• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise and Fall Of Dead Space

nani17

are in a big trouble

I absolutely loved this series but like most fans got upset how EA pretty much tried to milked the hell out of the series. I loved the first two and ignored all the other "side games" Getting excited for DS3 it launched with massive hate from alot of fans.

In the end I never ended up playing Dead Space 3 and still haven't to this day

Last edited:
I just played 2 for the first time this year, I really dug it. I've heard conflicting things about 3 though so don't know if I'll check that one out.

I actually think EA could revive this one day. It does have a decent sized fan base and horror games in general are few and far in between. Launching it in an uncrowded release window could potentially get the series back on track.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Dead Space 3 gets such an unfair amount of stick. Its the weakest game in the trilogy, but its hardly a disaster. The abuse over the dlc / mtx was massively overblown at the time, making it sound like it was a "pay-to-win" type of deal, when in reality you didn't ever need to buy anything.

GreenAlien

I remember DS1 one most for killing my first computers graphics card. I think it was overheating... never bought a pre-build one again.

I also never finished that game because i was too afraid of something similar happening :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

nowhat

Dead Space: Extraction on the Wii is WELL worth playing, I thought it was excellent.
Seconded, it was fantastic. Which is why I still cannot comprehend why there isn't a VR port, that would be such an obvious fit.

(yes, I have lamented about this before, and will continue to do so until that is a thing)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I LOVED both Dead Space 1&2 and I absolutely HATED the 3rd game. I especially hate that they turn Isaac in to jealous boyfriend crap.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
:messenger_loudly_crying: It sucks about what happened. I loved this series. I have fond memories of getting the small art book at the mall when I went to pick up my preorder for the original. I loved the atmosphere and the way Isaac controlled. I loved the zero g feeling and the way items were placed around the map.

The story was pretty good. I enjoyed how it was a layman's job caught in this mess. I still keep wallpapers for Dead Space on my phone.

The sequel came out and I remember getting the game at midnight. I played that game all night and into the morning. Such an awesome game. I really enjoyed the flow of the game and all the wards/areas of the exploration.

I remember getting Dead Space on iOS and that was a lot of fun. It was playable too (just like Mass Effect on iOS), but sadly it became incompatible with newer iOS. I gladly paid for it too.

I remember Dead Space Extraction the most on PS3 because it came with the limited edition. I still play it with a controller.

Dead Space 3 was fun for a while, but EA wanted to tone down the horror for co-op which was stupid. The DLC to Dead Space 3 made me think they'd make a Dead Space 4. Since they went down the Mass Effect 3 dilemma.

Outside of Capcom and Konami, Dead Space's western take on horror in space is one of my favorites. Games like Prey do well with zero gravity and very campy tones. I just wish the series would have stayed around or at least had gotten an HD Remaster.

I even own the Art of Dead Space and the novels. Seeing other fans (like me) own statues and figures of Dead Space is very cool.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I play Dead Space 1 & 2 and are amazing.

Dead space 2 the train scene is so cinematographic and cool! I love such much the Sound FX of the Saga.. and my favorite part is the costume system reminds me to Iron Man but more amazing.

I think the only one worst is Dead space ignition, that is a real piece of shit, Dead space 3 i remember got it for PS Plus but i never play it.

Last edited:

1 and 2 were beyond amazing. 3 I’m towards the end and playing coop with my son. It’s certainly not the best but it has its moments.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Fab series, watch the animated movie Downfall if you are a fan, it ties so well into the games and IIRC has a number of elements from the first game.

Ds2 on pc maxxed out still looks amazing and keeps up with a lot of current gen games due to the fantastic art and mood portrayed in the game. If you haven't played the second game you do yourself a disservice, it's excellent and can be found for dirt cheap. Likely BC on xbone too.

xviper

one of the best new IPs of the last generation, it's a shame that the 3rd killed the whole franchise

nkarafo

Nothing unusual about the franchise's death. It had the same fate as many others that tried to reach a "wider audience". Same thing that almost happened with Metroid. Publishers need to realise that not all game concepts translate well to a wider audience.

Papa

Banned
Dead Space 1 was my favourite game last gen and I’m a huge pussy when it comes to scary games. I couldn’t even play Resident Evil 7. The quality of Dead Space was just so high that I pushed through it and loved it. I wasn’t so hot on the sequel though I still enjoyed it. I never played Extraction or 3 but would be thrilled if a new one was announced.

kyubajin

I loved the original Dead Space so much that after I got all the achievements on 360 and sold the console I repurchased it for PS3 and got the platinum trophy again.

DS2 was decent and more actiony, DS3 I don’t even remember playing it although I did.

dan76

I think Dead Space 1 was easily the best game of the series. I liked the fact that Issac never spoke, the silent protagonist. As the series went on he became more generic. The first game is an incredibly focused experience, taking the best stuff from films like Alien and The Thing. Also, the way zero gravity was handled was brilliant, they kind of mullered that in the second game. I also thought this was a better RE game than 5, even though the context was completely different.

2 was good, perhaps some of the levels were better than the first, but you know, more isn't always better.

3 was still ok, but some parts were just pants.

Would love a remastered trilogy. Some hope EA.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
I liked them, but that space-armor-suit took out all the horror from the games.

Bare skin/clothes + space ship + aliens = scary

Epic almost immortal armor+ship+aliens= not scary at all, as it does feel like nothing can touch you.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Loved the first and glad we got it at all from EA. There was a brief moment where they had that and Mirrors Edge.

Now they cancel single player star wars games.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Dead Space 1 is nearly flawless.
Dead Space 2 is when EA jumped straight "Resident Evil 4"-ifying the franchise i.e. they pour over way more story and character-interaction and ratchet up the number of action sequences. Still a good game, but the first one is still better.
Haven't played Dead Space 3.
Extraction is a great game.
I even played that interactive comic mini-game side-story (which wasn't that great).

nkarafo

Dead Space 2 is when EA jumped straight "Resident Evil 4"-ifying the franchise i.e. they pour over way more story and character-interaction and ratchet up the number of action sequences. Still a good game, but the first one is still better..
I kinda like the 2nd more. It's a bigger game with more diverse environments. Dead Space 1 got a bit boring after seeing the same looking room for the 100th time.

I agree that they added more action sequences and scripted set pieces to impress but even if you remove them all, you are still left with as much Dead Space 1 style content as the first game.

The only thing that bugs me about the second game is the dialog and extra characters. I prefer more isolation like in the first game.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I kinda like the 2nd more. It's a bigger game with more diverse environments. Dead Space 1 got a bit boring after seeing the same looking room for the 100th time.

I agree that they added more action sequences and scripted set pieces to impress but even if you remove them all, you are still left with as much Dead Space 1 style content as the first game.

The only thing that bugs me about the second game is the dialog and extra characters. I prefer more isolation like in the first game.
The bolded is the heart of why I prefer the first one. I agree the second one is more refined, has better gameplay mechanics (the time-slow and gravity gun are put to much better use), has a more sprawling world, etc. Both games are excellent. Can't speak for the third because I haven't played it.

Last edited:

Zewp

I must be one of the few who enjoyed the third for what it was. It wasn't bad, just different. Near the end there were some sequences that were just bullshit, though. It totally flooded you with enemies and got so frustrating that I ended up using a trainer to finish it.

DS1 and 2 were brilliant but 3 i only played for like 30 minutes and thought nope this isnt good. Hope one day we get a reboot thats back to the horrors of 1 and 2.......fuck 3.

I'm in the small segment that also really loved 3 - minus the ending and a couple other bits, I suppose.

I really love the whole series, and I would love to see it return, despite the improbability. Sci-fi horror / action-horror is sooooo good.

plushyp

Dead Space 2 is when EA jumped straight "Resident Evil 4"-ifying the franchise i.e. they pour over way more story and character-interaction and ratchet up the number of action sequences. Still a good game, but the first one is still better.
The bolded + refined gameplay is why I find DS2 to be the pinnacle of the series. DS1 was too sparse on the story and while I dug the isolation, the monsters were always telegraphed in it due to the level design. DS3 though.....

gioGAF

Thanks for posting this. I loved Dead Space 1 (where is the re-release!) and enjoyed Dead Space 2 (third game was trash, couldn't even finish it, the railroading into the mtx system was a disgrace).

Nymphae

Banned
DS1 is an all time horror classic that no one expected from a relatively unknown dev. I remember watching the 1up Show coverage before release and the vibe was like "guys, seriously, this might be really cool", but I think a lot of people were just like, yeah ok EA.

Breakage

I'm gonna give this a watch later. I've got both Dead Space and Dead Space 2, but I've barely played them.
I like the premise and the aesthetics, but I wasn't fond of the demo of the first game. It's a game series I want to like.

Aintitcool

Banned
Surprised this didn't get remastered for current gen. I went through all of dead space 2 using the hand gun you get at the start of the game I remember.

Last edited:

Pejo

I feel like DS1 was the game that modernized ambiance in games. If you played that game with good surround headphones, it's still one of the creepiest games I've ever experienced. Truly a shame what happened to the series.

zeorhymer

DS1 is a great horror game. DS3 is an average co-op shooter. Trying to chase the audience brought their downfall. They lost the core and didn't get enough new to make up for the loss.

YoshiMax

Bizzarely I just finished 3 today it was very good but same problem as the others it’s too long and overstays its welcome. Technically excellent though (played on X)

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Oh man, great timing, been replaying the series. Gotta head into Dead Space 3 soon.
Absolutely love that series, everything about it. Its setting, its lore, its monsters, the horror and the action. Complete weirdo here, but I even adored the third game. It's one of the only games I immediately began replaying after finishing it alone, so I could experience it with a friend.
I joined the "fuck EA" camp when Visceral was killed off. They haven't lost the Star Wars license yet? Ugghhh

Knew it would be this Youtube channel from the name. Loved their coverage on the Resistance series, makes me feel like I missed out after hearing about the third game.

Anyway... Excellent coverage on behind the scenes & on the first game but their sort of gloss over the second and just tell us what we already knew with the third. A shame EA always ruins everything for themselves. Would have liked to see that Jack the Ripper game also.

Puskas

Just give me a remeaster of DS1 with every suit available. I can then die happy. Never played DS2 or DS3 though. They never appealled to me in any way. Seeing more than enough gameplay footage and reviews just reaffirmed my thoughts.

I feel like DS1 was the game that modernized ambiance in games. If you played that game with good surround headphones, it's still one of the creepiest games I've ever experienced. Truly a shame what happened to the series.
I remember playing DS1 only with my Sennhieser headphones on. It was so good. Every time I heard something around me, it literally gave me chills.

Shame that it performed like an ass on the PS3. I specifically recall the frame rate getting worse with each playthrough.

MayauMiao

Dead Space was great, enjoyed Dead Space 2. However the micro transaction debacle in Dead Space 3 was a huge turned off and I think it was that moment I started to boycott games from EA. Damn shame EA greed made me hate them as a publisher.

Sorne

It's clear (from the video at least) that Visceral Games knew what they wanted with the series and knew what was best, but EA clearly just wanted to appeal a the mass market instead and made the series into some action shooter, instead of keeping it in the horror genre. Such a shame, loved the first game.

Also, if you enjoyed that video, I can also recommend The Act Man's video on the first game:

I absolutely loved this series but like most fans got upset how EA pretty much tried to milked the hell out of the series. I loved the first two and ignored all the other "side games" Getting excited for DS3 it launched with massive hate from alot of fans.

In the end I never ended up playing Dead Space 3 and still haven't to this day

Dead Space is still a great game. It’s the worst of the series but the worst DS game is still better than most franchises’ best.

I liked them, but that space-armor-suit took out all the horror from the games.

Bare skin/clothes + space ship + aliens = scary

Epic almost immortal armor+ship+aliens= not scary at all, as it does feel like nothing can touch you.

It wasn’t immortal armor. Do you remember the six million ways to die (choose one) that Issac can be killed?

Just give me a remeaster of DS1 with every suit available. I can then die happy. Never played DS2 or DS3 though. They never appealled to me in any way. Seeing more than enough gameplay footage and reviews just reaffirmed my thoughts.

I remember playing DS1 only with my Sennhieser headphones on. It was so good. Every time I heard something around me, it literally gave me chills.

Shame that it performed like an ass on the PS3. I specifically recall the frame rate getting worse with each playthrough.

DS2 is even better than 1. It’s a natural progression to the series. And improves on the original in every way. And yes it is scarier.

Haven't played Dead Space 3.
Extraction is a great game.
I even played that interactive comic mini-game side-story (which wasn't that great).

Couldn't have said it better.

Masatshi

I am an ALIEN fan, so naturally I loved the DS series... played all 3 parts, liked them all, but the first one is still the best, true.
its a shame DS is dead....

Jae Mara

Yeah DS3 gets a lot of flack and rightly so but as a game it was fine and fun to play through.

As alluded to in the vid, I very rarely hear anyone talk about the co-op which was actually pretty cool and probably the best way to play 3. It had neat features similar to eternal darkness "madness" where one player would see complete different things, You would see your partner going mad shooting things in an empty corridor but their screen the corridor is full of necromorphs. Many subtle touchs than that too. Shame many didnt experience it due to the debacle at the time.

While DS3 was a wrong step in direction for the series, it wasnt criminal. What was though was that the series was binned altogether along with Visceral.

I shudder everytime someone quotes or paraphrases and EA exec reasoning for cancelling something, "we want to give gamers what the want/would enjoy". You want those $$$ EA and thats fine just don't pretend to have glorified interests in gaming.

You were young and too beautiful for this world Dead Space.

Top Bottom