• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Romancing SaGa 3 |OT|

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
7VRyL3W.jpg

Release Date:
November 11, 1995 (Original JP)
November 11, 2019 (Remaster WW)

Developer:
Square Enix, ArtePiazza

Genre:
Japanese Turn-based RPG

Platforms:
SNES (original)
PS4, PSVita, PC, Xbox One, Switch (remaster)

Price:
$28.99

Setting:
"The Rise of Morastrum--an event where the dark star blocks out the sun--threatens the very existence of our world. All born in that year are doomed to perish before its end.

However, during the first Rise of Morastrum 600 years ago, a sole child did survive. He came to be known as the Archfiend, leading the world to ruins.

Another 300 years passed, and again a child defied fate. She came to be known as the Matriarch, defeating the evil and bringing peace back to the world.

Now, 300 years later, the Rise of Morastrum strikes again, and the fate of the world hangs in the balance.

Will there be another child of destiny? Will the child be righteous, evil, or another force that the world cannot fathom?

And now, we relive the grand story revolving around the “Child of Fate” who survived...
"

Gameplay:
Players get to choose what a character will specialize in, and whether or not to strengthen their physical or magic power. If a player constantly has a character attack, then their strength will grow along with their TP (tech points). If a player constantly has a character attack with a specific weapon, then they will learn special attacks that use only that weapon. Special physical attacks use up TP. If a player constantly has a character use magic, then their magic power will grow along with their MP (magic points). If a player constantly has a character attack with a specific element of magic, then their magic power with that element will grow, and magic attacks (obviously) use up MP. Characters that you have more focus on physical attacks have a tendency to get higher maximum HP than characters that you have more focus on magic attacks. Items need to be individually equipped with characters in order to use them in battle. Each character has eight slots in their inventory: four for weapons, shields, and items and four for armor and accessories.

Screenshots:
49034463218_ebe069d4d3_h.jpg

49035185762_a944e13cef_h.jpg

49034463043_7442b49824_h.jpg

Videos:

Credits:

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
I really wanted to try this game because I love JRPG's and I have never played a SaGa but someone said if I love story games to stay away. Love to sprite work though and thanks for the OT!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I love this game, love the artwork, love the soundtrack. I'm definitely putting this on my wishlist.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I really wanted to try this game because I love JRPG's and I have never played a SaGa but someone said if I love story games to stay away. Love to sprite work though and thanks for the OT!

The thing with SaGa games is that the stories are normally okay (nothing offensive, pretty simple and decent) and the meat is in the (difficult) gameplay and branching paths (RS2 is generational, RS3 has multiple characters with different stories). I'd say the most accessible and newbie friendly SaGa game is SaGa Frontier.

Jooxed

Gold Member
The thing with SaGa games is that the stories are normally okay (nothing offensive, pretty simple and decent) and the meat is in the (difficult) gameplay and branching paths (RS2 is generational, RS3 has multiple characters with different stories). I'd say the most accessible and newbie friendly SaGa game is SaGa Frontier.

I love this game, love the artwork, love the soundtrack. I'm definitely putting this on my wishlist.

The way they made it seem to me is that there was pretty much no story present in the game. If there is something substantial to keep my interest id give ti a try!

ULTROS!

The way they made it seem to me is that there was pretty much no story present in the game. If there is something substantial to keep my interest id give ti a try!

Actually, the story of RS3 is decent since you get to use different characters and the path is kinda linear (from what I've experienced). It's just Romacing SaGa 2 has almost no story since it's a generational game with branching path (the story is basically defeat the 7 Heroes).

Jooxed

Gold Member
Actually, the story of RS3 is decent since you get to use different characters and the path is kinda linear (from what I've experienced). It's just Romacing SaGa 2 has almost no story since it's a generational game with branching path (the story is basically defeat the 7 Heroes).

Thank you, I will give it a shot

Pallas

Can the characters still experience permanent-death as well if their LP hits zero? I remember not being able to beat the last boss because one of my characters perma-died before facing it and was at the point that I couldn’t swap characters.

Great game though, music is fantastic.

Shifty1897

Really excited to pick this up. Was going to burn a leftover PTO day and play it today but I was behind at work. Maybe this weekend!

Bakkus

How does this game look on a 50+ inch TV? Wait, judging by those pics, have the graphics been smoothed out akin to Squeenix's work on their mobile ports?

Virex

Banned
Did someone just dumb the Japanese script into Google translate and decide the English text is good enough. It's really bad

ULTROS!

Urgh annoying. I bought it when it was 28.99, then it got discounted to $23

ULTROS!

So... how is it?

So far from what I've played, with a bit of grinding, the game is much easier than RSII. This game is like the beta, 2D version of SaGa Frontier. I'm on my way to the 4th Abyss Lord.

I think what's obscure af is how to recruit the other characters.

KiteGr

If I have to dig up emulators to even try the series, then I don't think it will be successful.
I did my research. It's one of those games that barely touched European shores, and when they did, it was with bad or dated instalments. There will be no fanbase here beyond the few of us who have done research.
It's based around the ridiculous for a Jrpg idea to allow the player to progress the adventure however he wants, but western Rpgs have been doing this for years.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I bought it because of the ot but haven’t had a chance to d dig in yet, looking forward to it

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I started as Thomas I went to the cave and came back to Lizard's mansion. I take it there's more than 1 way to finish the tutorial area. I'm spending a lot of time making my party more powerful. I do like how the leveling system works. You basically grind to improve individual stats like more SP, increased HP, or weapon upgrade. I also really like how new abilities are performed in combat. One thing I also gathered was that it allows you to basically do whatever you want. In my mind this game is the embodiment of an MMO in a single player form. My biggest gripe with Romancing Saga 2 was how you'd invest time into your current party and then the story changed to a new age. Outside of that the game looks really nice on mobile.

Last edited:

Pallas

By the way, they released a gacha based game that is a sequel to RS3. It takes place a few hundred years after the event and it has characters from across all the SaGa games.

It’s available on the App Store, and as far as gacha games go, the ost is fantastic and it’s pretty generous.

2Dai8zD.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom