• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revenue and Downloads for every Sony first-party game ever released on the PSN (580+ titles, as of June 11, 2023)

Lunarorbit

Days gone was robbed. Such a great environment they created of Oregon. Sony pr shit all over this game and did no favors when they didn't explain to reviewers how the patch would fix the game.

Besides ghost of tsushima it was my fastest plat on ps4. There is no revisionist history with this game. It was awesome from the jump. I never experienced any technical issues.

Ross and Garvin pissed off the wrong people at Sony. From all the interviews I heard you could tell some shit went down behind the scenes.

nial

Gold Member
Do we know which region Australia, New Zealand and the Middle East are included in?
Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe.
Africa and India as well.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Initiatives such as PSOne Classics and PS2 Classics literally printed them tens of millions of dollars with minimal work on the development side. I don't know what they're waiting for to release a retro PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP handheld.
About this, I firmly believe that every single butchering of these initiatives is at fault of SIE Japan.
-PS4 not having PSOne Classics early on when PS Vita got them in its first year (December 2011-August 2012), and having to wait AFTER PS5 launched to even get them, which is when they started from scratch.
-PS2 on PS4 initiative mainly led by SCEA and SCEE in December 2015, as SCEI didn't jump onto it until March 2017, and even then they only had 6 games released in JP (Star Ocean 3, Jak 1-3 and X, and Ace Combat 5). Yep, as crazy as it sounds, Japanese games like Fantavision and Dark Chronicle are only available on Western PSN stores.
-And when you realIze that PS5 hardware and software engineering is all done in Japan, it makes all the sense in the world that they didn't even care about games like Ape Escape 2 and Okage: Shadow King (not available in Japan as I said) running well at all on BC.

Last edited:

Woopah

Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe.
Africa and India as well.
Thanks! It's interesting to see how well some Sony games do in the rest of Asia outside Japan.

Some estimates based on the multiple insomniac leaks

Screenshot-2024-04-28-at-21-21-28.png

Part 2 is estimated to be over 16mil as of June 2023 and that's without factoring in any sales of the PS5 SKU that has since been released.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
"Days Gone creative director and writer John Garvin said that, if you love a game and want a sequel, you should "buy it at f****** full price." As reported by VGC, Garvin was a guest on God of War creator's David Jaffe's YouTube show and discussed many topics regarding Days Gone and his time in the video game industry."

It didn't generate enough money to warrant a sequel. Lots of revisionist history with that game.

Not true. It 100% made enough money to warrant a sequel. The question is, did Sony want to allow a sequel for the game or just move on to a new IP for Sony Bend.

DrFigs

Not true. It 100% made enough money to warrant a sequel. The question is, did Sony want to allow a sequel for the game or just move on to a new IP for Sony Bend.
I know there are people who really liked Days Gone when they bought it on sale for 10 dollars. But the game wasn't a huge hit at launch, and Sony already has a much bigger zombie franchise anyway. It's redundant, the game is low key garbage, and the people who claim to love it, only bought it when it was already a flop.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

The leadership at Sony was acutely aware of how much money Days Gone made and decided that Days Gone 2 wasn't worth pursuing. That time was better spent making a new Live Service IP.

If Days Gone made 4x the amount of money it did, we'd be hearing about a Days Gone 2 sequel by now.

So if revenue is vanity and profit is sanity....units sales is INSANITY.

This really demonstrates that. Forbidden West has nearly as much revenue as Zero Dawn despite selling one third of it's units.

Audiophile

A lot of people talking about Days Gone 2 here, let’s look at what has occurred to date:

- Jason Schrier said Bend were working on a new Uncharted game with ND which is still yet to surface.

- John Garvin (former writer of Days Gone), admits (in an interview with David Jaffe) he already wrote Days Gone 2, and a strong outline for more potential sequels beyond that too.

- Jeff Ross (former Director of Days Gone), confirmed (in an interview with David Jaffe) DG1 sold over 8m copies, and Days Gone 2 in development up til he left Bend.

- Herman Hulst confirms Bend are working on a new IP. (Note: It is not stipulated as the only game they are working on.)

- Sony confirms they are working on a Days Gone movie.

- Epic Games release a photo of an untitled UE5 game about developers pushing boundaries.

wiktor-ohman-3-copy.jpg

I’m not saying it’s happening, but we don’t know everything.

The hopium I needed!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This chart shows how much physical sales big AAA games get. Also Bloodborne Top 15, hell yeah.

Yep. It should also make people wonder what these games "would have sold like" had they not had physical releases at all or if they were released on a system that didn't have a physical media option at all.

Sethbacca

I know there are people who really liked Days Gone when they bought it on sale for 10 dollars. But the game wasn't a huge hit at launch, and Sony already has a much bigger zombie franchise anyway. It's redundant, the game is low key garbage, and the people who claim to love it, only bought it when it was already a flop.
I paid full price when it came out so clearly not everyone waited for the bargain bin.

Top Bottom