• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Richard Leadbetter (Digital Foundry) calls out AMD, Nvidia and AIBs for allowing GPU price gouging

Bombolone

Gold Member
U7V4pZV.jpg

EN70HOJ.jpg
BAHAahaha

dave_d

There isn't an easy solution to this though, is there? If the AIBs sell cards at MSRP and then everyone who buys a card turns around and resells it on eBay or craigslist for 2 to 3 times the price then what is the difference? Can anyone really blame EVGA and others for wanting to sell their products at a price closer to what the market is demanding? Don't get me wrong. This really sucks all around, but keeping the price low, at this point, is essentially just putting more money in the pockets of scalpers.
Pretty much it's econ 101. I'm still surprised at the number of people that think price is objective when it's subjective. (IE people really should just take econ 101 and 102.)

KungFucius

King Snowflake
AMD started it. When the 6800/6900s launched only the reference cards sold for MSRP or near it, every non reference AIB was 200-400 more while the NVidia AIBs were still MSRP + 30 and up. You could see a Gigabyte card for Nvidia at 60 over MSRP and the AMD equivalent at 250 over MSRP. I guess the issue was the NVidia cards launched before anyone knew how bad it was going to be, but by the time AMD launched, these assholes knew they could gouge and in some sense should gouge ( keep scalping less profitable and take it all yourself)
Unless AMD/Nvidia actually do raise the prices for the boards.

The problem is supply and demand. If the boards' initial costs are sky high, it will make the scalpers more resistant to buy the cards at those prices. Also if they put them up on ebay at absurd prices and no one buys them, then you get your scalpers to be SOL. Basically don't buy the cards and scalpers will go away.
In theory this makes sense, but in practice next cards will launch sky high and be scalped half way to the moon. This will set the stage for weeks or months of more scalping. The sad/sick part of this all is that so many of us 3xxx / 6xxx owners will probably try to get new cards because of the scarcity.

VFXVeteran

Banned
In theory this makes sense, but in practice next cards will launch sky high and be scalped half way to the moon. This will set the stage for weeks or months of more scalping. The sad/sick part of this all is that so many of us 3xxx / 6xxx owners will probably try to get new cards because of the scarcity.
We'll have to disagree on this one. I really think that scalpers have limits. We just haven't touched on them yet. And consumers have limits too. I won't pay for a $3000 graphics card unless it's literally better than my entire computer with RAM and super-powerful GPU.

The guy makes fun of Richard by posting a snarky screenshot of him to mock him and I'm being a condescending douche?? Do you guys really have blinders on so you see only what you want to see?

Calling Richard Leadbetter Digital Daddy isn't even in the same universe as mocking him.

You have to be some fragile snowflake to think that.

Calling someone an 8yo for making a harmless joke is absolutely you being a condescending douche. It was a joke. If you didn't find it funny, move on. You don't have to try to belittle someone because they don't share your sense of humour. Last I checked humour is universal across people of all ages, but it's also subjective. If a joke is funny, it's funny whether you're 5 or 65, OR it simply isn't, and if it isn't it's just because your sense of humour is different. Not because the person making the joke is juvenile. What you did is gaslighting, for no other reason except that you mistook a harmless jest for mocking; because you seem to have some weird hardon for the DF guys? I have no idea why.

Last edited:

meanspartan

This video is evergreen.

And as someone who has seen first-hand what price control can do to a country's economy, I 100% support price gouging.

Yep. IMO, there is no such thing as "price gouging". What there is, actually, is middle men selling at the real price the market thinks the product is actually worth, becsuse MSRP isn't reflecting that real value.

If their price is too high, it won't sell.
unfortunately there is a chance that prices will never go back to normal, because even at ridiculous prices, everything is selling.
News like a 3080ti or a 3050 release is making me flinch.
There was 7% overall inflation in the last 12 months. Prices may calm down as supplies improve, but it's unlike we see January 2020 prices again.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

The guy makes fun of Richard by posting a snarky screenshot of him to mock him and I'm being a condescending douche?? Do you guys really have blinders on so you see only what you want to see?
1 - You're projecting your victim complex onto old Dicky Leadbetter.

2 - You're not not being a condescending douche.

3 - I wasn't making fun of Digital Daddy.

Get well soon love. Ratchet's pixar fur has you down bad.

VFXVeteran

Banned
1 - You're projecting your victim complex onto old Dicky Leadbetter.

2 - You're not not being a condescending douche.

3 - I wasn't making fun of Digital Daddy.

Get well soon love. Ratchet's pixar fur has you down bad.

Go look at the emojs on my comment and see who sent me a "Praise the Sun" emoji. That very guy you guys look up to and respect. He evidently agrees with my comment? How about actually seeing if it's NOT me but this forum of teenagers? You guys troll DF every chance you get and people are tired of it.

Last edited:

Go look at the emojs on my comment and see who sent me a "Praise the Sun" emoji. That very guy you guys look up to and respect. He evidently agrees with my comment? How about actually seeing if it's NOT me but this forum of teenagers? You guys troll DF every chance you get and people are tired of it.

Get a grip dude. It was some light humor. Seeking affirmation from emojis is what teenagers do

Kenpachii

Just saw this in their latest DF Direct, and thought it deserved its own thread. He brings up how the PC CPU, Storage and RAM market isn't being affected by the chip shortage, and how even the console scalpers are only selling them for $50 pounds on top of the MSRP. Whereas, PC GPUs are being sold by EVGA, MSI and other AIBs for double their MSRP. They talk about how the 2060 is being sold by these manufacturers for $550. The problem is the middle man.

Timestamped:

I have brought this up before. My local microcenter always has these cards in stock, but they cost 2x what Nvidia and AMD advertised for them. I see 3090s sitting on shelves for $2,500-2,799. No one wants to buy a 6600xt for $799 or a 6700xt for $999. I saw a lot of 3060 and several 3070s the last time I was there on their truck shipment day, but why would I pay $800+ for them when Nvidia said the 3080 would be $700? Microcenter has excellent sales on PC CPUs all the time too so clearly the chip shortage didnt affect them too much because Intel and AMD sell them directly to Microcenter. No middle man like MSI required.

I dont even have to go to craigslist to get ripped off. The manufacturers are doing it out in the open.

Consoles don't have to compete with miners. complete different situation.

The moment u can mine with those boxes, u won't be seeing 550 ps5's anymore.

Last edited:
It's completely fucked right now trying to find a new GPU, my fiance built a pc and we had to salvage an old 980 ti that our roommate had until she can find a gpu. Basically just waiting to hit the newegg shuffle lottery or find one when they get in stock somewhere.

kyliethicc

1 - I don't look up to anyone on the internet lol.

2 - When you're analyzing emojis, you're down bad.

3 - Love you, muffin.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

I bought last week, 2x 3090 for 3000 euros each. I feel robbed but I had no choice..This situation sucks big time, and component shortages just don’t cut it anymore.

Inviusx

Absolutely insane and I don't think we will ever see the end of it unless the GPU market crashes at some point.

The days of the PC master race are over.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The gpu makers should just run ads with the prices, and force the board partners to run at least one ad as well; this way anyone who jacks up the price will have to deal with false advertising.
But AMD and Nvidia don't care so this will never happen.

Reallink

The gpu makers should just run ads with the prices, and force the board partners to run at least one ad as well; this way anyone who jacks up the price will have to deal with false advertising.
But AMD and Nvidia don't care so this will never happen.

Nvidia and AMD have total control of the chips, it's 100% their design and IP, the AIB's have absolutely nothing without them. If Nvidia and AMD wanted cards to be sold at MSRP, they absolutely would be. They'd simply stop selling chips to AIB who refuse to honor reasonable MSRP's. They could also significantly curtail scalping and mining by forcing retailers (via withholding inventory) to implement a simple customer database that allowed only 1 GPU to be sold per matching billing and shipping address (no business addresses or PO boxes) until inventory is normalized. They do neither of these things cause none of them (Nvidia/AMD, AIB's, or Retailers) give a flying fuck who buys them, they all just want as many thousands of dollars per sell as possible.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
If Nvidia and AMD wanted cards to be sold at MSRP, they absolutely would be.
I don't think this is entirely true, because AMD at least does sell their cards at MSRP on their own site, whenever they have stock obviously.
It just doesn't seem like they care at all about board partners honouring MSRP or not.

Reallink

I don't think this is entirely true, because AMD at least does sell their cards at MSRP on their own site, whenever they have stock obviously.
It just doesn't seem like they care at all about board partners honouring MSRP or not.

MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, et.al have 0 stake or ownership of Ampere or RDNA. AIB's place batch orders that Nvidia and AMD fulfill at their own discretion. The AIB's abide solely to Nvidia/AMD's terms and demands. If they cared about MSRP they'd give all the AIB's an ultimatum. Either sell at MSRP (+/- $50-$100 to account for coolers/ports), or we'll sell chips solely to your competitors that agree to, or we'll dump all the chips into our first party cards.

Last edited:

raduque

The solution is to kill crypto miners. Smother them in their sleep. All of them. Worldwide. Just murder, murder, murder till GPU prices are under control.

not really, but maybe

Shai-Tan

Banned
local stores here still have 3070 and 3080 listed as msrp at prices that aren’t that ridiculous compared to what I paid for 2080ti in 2018. Of course no cards are in stock….

Top Bottom