• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Acolyte premieres June 4th on Disney+

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Why does this guy look like Todd Howard and Bobby Kotick had a baby?

53597663231_8378df370b_c.jpg

53596795487_9677ff1184_c.jpg

8bitpill

He is 52 and she is 26, how far back in his past can she be? Was she a deadly toddler?
From that description that was posted, I looked the names up and this was the first thing I thought.

Could they not respect an older woman for the roll. I know asian's have the fountain of youth in their blood and at times don't look elderly till they hit their 80's, but 52 to 26 is a generational age gap. I'm guessing it will be his apprentice even though the vague description explains it like a warrior from his past.

Disney just fucking Star Wars into mainstream submission
GATR.gif

Gen Z is just getting the Star Wars Christmas Special with that 2020's shine and shoe horned ideologies
2W.gif

Billbofet

It's sad for me to realize I feel absolutely nothing when I see a trailer for anything Star Wars over the past 7 years.
This is no exception. It looks like the fan-made shit that was on youtube a decade ago but made for a modern audience that won't watch it.

Madflavor

I’m old enough to remember when the ignition of a lightsaber used to get people’s dicks hard. It’s amazing how watered down Star Wars has become.

Nothing special about it. It’s just another average franchise now.

jason10mm

Gold Member
From that description that was posted, I looked the names up and this was the first thing I thought.

Could they not respect an older woman for the roll. I know asian's have the fountain of youth in their blood and at times don't look elderly till they hit their 80's, but 52 to 26 is a generational age gap. I'm guessing it will be his apprentice even though the vague description explains it like a warrior from his past.

GATR.gif

Gen Z is just getting the Star Wars Christmas Special with that 2020's shine and shoe horned ideologies
2W.gif
Seeing the trailer I'm guessing "red-dred" is the padawan that says "fire", indicating she was prone to dark side shenanigans, gets kicked out, and comes back with her bad self after ascending Mt Doom and getting mad skilz, yo.

But yes, the obsession nu-LucasArts has with casting young women to be baddies just astounds me. Lucas seemed pretty careful to ALWAYS make his bad guys monstrous, malformed, or alien so the actor didn't have to put on "constipation face" to pretend to be mean. Vader, pumpkin head Palpatine, Maul, Jabba, Grevious. About his only "normal" bad guy was fucking CHRISTOPHER LEE and that guy was A. a legit killer of men and B. an actor with an unmatched pedigree. Even Hayden couldn't really pull off the conversion of Anakin to the dark side very well until recently now that he has age and wisdom on his side. Even Adam Driver seemed more petulant and whiney as Kylo than threatening and sinister. Ray Stevenson did it, but he is much closer to Lee in many aspects and really never was much of a moustache twirling baddie in the first place.

thefool

Beyond all of that that doesn't even need to be addressed, it looks like dogshit and that's the real issue with Disney Wars.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Makeup is expensive.
More like "diversity MUST be SEEN in order for me to be able to receive virtue signaling golf claps about it!"

I'm ok with most of the casting from what we can tell. I don't need tons of white dudes in Star Wars so long as they suddenly don't make a grand appearance ONLY as space nazis. The OT is full of white men because it was primarily filmed in a place filled with....white men, not because it was organic to the universe. What I care about are strong, good MALE characters. I still don't think Lucasarts is ever gonna make Star Wars appeal to many girls but damn they keep on trying and trying. Is Andor what they think a "male focused" show is? Or Mandalorian past maybe season 1? Anyway, they seem committed to chasing those XX dollars but I just don't see girls buying merch or turning out to see a buncha folks get lightsaber shish-kabobed.

NickFire

June 4th instead of May 4th is a missed opportunity IMO.

Anyway, I hope the "modern audience" they prefer really enjoys this. I won't be able to tune in when it releases because I have a long day of scratching my balls planned already. But I look forward to hearing the reviews from my wife and her friends during pool parties this summer. Nothing tickles their fancy like a show with light swords from a director of this caliber. I do wish they released this before my last Disney trip though. I'm certain that my wife would have agreed buying light sword replicas was a wise investment if she had already seen this show.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
More like "diversity MUST be SEEN in order for me to be able to receive virtue signaling golf claps about it!"

I'm ok with most of the casting from what we can tell. I don't need tons of white dudes in Star Wars so long as they suddenly don't make a grand appearance ONLY as space nazis. The OT is full of white men because it was primarily filmed in a place filled with....white men, not because it was organic to the universe. What I care about are strong, good MALE characters. I still don't think Lucasarts is ever gonna make Star Wars appeal to many girls but damn they keep on trying and trying. Is Andor what they think a "male focused" show is? Or Mandalorian past maybe season 1? Anyway, they seem committed to chasing those XX dollars but I just don't see girls buying merch or turning out to see a buncha folks get lightsaber shish-kabobed.
The one white dude in the trailer is referred to as "convict" by the captions. Is that what you mean?

Fbh

Looks slightly more interesting than their other recent stuff simply because it's not tied to the OT. Having something that doesn't need to tie to Luke, Darth Vader or the Empire for a change is good.

I'm calling it now, Red Dreads gets a redemption arc and comes back to the light......

100%

Toons

He is 52 and she is 26, how far back in his past can she be? Was she a deadly toddler?

This franchise has a metric ton of characters who have students half their age or younger....

Anyways trailer looks neat. Doesnt give away much plot but thats to be expected. I love the costume design and cool to see a ton of jedi around in their prime.

That shot with the group of jedi is very cool, something you dont see often in the saga films due to how few there are in most of them.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This franchise has a metric ton of characters who have students half their age or younger....

Anyways trailer looks neat. Doesnt give away much plot but thats to be expected. I love the costume design and cool to see a ton of jedi around in their prime.

That shot with the group of jedi is very cool, something you dont see often in the saga films due to how few there are in most of them.
The plot blurb, if it's even accurate: "In The Acolyte, an investigation into a shocking crime spree pits a respected Jedi Master (Lee Jung-jae) against a dangerous warrior from his past (Amandla Stenberg). As more clues emerge, they travel down a dark path where sinister forces reveal all is not what it seems…."

Kinda implies something from more than just a few years earlier. Red-dred couldn't have been more than a teenager before noping out to the dark side with a description like that. Not a childhood friend, fellow padawan, or rival from his early years as a jedi. Hard to describe a teenaged girl as a "dangerous warrior" IMHO and if she only recently defected over, is she really "from his past"? Probably just hyperbolic writing but I'm gonna laugh if they are gonna try to pass this girl off as some sort of child prodigy who went bad as a padawan and scarred Master Miyagi as we.....already did that....like TWICE, three times already? Hell, the likelihood of red-dred pulling the EXACT same story beats as Reva from Obi-wan seems pretty high as well. Despite any optimism that this story will be fresh and new, it has all the hallmarks of being tired and exhausted before it even airs.

Toons

The plot blurb, if it's even accurate: "In The Acolyte, an investigation into a shocking crime spree pits a respected Jedi Master (Lee Jung-jae) against a dangerous warrior from his past (Amandla Stenberg). As more clues emerge, they travel down a dark path where sinister forces reveal all is not what it seems…."

Kinda implies something from more than just a few years earlier. Red-dred couldn't have been more than a teenager before noping out to the dark side with a description like that. Not a childhood friend, fellow padawan, or rival from his early years as a jedi. Hard to describe a teenaged girl as a "dangerous warrior" IMHO and if she only recently defected over, is she really "from his past"? Probably just hyperbolic writing but I'm gonna laugh if they are gonna try to pass this girl off as some sort of child prodigy who went bad as a padawan and scarred Master Miyagi as we.....already did that....like TWICE, three times already? Hell, the likelihood of red-dred pulling the EXACT same story beats as Reva from Obi-wan seems pretty high as well. Despite any optimism that this story will be fresh and new, it has all the hallmarks of being tired and exhausted before it even airs.

You're making a lot of assumptions. It says that the dangerous warrior has a past with the character not that he knew her as a dangerous warrior. She's clearly an adult, and if she was a Palawan, they are trained from childhood. Ahsoka was a dangerous warrior bu the time she was 14 years old lol.

As far as bad Padawan stories go, we have gotten a lot of those so I'm hoping its something different but its also pretty much an ingrained story elements of star wars present in every era. The conflict between master and student goes pretty deep.

Jyn erso could be described as a "dangerous warrior" from saw gerreras past also, but that wasn't so much a master and student thing. It could be a victim of something the jedi did, maybe to her parents, go could either way but im not gonna write it off without more info.

clarky

Gold Member
Wow, that looked like actual dogshit.

Disney have done the seemingly impossible and managed to fit everything wrong with current Star wars into one handy trailer.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

i mean it looks exactly how i expected, a big pile of steaming shit.

not a chance this does even remotely ok.

also so much for this taking place in a different era near the end of the high republic and all that nonsense, it looks like the same fucking shit they've been spewing out for ever now.

Star wars is shit... long live the real OG sci-fi IP Dune!

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
You're making a lot of assumptions. It says that the dangerous warrior has a past with the character not that he knew her as a dangerous warrior. She's clearly an adult, and if she was a Palawan, they are trained from childhood. Ahsoka was a dangerous warrior bu the time she was 14 years old lol.
True, good point. But still, this trailer at least is heavily implying its ANOTHER "student gone bad" story, of which we have had SO MANY from Star Wars. This is like peak jedi fatigue, I can't even get excited by a room full of lightsabers at this point. They are gonna need to invent light-nunchucks, light-spears, light-shuriken, fucking light-three-section-staff or SOMETHING to spark my interest. There is no novelty, originality, or surprise in watching ANOTHER cluster of semi-clueless jedi blunder their way into realizing that Sith are....surprise!!!...a thing. If this was more YA focused I could probably just watch it casually for a bit of fan service easter egg stuff but this seems like it wants to be "taken seriously I say in my big adult voice!" yet NOTHING in that damned trailer, as competently assembled as it was, evokes ANY THING new. Hooded stranger walks up to...gasp...CAM in a bar? Done it. Younglins in a room being lectured...done it. Spinny lightsaber throw...done it. Force holding and force pushing as your feet slide backwards....yawn, seen it. Only the bit of wushu is maybe new and you know that shit isn't gonna come to much. Is the choreography on this gonna blow me away? Unlikely. After Ahsoka I've little faith that these TV shows have the time for that stuff in the way Warrior does, nor is the casting lilely to result in naturally able actors doing their own stunts. About all we need is another scene showing aliens speaking in bad british accents and the modern stlye of Star Wars will be complete.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

GATR.gif

2W.gif

Bro, you're talking about saiyans not Asians.

Neon Xenon

Well...it doesn't instantly look like garbage. I can give it that.

At the moment, though, I'm not really interested in The Acolyte. I'm more looking forward to going back and checking out older Star Wars media that I missed out on, like KOTOR.

Got a chuckle out of this comment on the trailer.

FUpsPZB.png

Seriously what is this trailer is woke?

I now ill get blowback for this but cmon yall. Literally no message being presented in this trailer, there are both male and female characters. How does THIS pass the threshold of woke?
You're not alone on that. I'm so fucking bored of reading and hearing this word nearly everywhere now.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
The only thing I can hope for is that everyone dies at the end so we don't get any more sequels.

This looks so awful and like it learned nothing from the constant slacktivism of the last 10 years of Star Wars.

Someone, anyone, take this shit away from Disney.

DKehoe

It's sad that this has become a detail that automatically piques my interest.

IIRC, Andor has been the only live-action SW show to make minimal use of it and the results were so refreshing.
Spielberg used it for The Fabelmans and it didn’t distract from the film. So it seems that it comes down to how it’s implemented.

Toons

Well...it doesn't instantly look like garbage. I can give it that.

At the moment, though, I'm not really interested in The Acolyte. I'm more looking forward to going back and checking out older Star Wars media that I missed out on, like KOTOR.

Got a chuckle out of this comment on the trailer.

FUpsPZB.png

You're not alone on that. I'm so fucking bored of reading and hearing this word nearly everywhere now.

On a side note the comment section seems to be getting brigaded by some AI thing...? Or something but its some wierd code people keep posting. No idea whats its abouy

Top Bottom