• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Sonic the Hedgehog 1 2 3 K on Sega Genesis/Megadrive

Does anybody else still play these games on the original Genesis carts? I always keep a Genesis hooked up to a nice old CRT. Was just playing a little bit of Ristar yesterday.

I never had 3&K for the Mega Drive, but I always play Sonic 2 on it. I've not played Sonic 1 on it recently, because I have the Mega 6 pack, but these days it just auto loads Revenge of Shinobi, so I play Sonic 1 on Mega Collection + for the PAL soundtrack.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles is the ultimate form of Sonic goodness and what every Sonic game should be like and a lot of it is because there was so much room given for running and the platforming didn't feel weird when it asked you to be more technical. Best music as well.

Metropolis Zone from Sonic 2 is the absolute worst fucking Sonic stage of all time. It lives to punish you for going fast even though the stage is very large and seems to encourage speed.

Does anybody else still play these games on the original Genesis carts? I always keep a Genesis hooked up to a nice old CRT. Was just playing a little bit of Ristar yesterday.
I went through them recently on Sonic Jam.

They're not perfect ports, and Sonic 2 has some weird slowdown issues, but it was interesting playing them on Normal (a difficulty that's slightly tuned down from the Original option) for the major differences. Couldn't help but notice the barrel in Carnival Night was gone.

jman2050

I actually liked Marble Zone somewhat, though it isn't a favorite of mine. I think it serves as a nice counterpoint to Green Hill. Whereas Green Hill is fast and loose and encourages freedom of experimentation, Marble Zone demands control and an understanding of Sonic's feneral movement and jumping abilities. Now it's not at all the best at doing that but I get the idea.

Labyrinth sucks though. It and Scrap Brain 3 are easily the low water marks (no pun intended) of the original series of games. Having slow, methodical gameplay in a Sonic game is fine. Having slow methodical gameplay in a water level is agonizing.

Shaming Marble Zone for its poop level design and praising Sonic 1 MS in place of the Genesis/Megadrive version?
OP is totally speaking my language!

With Sonic 1 I'm pretty sure they spent a lot of time getting Green Hill Zone just right to highlight Sonic's unique traits and create a strong first impression, to such a degree that the other stages had significantly less time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Shaming Marble Zone for its poop level design and praising Sonic 1 MS in place of the Genesis/Megadrive version?
OP is totally speaking my language!

With Sonic 1 I'm pretty sure they spent a lot of time getting Green Hill Zone just right to highlight Sonic's unique traits and create a strong first impression, to such a degree that the other stages had significantly less time.

That and to trick kids into thinking it was better than Super Mario World.

yyr

Marble Zone with terrible level design? You know Sonic is not about speed only.

Sonic 1 is perfect as it is

Came here to post this.

Sonic 1 is fantastic. It is just a very different game than the sequels.

I absolutely adore S3&K, but for different reasons.

Sonic 2 was good too but it's my least favorite of the three. I think I just prefer the level themes of the others.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Some of y'all need to suffer through Scrambled Egg Act 2 (on the Game Gear specifically) for some much needed perspective on truly agonizing classic Sonic levels.

I like Metropolis Zone and I'm not sure why, those exploding stars are just the worst.

Some of y'all need to suffer through Scrambled Egg Act 2 for some much needed perspective on truly agonizing classic Sonic levels.

My kid self couldn't understand the hanggliders in the game's second zone, it was one of my first games, I just didn't get it.

Now the only way I can retry is through the Game Gear version on Sonic Adventure DX, that first boss is the unbeatable gatekeeper to my past on that version.

Sonic The Hedgehog:

Marble Zone:

I actually like the level, Greenhill Zone was all about speed which is a staple of the Sonic series (first zone always just speed), but the second one you have to learn to be patient, take your time and avoid danger. I never go for the caterpillars as they are just too risky.

Labyrinth Zone:

I had to do the L,R,U,D, A+Start to get passed the third stage. Once you have the routes understood it isn't too bad. The last boss ended me as a kid, was only when I was an adult I realised I didn't need to hit Robotnik but I had to just survive.

Scrap Brain Zone:

Act 1-2 is great, but 3 is such a shift back to the Labyrinth Zone. I am sure there was a route which got you to the Final zone very quickly but have never found it as an adult.

Final Zone:

Last Boss was awful, just hide at the side and jump now and again.

First Computer game I ever played (Got it with Mega Drive for Christmas and I still love it).

Sonic 2 Special Stage was the pits, awful it was all memory of each corner, but becoming Super Sonic was great.

Final Stage was amazing and without rings was very nerve racking!

I just looked up that scrambled egg zone...

SB8bWFK.jpg

holy shit
Blue Marine Zone has competition.

gelf

While I don't think they are levels that highlight Sonic's unique strengths I don't mind the slow zones in Sonic 1. The game controls well enough for them to be fun as long as your not ruining it for yourself thinking "I'm Sonic I must go fast at all times".

Sami+

Honestly it's an unpopular opinion but I think 2 is by far the worst of the tetralogy. The enemy placement is total bullshit and the special stage sucks, especially with Tails. It's not a bad game but Sonic 1 felt like it had more polish and the others (Christian Whitehead's CD, not the original) are just more appealing to me.

Because people don't know how to play it correctly and aren't prepared to try.

That's not me being snobbish, just an observation.
So true.

And the backlash against Sonic CD is mostly recent (from last gen's remaster exposing it to more people). It was almost universally praised in the 16-bit era.

Branduil

Some of y'all need to suffer through Scrambled Egg Act 2 (on the Game Gear specifically) for some much needed perspective on truly agonizing classic Sonic levels.

No one deserves that.

It's funny how easy the secret last zone in that game is. Barely any enemies, no death pits, lots of open space. Hard to believe it's part of the same hell game as all the other zones.

Tain

I'm like the only one that loved Labyrinth Zone I guess.

Your low points are strengths to me with Sonic 1. I mean, every stage is pretty different from the other, is not "all levels are about speed" but each it's different, that makes the game feel more varied.

Scrap Brain act 3 was unnecesary though. It's like Metropolis act 3 in Sonic 2, fuck those tho stages.

My dude. I thought I was the only one, lol. Overall the original game is my favorite of them.

That said, CD felt a lot less cohesive than the original game last time I tried it. Some legitimately hard-to-read stages. I plan on giving it another shot some day though.

Branduil

SB8bWFK.jpg

holy shit

It's not even the tubes that make it so horrible, it's that some sections require precise memorization and timing, and if you make a mistake you literally have no choice but to die and start over. Inescapable spike pits are a running theme in that game.

Ferr986

My dude. I thought I was the only one, lol. Overall the original game is my favorite of them.

That said, CD felt a lot less cohesive than the original game last time I tried it. Some legitimately hard-to-read stages. I plan on giving it another shot some day though.

Thing is, in CD, when you say a route that looks kinda weird, like a blocked path or a ring inside a tile, is not because "lol the level design is so lazy" but because it's a hint that there's changes in the level design in the other time periods.

CD level design is more cohesive when you play the levels with time travel in mind (you need time traveling to unlock the good ending, unless you get the time stones).

I also think CD levels were partially based with Time attack in mind (first Sonic game to have a Time attack mode).

It's not even the tubes that make it so horrible, it's that some sections require precise memorization and timing, and if you make a mistake you literally have no choice but to die and start over. Inescapable spike pits are a running theme in that game.

Those bits with moving platforms that require you to dive into a tube to bypass a wall and plop back out on said platform that you can't actually see, I bet they had those inescapable pits below.

No one deserves that.

It's funny how easy the secret last zone in that game is. Barely any enemies, no death pits, lots of open space. Hard to believe it's part of the same hell game as all the other zones.

I never got to Crystal Egg Zone because I could never find the emerald on one of the stages.

Sixfortyfive

http://i.imgur.com/SB8bWFK.jpg?1
holy shit

The simultaneous moving platform + tubes section at the end of the zone is the cherry on top of the bullshit sundae that is Sonic 2 GG. You have to purposely bounce back and forth while inside the tubes for a very specific amount of time so that you exit the tube when the platform is ready to catch you. And there's no way to figure out how long you have to do this by any means but sheer all trial and error. And any failed attempt is a guaranteed death. Hope you stocked plenty of 1UPs.

No one deserves that.

Crystal Egg is basically a victory lap.

Honestly it's an unpopular opinion but I think 2 is by far the worst of the tetralogy. The enemy placement is total bullshit and the special stage sucks, especially with Tails. It's not a bad game but Sonic 1 felt like it had more polish and the others (Christian Whitehead's CD, not the original) are just more appealing to me.

2 might barely be my least-favorite of the main 4 games, but it's mostly because the one-two punch of Metropolis (bullshit) and Sky Chase (zzzzzz) hit really hard. I don't have major issues with the game outside of that.

The special stages have more lenient ring requirements if you're playing as either Sonic or Tails alone. The ring count is higher w/ Sonic & Tails because they expect a 2nd player to be controlling Tails.

bionic77

"Garbage port"? You're not referring to Taxman's (the guy who's working on Sonic Mania lol) remake, are you? That's literally the definitive version of the game. The only fault with it is that it's not on proper game consoles (or PC).
Playing Sonic on an iPad with touch is a horrible way to control the game.

My issue was with the controls and not necessarily with the accuracy of the emulation. I could not even focus on the emulation because it is just a bad way to play any of those old platformers.

ghibli99

Hard for me to shake the nostalgia and impact of the first game, even though objectively I know its numbered follow-ups were superior (I played most of the 16-bit installments again about 5-6 years ago). CD is probably my least favorite of the bunch, even though I can appreciate what it was trying to do with the various eras.

Arkeband

Banned
Thing is, in CD, when you say a route that looks kinda weird, like a blocked path or a ring inside a tile, is not because "lol the level design is so lazy" but because it's a hint that there's changes in the level design in the other time periods.

CD level design is more cohesive when you play the levels with time travel in mind (you need time traveling to unlock the good ending, unless you get the time stones).

I also think CD levels were partially based with Time attack in mind (first Sonic game to have a Time attack mode).

Level design based around stops and starts that involve loading screens and complete level layout changes are the opposite of cohesive.

The total number of Sega CD systems sold was ~ < 3% of the number of Genesis sold, which means 97% of Sega owners, many of which had one of the Sonics bundled with their console, never even got to judge it for themselves. That it's looked back on as a messy exclusive as opposed to the Wild West of 90's game review outlets not having that perspective shouldn't be a surprise.

Sciz

I did up until the point where I finally had to clear out the CRT to make room for other stuff. Would love to put the setup back together some day.

I've been playing a handful of romhacks on a flash cart lately.

http://info.sonicretro.org/images/c/cd/S1Amy_Rev1.6.png[img]

You wouldn't expect a character [i]without a spin attack[/i] to work in this game, but it's actually pretty solid! :o[/QUOTE]
I also love that these hacks have been getting more attention lately in the run-up to Mania. [url=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=212093916&postcount=10308]They're [i]so good.[/i][/url]

Theosmeo

To play

Green Hill
Starlight
Spring Yard (bonus weird glitchy double ending)
Scrap Brain
Marble
Labyrinth

Music

Starlight
Green Hill
Labyrinth
Scrap Brain
Marble
Spring Yard.

EDIT: this thread has also reminded me of the legendary smooth mcgroove https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbVZPu_JM6I

naw naw naw its like this ysee:

To play

Starlight
Green Hill
Spring Yard (bonus weird glitchy double ending)
Scrap Brain
Marble
Labyrinth

Music

Starlight
Spring Yard
Labyrinth
Green Hill
Marble
Scrap Brain

royox

I have to be one of the 3 people in gaf that played Sonic Chaos on Master System II because that blessed game was SO MUCH better than S1 and S2 at everything and seems this game did never exist when people open Sonic threads.

Synth

I have to be one of the 3 people in gaf that played Sonic Chaos on Master System II because that blessed game was SO MUCH better than S1 and S2 at everything and seems this game did never exist when people open Sonic threads.

It ran like shit.

Sixfortyfive

I had Sonic 2, Sonic Chaos, and Triple Trouble for Game Gear as a kid and played all of them quite a bit on long car trips.

I remember hardly anything about the last two, and the first was memorable for the wrong reasons.

Sonic 1 is interesting to play for me, just because the experimental "what if we made a platformer that's a chained series of momentum puzzles" is fully on display. I don't agree that it's a bad platformer, it's just unconventional. It's essential to understanding Sonic, vs judging it as a Mario game and concluding that the games aren't good. Subverting expectations isn't bad.

CD has some of those same qualities.

I do think 2 and 3&k are (1) much more accessible than either and (2) simply better, though.

Synth

How so? My 8 years old self couldn't feel that and after all those years I played it emulated.

I don't actually remember the game itself very well, as I haven't played it since I was a kid. I did actually really like it at the time, but it's one of the very first games where I recall noticing the console couldn't keep up. It was literally in slow motion a lot of the time.

gelf

It's my favourite 8 bit Sonic game by some margin(played the GG version myself) but I wouldn't rate it higher then any of the main Mega Drive games. It's just the closest approximation to the MD style of play.

Ferr986

I found Triple Trouble more accurate to the MD games, Chaos felt like 8bits CD to me, with the levels being shorter than usual but also more vertical designed. It was too easy and short though.

Sega Saturn

Neo Member
Sonic is very popular with kids, but for some reason they don't do anything of what attracted people to Sonic in the first place. Sonic Team's Sonic games now look like a really try hard attempt to appeal to kids when Sonic Mania is probably going to do better with kids than anything they've done since Sonic Adventure.

Top Bottom