• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Asura's Wrath, AKA My Favorite Shonen Anime

tumblr_oa575jOuOG1vnv206o1_540.gif

Man, what a ride. I started replaying it again and...I missed this shit.

Asura's Wrath and I have a weird background. When it was first announced, I was incredibly hyped. The trailer sold it as kind of a cranked up God of War about a force of unstoppable rage, and as someone who's always had serious anger issues, it seemed like it was really speaking to my heart.

Then the game came out, and it got mixed reviews. It got called a QTE-fest, an interactive anime, not worth the asking price, etc. Most agreed it had a surprisingly good story, and did a lot new, but that it wasn't worth $60. So, disappointed, I ignored it. The thing about the final four episodes being DLC scared me off, too, though in their defense, I found out later it was only because they were supposed to be part of a full sequel but the game didn't sell.

About eight months later, I found it on sale for $20 and decided to give it a shot. Two episodes in, I fell in love. Ten, and I started to see real depth. Twenty-two...well, as the game ended, I was crying, a rare reaction.

I won't lie. The people who said Asura's Wrath isn't enough of a 'game' to be worth $60 might have been right, but that doesn't change the fact that I think it was a revolutionary experiment in interactive fiction, a stellar display of artistic and musical splendor, and, most unexpectedly, a perfect summary of everything awesome about shonen anime with none of the baggage.

To elaborate, I always felt that shonen's problem was pacing. Usually filler or just poor writing drag them down, extending fights well beyond how long they should go on, padding ridiculous plots, etc. Asura's Wrath cuts all of that out. It tells its story precisely, concisely, and with incredible finesse.

The Story

And what a story it is. I didn't expect what I got. I won't spoil anything in case this thread causes someone to go out and get the game [and I hope it does], but what starts off like a revolving door of epic moments quickly turns into a deeply intimate tale of noble intentions being corrupted, the self-destructive nature of rage, and fatherly love. It's certainly not perfect - the female characters kind of get tossed aside - but I was stricken by just how complex of a character Asura is, and how dynamic most of the cast proves to be. On the surface, he's just an angry asshole, but the longer the game goes on, the more it becomes obvious he's nothing like most 'berserker' protagonists, and a far cry from Kratos, his primary narrative rival. He's troubled, shy, and has difficulty expressing himself. People don't like him, and he kind of deserves that, but then we see him with his family. With innocent people. With those who would worship him. He can't stand idolatry, even towards himself. He hates power. He's the god of wrath, yet has more concern for innocent life than anyone else in his pantheon.

Coming from Cyberconnect 2, who were mostly known for their adaptations of Naruto games, this was a shock. They knocked the narrative out of the park. Less shocking was the obvious Naruto references, like Asura's wrath form and his dynamic with Yasha. Those were cool though.

The Gameplay

The most controversial part of Asura's Wrath. Three main facets of gameplay: action combat, rail-shooting, and quick-time events. As an action game, AW is...not great. It's best to just admit that.

The action combat is basic, but I like it. Light attack, heavy attack, and projectiles, along with a rage meter you build to progress the fight. Compared to real action games, it's pretty mediocre. No doubt there. But I thought it wasn't bad.

The rail-shooting is equally basic, with light and heavy shots and lock-ons, but it does a good job of mixing things up and adding variety to the gameplay.

The quick-time events, though...that's what I wanna talk about. QTEs are rightfully derided for interrupting cutscenes and providing an unhealthy attempt at blending cinema and gameplay while servicing neither. I'd argue AW is one of few games to actually manage exactly that goal, however. Asura's Wrath's QTEs are perfectly timed and designed to make you -feel- like Asura. The cutscenes just wouldn't be the same without hitting that Y just as his fist made contact, or spamming B to win a punch-off. Without spoiling anything, they also have one of the best Interface Screws/meta commentaries in the last episode that make them all worth it, in my opinion.

The Graphics

giphy.gif

My god, what a beautiful game. Technically it was pretty impressive for when it hit [in my opinion] but artistically...absolutely gorgeous. Heavily drawing on Buddhist and Hindu mythology, it took advantage of under-utilized themes and scenery in gaming. The environments, a mix of sci-fi and fantasy, were gorgeous - but the characters stole the show. Living statues of lacquer and machinery. The facial animation is still some of the best I've ever seen four years later; you can always tell what emotion a character is feeling, even when part of their face is hidden. The sense of scale as the plot progresses is insanely impressive, and it just never stops throwing new assets at you. Even compared to modern games, Asura's Wrath is stunning. The comic interludes and anime-style DLC episodes add variety and tons of gorgeous art as well.

Sound

Interlude Theme

Holy hell. The music, the voice acting. Liam O'Brien kills it as Asura in particular, but everyone is fantastic. Just like the animation, the voice work does an incredible job of nailing subtle emotion. You can always tell how someone feels from their tone, even when shifting from one emotion to another. I also vote Asura's Wrath as having the best scream of anguish in gaming ever. [Thanks, Liam, for making me cry.] Yasha and Augus are standouts for voice work as well, along with Tara Strong as Asura's daughter.

The music is just as good. Original themes blend with great use of classical tracks for a gorgeous sound. Instead of the hard-metal or thumping beats we might expect, Asura's Wrath favors melancholy and classical music, providing contrast to the bombastic action. Moments of insane rage and vicious violence are given extra impact by quiet, thoughtful themes. Also the best use of Dvorak Symphony 9 ever.

All in all, Asura's Wrath is just...special to me. With all the struggling I've done with anger in my life, I wasn't expecting this game to take such a thoughtful approach to its plot, and the characters are incredibly memorable for me. I missed this game, and I don't think I'll ever get tired of replaying it.

It's irredeemable that the actual ending to the game is paid DLC.

I can't say I disagree, but it's better than the alternative. The last four episodes were never supposed to be part of AW1; they were supposed to be part of a sequel, but the game sold so poorly a sequel didn't get green lighted. Capcom let them finish the story with the DLC.

It's shitty that it's how it went down, but 'irredeemable' is a bit strong imo.

Just found out it's on PS now... I think I'll check it out

I highly recommend it, but be aware the PsNow version doesn't have the DLC, sadly. That said, you can always watch the missing episodes on Youtube, though I think some of the impact is lost that way.

The height of Gaming Cinematography in my opinion because that's really all this game has...and needs along with its superb narrative.

Asura is excellently developed as you've noted. He's the not the embodiment of mindless Rage but Rage that has reason behind it. It's not that he's angry, it's why he's angry. And that's what characters like Kratos beyond the first game fail to develop.

There's a strong sense of charisma, there's deception in spades, but the intention of characters is always placed in the believed pursuit of good. Character wise, there isn't anyone really Evil in Asura's wrath aside from the primordial Gohma which serve as the force of nature Villain.

I love the 2D artwork in between the episodes and the Score is always well timed. And its story is finished which is the best part, there's no need for a sequel. All the questions are answered and plot threads resolved.

RedFury

Is this BC on X1. Was hoping for PC but found it didn't come out for it. X1 is the only way I'll be able to play it. PSN own with no DLC is a no go.

I don't get why a majority of NeoGAF thinks the action in this game is awesome and over the top, but then pushes the "anime was a mistake" meme. Or is NeoGAF not just one hive mind?

The height of Gaming Cinematography in my opinion because that's really all this game has...and needs along with its superb narrative.

Asura is excellently developed as you've noted. He's the not the embodiment of mindless Rage but Rage that has reason behind it. It's not that he's angry, it's why he's angry. And that's what characters like Kratos beyond the first game fail to develop.

There's a strong sense of charisma, there's deception in spades, but the intention of characters is always placed in the believed pursuit of good. Character wise, there isn't anyone really Evil in Asura's wrath aside from the primordial Gohma which serve as the force of nature Villain.

I love the 2D artwork in between the episodes and the Score is always well timed. And its story is finished which is the best part, there's no need for a sequel. All the questions are answered and plot threads resolved.

Yeah, no kidding. Whoever directed the camerawork for Asura's Wrath deserves some kind of award. I've never seen such good cinematography in a game before; the timing on zoom-ins, panning camera angles, and action shots is just impeccable. It's a lot of what sells the QTEs to me, and makes them a boon instead of a problem.

I don't get why a majority of NeoGAF thinks the action in this game is awesome and over the top, but then pushes the "anime was a mistake" meme. Or is NeoGAF not just one hive mind?

Lotta people on Neogaf, man. That said, as someone who tends to dislike anime, I think a lot of what sold AW is that the art style's very distinct and the pacing is very quick. I love shonen, but one of my biggest issues with the subgenre is that it usually is paced way too slowly. AW rectifies that with a very concise story.

Is this BC on X1. Was hoping for PC but found it didn't come out for it. X1 is the only way I'll be able to play it. PSN own with no DLC is a no go.

Sadly, I don't think it is, though I don't have an Xbox One to prove it. It was a pretty low-selling game, so I doubt it was a priority for them to make backwards compatible.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

The latter.

CC2 takes the material they are given and makes it way better. The Naruto games are the only way to experience latter half of Naruto IMO, they skip all of Kishimoto's BS the most they can, and get straight to the epic action and try to play up the attempted emotional beats as much as they can

Roubjon

I don't think I've ever been so blown away by a final boss fight ever. I'm talking about the DLC one. I love this game and it bummed me it sold so poorly. It was ahead of it's time and was definitely marketed incorrectly.

I didn't know that about the DLC. I always thought it was shitty they did that with the DLC, but if that's the case I'm actually glad then.

I ended up getting it for about $30 on sale not super long after it released. I had fun with it.

I don't think I've ever been so blown away by a final boss fight ever. I'm talking about the DLC one. I love this game and it bummed me it sold so poorly. It was ahead of it's time and was definitely marketed incorrectly.

I don't think it was ahead of its time, rather I think it was a distillation and refinement of the tropes of its time, most predominately QTEs and "Cinematic Gaming". Whatever you decide to do, do it well and develop it. And Asura's Wrath certainly does this.

The latter.

CC2 takes the material they are given and makes it way better. The Naruto games are the only way to experience latter half of Naruto IMO, they skip all of Kishimoto's BS the most they can, and get straight to the epic action and try to play up the attempted emotional beats as much as they can

Honestly, AW convinced me that CC2 is wasted on licensed stuff. Not to say their Naruto games aren't great, but they have some seriously talented writers and cinematographers on their staff. I imagine a Telltale or Dontnod-style episodic series by them and it makes me wistful.

Inuhanyou

Honestly, AW convinced me that CC2 is wasted on licensed stuff. Not to say their Naruto games aren't great, but they have some seriously talented writers and cinematographers on their staff. I imagine a Telltale or Dontnod-style episodic series by them and it makes me wistful.

Yeah, it feels like they could attempt something like that and it would work out just well for them, just considering their backround.

I wonder what they will do when they are finished with FF7R...i'd either like them to do what you say, make a fully story based game, and cut out the gameplay aspect.

Or go in the absolute opposite direction and do a collaboration with Platinum, for the most insane, batshit crazy setpiece and combat fest of all time, with an excellent story.

TheOGB

Banned
I was just thinking about Asura's Wrath this morning. It is a shame how the ending was released, but goddamn was it satisfying.

I'm still holding out hope for a sequel/spin-off based on the epilogue :(

Remember folks, shonen is a demographic and not a genre, and it is not all action and fight based anime is based on shonen material

also the day that david cage or telltale make anything as satisfying as asura's wrath is the day i eat my hat. Until Dawn is at least TRYING, albeit in a very different genre.

Listening to some 2012 era Bombcast the other day and this game came up, the boys reactions were great.

I never finished it despite loving it. That moon fight was magnificent.

Inuhanyou

Remember folks, shonen is a demographic and not a genre, and it is not all action and fight based anime is based on shonen material

also the day that david cage or telltale make anything as satisfying as asura's wrath is the day i eat my hat. Until Dawn is at least TRYING, albeit in a very different genre.

This is true, Shingeki is a shounen manga, but otherwise would not be considered one. Chrno Crusade is my favorite manga of all time, and follows zero Shounen Jump style shounen traits.

KRaZyAmmo

The fight against Augus still gets me. I love the sense of scale and the cinematography is ramped up to 11. I thoroughly enjoyed it when i borrowed it from a friend.

wbEMX

I got it off of GameStop for 15 bucks a few years ago and I fucking loved everything about it. That game is so underated. I would love another game like that from CC2. Seeing how jaw-droppingly awesome their production values were on Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, another game like that on PS4 would blow my mind.

I also recently lent AW to a good friend of mine who loves CC2's Naruto games and all those shonen anime. He never knew AW existed. He played through it in one day and now considers it to be one of his favorite PS3 games.

I can't say I disagree, but it's better than the alternative. The last four episodes were never supposed to be part of AW1; they were supposed to be part of a sequel, but the game sold so poorly a sequel didn't get green lighted. Capcom let them finish the story with the DLC.

It's shitty that it's how it went down, but 'irredeemable' is a bit strong imo.

Wait- THAT's how it went down? Thank God that we got the ending the way we did then. Goodness.

AHHH, Asura's Wrath is outstanding. I need to get the soundtrack and artbook one of these days. I actually ran into Piroshi at NYCC one year and got him to sign my copy of the game. XD

specdot

Well, they're the studio behind the .hack// (yes, my online name is a derivative of .hack//sign) series. They released 7, yes 7 of those games on PS2. They were, interesting, to say the least. I would argue that the liscensed stuff has been a godsend for them. Not that many people know this, but they are the studio working on the first part of the Final Fantasy VII remake.
As for Asura's Wrath, that game is so freaking good. The story it incredible.

Well, they're the studio behind the .hack// (yes, my online name is a derivative of .hack//sign) series. They released 7, yes 7 of those games on PS2. They were, interesting, to say the least. I would argue that the liscensed stuff has been a godsend for them. Not that many people know this, but they are the studio working on the first part of the Final Fantasy VII remake.
As for Asura's Wrath, that game is so freaking good. The story it incredible.

Oh yeah, I mean financially, licensed stuff saved the studio. I just think in terms of talent they really deserve a shot at another new IP. I think Asura's Wrath would have sold much better as an episodic game.

BadWolf

Amazing game, one of the best surprises of last gen.

Would have been perfect if they let the DMC team handle the combat.

RMI

Banned
one of the best games of last gen IMO. Loved the story and not bitter about the "real" ending being locked behind DLC. I don't typically buy story DLC and didn't feel disappointed with what was on the disc.

I just played this game again recently on the Vita. So good. It's a shame we'll probably never got another one. I would like if Asura became a fighter in a Capcom game at least.

Jmille99

This game convinced me that QTEs arent always a bad thing. But at the same time, no other game has hit this QTE perfection since.

Would have loved a sequel, or at least a similar style game for a different franchise or something (Im still convinced this is the only way for Superman bossfights to work if that game ever gets made).

I was in the same boat. Got scared off by reviews but ended up buying it later on the cheap - and loved it. It definitely does go way heavy on the QTEs for my taste, but the game is certainly an experience.

The over-the-top over-beyond-possible-top-action this game delivers is amazing. Gameplay is simple but how fun it's to play/watch

So many exiting bits in the game makes it impossible for me to choose only one.

I was sold with the trailers pre-release and bought it day 1. Then I borrowed to my friends and all of them loved it too

Never bought/played the Final Chapter (DLC). Now that time has passed, if it becomes BC, I'll buy it and resolve the cliffhanger the actual game was

Loved the game. Still like it . Pure shonen fun , so over the top

I have no regrets about my purchase.
Sometimes games needs to do things like this.

For what they set out to do , ashura wrath suceeded in my heart

This game convinced me that QTEs arent always a bad thing. But at the same time, no other game has hit this QTE perfection since.

Would have loved a sequel, or at least a similar style game for a different franchise or something (Im still convinced this is the only way for Superman bossfights to work if that game ever gets made).

Yeah, no kidding. I feel like AW's animation work and cinematography really enhanced the way the QTEs added to the experience. Compare the game's QTEs to, say, Telltale, and it's just a massive difference.

Top Bottom