• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise and Fall Of Dead Space

Lastyou1

Banned
And the EA folks wonder why they get so much hate...

They bought and destroyed with their blind and greedy management several great studios and great IPs, just to push their cash grab, multiplayer focused, DLCs ridden games.

Dead Space was the most known victim.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i loved 1 2 and 3 the gun game on switch ( the remake on ps3) and the mobile phone game.
still sad they killed the game

pawel86ck

Banned
I have played dead space 1-3 for a first time not so long time ago, and all of them are equally amazing games. First Dead Space has slow start and because I saw necromorphs for the first time I was scared the most, but later on game is action packed exactly like DS2 and DS3. But DS2 and DS3 are also scary games and it was still like playing the same game. I liked changes in DS3, more varied locations, weapons customization, one ammo type, better shooting mechanics (I have played xbox version, and aiming in dead space 3 is easily the best), not to mention amazing music and improved graphics. Someone told me on YT comments sections in regards to DS3 hate it's whining fans who destroyed Dead Space developer, and I agree because game was very good. Few people here say they liked DS1 and DS2, but never played DS3 because of hateful comments in regards to COP and microtransations, but you can still progress in the game without COP player, or being forced to buy anything, and if you know how to build a good weapon, your weapons will be overpowered anyway and one shoot will kill the most necromorphs. I hope to see dead space 4 in the future, because I dont like cliffhanger endings.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Didn't play any of the games, but it was definitely entertaining watching the playthroughs of the games (Wii version as well), as well as the various animated shorts....its a mystery why there hasn't been any further instalments....

Last edited:

Lokimaru

I have played dead space 1-3 for a first time not so long time ago, and all of them are equally amazing games. First Dead Space has slow start and because I saw necromorphs for the first time I was scared the most, but later on game is action packed exactly like DS2 and DS3. But DS2 and DS3 are also scary games and it was still like playing the same game. I liked changes in DS3, more varied locations, weapons customization, one ammo type, better shooting mechanics (I have played xbox version, and aiming in dead space 3 is easily the best), not to mention amazing music and improved graphics. Someone told me on YT comments sections in regards to DS3 hate it's whining fans who destroyed Dead Space developer, and I agree because game was very good. Few people here say they liked DS1 and DS2, but never played DS3 because of hateful comments in regards to COP and microtransations, but you can still progress in the game without COP player, or being forced to buy anything, and if you know how to build a good weapon, your weapons will be overpowered anyway and one shoot will kill the most necromorphs. I hope to see dead space 4 in the future, because I dont like cliffhanger endings.

The Reason Aiming was Poor is because you were using basically using Power Tools as Improvised Projectile Weapons. EA forgot the Rules Gaming The Third Game always reference the First in Style with all the upgrades in Gameplay of the Second game IE the Game must come full circle. All the best Game series do this. If they wanted two protagonists in the third game they should have given them two separate story arcs that overlapped RE2 style. Issac doing Engineer Shit and the Soldier guy doing Soldier shit.

HeresJohnny

Loved Dead Space. Thought Dead Space 2 was ok. Avoided Dead Space 3: Dudebros in Space. Never played Dead Space on Wii.

I absolutely loved this series but like most fans got upset how EA pretty much tried to milked the hell out of the series. I loved the first two and ignored all the other "side games" Getting excited for DS3 it launched with massive hate from alot of fans.

In the end I never ended up playing Dead Space 3 and still haven't to this day
Same I loved the first two

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The first DS was amazing. Replayed it on PC this year and it lost nothing of it's charm.

DS2 was a bit so so... Great game for large parts but they really botched the ending. The enemies spawn in the final sections of the games were frustrating as hell. Left a sour taste in my mouth when I finsiehd because the rest of the game is really good (although way to linear as opposed to the Metroid-vania feel the first DS had).

DS3 starts out quite nice but holy shit does it drop fast - and deep. Remember finishing it and then being like... what the fuck was this?

Have very fond memories of Extraction, which I finished back on the PS3 with the controller. Plan to rebuy it in the near future for the Wii but can't find it for a solid price. Used copies of the game are way to expensive...

Orpheum

Dead Space 2 is still one of my favorite games of last gen. It's really a shame what EA did to the 3rd entry. I still enjoyed it quite a bit but i wouldn't really consider it a "Dead Space" experience. still a revival of the series would get me hyped up and the first game i would buy from EA in a loooong time

...although they would somehow fuck it up completely...it's EA after all

nkarafo

DS2 was a bit so so... Great game for large parts but they really botched the ending. The enemies spawn in the final sections of the games were frustrating as hell. Left a sour taste in my mouth when I finsiehd because the rest of the game is really good (although way to linear as opposed to the Metroid-vania feel the first DS had).
I don't remember the first game having any kind of Metroidvania feel.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I don't remember the first game having any kind of Metroidvania feel.
It's quite linear at the end of the day but you do end up re-visiting a lot of the sections that then have changed and more rooms/different paths available. DS2 in contrast is just a straight line so to speak.

nkarafo

It's quite linear at the end of the day but you do end up re-visiting a lot of the sections that then have changed and more rooms/different paths available. DS2 in contrast is just a straight line so to speak.
I got what you are saying. Yeah, in DS1 you revisit older areas more, but you are led to them "automatically" as the linear path leads you there anyway, While in Metroid/Metroidvania games you have to figure it out yourself plus there are also optional backtracking paths just for items, to mix things up.

Last edited:

Mochilador

Gonna watch it later. Dead Space 1 was pretty damn good. The beginning of the game where you have to run from the enemies and reach an elevator was fucking tense.

mcz117chief

It wasn’t immortal armor. Do you remember the six million ways to die (choose one) that Issac can be killed?
It is immortal armour, on my first playthrough I haven't died once to monster attacks (only died once to test something in the environment).

I think people like to hate just for hate's sake.
I loved DS3 and never paid a dime for any microtransactions.

Yup, same. All three games are pretty good. The biggest problem I had with the third game is how it was pretty much the same as the previous ones, barely any innovation. Really liked the first part where you fly around the ship graveyard.

I also really enjoyed the movies, the absolutely amazing animated comic book and the side games. The animated comic book is especially good. It got me hyped for Dead Space 1 to obscene proportions and I couldn't wait for all the callbacks to it (there were only 2). Still one of the best side media projects for a video game ever. I watch it every once in a while, I even used it in my RPG I played with my bros. A dungeon where they found pieces on Newman's recordings and encounters. It was hell of a lot of work but it worked perfectly.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
The Reason Aiming was Poor is because you were using basically using Power Tools as Improvised Projectile Weapons. EA forgot the Rules Gaming The Third Game always reference the First in Style with all the upgrades in Gameplay of the Second game IE the Game must come full circle. All the best Game series do this. If they wanted two protagonists in the third game they should have given them two separate story arcs that overlapped RE2 style. Issac doing Engineer Shit and the Soldier guy doing Soldier shit.
I'm talking about thumbstick sensitivity. DS1 thumbstick settings was very bad compared to DS3, large dead zone made aiming much harder than in DS2 and DS3 especially. But still I have enjoyed DS1 regardless of that dead zone issue, shooting was slow but fun.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The same reason why I stop playing Assassins Creed. They lost the original narrative on what made the I.P. good. But unlike Ubisoft, they couldn't find the fun after that.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
But WOW! Was that a great video! I'm subscribing. I love the flow of the video and the guy's voice is smooth.

Froschi

I just loved the first Dead Space - it not only reminded me of "BioForge", one of my all-time favourites, but also was a great, very atmosphere-rich game in itself.

The second game was alright, I guess, but somehow it just didn't tickle me the same way anymore. And the third one was a micropayment-riddled mess, that I stopped playing after two hours and never intend to touch again. The series had all the potential in the world, and was, as is seemingly the norm with EA products, ruined by greed.

What a shame. :messenger_crying:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Dead Space 3 is worth playing, it's not that bad. Dead Space: Extraction on the Wii is WELL worth playing, I thought it was excellent.

That being said, RIP Dead Space. You deserved better.

P.S. Fuck EA.
Reppin’ Extraction as well. Good story and one of the more unique on-rails shooters I’ve ever played. They should port it to the Switch now that Nintendo has motion controls back front and center.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Dead Space 1 was great. I really should go back and play that again. Never got around to playing the second game, and had no interest in the 3rd game. Wish DS2 would get a GOG release -- the first game did. It's about time, I'd think.

dirthead

Banned
A general rule of thumb is that you shouldn't make numbered sequels to games until enough time has passed where you can make a game that's an obvious technical leap forward.

The problem with crap like the Dead Space sequels is that they were just more of the same on the same generation of consoles. Of course people were going to get sick of it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
A general rule of thumb is that you shouldn't make numbered sequels to games until enough time has passed where you can make a game that's an obvious technical leap forward.

The problem with crap like the Dead Space sequels is that they were just more of the same on the same generation of consoles. Of course people were going to get sick of it.
The problem with the 3rd game that it was nothing like first 2 games, it was trying to be more an action game for wider appeal and that not what I wanted from Dead Space series, If I wanted action there are much better choices out there but at that time there was nothing like original Dead Space series. To me original game was the proper spiritual successor to RE4 more than RE5 was.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
If i was EA... I will launch Dead Space trilogy in Nintendo Switch and The other consoles.

And with the money make a Dead Space 4 with single or Coop Player but with the origins of Horror.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Hey everyone, due to a copyright issue with one of the songs in the original of this video uploaded on the (20th of November in 2018), we're forced to go back to the drawing board and re-edit it. We're happy to bring you back The Rise and Fall of Dead Space!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I hope for a different type of EA if they ever decide to make another one. Toning down the amount of gore/horror was a huge mistake with Dead Space 3. They said fans complained about it, but here I was thinking that its horror/gore set it apart from other games. They weren't exactly remaking the game in 3. They also left the series on a cliffhanger. What exactly happened after the DLC to 3? The Awakened DLC definitely set it up for part 4. It's like beating a dead horse whenever we beg for some console ports of these games.

Top Bottom