• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! and Elite Beat Agents series 10 Year Anniversary Replay

Bakkus

I was shocked when I found out that EBA didn't sell well. I'd imagine alot of the Layton, Nintendogs, Brain Training, etc crowd would buy and love it.

Griss

Loved this series. EBA was the best though. The games could definitely have done with a couple more different types of inputs, though. (minus the circle wheel, which sucked)

Can't believe it has almost been 10 years. Scary how little has changed for me in my life in that time.

Would love to see a new one. The partnership with DeNA would mean that this would be a perfect mobile title. Like, perfect.

I was shocked when I found out that EBA didn't sell well. I'd imagine alot of the Layton, Nintendogs, Brain Training, etc crowd would buy and love it.

All of those games were very sterile and safe in terms of style. Elite Beat Agents was quirky and weird as hell. It doesn't surprise me at all that the extended audience said 'no thanks'.

Salsa

I knew Ouendan was dead the minute they announced the 3DS

shift screen focus to look at the top = nope

maybe WiiU?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
EBA was my first DS game. I love it. Beat the cheerleader difficulty and all that.
It really is one of the best rhytm game ever produced on DS

Used to love playing the games in middle school, one of my all time favorite series. Every Nintendo Direct I always hope that a new EBA or Ouendan gets announced in the US or Japanese streams respectively.

Astarte

EBA was the first game I picked up for my DS and I've adored it. It's my favorite game on the DS, barring Ouendan 2.
Good lord I love this series, it really deserves another go!

spiritfox

Only game that caused me to cry due to a Chicago song.

What made Ouendan (and EBA) so good is the wrapping around the game. The characters are fun, the squads are lively, and the "story" is just hilarious. Even if you failed a section you still get treated to a scene, which might even be better than the success one. The only other rhythm game that even comes close to this series' presentation is Rhythm Tengoku. The gameplay is good too of course.

Really the only rhythm game I've ever enjoyed. Gameplay is unbelievable addicting. Wish it would have done better and survived for a few more games. :(

GamerJM

Banned
Ouendan was one of my first Japanese imports (the first being the Mother 1+2 OST). It later encouraged me to get the Japan-only Ice Blue DS Lite, Ouendan 2, the F-Zero GX/AX OST, and 4 of the GBA Bit Generations games.

I remember hearing that EBA was announced at E3 (one of the reasons why 2006 is my favorite year in gaming), and I remember picking up the game and being so excited on my way home.

Then came Ouendan 2 with even newer features, and what felt like a forgettable soundtrack, but I eventually warmed up to it and found favorites.

I'm replaying my whole DS library to see how long it takes to beat each game, plus it helps fill out my Total Time Played list in my Software Library. I'll do these three games after I beat Chrono Trigger.

Ouendan was my first import as well, though prior to playing it I had played Japanese arcade games that my local arcade imported so I knew was I was in for. I remember I had to convince my mom to let me order games on Play-Asia when I was in middle school lol.

I like osu! conceptually and I've gotten a decent amount of use out of it over the years, but I just don't think Ouendan makes for a good higher-level rhythm game. I played with a tablet and was able to do pretty well, but doing fast streams via tapping got really difficult quickly, and map creators seemed to have keyboard play in mind by inserting lots of them, which takes a good amount of the appeal out of it for me. Plus I don't have much interest in the majority of songs people are making maps for, lol.

Still fun for occasional play sessions with friends. And Taiko mode.

Really? I haven't played much Osu (I don't have a tablet and fuck playing it with a mouse) but it seems like something that would make a good high level rhythm game to me. I'd imagine at a higher level Beatmaps would be like much more difficult versions of Ready Steady Go or Samurai Blue on top level difficulty. And there seems to be a huge variety of songs available for Osu. The designing beatmaps for mouse play makes sense though.

Also I agree that EBA is the best one. Most interesting storylines, best presentation and probably my favorite beatmaps. Ouendan 2 comes close and Ouendan 1 has my favorite soundtrack.

cj_iwakura

Ouendan 1 > September > Everything else in EBA > Ouendan 2

They hit solid gold with O1's song list and never came close.

Despite the kind of game it is, EBA is one of the few games that actually made me cry.

You guys know what I'm talking about.

Well, I guess it's time to buy all three of these games again. Ouendan 1 was the game that finally made me get a DS Lite, since it was so hard to do the spinning wheel parts of stages on the sunken touch screen of the phat 3DS. The DS Lite's raised touch screen made things much easier.

I still remember coming incredibly close to beating (even perfecting!) Jumpin' Jack Flash on hard in the airport on vacation after days of trying, until my stepmom walked up to me and asked me a question, causing me to fail. :( I've never played all of the songs in EBA as a result....

I know it's 100% unreasonable for Nintendo to make a new EBA since the original had disappointing sales...but I still dream.

Alfredo

It's a shame Elite Beat Agents didn't have a revival when the music industry started allowing more licensed music in rhythm games thanks to Guitar Hero and Rock Band. I wanted an Ouendan game with a huge song list.

Yeah, there's Osu, but I could never get it working on my iPhone. Osu Stream is a pretty good iOS version of it, but it doesn't have that many songs.

I even bought that Michael Jackson: The Experience game on the DS, because it ripped off the Ouendan gameplay, but with a Michael Jackson soundtrack! ...but they locked off all the harder difficulties, so it was kind of boring to play, and I never got to see if they game got any more challenging.

...so yeah, I want a new Ouendan!

Chopper

10 years?!

Words don't describe how much I love the original Ouendan. The sequel was great, but the first one is totally stunning.

Fuck Metroid
Fuck Zelda
Fuck Mario
Fuck Starfox
Fuck Mach Rider
Fuck Balloon Fight
Fuck Brain Age
Fuck Famicom Detective Club

This is the only series that Nintendo should have on their list of "Games we really should be making a sequel to"

Honestly one of my favorite video games of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_80O22OJRs

7686178464_fdc8ea66c7.jpg

Still cannot hear that song ever again without picturing the game and getting misty eyed.

LOVED me some EBA back in the day. Wish this series would come back.

This still fucking hurts. Especially because i failed it the first time and felt like garbage.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I love these games so much. I would give so much to get another one. Ouendan 2 is the only game I've ever imported.

gugeifer

I try to replay these at least once in 1-2 years

They are fantastic games and it's a shame that the franchise is pretty much forgotten by its creators.

Ouendan and EBA are love.

Nyoro SF

Some of the finest titles in the DS library for sure. I remember importing the first game having no idea what I was really in for.

Dr. Buni

Amazing series. After Bust a Groove, definitely my favorite rhythm games. I really love Ouendan in special and I'd kill for a new game in the series.

Ouendan was amazing, I was utterly hooked on it for weeks and even had the soundtrack on my ipod to help me learn the songs to beat expert mode.

Cant believe it's been 10 years though. I reviewed it for PALGN.au at the time and remember it being the only review online for a good while. Penny Arcade featured it and the view count went through the roof which as a reviewer was nice to get my work seen and appreciated by so many, especially as I'm sure a fair few people would have purchased Ouendan because of it.

Really? I haven't played much Osu (I don't have a tablet and fuck playing it with a mouse) but it seems like something that would make a good high level rhythm game to me. I'd imagine at a higher level Beatmaps would be like much more difficult versions of Ready Steady Go or Samurai Blue on top level difficulty. And there seems to be a huge variety of songs available for Osu. The designing beatmaps for mouse play makes sense though.

Well, I should rephrase, since osu!'s play numbers speak for themselves in asserting that a lot of people do consider it a good high-level rhythm game. I should say that despite my adoration of Ouendan and its gameplay, I don't find playing more difficult charts in osu! to be as gratifying or enjoyable as it is in other rhythm games. There are a fair number of difficult songs I have enjoyed playing in osu! in the past, but I've never felt particularly inclined to delve in any further. For one thing, song length can get to be a detractor. 2-4 minute songs (including breaks) rather than 1-2 minute songs in many other rhythm games tends to make retries quite painful. Additionally, like I said before, the attempts to turn it from a touch screen game to a tablet/mouse + keyboard game by creating sequences of notes so fast it's near impossible without 2 input buttons make the gameplay itself less appealing to me. And there's definitely a huge variety of songs available for the game, which is great, but I can't remember the last time I've checked recently approved maps and seen anything of interest to me.

The former two things I mentioned are definitely on a chart-by-chart basis and the last one could be chalked up to my unwillingness to try out something new, but what it comes down to in the end is that I've never felt compelled to continue playing osu! to reach the most difficult songs, while I have in other games. I might just not be suited for it, and that's okay with me. I adore the DS games and that's good enough, lol.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Maybe I'll finally beat the final level in the first one.

The lack of intro skip really makes retrying it a pain.

Managed to beat EBA on cheerleader difficulty and I'm not the best at rhythm games. So I was pretty chuffed with that.

Ouendan was the one game I really wanted to buy while I was in Japan back in November of 2006. It was almost impossible to find and I was checking any shop possible in the hopes to see it on the shelves. I managed to strike lucky and find a copy after a nice shopkeeper gave us a tip on the last day there.

I'm gonna go out a limb and say that this series is the best series of rhythm games ever made. No other games, or series, has ever provided me with as much joy as the Ouendan series has.

Harusame

I've been meaning to import the Ouendan series for quite some time now, but never got to it. I have thoroughly played Elite Beat Agents fully, and I could never get enough.

I've been meaning to import the Ouendan series for quite some time now, but never got to it. I have thoroughly played Elite Beat Agents fully, and I could never get enough.
Why are you posting instead of ordering? They're better than EBA, you have SO MUCH LEFT TO EXPLORE.

How difficult is Ouendan after completing EBA and Ouendan 2?

Not very. Like, you probably won't be clearing Ready Steady Go on your first try or anything, but it's definitely not significantly harder than either other game. The charts don't exercise as consistent spacing reflective of timing as the following two, though.

Zomba13

Still hurts that we'll never get another one and even if we do get an Ouendan 3 I can't play it on my 3DS :(

CassSept

I love the series but I'll admit I never got around to importing the original Ouendan :(

I played the hell out of Ouendan 2 though. I liked Elite Beat Agents, but Ouendan 2, damn. Hours upon hours I'd return to the game after years and still be able to play it fo hours. S ranked everything in invisible mode and still played for hours and hours. Such a damn good game.

Edit: My oldest record is Julia ni Heartbreak on May 27th 2007 and the youngest are Monkey Magic and Music Hour (one after another!) on January 27th 2012. Nearly 5 years apart. Damn.

Edit 2: I still find it so bizarre that out of entire EBA soundtrack the most fun song to play is Survivor by Destiny's Child.

How difficult is Ouendan after completing EBA and Ouendan 2?

The only thing really harder is the spinners. It only gets annoying when you can't skip the intro to songs, which means you have to sit through the 30-second intro to Ready Steady Go every time you fail, and you'll do it a lot.

I can't believe one of my favorite songs is a Ashley Simpson song. Playing on Hard Rock is more more satisfying than any other difficulty. It's perfectly balanced in speed and difficulty. I find it easier to time the beats than in other difficulties too. Trying to get really good scores on easy is actually hard because it's so slow.

Top Bottom