Russia invaded Ukraine in 2014, NATO was a dying organization, with almost no purpose. If it wasn't for Russian aggression, NATO might be on the way to be extinct.
We have to thank Putin for revitalizing NATO, by giving it a very important purpose. And for ushering several new candidates.

gHH5kjS.jpg

FunkMiller

Before Russia invaded Ukraine in 2014, NATO was a dying organization, with almost no purpose. If it wasn't for Russian aggression, NATO might be on the way to be extinct.
We have to thank Putin for revitalizing NATO, by giving it a very important purpose. And for ushering several new candidates.

And it's Finland.

Fucking Finland, man :messenger_tears_of_joy:

They have one of the best standing militaries on the face of the planet. More artillery than France and Germany combined. A highly trained reservist army of 280,000.

There literally couldn't be a worse country to drive into NATO than Finland. They could have held that silly midget cunt off on their own, but now they have NATO behind them too. It's laughably stupid what he's done.

And Sweden will be joining soon as well :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
How good life in Russia after sanctions another propaganda video

There are many reasons why these videos are credible and not "propaganda" just because we want to believe it.

First, Russia is not a little region, is a vast land from europe to canada. They have many resources, and they would not have problem to produce primary goods internally. Eggs, milk, meat, water, alcool, and so on, they already produce it for themself, it's not like they import meat or water from US or Italy or Japan. Why these goods should have an increase of price? Maybe for the fertilizer, which they imported and it was the main reason for the peak during the first months of war, but eventually in few years they can produce it internally.

Second, foreign companies who left Russia mostly relies on russian companies to produce their goods. McDonalds is a franchise, so papers, meat, cheese, ketchup were already produced in Russia with russian goods. They only changed the name, the product is the same, so the cost.

Third, companies who left Russian still have their products in Russia imported from friendly countries, like Belarus, or Kazakistinan, and so on. They import Coca Cola and send them to Russia with minor costs. Not counting fake Cola they already produced from themself.

Fouth, some companies didn't left Russia or just pretended to do it. And they import in Russia, or with a proxy, or already produce their goods in Russia.

I don't know why people think Russia will collapse from Wellness to The Last of Us in just few years. They surely will have problems with technologies, clothes and other stuff, their life style will get worse in many way, their economy will a big impact on goods they don't export anymore to other countries, but they will not die for starving, or at least not in few yars.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
There are many reasons why these videos are credible and not "propaganda" just because we want to believe it.

First, Russia is not a little region, is a vast land from europe to canada. They have many resources, and they would not have problem to produce primary goods internally. Eggs, milk, meat, water, alcool, and so on, they already produce it for themself, it's not like they import meat or water from US or Italy or Japan. Why these goods should have an increase of price? Maybe for the fertilizer, which they imported and it was the main reason for the peak during the first months of war, but eventually in few years they can produce it internally.

Second, foreign companies who left Russia mostly relies on russian companies to produce their goods. McDonalds is a franchise, so papers, meat, cheese, ketchup were already produced in Russia with russian goods. They only changed the name, the product is the same, so the cost.

Third, companies who left Russian still have their products in Russia imported from friendly countries, like Belarus, or Kazakistinan, and so on. They import Coca Cola and send them to Russia with minor costs. Not counting fake Cola they already produced from themself.

Fouth, some companies didn't left Russia or just pretended to do it. And they import in Russia, or with a proxy, or already produce their goods in Russia.

I don't know why people think Russia will collapse from Wellness to The Last of Us in just few years. They surely will have problems with technologies, clothes and other stuff, their life style will get worse in many way, their economy will a big impact on goods they don't export anymore to other countries, but they will not die for starving, or at least not in few yars.
Nobody thinks the country is going to collapse, what it will do is slowly stagnate into a nothing burger with a GDP comparable to the isle of man, we've crippled anychance of growth and with no growth and the world's most pointless war draining what reserved they had, economically they are fucked.

I would love to know how they explain to themselves how Putin's idiocy has just created a massive new NATO border, how do the "elites" explain that monumental fuck up to one another

BlackTron

They have one of the best standing militaries on the face of the planet. More artillery than France and Germany combined. A highly trained reservist army of 280,000.

There literally couldn't be a worse country to drive into NATO than Finland. They could have held that silly midget cunt off on their own, but now they have NATO behind them too. It's laughably stupid what he's done.

Yeah I equate Finland joining NATO to trolling with the alliance menu in Starcraft. In the middle of an all-out fight you get allied with this player who is already fully upgraded with a proxy base on your enemy's side of the map. Imagine the sweat level sharing a border with Finland while already managing the existing battle by spamming zerglings.

Finland's border also runs parallel to Russia's one and only supply route for it's main base of nukes capable of dispatching to hit North America. A tactical and logistical nightmare.

winjer

Gold Member

Let me tell you a little secret. The west does not want Russia to collapse, as this would destabilize the whole region, create a political mess and risk nukes getting into the the wrong hands.
The west only wants Russia to lose the war against Ukraine. And that Russia would stop invading it's neighbors.

BlackTron

Let me tell you a little secret. The west does not want Russia to collapse, as this would destabilize the whole region, create a political mess and risk nukes getting into the the wrong hands.
The west only wants Russia to lose the war against Ukraine. And that Russia would stop invading it's neighbors.

Total collapse would replace one problem with many more problems, which might never end for us. Collapse the regime, not the whole country.

What is concerning is the question of how and when will history repeat itself. Japan changed substantially after WW2. But Russia has this pattern that seems baked deeply into its populations' mentality that makes this kind of escalation possible. Corruption permeates every aspect of life over there. Even if you try and lead it down a better political path, that will slowly open its citizens eyes to prosperity, what's to stop the piece of shit bad actors from using their usual trickery to manipulate everyone again? If Russia loses now, there will be the sneering Russians who still want revenge, and will stop at nothing to continue the cycle of corruption and information warfare, even if it takes an entire generation to try again. This entire business now was planned and stewing for a long time, they are never really NOT out to get you. Finland knows this which is why they are armed to the fucking teeth.

winjer

Gold Member
And the funny thing is that if Russia is about to collapse, the west will probably bail it out. Again.
Russians will never admit that the west help them, but it was lend lease that save them from collapse when Nazi German was a few km from Moscow.
And when the soviet union collapsed, the west sent monetary assistance to prevent Russia to collapse.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Imagine being Russia and over a year later, still havent taken over Ukraine.

What an embarrassment.

Foreign allies help or not, if Russia was so powerful with a military only second to the US, it should had been steamroll city.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Imagine being Russia and over a year later, still havent taken over Ukraine.

What an embarrassment.

Foreign allies help or not, if Russia was so powerful with a military only second to the US, it should had been steamroll city.
It was doomed from the start. I really think they believed that you crane would just surrender because the amount of troops that they put along the borders were not even remotely close enough to what they needed to take the country and hold it.

I think the number was right around 300,000 allegedly? Which is nowhere near what you need in order to take a country that size filled with millions of armed civilians and then hold it for any substantial period of time.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It was doomed from the start. I really think they believed that you crane would just surrender because the amount of troops that they put along the borders were not even remotely close enough to what they needed to take the country and hold it.

I think the number was right around 300,000 allegedly? Which is nowhere near what you need in order to take a country that size filled with millions of armed civilians and then hold it for any substantial period of time.
Maybe Putin has played too many games of Risk(!), thinking a good sized army can just sweep across the board. Attack fast enough before the enemy can retaliate, and then fortify the places taken over with troops later.

Looks like he only got so far and the frontal attack petered out rolling too many 1s and 2s.

FunkMiller

Still of the firm opinion he looked at what happened in Afghanistan, and thought he'd get the same kind of easy ride the Taliban did, with people cheering them in the streets. Utterly and completely miscalculated the mood of the Ukrainian people, and their desire to be in independent nation.

Patrick S.

Banned
The senseless part is the illegal invasion and attempted genocide conducted by Russia.

Ukraine’s defence, and ongoing fightback against a far bigger opponent, most certainly is not senseless.
I thought it goes without saying that what I meant to say is, this whole fucking war is senseless, and not the fact that Ukraine are defending themselves…

E-Cat

I thought it goes without saying that what I meant to say is, this whole fucking war is senseless, and not the fact that Ukraine are defending themselves…
Well, it certainly doesn’t go without saying for assholes like Elon ”there are no angels in war” Musk.

Signed, ex-Elon fanboy.

ThisIsMyDog

1de73f27-1bf9-46c3-9f91-87100df8cc7f.jpeg

Zelensky is in Warsaw today and has just received the highest Polish decoration - the Order of the White Eagle. Of course, there will be many other events during this visit, but it is very nice that this honor was given to Zelensky. Ukraine has done more for our (Polish) security than we could have dreamed of. And they will certainly do even more after achieving victory and joining the EU and NATO.

Is there a practical reason for walking over the corpse of the dead russian with the tank in the second video?
Looking at the vid I don't think that was done on purpose. You have to remember that field of view is limited in a Tank and the tank driver was concentrating on using the tank tracks to destroy the trench (so it can't be re-occupied without work by the Russians). It's just the dead Russian kinda got in the way.

GymWolf

Looking at the vid I don't think that was done on purpose. You have to remember that field of view is limited in a Tank and the tank driver was concentrating on using the tank tracks to destroy the trench (so it can't be re-occupied without work by the Russians). It's just the dead Russian kinda got in the way.
Ok so destroying the trench is the reason, got it.

Yeah it keeps the tanks treads nice & lubricated.
oddly enough you just reminded me of a short video that was shown right at the beginning of the war (you know when we still thought Ukraine was gonna get stomped on). There was this Ukranian woman and she went up to a Russian soldier and pleaded with him to put sunflower seeds in his pocket so that when he dies at least his body will be of some use :-

I remember thinking that this woman was so brave against the futility of standing up to the "Russian Bear". But wow what a crazy year it has been, we have gone from Ukraine being conquered within 3 days to Russia and Putin are starting to shit bricks about losing Crimea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom