• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Intel Xe2 and Xe3 discrete GPUs “on hold”

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Intel's next-gen Arc Battlemage Xe2 and Celestial Xe3 GPUs might possibly be delayed or even canceled based on the latest posts from Golden Pig Upgrade over at Weibo.

Although there's no confirmation regarding a delay, the posts come from highly reliable leaker & insider, Golden Pig Upgrade, who has been accurate on countless occasions when it comes to his Intel and AMD mobility leaks. In the latest series of posts, he talks about Intel's plan regarding its next-gen Arc GPU family which will include Battlemage and Celestial.

Rumor is pretty vague but it sounds like the discrete Xe2 might be delayed or canceled as Intel focuses more on the integrated version, and same might apply to Xe3 :(

Last edited:

night13x

so my cousin who works on the battlemage cards at intel, Bill Nye the Science Guy, said that they are actually working on Xe4 (skipping 2 and 3) and promises the raster power of 3x of the RTX 4090 and 100x ray tracing improvements over the "leading brand card". Will release for $200 in 2025.

Last edited:
Aren’t GPU sales down across the board for AMD and NVDA?

It wouldn’t surprise me if Intel is expecting a market slowdown and is therefore worried they may not recoup with a broad range of chipsets if they can’t make a real dent in terms of perf on the NVDA latest and greatest.

Buggy Loop

It wouldn’t surprise me if Intel is expecting a market slowdown and is therefore worried they may not recoup with a broad range of chipsets if they can’t make a real dent in terms of perf on the NVDA latest and greatest.

Ever since Pascal, GPU owners don’t feel like the following gen is worth upgrading

So Turing had shit sales

Then Ampere happened during covid so even more demand

Ada sales are bad

5000 series?

It’s much like the oscillation effects after traffic jams called stop-n-go which are still there even though the jam is long gone.

Really sad if Intel doesn’t jump in. With RDNA 4 having no flagship, I had hope that mid range would have aggressive pricings.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
so my cousin who works on the battlemage cards at intel, Bill Nye the Science Guy, said that they are actually working on Xe4 (skipping 2 and 3) and promises the raster power of 3x of the RTX 4090 and 100x ray tracing improvements over the "leading brand card". Will release for $200 in 2025.
That is what my uncle at Nintendo told me they are putting in the Switch 2.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
oh-sure-john-candy.gif

Trogdor1123

Well shit, this would be bad if true. I was hoping Intel would slowly build up to higher end cards. There is a decent market at low to mid end of the GPU customer base they could have kept targeting. And they have been getting better with their drivers.
I was of this mind too. It would have been nice. Now we will have just Sony in consoles and nvidia on pc. Bit depressing

Nvidia is doing well in consumer GPUs they had good results but AMD had a terrible last 2 quarters in the consumer GPU market.

Sethbacca

I mean, if I were Intel I'd focus on my core business before the newer stuff especially after the failure of the recent gen cpus. Plus you've got Strix Point/Halo coming down the pipe that's just gonna further paint Intel into a corner. Sucks for the GPU side of the business but they really have to get their shit together on the CPU side of the business before AMD just eats their lunch entirely.

GreatnessRD

Let me find out MLID might actually be right. He did call this a year or two ago, can't remember. That would be super disappointing if Project Pat scraps the discrete GPU.

Chiggs

Gold Member
but they really have to get their shit together on the CPU side of the business before AMD just eats their lunch entirely.

Baby, I've been waiting
I've been waiting night and day
I didn't see the time
I waited half my life away
There were lots of invitations
And I know you sent me some
But I was waiting

For the miracle, for the miracle to come

diffusionx

Gold Member
Intel has invested billions if not tens of billions into the GPU industry. Nvidia is out there saying it's not a priority for them anymore which means that there is a potential opening for them to establish a strong business at the same time it is looking like X86 is getting into a EOL dead-end situation. So what do they do? Ehh fuck it. Just cancel 'em.

Intel is a loser company run by losers and it will be until they meet their inevitable end and become a footnote like Kodak and Blockbuster.

StereoVsn

Intel has invested billions if not tens of billions into the GPU industry. Nvidia is out there saying it's not a priority for them anymore which means that there is a potential opening for them to establish a strong business at the same time it is looking like X86 is getting into a EOL dead-end situation. So what do they do? Ehh fuck it. Just cancel 'em.

Intel is a loser company run by losers and it will be until they meet their inevitable end and become a footnote like Kodak and Blockbuster.
It’s the unfortunate consequence of “value for shareholders” quarter based targets. That just fucks with company’s ability to plan long term.

Shareholders don’t given again since vast majority don’t hold stock long enough. They would rather Intel dumbed $billions in stock buyback, and dumb personnel and project cuts that will bite them in the ass long term… but short term traders don’t care.

This whole system started toward late 80s can go and burn in hell.

Buggy Loop

Baby, I've been waiting
I've been waiting night and day
I didn't see the time
I waited half my life away
There were lots of invitations
And I know you sent me some
But I was waiting

For the miracle, for the miracle to come

Shoutout for a Cohen reference

Blinking Leonard Cohen GIF

Audiophile

With a few exceptions most devs are still pretty much releasing what amounts to PS4/X1 games with load of bells and whistles added. The 40 series has pretty much everyone covered for the next couple years.

Until the baseline shifts to top-tier PS5/XS games (or similar), the need for more GPU power isn't there for 99% of PC gamers. If you have a 4070/4080/4090, even a 3080/3090 then almost every game has the headroom hit 60+ and resolve a high quality image with high or max settings. DLSS/XeSS/FSR3 compound this further.

Unless you're one of the few who need the very latest, are on a 4K monitor and running heavy RT/PT, then the need for new hardware probably won't be there til the Nvidia 60 series or AMD 9000 series. Current cards are almost too good for the majority of the software out there. I think Intel would be best served by getting its higher end cards out just before those (mid '26?), with a strong featureset and a small price lead; in the meantime, focusing on building a strong foundation with low and mid end cards; as well as integrated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom