• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Nintendo Direct coming next week

It is that time of year again. Similar to last year, a rumored Nintendo Direct and Sony State of Play for this upcoming week, September 11 - 17!

There is another GAF thread here with possible leaks. https://www.neogaf.com/threads/spoiler-alert-rumors-about-nintendo-direct-from-pyoro.1660808/

Is there anything you want to see?

For Nintendo. Not revealing any leaks here from the other thread.
These seem like a lock: Mario RPG, Star Ocean 2 R, Hogwarts Legacy, a Gamecube game, and Mk8D DLC.

For Sony: Spiderman 2, and probably a better look at least one of their Live Service games. Maybe Twisted Metal?

Should also see Fantasy Life in Direct, as well as perhaps F Zero and one other surprise. Something Zelda but obviously not TotK DLC since that game is complete.

Aside from a few predictions that it's only a matter of time about, I really don't know what to expect from Nintendo. And honestly, those can be the most exciting (or disastrous) Directs. Hoping for them to surprise us with something out of left field. Something like a brand new 2D Zelda (or Four Swords Adventures remake). New IPs in genres they haven't traditionally explored, that would be most welcome too.

blacktout

Here are the games Pyoro seems to be suggesting will be in the Direct, based on their tweets and likes:

The Donkey Kong game is Mario vs. Donkey Kong.
The F-Zero game is F-Zero 99.
The DS/Wii remakes are Another Code: Trace Memories & Another Code R.
The Peach game will receive a gameplay showcase and title reveal.

Note that if these are true, they're a lot more specific that his teases mentioned previously in this thread. That's why I threw on the spoiler tags.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Here are the games Pyoro seems to be suggesting will be in the Direct, based on their tweets and likes:

Note that if these are true, they're a lot more specific that his teases mentioned previously in this thread. That's why I threw on the spoiler tags.
Man that sounds incredibly boring. Peach game trends with the Switches target demographic so it makes sense.

blacktout

Man that sounds incredibly boring. Peach game trends with the Switches target demographic so it makes sense.

It's boring because Mario Wonder is either the last "big" Switch release, or the penultimate one, depending on what platform(s) Metroid Prime 4 is released on.

Development has moved on to the Switch 2, and we almost certainly won't hear about it or any of its games until next year.

Astral Dog

Peaches
055099b2f91ed958c230a26986fae11d4a7368d1.gifv

FYI— NateDrake made it pretty clear in his latest podcast episode today that Direct is this week, either Wednesday or Thursday.

So if that’s true, (and his track record is extremely good), it gets announced tomorrow at the usual 10AM EST time globally, for a Wednesday evening or Thursday airtime.

Should be a fun week! With the big Mario Wonder blowout already out there, I have to imagine there are some decently big guns left to drop in this one. Could be the last or second-to-last Direct just dedicated only to Switch games and not a new system.

Enjoy, all! Should be a good one ;)

Poplin

dang, f-zero 99 might be fun, though still holding out hope we get an f-zero GX port. one can only dream

Well, tomorrow's out. We missed the 10AM EST Tuesday announcement window for a Wednesday Direct. At this point, either it gets announced tomorrow for a Thursday Direct, or maybe NateDrake and a few others have the week wrong, *or it's not a big General Direct. Minis or Partner Showcase Minis drop on YouTube out of nowhere.

Should also see Fantasy Life in Direct, as well as perhaps F Zero and one other surprise. Something Zelda but obviously not TotK DLC since that game is complete.
I'm really hoping they put some effort into the new Fantasy Life. I had a blast playing the first Fantasy Life on the 3DS. Is the F Zero rumor confirmed?

FYI— NateDrake made it pretty clear in his latest podcast episode today that Direct is this week, either Wednesday or Thursday.

So if that’s true, (and his track record is extremely good), it gets announced tomorrow at the usual 10AM EST time globally, for a Wednesday evening or Thursday airtime.

Should be a fun week! With the big Mario Wonder blowout already out there, I have to imagine there are some decently big guns left to drop in this one. Could be the last or second-to-last Direct just dedicated only to Switch games and not a new system.

Enjoy, all! Should be a good one ;)
Do Nintendo Directs ever happen on Fridays?

I'm really hoping they put some effort into the new Fantasy Life. I had a blast playing the first Fantasy Life on the 3DS. Is the F Zero rumor confirmed?
Nothing's confirmed til Nintendo announces it, but it does sound like it's happening 🤷‍♂️. Yeah, not sure if this new Fantasy Life will be great or not, remains to be seen. Complete radio silence on it since the reveal in February. I wonder if it's in trouble, or it's been delayed.

Last edited:
At this point, I'd rather have a XCX2.
That, or a heavily, heavily altered/ remixed version that features a lot of improvements and alterations to make it more player-friendly. But the underlying game beneath all the annoying stuff is amazing, no doubt. Hidden deep, deep down. LOL.

I really loved the tone of that game, the enemy design, and the music. And the mech flying was awesome, but there's just so many barriers working against it and overcomplicating it. I think it would get reamed by the media in a big Switch 2 re-release without major updates and improvements. It mostly got a pass because it quietly launched as like the last major Wii U exclusive to only a few hundred thousand sales, the the console was already dead, so no outlets really paid much attention to it. I still play some of the music on YouTube to this day, though. Incredible OST that makes you feel like you're right back playing the game.

Last edited:
Takahashi doesn't even want to do a port let alone a sequel.
I remember reading an interview years ago back before COVID, but in the Switch cycle, where he said it would take a huge amount of money and a lot of time to convert it to Switch, so those were the main barriers preventing it from happening. It might be time better spent to just make an iterative sequel that uses the original as a base, I dunno. I do want it on a modern console, but the original just had so many annoying issues, I don't think even most Xenoblade fans would really enjoy it as is.

It was a very beautfiful, well-made, but just odd and quirky game.

Here's the article I sort of remembered, found it:

Last edited:

BlackTron

Nintendo is saving all the Big Guns for Switch 2 anyway. Mario Wonder is probably the most hype new game coming out on Switch period. Expect remakes and mid tier games to ride the wave until they can open the flood gates with Switch 2 reveal after Xmas. My guess is March-June for the real news you want

Nintendo is saving all the Big Guns for Switch 2 anyway. Mario Wonder is probably the most hype new game coming out on Switch period. Expect remakes and mid tier games to ride the wave until they can open the flood gates with Switch 2 reveal after Xmas. My guess is March-June for the real news you want
For sure they are. Mario RPG is likely mostly made by Square, with Nintendo supervising, just like the original. So if Peach game is also not made by EPD, and it could likely be Goodfeel or some other external partner, Wonder might well be one of the last internal Nintendo EPD-made games. Been an amazing ride!

I've no doubt F-Zero 99 might be a thing, but if so, it would exist to accompany a full F-Zero release of some kind, even if it's a re-release of GX like how they handled the Pikmin 1 & 2 re-releases over the summer. But likely a more souped-up GX remake is my guess, if it is finally F-Zero's turn in the sun. And they can throw one of the F-Zeros from GBA into NSO, as well.

Meh at Mario vs DK and Another Code. Just yawn. Way more excited to see release date and more info on the Dark Moon remake than the Peach game, but at least it's a new game! Maybe it'll be great?! 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

I remember reading an interview years ago back before COVID, but in the Switch cycle, where he said it would take a huge amount of money and a lot of time to convert it to Switch, so those were the main barriers preventing it from happening. It might be time better spent to just make an iterative sequel that uses the original as a base, I dunno. I do want it on a modern console, but the original just had so many annoying issues, I don't think even most Xenoblade fans would really enjoy it as is.

It was a very beautfiful, well-made, but just odd and quirky game.

Here's the article I sort of remembered, found it:

I think Takahashi was just being nice. He isn't going to bad mouth his own game. So he is making excuses for why he wont do it. The reality is it wasn't well received by the Xeno fans. Same thing happened with Xenosaga 2. Xenoblade 2 is the gold standard for Xeno games and the sells reflect that.

I think Takahashi was just being nice. He isn't going to bad mouth his own game. So he is making excuses for why he wont do it. The reality is it wasn't well received by the Xeno fans. Same thing happened with Xenosaga 2. Xenoblade 2 is the gold standard for Xeno games and the sells reflect that.

It’s hard to judge as well, since every game on Wii U underperformed, especially once Nintendo stopped supporting it in 2015 after Mario Maker. How well is a game gonna do on a dead system that’s being phased out.

Inanilmaz

16M then.

So Nintendo fans won't buy anything they're being thrown? How so? A gaffer just told me Nintendo fans will buy things they don't even want to buy in order to please Nintendo, or something of that fashion.
Back than not. but right now i think Nintendo fans will buy (almost) anything. The new social media era hits kinda different, they reached more fans thanks to it, especially girls. but of course some amount of quality&cutness still needs to be there.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Back than not. but right now i think Nintendo fans will buy (almost) anything. The new social media era hits kinda different, they reached more fans thanks to it, especially girls. but of course some amount of quality&cutness still needs to be there.
Sure, I've been hearing that shit for around 15 years or more already (and I swear that's been said for even longer).

What about Nintendo fans are Nintendo fans because they like what Nintendo put out and they buy it because it matches their tastes and not that they give up their money for "loyalty"?

Some people in the recent Nintendo threads were "laughing at Nintendo fans" for wanting a more powerful console and claiming "they said powerful consoles were bad" when I've never seen a single person saying so, ever.

What I hear all the time is: "As long as games play, look and run great, I'm ok" and that's what Nintendo games always do in their consoles. All flagship nintendo games made by nintendo studios have great performance.

Hudo

If he adds a female AI to the Skells so that each one has a personality and can flirt with the player or something, then he also gets the Xeno"fans" on board. Because most of the "fan"base is in there for the waifushit.

Kataploom

Gold Member
How so? Nintendo repackaged older Zelda and sold them again at $60. Tears of the Kingdom is not 60fps, runs at a poor resolution and Nintendo likes easy money, and people will buy s new improved version without a question.
TOTK is 1080p upscaled from 900p with FSR. That's more than most AAA current gen only games are getting these days. Some complain about performance but the game is pretty solid 30 fps, IDK wtf are they talking about, the only moment the frame rate tanks is when using the ultrahand and that's because it's using triple buffering so if the game goes down by a single FPS, it will go all the way down to 20 fps. They did it that way to make response times almost instant, which you won't see in your generic AAA with 100+ ms response times hidden by "cinematic animations".

Mister Wolf

If he adds a female AI to the Skells so that each one has a personality and can flirt with the player or something, then he also gets the Xeno"fans" on board. Because most of the "fan"base is in there for the waifushit.

Whatever pays the bills. But in a seriousness my best friend who is married is going through the Blade games. He already beat 1 and Future Connected. He has over 150hrs into 2 and shares the same sentiment. Better story, better characters, and better combat. Which is why 2 continues to sell.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Maybe apart from money he's not that interested in "re-doing the same", kinda like Nintendo philosophy.

I think they may do some changes to a hipotetical Xenoblade X re-release:
- Remove or change, or let player disable some music (like city at night and skells music)
- Change character style to something more akin Xenoblade DE/2/3. It fits their games better... and also look way better.
- Add Japanese VA to western release (many, including myself, will skip any anime game with only english VA)

Mister Wolf

Maybe apart from money he's not that interested in "re-doing the same", kinda like Nintendo philosophy.

I think they may do some changes to a hipotetical Xenoblade X re-release:
- Remove or change, or let player disable some music (like city at night and skells music)
- Change character style to something more akin Xenoblade DE/2/3. It fits their games better... and also look way better.
- Add Japanese VA to western release (many, including myself, will skip any anime game with only english VA)

If they let Saito redo the character designs and rewrote the game to make it story heavy then X might be salvageable. Not worth it though. After the end of Future Redeemed we all want Xenoblade 4.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Shit, I would absolutely take F-Zero 99. I know it’s not a sequel to GX, but I will lose my mind if someone even says “F-Zero” during a Direct.

Inanilmaz

Sure, I've been hearing that shit for around 15 years or more already (and I swear that's been said for even longer).

What about Nintendo fans are Nintendo fans because they like what Nintendo put out and they buy it because it matches their tastes and not that they give up their money for "loyalty"?

Some people in the recent Nintendo threads were "laughing at Nintendo fans" for wanting a more powerful console and claiming "they said powerful consoles were bad" when I've never seen a single person saying so, ever.

What I hear all the time is: "As long as games play, look and run great, I'm ok" and that's what Nintendo games always do in their consoles. All flagship nintendo games made by nintendo studios have great performance.
Relax buddy, im saying it for the first time so i don't care about shit what other people said before me. That's just my opinion and the view i have NOW about this topic. For example the new Pokemon sales numbers doesn't make it easier to change my view. Heard it many times "looked like shit but everyone was buying it so i bought it too, but wish i havent bought it, its trash" most people are like Lemmings not ALL.

Kataploom

Gold Member
You know, I fell in love with Bayonetta and Luka mutual treatment, so spicy, flirty and when things went serious, they just took it srsly too. Something like you mention that may allow for some "flavor" in the game might be awesome is done well.

Kataploom

Gold Member
If they let Saito redo the character designs and rewrote the game to make it story heavy then X might be salvageable. Not worth it though. After the end of Future Redeemed we all want Xenoblade 4.
I don't think it's worth it. It would also mean changing the entire game design, what I propose is just to make non essential changes that can make a big difference in the general perception.

Can't wait for next Monolith game whatever it is tho. It's funny and sad that every Nintendo Direct rumor thread we still ask for that port/remaster lol.

It was my most hyped Wii U game but couldn't get a Wii U at the time and I'm still with that spike in my mind.

Astral Dog

Xenoblade X was a cool game,but lacked a proper plot, some characters were quite annoying and had a very different tone than the previous Xenoblade game, it feels more directed at a 'Western' audience in comparison

I don't know if they will ever make a sequel, its really weird since the whole game seems like the intro of a bigger saga but nothing came of it

At the end it was the better choice to return to the first Xenoblade and establish the brand

Top Bottom