• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Road House - Official Trailer | Prime Video

Little Mac

Gold Member
Episode 7 Nbc GIF by America's Got Talent

jason10mm

Gold Member
Fuck it.....I'M IN!

About halfway through I just accepted this clown world version of a treasured classic about humanity, warrior philosophy, kindness, and Kelly Lynch's SPECTACULAR rack and just went with it. Hopefully Liman can hold a camera a bit more steady these days. I'm afraid to ask if there is a Sam Elliot stand in and who they might cast for that.

Looks so cringe and terrible. And road house !!! A classic in every sense of the word. A film that no one was asking to be remade

Day 1 for me 👍😎😂

If you are called Dalton and you have a zen warrior philosophy on punching people for a living. You don’t need a first name 😁

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I own the original on VHS. After watching the trailer.... it looks.... O.K. I'm down to watch, but not in the theater.
I like Jake and Connor is..alright, I guess..lol.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It looks cool. Not like the original but ALL the women are pretty, the choreography looks good and I LOVE outdoor greenery!

Not the original but I'll give it a chance.

Billbofet

I am down for this. Looks a bit over the top, but I love Jake, and the female bar owner in this was my favorite character on Shrinking next to Harrison Ford.
Plus, it's not like OG Roadhouse is frickin' Kubrick - it was this exact thing, but in the 80's.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Doug Liman is publicly protesting that this is going straight to streaming instead of getting a theatrical release as he was promised.

"
When Road House opens the SXSW film festival, I won’t be attending. The movie is fantastic, maybe my best, and I’m sure it will bring the house down and possibly have the audience dancing in their seats during the end credits. But I will not be there.

My plan had been to silently protest Amazon’s decision to stream a movie so clearly made for the big screen. But Amazon is hurting way more than just me and my film. If I don’t speak up about Amazon, who will? So here we go.

When Amazon bought MGM, one of the few remaining studios making big commercial films for theatrical release (movies like Bond, Creed) they announced that they would put a billion dollars into theatrical motion pictures, releasing at least 12 a year. They touted it as “the largest commitment to cinemas by an internet company.” I can tell you what they then did to me and my film Road House, which is the opposite of what they promised when they took over MGM.

The facts: I signed up to make a theatrical motion picture for MGM. Amazon bought MGM. Amazon said make a great film and we will see what happens. I made a great film.

We made Road House a “smash hit” – Amazon’s words not mine, btw. Road House tested higher than my biggest box office hit, Mr. and Mrs Smith. It tested higher than Bourne Identity, which spawned four sequels. I’m told the press response has been Amazon’s best since they bought MGM. Road House has a strong tie-in to the UFC, which has a rabid and loyal fan base that has spawned over 1.5 billion social media impressions for the film, and marketing hasn’t even started yet. The action is ground-breaking. And Jake Gyllenhaal gives a career-defining performance in a role he was born to play. Audiences will want to see UFC mega-star Conor McGregor take his debut swing at Jake on the big screen. The reality is there’s nothing quite so fun as a good bar fight.

What else could I have delivered to the studio? Nothing, it turns out. Because contrary to their public statements, Amazon has no interest in supporting cinemas. Amazon will exclusively stream Road House on Amazon’s Prime. Amazon asked me and the film community to trust them and their public statements about supporting cinemas, and then they turned around and are using Road House to sell plumbing fixtures.

That hurts the filmmakers and stars of Road House who don’t share in the upside of a hit movie on a streaming platform. And they deprive Jake Gyllenhaal — who gives a career-best performance — the opportunity to be recognized come award season. But the impact goes far beyond this one movie. This could be industry shaping for decades to come.

If we don’t put tentpole movies in movie theaters, there won’t be movie theaters in the future. Movies like Road House, people actually want to see on the big screen, and it was made for the big screen. Without movie theaters, we won’t have the commercial box office hits that are the locomotives that allow studios to take gambles on original movies and new directors. Without movie theaters we won’t have movie stars.

Film executives are also at risk. Box office revenues are the war chests that allow studios the resources to make movies. It’s no surprise you see layoffs across the industry including at Amazon – without movies in theaters, there’s no revenue coming in. And once the theaters go out of business, it could take decades for the business to recover, if ever.

At the height of the pandemic there was a real possibility that movie theaters would not recover. We got comfortable watching movies at home. But then a remarkable thing happened when restrictions lifted. We started going back to the movie theater.

The fact that we still have movie theaters after the global pandemic didn’t happen by accident. It happened because brave filmmakers like Chris Nolan and Tom Cruise insisted their movies play in the theater, and they proved audiences are still there. They proved that despite everything, we still enjoy gathering and sharing in the communal experience of watching a film together. People love going to the movies, despite the convenience of streaming. They are not mutually exclusive. In fact, data shows that movies do better on streaming if they have been released theatrically first.

I’m not opposed to streaming movies. I made one of Amazon’s first original movies for streaming, and during the pandemic sold a streaming movie to Warner Bros. I’m currently making Instigators for Apple. But I am opposed to Amazon gutting MGM and its theatrical business, as I would have been had Jeff Bezos bought the Washington Post and then gutted its newsroom (he did the opposite).

I like the Amazon film execs and believe they are good people who are trying to do their best. They have a lifetime of experience making and releasing films in theaters. We tried everything to convince them to put Road House in theaters – they know all the arguments I presented here. I even asked them to allow me to sell Road House to another studio that would put it in theaters – they said no. Maybe they are victims in this as well, forced to betray the artists they spent their careers supporting.

The reality is there may not be a human villain in this story – it may simply be an Amazon computer algorithm. Amazon will sell more toasters if it has more subscribers; it will have more subscribers if it doesn’t have to compete with movie theaters. A computer could come up with that elegant solution as easily as it could solve global warming by killing all humans.

But a computer doesn’t know what it is like to share the experience of laughing and cheering and crying with a packed audience in a dark theater – and if Amazon has its way, future audiences won’t know either.
"

personally, I love the original for all it's cheesiness that simply won't work now-a-days. but that being said, I'm still down to give this one a try. I like Gyllenhaal and this seems like about as good as you can ask for in terms of a remake for the movie.

Hrk69

I'm only here for Conor

The trailer was fooking bad

Imagine using Gyllenhaal with short hair lmfao

Last edited:

I_D

Eh, looks like stupid fun. Streaming seems like the proper fit, as opposed to a theater-release.
Either way, I'll watch it just to see McGregor inevitably lose to Gyllenhaal, which is a hilarious thought.
Gyllenhaal is a legitimately-good actor, so it'll be interesting to see him next to McGregor.

But, damn, that boat explosion at ~2:19 was downright comical. Hopefully that's pre-final effects.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This movie probably would not have done well in theaters but I guess we’ll never know.

I have some empathy for Doug Liman but also think directors could chill out on caring so much about their projects reaching theaters. It’s an absolute blood bath out there right now and incredibly unpredictable what will hit and what won’t. A streaming hit can buy you your next passion project also.

Movies are only in theaters for a couple months at best then live on mostly being seen in other formats anyways. Great films aren’t great because of how they play in theaters.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's weird to say this looks bad, because Road House was always wonderfully bad, but this still seems to get it wrong. It's too... Michael Bay or Fast and the Furious or whatever.

Wouldn’t pay to see in theaters but will watch at home. Sorry, Doug. It’s a remake that no one really asked for, but here we go again. Are we gonna be treated to Robocop, Total Recall, and Conan remakes too?!…Oh Wait.. 😄

Hope it’s good but you never know.

*Nightwing

I had no interest at all in watching the guilty pleasure shit of my childhood exploited poorly
Doug Liman is publicly protesting that this is going straight to streaming instead of getting a theatrical release as he was promised.

"
When Road House opens the SXSW film festival, I won’t be attending. The movie is fantastic, maybe my best, and I’m sure it will bring the house down and possibly have the audience dancing in their seats during the end credits. But I will not be there.

My plan had been to silently protest Amazon’s decision to stream a movie so clearly made for the big screen. But Amazon is hurting way more than just me and my film. If I don’t speak up about Amazon, who will? So here we go.

When Amazon bought MGM, one of the few remaining studios making big commercial films for theatrical release (movies like Bond, Creed) they announced that they would put a billion dollars into theatrical motion pictures, releasing at least 12 a year. They touted it as “the largest commitment to cinemas by an internet company.” I can tell you what they then did to me and my film Road House, which is the opposite of what they promised when they took over MGM.

The facts: I signed up to make a theatrical motion picture for MGM. Amazon bought MGM. Amazon said make a great film and we will see what happens. I made a great film.

We made Road House a “smash hit” – Amazon’s words not mine, btw. Road House tested higher than my biggest box office hit, Mr. and Mrs Smith. It tested higher than Bourne Identity, which spawned four sequels. I’m told the press response has been Amazon’s best since they bought MGM. Road House has a strong tie-in to the UFC, which has a rabid and loyal fan base that has spawned over 1.5 billion social media impressions for the film, and marketing hasn’t even started yet. The action is ground-breaking. And Jake Gyllenhaal gives a career-defining performance in a role he was born to play. Audiences will want to see UFC mega-star Conor McGregor take his debut swing at Jake on the big screen. The reality is there’s nothing quite so fun as a good bar fight.

What else could I have delivered to the studio? Nothing, it turns out. Because contrary to their public statements, Amazon has no interest in supporting cinemas. Amazon will exclusively stream Road House on Amazon’s Prime. Amazon asked me and the film community to trust them and their public statements about supporting cinemas, and then they turned around and are using Road House to sell plumbing fixtures.

That hurts the filmmakers and stars of Road House who don’t share in the upside of a hit movie on a streaming platform. And they deprive Jake Gyllenhaal — who gives a career-best performance — the opportunity to be recognized come award season. But the impact goes far beyond this one movie. This could be industry shaping for decades to come.

If we don’t put tentpole movies in movie theaters, there won’t be movie theaters in the future. Movies like Road House, people actually want to see on the big screen, and it was made for the big screen. Without movie theaters, we won’t have the commercial box office hits that are the locomotives that allow studios to take gambles on original movies and new directors. Without movie theaters we won’t have movie stars.

Film executives are also at risk. Box office revenues are the war chests that allow studios the resources to make movies. It’s no surprise you see layoffs across the industry including at Amazon – without movies in theaters, there’s no revenue coming in. And once the theaters go out of business, it could take decades for the business to recover, if ever.

At the height of the pandemic there was a real possibility that movie theaters would not recover. We got comfortable watching movies at home. But then a remarkable thing happened when restrictions lifted. We started going back to the movie theater.

The fact that we still have movie theaters after the global pandemic didn’t happen by accident. It happened because brave filmmakers like Chris Nolan and Tom Cruise insisted their movies play in the theater, and they proved audiences are still there. They proved that despite everything, we still enjoy gathering and sharing in the communal experience of watching a film together. People love going to the movies, despite the convenience of streaming. They are not mutually exclusive. In fact, data shows that movies do better on streaming if they have been released theatrically first.

I’m not opposed to streaming movies. I made one of Amazon’s first original movies for streaming, and during the pandemic sold a streaming movie to Warner Bros. I’m currently making Instigators for Apple. But I am opposed to Amazon gutting MGM and its theatrical business, as I would have been had Jeff Bezos bought the Washington Post and then gutted its newsroom (he did the opposite).

I like the Amazon film execs and believe they are good people who are trying to do their best. They have a lifetime of experience making and releasing films in theaters. We tried everything to convince them to put Road House in theaters – they know all the arguments I presented here. I even asked them to allow me to sell Road House to another studio that would put it in theaters – they said no. Maybe they are victims in this as well, forced to betray the artists they spent their careers supporting.

The reality is there may not be a human villain in this story – it may simply be an Amazon computer algorithm. Amazon will sell more toasters if it has more subscribers; it will have more subscribers if it doesn’t have to compete with movie theaters. A computer could come up with that elegant solution as easily as it could solve global warming by killing all humans.

But a computer doesn’t know what it is like to share the experience of laughing and cheering and crying with a packed audience in a dark theater – and if Amazon has its way, future audiences won’t know either.
"
…but as the average American retard that is the same target audience for this, the reverse psychology marketing campaign is working on me and I’m totally down to watch it on Prime!!!

jason10mm

Gold Member
We don't need to remake movies that were good the first time around.
I AGREE!!!

What we really need are remakes of Hell comes to Frog Town, Wraith, Steel Justice (if we are gonna look at Swayze's back catalogue), The Wizard (come on Nintendo, feature that Switch Pro!!), Remo Williams (the Adventure Continues!!), Treasure of the Four Crowns (still in 3d, 'natch), and some GODDAMMED MEGAFORCE!!!!

4aDf0Pp.jpg
Z1Sq9d8.jpg

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I don’t really give a shit about the “remake” aspect. It’ll be a different film with some callbacks probably at best and that doesn’t “ruin” anything for me.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
You know what? That actually looks pretty decent.

It could be one of the rare cases in film where the remake is better than the original.

Raven117

Don’t know what’s supposed to be bad about the original tbh. It’s a taut, fun action movie with memorable characters and great one liners, eminently rewatchable. Swayze kills it as Dalton. It was always awesome in my book!
I have it in the same camp as the original point break. Perhaps “campy” is a better description.

Either way, Roadhouse is awesome!

Top Bottom