• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal Review Thread (PS5)

Sorry rant incoming

Fuck this paying $70 to feel good and support the dev shit ..it’s a fucking money grab to offset the loss of the console and has nothing to do with the dev or Sony’s decision to make a sequel to a new ip game

did you feel good paying $70 for a cross gen dlc title that has about 5 hours of gameplay.
in the age where digital titles are starting to overtake physical discs there is no justification outside of a money grab charging $70 (120 aud) for new release games

in the 90s you could loosely argue cartridges/manuals and region based games added to the cost of a game but these days you get a disc which probably costs cents to manufacture and a plastic cover...it’s region free and has no manual

hyped for the game but not hyped for that price...if there was not such a drought of games you would see many people simply waiting until it came down or if your on the green side you would simply pay fuckall and be playing first party games on game pass day one....charging $70 for a new release game vs free is not a great business model and will come unstuck once there are more first party titles in the wild.

FrankWza

Sorry rant incoming

GHG

Sorry rant incoming

Fuck this paying $70 to feel good and support the dev shit ..it’s a fucking money grab to offset the loss of the console and has nothing to do with the dev or Sony’s decision to make a sequel to a new ip game

did you feel good paying $70 for a cross gen dlc title that has about 5 hours of gameplay.
in the age where digital titles are starting to overtake physical discs there is no justification outside of a money grab charging $70 (120 aud) for new release games

in the 90s you could loosely argue cartridges/manuals and region based games added to the cost of a game but these days you get a disc which probably costs cents to manufacture and a plastic cover...it’s region free and has no manual

hyped for the game but not hyped for that price...if there was not such a drought of games you would see many people simply waiting until it came down or if your on the green side you would simply pay fuckall and be playing first party games on game pass day one....charging $70 for a new release game vs free is not a great business model and will come unstuck once there are more first party titles in the wild.

tenor.gif

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I have 2 budgets: PC and PS5. I've already spent a lot on the PS5. And I know Returnal isn't my cup of tea (die-n-repeat). I tried Hades and returned it after 30 mins..
Well if you don’t like hades.
one of the most friendliest roguelites around.
Then you just don’t like the genre.

damn shame you gave up on hades after 30 min.
That game completely changes after a couple of runs.

Last edited:

GHG

I'm not THAT good of a gamer tbh.:messenger_persevering:

It's really not a hard game once you get the hang of the mechanics and figure out the boon synergies (that's when the magic starts).

Half an hour isn't enough to let it sink it's teeth into you, both in terms of the characters and for you to figure out the flow of the gameplay. I'd suggest giving it another go once it's on sale at some point. It's the GOAT rouguelike and a lot of people who don't typically like those types of games ended up loving it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sorry rant incoming

keeping up with the kardashians peasant GIF

bender

What time is it?

I can't abide by the perversion of the Rogue genre. Persistent upgrades serve little else than to artificially extend the length of a game because the designers didn't have the creative chops to create level, enemy and item randomization to keep players coming back. Rogue-likes will always been infinitely more interesting than Rogue-lites.

Sorry rant incoming

I don't think the cost goes into the physical nature of the game like the box it gets shipped in or the disc it gets printed on. It's development of the game that has become increasingly expensive. Its the reason why you see less and less risk taking by the way of new IP's.

I might be wrong here but I think that's where the costs are coming from. I'll be happy to be corrected If I am wrong by anyone more knowledgeable on the matter.

Yoboman

I don't think the cost goes into the physical nature of the game like the box it gets shipped in or the disc it gets printed on. It's development of the game that has become increasingly expensive. Its the reason why you see less and less risk taking by the way of new IP's.

I might be wrong here but I think that's where the costs are coming from. I'll be happy to be corrected If I am wrong by anyone more knowledgeable on the matter.
No games are free to make, it costs $70 to burn the disc and make a box

Interfectum

Sorry rant incoming

Elaine Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

AmuroChan

To put it in perspective, a team of 20 or so people made FFVI in 18 months. Nowadays a typical AAA game may need a team of 200 people and 5 years to make. If the average salary is 100k per person, that's $100 million just in salaries. That doesn't even include marketing, employee benefits, voice acting, etc.

sainraja

Sorry rant incoming

Well, you don't have to get it for $70 dollars but it's what the price of next gen games going to be. All future games designed for next will be $70 whether we like it or not.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
I predict an inferior version of Remedy's Control

but with better reviews since its an exclusive title
I don't agree with that at all.

Contrary to Remedy, who are known for delivering underwhelming versions of concepts that sound great on paper (Alan Wake, Quantum Break and Control), Housemarque has released several nearly-perfect titles like Resogun, Super Stardust, Alienation and Nex Machina in the past.

So there's no way that a top-tier action games developer like them are going to make an inferior version of a mediocre TPS like Control.

Last edited:

Karak

Interesting stuff. So the RNG can REALLY affect how frustrating a particular playthrough can be at times. I haven’t played many rogue-likes but that’s been a point of frustration for me before (obviously a game like Hades handled this well). Maybe the incoming patch would be a “we’ll make sure you don’t get extra fucked” kind of tweak where you don’t get double or triple stacking negative RNG penalties that make the game a slog, some sort of safeguard if you will.

Do you think the lack of permanent upgrades in the first two levels increases the difficulty or did you find your skill increase proportionally as time goes on making the difficulty seem more manageable?
I cant say much more due to the embargo. But I don't think its a game breaker but I DO see some people for sure being very frustrated in a way that is not as normal for roguelike/roguelites as in the past and of course in combination with people seeing a 3rd person shooter and thinking "oh I know how to play these"

As they have stated there are "rare" permanent upgrades(they stated so in the PlayStation blog post today I just wanted to verify so I am not saying something I shouldn't)
I just think it's less that and a bit more wide RNG. I mean shit dude some people are going to love trying to find combinations and then dying way into a section. Others not so much ahaha.

Also that quote from Fextra about length. Ya no lies detected on that I can see folks going ages and ages. We will see what others say.

Last edited:
To put it in perspective, a team of 20 or so people made FFVI in 18 months. Nowadays a typical AAA game may need a team of 200 people and 5 years to make. If the average salary is 100k per person, that's $100 million just in salaries. That doesn't even include marketing, employee benefits, voice acting, etc.
So you saying that game development is exactly where the increase in the price of games stems from?

quest

Not Banned from OT
Hopefully it scores great and the team collects fat bonus checks. It's on my list when I get a ps5 slim.

Top Bottom