• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal Review Thread (PS5)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Really glad to see it's reviewing well. The studio really deserves it.

Please spare a thought for the people who aren't happy about this..

Special bonus:

They might be hungry, I can spare this.

16729626.jpg

Entroyp

Yeah, I read his review and the criticisms were rather weak. Personally, I don’t think price should factor into a game review. Review it on the merits of the game itself.

These are some great reviews. Hopefully it sells well and Sony notices. I really hope people support the game by buying it before waiting for a significant price drop.

I bought the DD and a physical copy to collect. I want HM to keep making this type of games.

Bankai

Gamespot gave it a 9 and says:
"Innovative use of PS5 tech, including DualSense haptics and Tempest 3D sound, creates a visceral awareness of the world, which enhances ambient storytelling and gameplay"

Which is awesome! I can't wait to give this one a go, seems like a gen-ext experience to me,

saintjules

Long and short: too difficult but "looks feels like a $70 game." He also doesn't like the adaptive trigger implementation and things all the colors and objects "clutter" the screen

Sounds like nitpicking on the colors/object part. Which is fine. I invite all levels of criticism of the game.

A Brick and Mortar store near me might have copies out early. Gonna check when they open.

Rolla

Banned
Will not post this review in the OP unless told to by Mods as his bias could cloud his review reasonings. Will update the Meta and OC though.
He's in my twitter mentions often. His hatred of PS is comedic gold, while at the same time preaching that we should "WAIT" for games from his preferred publisher. I thought he was just a crazy fanboy but it wasn't until today that I realized he was a "game journo" and his opinion could influence metacritic scoring.

The saddest thing about this is that the game is still 86/87 and his review has seriously damaged his site's reputation. Sure he might get some short term clicks but he's damaged himself in the process by his review being a predetermined outlier.

Last edited:
please be true

edit: IT IS

Amazing. The guy really has the nerve to go out there and review this game after his non stop Xbox marketing???? It's too perfect. I love how Xbox fanboys just don't give a fuck. They will push the narrative, come hell or high water. I love it.

Will not post this review in the OP unless told to by Mods as his bias could cloud his review reasonings. Will update the Meta and OC though.

UPDATE: Will post review to not allow "console warring to come into this OP"

He's in my twitter mentions often. His hatred of PS is comedic gold, while at the same time preaching that we should "WAIT" for games from his preferred publisher. I thought he was just a crazy fanboy but it wasn't until today that I realized he was a "game journo" and his opinion could influence metacritic scoring.

The saddest thing about this is that the game is still 86/87 and his review has seriously damaged his site's reputation. Sure he might get some short term clicks but he's damaged himself in the process by his review being a predetermined outlier.

Regarding Jeff's Grub reviews. Read some interesting stuff on ERA

Grubb complains about the adaptive triggers and EZA says you can easily turn it off in the menu and use a different control scheme.
Grubb is complaining about the adaptive triggers, even you can turn it off. And looks like he didn't make it through the second biome. LOL. Even more WTF

Gamespot gave it a 9 and says:
"Innovative use of PS5 tech, including DualSense haptics and Tempest 3D sound, creates a visceral awareness of the world, which enhances ambient storytelling and gameplay"

Which is awesome! I can't wait to give this one a go, seems like a gen-ext experience to me,
Yep. If Dualsense support is good, then it is good. If you don't like it, turn it off.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
My 'logic' is absolutely unassailable - or are you saying that there aren't dozens of other pieces of media that feature extremely attractive women (and men for that matter)?

Getting all whiny because Returnal's main character looks like Ripley instead of 2B is pretty pathetic, don't you think?

You seriously cannot argue without setting up easy straw men, can't you? I'd recommend you to take some reading comprehension courses. To clarify the points:

A. Nobody asked for the main character to look like 2B

B. Ripley looks way better than Returnal's main character. Absolutely. I've never thought "my god, she's ugly" while watching Alien, while this character is actually downright ugly and angry to make it worse.

The problem with this is that the game seems legitimately great after these reviews, but the enjoyment is spoiled after having to play with menopausic Karen.

Imagine, this is doing great so far, 87, I want to play this game. However I won't get it full price since the experience is hampered by uggo over there.

Last edited:
Seriously Jeff Grubb? How is it that everyone else is posting 8/10 or 9/10? So far off the mark. I'd of at least expected him to fall within the average, heck, even 7/10. But 6/10? Why even hide it? Why not rate it -5 out of 10 if that's how you truly feel about anything PS.

Last edited:

reksveks

The main complaint that Jeff Grubb has is one that others include Blessing from Kindafunny has highlighted, basically you can easily go an number of runs where you aren't making significant progress unlike Hades/Dead Cell.

Seriously Jeff Grub? How is it that everyone else is posting 8/10 or 9/10? So far off the mark. I'd of at least expected him to fall within the average, heck, even 7/10. But 6/10? Why even hide it? Why not rate it -5 out of 10 if that's how you truly feel about anything PS.
VB seems to do ratings out of 5 stars, not sure if they do half stars.

Kokoloko85

Was interesting listening to all the haters for all these months. They tried it all from not enough content, looks bad, the main character is ugly.

How about concentrate on your own platform.....
Ign will always give bad reviews anyway.

Congrats to House Marque

killatopak

Gold Member
To be quite honest, I’m not really a fan of rogue-likes until I played Hollow Knight. I just want to know if this game is as fun as that as it will take a really great rogue-like to get my interest.

KingT731

Sounds like nitpicking on the colors/object part. Which is fine. I invite all levels of criticism of the game.

A Brick and Mortar store near me might have copies out early. Gonna check when they open.
Most of his review was nitpicking and that's looking at it completely objectively. He wasn't saying anything that points you towards the game not being good (most just him being bad at the game) but he does state that he ignored a lot of the gameplay mechanics. It's clearly not a genre he likes and the review shows that.
CsQlJxf.png

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
IGN review

42 hours for 25 deaths so very long runs and you can’t save. Yeah this is ridiculous.

Last edited:

graywolf323

The main complaint that Jeff Grubb has is one that others include Blessing from Kindafunny has highlighted, basically you can easily go an number of runs where you aren't making significant progress unlike Hades/Dead Cell.
ehhh they must not have seen me play Hades or Dead Cells then :messenger_squinting_tongue: I've easily had a bunch of runs in both those games (on Switch) without making significant progress

I absolutely love Hades though in spite of having not managed to beat the last boss yet over ~30 runs (I really should get back to that game)

I'm probably not getting Returnal just because it seems too horror-ish for my taste

Top Bottom