• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Trunx81

I read it and he shows 0 proof, no document nothing. From his narration it seems she’s got a single source, or is decided to write it that way.

The other problem is that it’s on substack - the thing with investigative journalism is that the paper stakes its reputation and the team vets the whole thing before publishing so there’s some kind of process.

Substack is essentially a blog, no paper reputation at stake and no one to go over the whole thing.

Of course it doesn’t mean it can’t be right.
He made a statement about it: https://seymourhersh.substack.com/p/why-substack

And yeah, that one “source” is the one thing that makes me not believe it 100%. But Deep Throat was also “one source” in the beginning.

Ironbunny

Well now, this shit is about to get interesting isnt it!

I dont think that matters anymore who blew it. The pipe is gone and many are happy it for it. One less pipe for Pootin to use for hes smoke and mirrors.

So there are reports UK will start training Ukraine in standard west NATO jets .. F16s right ?

Could be. There is statements that UK will be providing 1300kg storm shadow missiles for Ukraine. Operational range of 560km. I believe those can be shot from the Ukraines existing planes.

Last edited:

sinnergy

I dont think that matters anymore who blew it. The pipe is gone and many are happy it for it. One less pipe for Pootin to use for hes smoke and mirrors.

Could be. There is statements that UK will be providing 1300kg storm shadow missiles for Ukraine. Operational range of 560km. I believe those can be shot from the Ukraines existing planes.
That would be splendid , missiles of those range , would open up possibilities.

Tams

Well now, this shit is about to get interesting isnt it!

Even if true, no, not really. Aid isn't being sent to Ukraine because of the attack on Nord Stream 2, which wasn't even functioning.

I have no clue as the veracity of Hersh's claim. He has been criticised recently for lacking evidence in his pieces and he is well past his prime. Make of that what you will.

The affected countries will have a better understanding than any of us forum dwellers do and will do what they think is necessary. And even if it was the US, none of them are going to be siding with fucking Russia over this.

Also: 'Pweeze sub to me Substack. Pweety pweeze'.

Last edited:

Tams

Ageshaming? Really?

The Times is already covering it:

Come on, at least read the articles you're talking about:

Once hailed “the greatest American investigative reporter”, Hersh’s more recent stories have been called into question. These included articles about how the US found Osama bin Laden and calling into question the use of chemical weapons on Syrian civilians by Syria’s regime, which were criticised for relying heavily on anonymous sources and lacking hard evidence.

Trunx81

Even if true, no, not really. Aid isn't being sent to Ukraine because of the attack on Nord Stream 2, which wasn't even functioning.

I have no clue as the veracity of Hersh's claim. He has been criticised recently for lacking evidence in his pieces and he is well past his prime. Make of that what you will.

The affected countries will have a better understanding than any of us forum dwellers do and will do what they think is necessary. And even if it was the US, none of them are going to be siding with fucking Russia over this.

Also: 'Pweeze sub to me Substack. Pweety pweeze'.
Come on, at least try to discuss it seriously. NS2 "wasn´t even functioning" is false, they could have flipped the switched after it was approved, a decission heavily bombarded by the US.

And "even if it was the US", this would mean maybe not a lot for USA citizens, but it would sure as hell influence Europe. There has been a year-long anti-US movement all over Europe and this kind of article, if (!) true, could change how the european citizens think about the whole war. Support for Ukraine is already dropping, with more and more people not wanting to send tanks (and now planes) over.

If (and again a big IF) the story is true (like I said, I really hope its not), this would have been a) and act of war by the US and Norway. b) an act of terrorism against Germany by fellow NATO members.

We are not talking about a simple "whoopsie, well anyway ..." kind of thing, this ... could be huge.

I´m worried :(

Forsete

Gold Member
DN wrote an article regarding the NS2 explosion that a Swedish warship might have tracked something in the area 2 days prior, and that the same warship then went on a course towards Kaliningrad.

The navy didn't comment on what the warship was doing in the area, but confirmed that they had been there.

I find that more believable than whatever that Hersh dude has dreamt up.

winjer

Gold Member
You´re probably right. When Hersh first broke the Abu Ghraib story, the US government also dismissed it as "a tapestry of nonsense". Why should they be wrong now?

Could be his source is the Russian FSB. This way he could get all these amazing information but also a lot of Russian propaganda and misinformation.

Trunx81

Could be his source is the Russian FSB. This way he could get all these amazing information but also a lot of Russian propaganda and misinformation.
Absolutely. I agree that the "one source" claim is fishy and in line with yellow press "a friend of the family says" kind of journalism.

Right now it´s a story. No proof.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Orcs are getting very close to have line of fire over the last road out of Bakhmut.

It's been over 6 months but it might appear the battle for the city is getting close to an end.

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

Tams

Come on, at least try to discuss it seriously. NS2 "wasn´t even functioning" is false, they could have flipped the switched after it was approved, a decission heavily bombarded by the US.

And "even if it was the US", this would mean maybe not a lot for USA citizens, but it would sure as hell influence Europe. There has been a year-long anti-US movement all over Europe and this kind of article, if (!) true, could change how the european citizens think about the whole war. Support for Ukraine is already dropping, with more and more people not wanting to send tanks (and now planes) over.

If (and again a big IF) the story is true (like I said, I really hope its not), this would have been a) and act of war by the US and Norway. b) an act of terrorism against Germany by fellow NATO members.

We are not talking about a simple "whoopsie, well anyway ..." kind of thing, this ... could be huge.

I´m worried :(
Look what 'functioning' means. It was not pumping gas on anything more than a test level.

Europe is not going to rise up against some 'big bad American overlord', especially when the other big (but clearly with not as big teeth as first thought) player is fucking Russia.

Even if it was the US, it'll be quietly swept under the rug as the alternative is far, far, far fucking worse.

Makes absolutely no sense for it to be the US.

Besides Biden and Nuland saying it would happen before the fact, it negating the leverage Russia had over Europe regarding energy, increasing European dependancy on US exports, increasing economic pressure on Russia, and various US spooks like Nuland and Blinken gloating about it after the fact? Perhaps the US-NATO joint naval drills in the area beforehand mean nothing? The fact that the USA absolutely has a long and storied history (much longer and more storied than any other nation in modern history) of carrying out clandestine activities such as this? The fact that of all players involved in this, the USA stands to gain more than anyone else?

You are right about UK though, I remember that. I was actually surprised that they didn't get a shout out in the Hersch article. No matter where you stand in perception of this conflict, the article should be read.

Anyhoo, I really just came to provide my two cents regarding the Hersch article and am bowing out of this thread.

iamblades

What the fuck. Time to haul these fuckers in front of Congress and force them into compliance.

Compliance is likely the whole reason for the change.

I imagine the compliance department at SpaceX shitting bricks when it came out that Ukraine was using the terminals to control drones, kind of surprised it took them this long to address(though given the reaction, I can understand).

Ozriel

M$FT
Besides Biden and Nuland saying it would happen before the fact, it negating the leverage Russia had over Europe regarding energy, increasing European dependancy on US exports, increasing economic pressure on Russia, and various US spooks like Nuland and Blinken gloating about it after the fact? Perhaps the US-NATO joint naval drills in the area beforehand mean nothing? The fact that the USA absolutely has a long and storied history (much longer and more storied than any other nation in modern history) of carrying out clandestine activities such as this? The fact that of all players involved in this, the USA stands to gain more than anyone else?

You are right about UK though, I remember that. I was actually surprised that they didn't get a shout out in the Hersch article. No matter where you stand in perception of this conflict, the article should be read.

Anyhoo, I really just came to provide my two cents regarding the Hersch article and am bowing out of this thread.

Looks like you popped in here to spread conspiracy theories. Because Biden saying he’d push to make sure Nordstream 2 didn’t come online certainly doesn’t hint at a military attack on an asset jointly owned by one of their most important allies. No mention was made of NS1 which was also blown up at the same time.

You folks conveniently fail to mention that at the time it was blown up, Russia had already cut gas supplies to Germany via NS1 and were openly talking in the media about the EU freezing in winter. Gas supply agreements are long term contracts that Russia was violating by not supplying gas. They were skirting the issue by claiming maintenance related problems but couldn’t have clung to that for long. Destroying the pipeline freed Russia from potential penalties and was supposed to push a case for a major lift of sanctions.

It also makes no sense to talk about ‘US-NATO naval drills in the area’ when Germany itself is a major component of NATO and would have been involved in the drills. And while the US has a long history of clandestine ops, none of that compares to directly striking at assets of strategic Allies and the attendant negative impact of venting billions of cubic meters of gas into the ocean. This would have been an extremely risky operation that could have caused long term damage to US - EU relations. Not to mention significant impact on Biden’s climate change agenda.

The party that stood to benefit most from this has always been Russia. Yes, Seymour Hersh used to be a very respectable journalist, but the internet is filled with VERY respectable people who still blame Ukraine for starting this war. People like Mearscheimer, for example.

Majukun

Is it me or things are not going great lately? Russia has either frozen the frontlines or gained some ground lately, and that's beforre the supposed offensive where new hardware and men will be allegedly brought

Is it me or things are not going great lately? Russia has either frozen the frontlines or gained some ground lately, and that's beforre the supposed offensive where new hardware and men will be allegedly brought

This was expected with winter if I understand correctly. If Ukraine holds off this new wave of nazi orcs, then the spring will be very interesting. Especially when the new batch of vehicles / weapons NATO will supply arrive.

Tams

They aren't going great for Ukraine, but not terrible either.

Over winter, nothing much was expected to happen and not much has happened other than thousands of more senseless deaths from Russia's invasion.

The autumn gains Ukraine made were exceptions. It's not normal to make such massive gains and even the Ukrainians were not expecting nor fully prepared to support them.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
RealLifeLore has an excellent video on the human cost as of the Ukraine War, as viewed from satellite images.

Usually his videos hit YouTube a week after they debut on Nebula, but here's a link to those with NebulaTV subscriptions (well worth the 14USD per year for the service + curiosity stream):

It's just a reel of war crimes after war crimes, especially the before and after images of the Mariupol theatre with the words children spelt out and clearly seen by satellites and reconnaissance, but it was still destroyed by a Russian missile strike two days later killing over 600 civilians. Now the Russian cunts are using that site for propaganda, making a mockery of the tragedy they caused. The magnitude of prolonged evil is intolerable and needs to be front and centre in everyone's minds.

NATO should be enforcing a no-fly zone and start launching missile strikes against Russian targets in Ukraine. Zelensky shouldn't be forced to be doing the rounds, begging for scraps, when some of the most dire atrocities are being committed on Europe's doorsteps.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Excalibur 🎯

That artillery precision comes from skill developed from daily usage making the most of the weapons. The third mentions Donets. Made me wonder if there would be many of the same artillerymen. The Ukrainians are getting more experience and training with advanced systems and Russians send in more inexperienced troops with old systems.

This second video makes me hope the Ukrainians are going to be getting air training with the armour training. Tactical as well as field. They're getting a lot more mobility which will change the way they support and utilize their troops. Leopards, Abrams and Bradleys oh my.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Because Ukraine lacks the equipment to push troughs defense lines, their strategy has consistently been one: keep killing orcs with a positive KD ratio. You do it long enough the lines either thin out and you take over or the orcs valiantly advance to the rear.

Because of the conscription Russia has flooded the lines with mobiks so there’s a lot of orc grinding to be done.

winjer

Gold Member
He seems very adamant for justifying Russia's aggression as defensive.

No, he doesn't. He is explaining the Russian mindset.
And in this he is right, Russia has been using the excuse of "existencial threat" for centuries, as a way to justify expanding and invading their neighbors.
He is also very clear, that in the last 20 years, Russia has done 8 invasions of it's neighbors. And if the Ukrainian invasion is successful, then next it will be Poland. This is why we must NOT allow Russia no win this war.

Tams

Because Ukraine lacks the equipment to push troughs defense lines, their strategy has consistently been one: keep killing orcs with a positive KD ratio. You do it long enough the lines either thin out and you take over or the orcs valiantly advance to the rear.

Because of the conscription Russia has flooded the lines with mobiks so there’s a lot of orc grinding to be done.

tl;dr: Ukrainians value their soldiers' lives; Russians don't.

RAÏSanÏa

No, he doesn't. He is explaining the Russian mindset.
And in this he is right, Russia has been using the excuse of "existencial threat" for centuries, as a way to justify expanding and invading their neighbors.
He is also very clear, that in the last 20 years, Russia has done 8 invasions of it's neighbors. And if the Ukrainian invasion is successful, then next it will be Poland. This is why we must NOT allow Russia no win this war.
The existential threat is just an excuse for their thieving. The way he words it comes off like apologetics and justification, for example, him, as a mouthpiece, saying that Russia is being interfered with by the West will lead to Russia's destruction. Without saying what the interference is and leaving it unsupported and a vague threat to Russia's existence.

winjer

Gold Member
The existential threat is just an excuse for their thieving. The way he words it comes off like apologetics and justification, for example, him, as a mouthpiece, saying that Russia is being interfered with by the West will lead to Russia's destruction. Without saying what the interference is and leaving it unsupported and a vague threat to Russia's existence.

No it doesn't. You are just reading that into what is a direct historical analysis of the Russian mindset.
He is not justifying what Russians have been doing since 1992. He is explaining what the Russian plans are.
Understanding how your enemy thinks, is not agreeing with them.

RAÏSanÏa

No it doesn't. You are just reading that into what is a direct historical analysis of the Russian mindset.
He is not justifying what Russians have been doing since 1992. He is explaining what the Russian plans are.
Understanding how your enemy thinks, is not agreeing with them.
He doesn't know what the Russian plans are, he's speculating. He might be echoing excuses they have used and thinking those are the Russian mindset then going off that incorrectly to make his alarmist assumptions. The top comment on the video from a self identified Russian citizen even mentions that these reasons he espouses aren't the rationale.

Top Bottom