• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Logan

Mossybrew

Watched this again tonight after only viewing it once back upon release, it really holds up. It made me think that most comic/superheroes eventually need a movie like this - I mean I know Marvel finally killed off Iron Man, but more the vibe that time moves on, even superheroes get old and fucked up and eventually die. Leaves room for something new. Like, in 20, 30 years are we still going to be having Batman movies? Can the endless reboots ever end and acknowledge that most of these heroes are mortals and will eventually die?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Watched this again tonight after only viewing it once back upon release, it really holds up. It made me think that most comic/superheroes eventually need a movie like this - I mean I know Marvel finally killed off Iron Man, but more the vibe that time moves on, even superheroes get old and fucked up and eventually die. Leaves room for something new. Like, in 20, 30 years are we still going to be having Batman movies? Can the endless reboots ever end and acknowledge that most of these heroes are mortals and will eventually die?

The Dark Knight trilogy dealt with all of that. It acknowledged his age, and that he couldn’t keep going.

Logan is fabulous, but not a repeat view for me.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The Dark Knight trilogy dealt with all of that. It acknowledged his age, and that he couldn’t keep going.

Logan is fabulous, but not a repeat view for me.
Did it? I only watched The Dark Knight Rises once but I felt his condition in that had little to do with age. It certainly wasn't explicitly stated. I think it had more to do with injuries and the fact that he became a recluse for years. God, I hated that part. Batman should never give up.

Logan is amazing. It's a pretty bleak ending to the Fox X-men universe but half of those movies are shite anyway.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Did it? I only watched The Dark Knight Rises once but I felt his condition in that had little to do with age. It certainly wasn't explicitly stated. I think it had more to do with injuries and the fact that he became a recluse for years. God, I hated that part. Batman should never give up.

Logan is amazing. It's a pretty bleak ending to the Fox X-men universe but half of those movies are shite anyway.

Well, it at least dealt with the idea that Bruce Wayne inevitably gets older, more bashed up, and that at some point he’d have to stop.

But you’re right on the giving up part. Totally wrong for the character. But then Nolan cared more about rounding out a trilogy than honouring the source material. Batman will never have a happy ending, and he’ll never quit. A bit of a cornerstone of the character, really.

dr_octagon

Banned
Logan is great as a tribute to the characters and the actors playing the role.

It was a lot more grounded and bleak but it worked for the story. Having an end point and proper conclusion is good but may not work for the plans with multiverse and all stuff.

Would love that but ain't gonna happen. Batman is too profitable. It's funny how superheroes are suppose to protect people but in our world they're just sacred cash cows protected by corporations. It's no Logan, but The Boys do a great job of exploring everything wrong with our superhero obsession.
Logan is great as a tribute to the characters and the actors playing the role.

It was a lot more grounded and bleak but it worked for the story. Having an end point and proper conclusion is good but may not work for the plans with multiverse and all stuff.
This is what I really miss. Movie franchises and characters having an end point. Instead of getting their asses dragged back to life forever like the comics that inspired them

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
X-men is big but if people really wanted it they wouldn’t be pushing things like moonlknight, hawk arrow and she hawk. I remember when X-men was big.

Top Bottom