• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

River, The Dog Behind Fallout 4 Dogmeat, Has Passed Away

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Joel Burgess, a developer on various Fallout titles, announced the heartbreaking news on Twitter. However, instead of using the moment to eulogize her, he instead opted for a deeper look into how River had such a great impact on the world of Fallout 4.

HOW DID RIVER INSPIRE DOGMEAT IN FALLOUT 4?​

River was the real-life German Sheppard that inspired the in-game companion, Dogmeat. As noted by Burgess, Dogmeat was a companion first and an ally in combat second.

In Burgess’ Twitter thread, he details how the developers searched through various “professional” dogs until River started visiting the Bethesda studio. The team then began forming a special bond with the adorable German Sheppard.

River quickly became part of the Fallout team and was even awarded ‘Best Dog’ for her model work as Dogmeat. Many fans will of course notice that River and Dogmeat are identical, even in terms of fur markings and facial expressions.

She wasn’t just the model though, River was even in the studio doing a lot of the sounds for Dogmeat.

Small details of River were also incorporated into the game. Burgess notes how he would take long walks with River, and although she’d trot ahead, she would always turn around and check back in on him. Something that was then added into the character of Dogmeat.

Was my companion in Fallout 4:messenger_loudly_crying:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Joel Burgess, a developer on various Fallout titles, announced the heartbreaking news on Twitter. However, instead of using the moment to eulogize her, he instead opted for a deeper look into how River had such a great impact on the world of Fallout 4.

HOW DID RIVER INSPIRE DOGMEAT IN FALLOUT 4?​

River was the real-life German Sheppard that inspired the in-game companion, Dogmeat. As noted by Burgess, Dogmeat was a companion first and an ally in combat second.

In Burgess’ Twitter thread, he details how the developers searched through various “professional” dogs until River started visiting the Bethesda studio. The team then began forming a special bond with the adorable German Sheppard.

River quickly became part of the Fallout team and was even awarded ‘Best Dog’ for her model work as Dogmeat. Many fans will of course notice that River and Dogmeat are identical, even in terms of fur markings and facial expressions.

She wasn’t just the model though, River was even in the studio doing a lot of the sounds for Dogmeat.

Small details of River were also incorporated into the game. Burgess notes how he would take long walks with River, and although she’d trot ahead, she would always turn around and check back in on him. Something that was then added into the character of Dogmeat.

Was my companion in Fallout 4:messenger_loudly_crying:

Pobrecito 😢

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I always play on the hardest difficulty so I don't take Dogmeat with me, I'm too afraid of him dying. I lost him once in Fallout 3 and there was no way I was going to play on without Dogmeat, so I had to go way back to a previous save to where he was still alive. From then on I stashed him somewhere safe and would come back frequently to visit and tell him he's a good boy.

I love Dogmeat and River is such a beautiful girl, this is so sad for them Dogmeat team. Rest in Peace River, you're a good girl.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Sad Rupert Grint GIF by Apple TV

sucks GIF

Top Bottom