• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal, are you dipping or waiting?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Im there on day 1! :) I have one week to finish Nier
200.gif

GymWolf

I have the game already in preorder but i still need to see all the new footage (waiting to return at home, not gonna watch the new footage on a fucking tablet at work).

Roufianos

Only reason I got it is I had an ebay voucher which meant I could get it for £55.

£70 is going to kill this game.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Buy disc > play all weekend > sell.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
$70 is absolutely absurd price for a game like this. It should cost the same as Miles Morales at least (if not a bit less). I also not a huge fan of roguelikes and paying $70 to play them is a hell to the no for me.

I would pay 60€ for a launch title like this.
I won't pay 75€ for a launch title.
I won't pay 60€ for a non-launch title.
I want to play Returnal, but instead I will go for 50$ new R-Type and wait for a long time I think.

Gloomnivore

I’m happy to wait and not contribute to making this pricing work. If it gets a Meta score in the mid 90s, my resolve will be pushed.

Shmunter

I’m happy to wait and not contribute to making this pricing work. If it gets a Meta score in the mid 90s, my resolve will be pushed.
The pricing is in no doubt to subsidise a limited next gen install base. Pay for the next gen exclusives, wait for discount on cross gen titles - no justification there.

Robins

Interested but I'll wait. I would like to support the developer but can't justify any game at £70 right now. Not when companies seem to want to give you everything for free at the moment.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Difficult to ignore the unanimous praise it’s getting, even with my epic sized backlog. I shall see
Exact same rationale here. I have a 4TB hard drive full of PS4 games I've yet to start but hearing the early impressions could be the tipping point. If Sony allows early reviews and they are glowing like the early impressions, I'm in.

Because of the price becoming an issue (for this game specifically... I wonder who started this) the reviews will touch on the value.

Last edited:

II_JumPeR_I

It looks interesting. But it just isnt worth 80€ for me.
Maybe it will find its way into PS+ sometimes this year then i will play it.

Bartski

Gold Member
Never played a Housemarque game before, totally not my thing. On the fence with this one all the way, thinking it's cool but not really for me.

With every recent trailer things just got more and more interesting...

I just checked the SkillUp preview and some of the longer gameplay segments.

Meaningful haptic feedback and 3D audio. Rogue-lite with no save points. Hard! Ray-traced 4K60????

Nice going Jimbo, here, take some money. See you next Thursday night.

cormack12

Gold Member
Tough one. I really like Housemarque. Usually I go halves with my bro on the digital but roguelikes aren't his type of game so I'd have to drop the £60 myself. I will say it's dropping at the right time though, there is a definite lull. But I feel I've been here before with the likes of Bound by Flame on PS4 and Godfall on PS5 as well. Impressions looks good, but I know that if I don't get it now, I'm not missing out on much except the web discussions. If I pick it up on a sale, it will still be the same game/content in a year. There's no rush, no multiplayer meta etc.

Shame really, even if it was £10 cheaper I really think it would be an insta buy given the quietness in the market, but the £70 does ask questions of consumers.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
it seems a RL game.
good luck with that

It'll still have some sort of ending, as long as I don't have to beat it ten times I'm good - Hades didn't take that long to finish

Ellery

The new gameplay and previews look extremely interesting. I am still expeceting a 90+ game, but 75-82 is realistic and I might actually buy Day1 if reviews are above 80. Not sure yet, but definitely interested in the setting.

Awesome day today

DonJorginho

Banned
I have talked shit about this game for months, the pricing, the AA nature, my general meh feelings for Housemarque and their games.

Then the previews came.

This game looks so much better than it did previously, the combat looks tight as hell, the atmosphere seems to be spot on, the reception is glowing and the fact that it is being touted by critics as "the first true PS5 game" makes me very excited to play.

I will await reviews before making my final decision but I am leaning more towards the day one camp compared to the wait for a sale camp I was in previously.

Haggard

Banned
I`ll probably bite once it falls below the 50€ line if the reviews can keep what the previews promised.

No chance I´ll ever "day 1" an 80€ game, not gonna happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom