• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal, are you dipping or waiting?

NikuNashi

Mod edit: OP thought they would try and sneak a stupid console war option into the poll, so it was removed.

So interested to get opinions on Returnal after seeing the 45 mins gameplay footage.

I'm in day 1. Love the atmosphere and arcade style responsive gameplay. How about you guys/girls/others?

Last edited by a moderator:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm not getting it since I will be too busy playing Nier Replicant ver 1.22 and Monster Hunter Rise DLC thats coming end of this month.

I wasn't interested in this game at all until today, but all the gameplay footage has me reconsidering. We'll see. I'll wait for reviews and probably until the inevitable balance patch that adds a quality of life features like being able to save your game.

Am really glad that we finally get to see gameplay. I’m still waiting for endgame impressions, though.

I tend to play rogue likes for hundreds of hours and if Returnal is only good for 20 hours then I‘ma wait for 50% off.

Last edited:

Arkam

After watching the previews today....

Season 8 Showtime GIF by Shameless

I'm DAY ONE. SkillUps Preview was great. A lot of the previews were really positive and optimistic.

I hope it gets great reviews, cause I like video games. I still enjoy video games. I always hope games are good. I like to see developers rewarded for their hard work. I have never once hoped a game sucked, I'm not sure what kind of shitty personality trait that is.

2AdEPT

Looks good, itchng for something new on PS5 so might do it...has it been announced if/when reviews will be allowed prior to release?

Hinedorf

Banned
Broke boi choice lol - speaking of gamepass I'm having a great time w/Desperados 3. I'm sure I'll enjoy watching videos of Returnal it looks visually stunning but I suck at 2d roguelikes enough to know it's not really a genre I love to play

Dr Bass

Had no interest in this. But after seeing the previews from today pretty sure I’m in on day 1. Digital of course.

This is what I still love about gaming after a few decades of playing games. New ideas. I still love new installments of the classics but I highly prefer these fresh experiences. Sony is already massively delivering for me with the PS5 and this is just adding to the pile after only a few months.

Very happy.

bender

What time is it?
I dislike roguelikes. That about sums it up.

I'm not sure which Roguelite introduced it, so I'll use Rogue Legacy as the example, but I really hate the persistence elements that other developers borrowed for their own titles. It really feels like the ultimate form of padding and takes a game that should take a few hours to beat and turns them into a 30+ hour experience. Yes I realize that skilled players can beat a lot of this games with little to no upgrades but that isn't the experience for your average Joe. It just feels like it saps the luck aspect from what makes Rogue games interesting. You should be able to get lucky and beat any Rogue on your first attempt or unlucky and it could take you dozens. The randomization of levels, items, enemy encounters and secrets is what should be the draw of these types of games, not a currency you dump into persistent skill trees. Spelunky is the perfect example of this. I've dumped hundreds of hours into it. With Hades, I was bored in less than 10, it just felt like a grind, a slog.

I'm really curious about Returnal. Nex Machina is a wonderful, wonderful game. I really want to see what Housemarque can do in a 3D perspective game. What's holding me back is how well they implement the Rogue structure of the game. The Hades comparisons are setting off alarm bells for me.

Larlight

Partly waiting for reviews but partly still going to end up getting it anyways because it’s probably going to be the first proper next gen PS5 game I get to play that isn’t a remake.

Top Bottom