• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Holy shit, Steven Seagal actually went on Russian State TV to spew their propaganda for them. I only listened for a few minutes and was shocked at the absolute nonsense he was saying. Guy should have his U.S. citizenship revoked and not be allowed in the country anymore.

Absolutely disgusting. Fuck revoking his US citizenship. Have him tired for treason. Lock him up for the rest of his life. Then, confiscate whatever capital he has and give it to the Ukraine relief fund.

Tams

This is concerning. Ukraine is going to need more and better air defense to be able to counter these drones. Manpads & Gepard tanks won't have the range. NASAMs have slightly better range but they only have 2 and those will definitely not be deployed anywhere near the frontlines. Jets would work but they'll have to fly at higher altitudes making them more susceptible to being targeted by Russia's own air defense. The S-300s are probably Ukraine's best weapon against them, but they're likely running out of missiles for those at this point.

While it shouldn't be ignored or taken lightly, Iran are no better off than Russia technology and industry wise.

Hell, Iran has been under sanctions for much longer. And the drones they show off have all been mockups with no evidence they can even fly. They just straight up copied a US drone they shot down (but just the shell, not the parts that make it potent).

They do still have intelligent people as they are still (very slowly) building a nuclear reactor. But they are not going to be tipping this war at all.

Fenix34

I remove teeth
KxuQWRN.jpg

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
How do people keep intercepting calls like this, are Russia using 2 cans tied together with string for communication?
I presume if they are calling themselves with normal phones and signal is from the Ukrainian side supplied by Ukraine ISP, it's easy to ask for recording...

Ironbunny

How do people keep intercepting calls like this, are Russia using 2 cans tied together with string for communication?

Russian military's own encrypted phones impacted after destroying 3G/4G towers, allowing comms to be intercepted​

Russian troop phone calls in Ukraine were intercepted after they used commercial phone lines to communicate.
The military was forced to use the unencrypted lines of communication after their own attacks on 3G towers broke the Russian government-built 'Era cryptophone' that was meant to be used to communicate.

“Era is a super expensive cryptophone system that [Russia’s defense ministry] introduced in 2021 with great fanfare. It guaranteed [to] work ‘in all conditions’.”

However, "the idiots tried to use the Era cryptophones in Kharkiv, after destroying many 3G cell towers and also replacing others with stingrays," Grozev continued. "Era needs 3G/4G to communicate.

The Russian army is equipped with secure phones that can't work in areas where the Russian army operates."

Stingrays are eavesdropping devices that mimic cell towers, meaning that mobiles connect to them, allowing for data to be intercepted.

Russian troops have also used unencrypted walkie-talkie radios, allowing others to listen in.

Russia has targeted some Internet infrastructure, as well as accidentally damaged it with its indiscriminate shelling of civilians, but has not sought to fully disconnect the country. This could be because Russia's military is also making use of the infrastructure.

Russian military's own encrypted phones impacted after destroying 3G/4G towers, allowing comms to be intercepted​

Russian troop phone calls in Ukraine were intercepted after they used commercial phone lines to communicate.
The military was forced to use the unencrypted lines of communication after their own attacks on 3G towers broke the Russian government-built 'Era cryptophone' that was meant to be used to communicate.

“Era is a super expensive cryptophone system that [Russia’s defense ministry] introduced in 2021 with great fanfare. It guaranteed [to] work ‘in all conditions’.”

However, "the idiots tried to use the Era cryptophones in Kharkiv, after destroying many 3G cell towers and also replacing others with stingrays," Grozev continued. "Era needs 3G/4G to communicate.

The Russian army is equipped with secure phones that can't work in areas where the Russian army operates."

Stingrays are eavesdropping devices that mimic cell towers, meaning that mobiles connect to them, allowing for data to be intercepted.

Russian troops have also used unencrypted walkie-talkie radios, allowing others to listen in.

Russia has targeted some Internet infrastructure, as well as accidentally damaged it with its indiscriminate shelling of civilians, but has not sought to fully disconnect the country. This could be because Russia's military is also making use of the infrastructure.
Lol, brillaint.
Russia never ceases to amaze me in all the worst ways

IDKFA

Serious question. What happens when this war is over, when Russia are forced back to their homeland and Ukraine has liberated all occupied areas?

Does Ukraine go on the offensive and invade Russia?

Does the world force Russia to pay for the rebuilding of Ukraine? If Russia can't/won't pay, would the EU pay for the rebuild?

TwinB242

Serious question. What happens when this war is over, when Russia are forced back to their homeland and Ukraine has liberated all occupied areas?

Does the world force Russia to pay for the rebuilding of Ukraine? If Russia can't/won't pay, would the EU pay for the rebuild?

There is no absolutely no outcome where Ukraine invades Russia. Russia would use that as excuse to nuke Ukraine and potentially cause nuclear war to break out.

Last edited:

Good question!

I'd like to think that Ukraine just want to be left alone once they reach whatever war goals they set out, which I'm assuming is, turf out the Russian bastards from ALL of ukraines rightful territory

Realistically, unless Ukraine do go on the offensive and push on to Moscow, kill or capture the majority of its leadership, and get them conditionally or unconditionally surrender, they can't force Russia to pay for anything. Same with getting putin to stand trail for warcrimes. It's nice to think about, but I doubt it'll happen unfortunately

I assume whatever happens, the easten border of Ukraine will become very militarised. I don't know if it'll help for Ukraine to land lease some of it for NATO/US/European countries to make military/airforce bases, create a sort of shield, if Russia wants to reinvade, they have to cross through non-ukrainian territory first?
They really are what Star Trek based the Pakleds on.
🤣 love me some Lower decks

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Likely a second Cold War is the result. Russia will inevitably turn inwards, and the new iron curtain will stretch up across Ukraine and the baltics eastern flank. Unlikely Russia will make reparations, and the west will use the new staging ground of Ukraine to prosecute more covert operations and destabilising activities in Russia. Ukraine likely to become a vassal state of the US, which will likely provide the bulk of the repair money.

Last edited:

IDKFA

Ukraine likely to become a vassal state of the US, which will likely provide the bulk of the repair money.

They've applied to join the EU. The EU have promised to fast track the membership process. They're going to be the poster child for the EU federal state.

No way will Ukraine be a vassal of the US.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
They've applied to join the EU. The EU have promised to fast track the membership process. They're going to be the poster child for the EU federal state.

The EU will not be the ones paying for Ukraine’s rebuilding, because there’s no way of getting all 26 of them to agree to it. It will be the US who pays, and whatever it looks like on the surface, Ukraine will be indebted to the US moving forward.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Doesn't matter if the EU fast track, 1 country vote against it its over. And they will.

It's just hot air. Ukraine will be alone for a very long time. US will have to deal with it.

Last edited:

TwinB242

Russian propaganda now bragging about all the resource rich land they're capturing and how that's going to benefit the Russian economy. Remind me again how this invasion is about protecting the motherland from NATO....

Last edited:

IDKFA

The EU will not be the ones paying for Ukraine’s rebuilding, because there’s no way of getting all 26 of them to agree to it. It will be the US who pays, and whatever it looks like on the surface, Ukraine will be indebted to the US moving forward.

How is that going to work? It would probably cost hundreds of billions of dollars to rebuild Ukraine. How would the US come up with this sort of money?

Doesn't matter if the EU fast track, 1 country vote against it its over. And they will.

It's just hot air. Ukraine will be alone for a very long time. US will have to deal with it.

Not for much longer. The EU are looking to abolish vetos to prevent 1 or 2 member states blocking EU policy. Part of the process in becoming a unified federal state, rather than a collection of independent nations.

Kenpachii

How is that going to work? It would probably cost hundreds of billions of dollars to rebuild Ukraine. How would the US come up with this sort of money?

Not for much longer. The EU are looking to abolish vetos to prevent 1 or 2 member states blocking EU policy. Part of the process in becoming a unified federal state, rather than a collection of independent nations.

Will be the end of EU. Aint happening.

Russian getting ready for another “goodwill gesture?” According to Mykolayiv Oblast Governor Vitaly Kim, the entire Russian command staff is evacuating across the Dnipro River, (from right-bank Dnipro to left-bank). That means leaving the city of Kherson.​

renderTimingPixel.png

twitter.com/Euan_M...

Not sure how true is this. But some people think is due to the fact, that Ruzzia could lose a lot of equipment and personnel in this region, and wants to avoid possible gigantic losses there. To what I say:

angry captain hook GIF

Fuck them all and make Putler lose a lot there!!!!

IDKFA

akimbo009

Gold Member

How'd the US come up with a $100B? I mean, they have a shit ton of money - they just print it. And it's likely a bond scenario, so there will be a long-term repayment. US is pretty good at rebuilding Europe.

There's also no way the US doesn't get it's part of basically funding their war effort here in the most decisive ways - and fairly certain Ukraine will be more trusting of the US than the EU when it comes to countering Russia.

IDKFA

How'd the US come up with a $100B? I mean, they have a shit ton of money - they just print it. And it's likely a bond scenario, so there will be a long-term repayment. US is pretty good at rebuilding Europe.

There's also no way the US doesn't get it's part of basically funding their war effort here in the most decisive ways - and fairly certain Ukraine will be more trusting of the US than the EU when it comes to countering Russia.

Hundreds of billions. Not 100 billion. Could be well over half a trillion by the time the war is over.

Ukraine would clearly be more trusting of the EU as they've applied for EU membership.

sinnergy

It’s not even that much, other USA wars costed a lot more …

sinnergy

Russian getting ready for another “goodwill gesture?” According to Mykolayiv Oblast Governor Vitaly Kim, the entire Russian command staff is evacuating across the Dnipro River, (from right-bank Dnipro to left-bank). That means leaving the city of Kherson.​

renderTimingPixel.png

twitter.com/Euan_M...

Not sure how true is this. But some people think is due to the fact, that Ruzzia could lose a lot of equipment and personnel in this region, and wants to avoid possible gigantic losses there. To what I say:

angry captain hook GIF

Fuck them all and make Putler lose a lot there!!!!
Right .. more like defeated there 🤣 it’s turning into a Vietnam / Russian Afghanistan.

sobaka770

Banned
So much nonsense in this thread from same posters who only quote Ukrainian propaganda sites. Is this thread even valuable?

Here are a few truthbombs to chew on.

1. Ukraine can't take back shit. Right now they are getting kicked out of their most fortified positions in Donbass and losing 500-1000 men per day. They cannot hold territory or frontline. And people here are talking as if Ukraine has already won everything back and ask about invading Russia as a serious question. In what universe are you living in?

Here is a serious question: when do you think Zalyzhnyy upends Zelensky, which parts of Ukraine will Russia annex in addition to what they have ( Dnipro, Kharkiv, Odessa?) and which parts will be sold to Poland?

2. Kherson bridge is standing and has a backup built right next to it. Russia moved thousands of troops there for defense and potential strike at Mykolaiv if Ukraine does another stupid artillery rotation.

This offensive has been spoken about for months - you think Russia wasn't preparing? It's be the stupidest plan ever. I'd rather believe Ukrainians find another region to strike, preferably the one that doesn't include shelling a nuclear power plant.

3. The only success Ukraine is having is spinning losses into media wins by manipulating the info space. Case-in-point: Russia bombing it's own cities (and mining Donetsk???) or Zaporizhya power plant (?). What doesn't stand to scrutiny to anyone with half a brain is actually taken seriously by many people.

My advice, get some perspective and stop eating one-sided nonsense from Kyiv independent and ISW. Take no facts from Russia or Ukrainian command declarations either, although they probably say truth about strike areas and take ownership of major successes. Otherwise this thread is just political propaganda spewing nonsense.

Last time I was here people told me that it's over and Russia will lose at Severodonetsk. I'm sure same goalpost moving armchair generals will come out of woodworks now to say it's over at Kherson. And when Russia takes Sloviansk they will keep saying the same.

IDKFA

So much nonsense in this thread from same posters who only quote Ukrainian propaganda sites. Is this thread even valuable?

1. Ukraine can't take back shit. Right now they are getting kicked out of their most fortified positions in Donbass and losing 500-1000 men per day. They cannot hold territory or frontline. And people here are talking as if Ukraine has already won everything back and ask about invading Russia as a serious question. In what universe are you living in?

Here is a serious question: when do you think Zalyzhnyy upends Zelensky, which parts of Ukraine will Russia annex in addition to what they have ( Dnipro, Kharkiv, Odessa?) and which parts will be sold to Poland?

2. Kherson bridge is standing and has a backup built right next to it. Russia moved thousands of troops there for defense and potential strike at Mykolaiv if Ukraine does another stupid artillery rotation.

This offensive has been spoken about for months - you think Russia wasn't preparing? It's be the stupidest plan ever. I'd rather believe Ukrainians find another region to strike, preferably the one that doesn't include shelling a nuclear power plant.

3. The only success Ukraine is having is spinning losses into media wins by manipulating the info space. Case-in-point: Russia bombing it's own cities (and mining Donetsk???) or Zaporizhya power plant (?). What doesn't stand to scrutiny to anyone with half a brain is actually taken seriously by many people.

My advice, get some perspective and stop eating one-sided nonsense from Kyiv independent and ISW. Take no facts from Russia or Ukrainian command declarations either, although they probably say truth about strike areas and take ownership of major successes. Otherwise this thread is just political propaganda spewing nonsense.

Last time I was here people told me that it's over and Russia will lose at Severodonetsk. I'm sure same goalpost moving armchair generals will come out of woodworks now to say it's over at Kherson. And when Russia takes Sloviansk they will keep saying the same.

Everybody and their dog can see Ukraine are kicking Russian ass. The war won't end soon, but it will end with Ukraine liberating all regions taken off them by Russia.

If you think Russia are winning this war then I'd suggest you look up other sources.

LimanimaPT

I guess we want to be optimistic and just want these ruzzian nazis dead or out of Ukraine ASAP.

Tams

Ukraine aren't and don't want to invade Russia. I have no idea where you go that idea from.

As for rebuilding Ukraine; many countries have already pledged billions to it (more secure than an Amber Turd pledge for sure). It's in the 'West's' interest anyway. Now, will some of that come from Russia? They'll certainly try, and the Russian money currently stuck in European banks may be used for that. That said, Russia may be allowed access to that money in a peace deal. And if there is a regime change in Russia (which is likely if they retreat from Ukraine), then the new regime/administration; it may be considered that reparations may not be the best approach.

tl;dr: 'Western' money should be more than enough to rebuild enough of Ukraine. And sure, some 'Western' companies are going to take advantage of that, but they'll provide capital in return.

Tams

Not surprising coming from a Swiss bro. How good was that Nazi gold, by the way?

Ignored.

Ironbunny

Love how someone comes to a thread telling everyone the "truth" and how everyone else is spouting propaganda...

Kenpachii

It's already happening. Not only abolishing veto powers, but giving the EU more powers over nation states in health, energy and defence. The EU is becoming a unified super state.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news...ament-activates-process-to-change-eu-treaties

Won't be the end of the EU at all. It'll be the beginning of the end of independent European nations.

EU is a ecenomical alliance and nothing more. The defense is important because of Russia and we already work together through nato and other alliances this is nothing new, energy will be a massive debate and not work at all as the south won't bulge towards germany's command because that's exactly what it is safe germany. Health is already a thing because of markets with medicine etc, that's part of the ecenomical alliance.

If you think people are going to drop there independence for some EU overlord nation, u honestly have no clue about the EU, that's exactly what nobody in the EU wants, and u will see massive revolt against it in the country's, as it basically mean germany took over europe as they lead the whole EU. Go look at any debate or any conclusion that's formed its basically germany that tells you whats up + france walking like a puppy behind them.

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
Thanks for predictions. I'll check back in 2 months to see who was closer to the truth on the ground once again.

Poor Tams is so deep he can't handle a single contrarian opinion on a discussion forum.

sinnergy

Wtf is this ? A parody account ? Do you think British intel is wrong or propaganda? Russia clearly took on to much to handle .. and when we are near January, most of the Russians will be back in Russia , between 6 planks or not .

Wtf is this ? A parody account ? Do you think British intel is wrong or propaganda? Russia clearly took on to much to handle .. and when we are near January, most of the Russians will be back in Russia , between 6 planks or not .
Russian society nowaday is impossible to distingiush from parody villainy.

The idea that Ukraine will cease to exist in the near future, with Russia taking the eastern part and Poland the rest is the purestrain gold motherlode of Russian delusions. I can imagine it's a tempting idea, no more 'little Russia' to compare poorly to in culture, development, economy, military prowess, basically everything Russia is shit at.

IDKFA

EU is a ecenomical alliance and nothing more. The defense is important because of Russia and we already work together through nato and other alliances this is nothing new, energy will be a massive debate and not work at all as the south won't bulge towards germany's command because that's exactly what it is safe germany. Health is already a thing because of markets with medicine etc, that's part of the ecenomical alliance.

If you think people are going to drop there independence for some EU overlord nation, u honestly have no clue about the EU, that's exactly what nobody in the EU wants, and u will see massive revolt against it in the country's, as it basically mean germany took over europe as they lead the whole EU. Go look at any debate or any conclusion that's formed its basically germany that tells you whats up + france walking like a puppy behind them.

Key figures within the EU, past and present, have been striving for a United States of Europe for years.

Guy Verhofstadt is one person who has been actively campaigning for a USE for years. He even wrote a book on it in 2005 called United States of Europe, which interestingly won the first European book prize that was held in the European parliament in Brussels. Think of that what you will.

Another individual is German politician Martin Schulz, who once said that he wants to see a new constitution for a USE, but any member state that is against this should be kicked out of the bloc.

That's just two individuals of many who've been calling for the EU to morph into a new unified state. You then have political groups in Europe who's main goal is to form a USE. These include the Union of European Federalists and Volt Europa. And, I know they come across as crazy, but the FBPE cult on Twitter are mostly all for uniting Europe into one state.

I agree that at this moment in time, a majority of the public wouldn't agree to giving up their national identity to be part of a unified European state. However, the plan has been in motion for some time and it's happening at such a slow pace that most people aren't even aware it's happening.

Look at the current push to end veto rights, which was voted in favour by a majority of MEPs. If this was out to the public of each member state in the form of a referendum, do you think the people would agree to have their nations veto removed?

Top Bottom