• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Return to Sinnoh region in Pokemon Brillant Diamond and Shining Pearl!

theclaw135

Banned
I don't really want to repeat myself.

But in short, you don't see everyone doing Pokémon clones because the hard part isn't making a mediocre RPG with PS2-ish production values.

The hard part is building a massive, multi billion, 20+ years old, multi media franchise that's so beloved it will get millions of people to buy your mediocre RPG for $60 ($90 if you want DLC).

Pokémon is way more than just a series of videogames. You know what the most well known and beloved character in the franchise is? Pikachu...and except for Pokémon Yellow he is basically irrelevant in the videogames.

Almost every game that's tried to cash in on Pokemon pitifully face plants, or endures a tepid existence. For very deserving reasons.
None of them quite grasp the character design school, or that 'click' of the gameplay flow, that Pokemon's audience loves.

Saber

Gold Member
I wonder if they still have the guts to muster lies and limits the game available mons to transfer after this.

Kataploom

Gold Member
This looks ugly, the originals looked better. But it doesn't surprise me Nintendo fanbase will eat anything up with full priced Wii ports and low effort remakes that look worse than the original on a show string budget. It makes sense in a business sense low budget high sales insane profits. I would do the same if I was in charge of Nintendo finances.
It's not "Nintendo fans", there are millions of people that aren't Nintendo fans and buy their games, most aren't even fans lol.

I can consider myself a Nintendo fan and am not buying this. I would if I hadn't played it already or had a minumum interest on it but no. Well, this one look ugly anyway so not sure if I'd buy it, but nothing to do with "feeling humuliated" or whatever rethoric some people put on A COMPANY which owe us nothing beyond what we get from paying them lol.

Ten_Fold

What's that? The Switch gets yet another port, instead of a wholly new game? I am shocked. Shocked over here I tell you.
This isn’t a port, it’s a full remake that includes things from platinum. This is Pokémon’s anniversary so of course they wanna get the remake that’s next up out of the way, also next year the big Pokémon game is coming.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Because they're Pokemon fans, not necessarily Nintendo fans
Games don't reach this scale of success only due to fans, it's literally mainstream brand recognition, the hardcore pokemon fans a minority, and more customers are those that just like pokemon and don't cara about forums "professional" views regarding the morality of releases lol.

Let alone those that just want to play something or want their children to play something and know pokemon is a thing people like.

Pokemon is much MUCH bigger than their fanbase, if it wasn't, TPC wouldn't pitch the incomplete pokedex for SwSh with not even a drop of sweat.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I’m guessing we’ll still have a Let’s Go version of Johto (based on nothing but a blind guess).
Yes please. I enjoyed Let's Go Pikachu way more than I expected to. A lot of that had to do with my nostalgia for the original games, but even without factoring that in I think it's a great game. Love the look of it too.

Fake

Games don't reach this scale of success only due to fans, it's literally mainstream brand recognition, the hardcore pokemon fans a minority, and more customers are those that just like pokemon and don't cara about forums "professional" views regarding the morality of releases lol.

Let alone those that just want to play something or want their children to play something and know pokemon is a thing people like.

Pokemon is much MUCH bigger than their fanbase, if it wasn't, TPC wouldn't pitch the incomplete pokedex for SwSh with not even a drop of sweat.

My old brother is a Pokemon fan, not a Nintendo fan. He get a DS for play Platinum, HG/SS and Black/White, now he have a 3DS for playing X/Y and Moon/Sun.

The only other game he have is Mario Kart 3DS.

There are Nintendo fans that buy not only Pokemon, but Nintendo games. There are Pokemon fans that only buy games to play Pokemon NO MATTER WHAT (Pokemon GO) and there are casuals that play whatever they want. I pretty sure the sucess of Pokemon is made by Pokemons fans inself, not casual. Fathers buy Pokemon games to their childs because their childs are Pokemon fan.

Kataploom

Gold Member
My old brother is a Pokemon fan, not a Nintendo fan. He get a DS for play Platinum, HG/SS and Black/White, now he have a 3DS for playing X/Y and Moon/Sun.

The only other game he have is Mario Kart 3DS.

There are Nintendo fans that buy not only Pokemon, but Nintendo games. There are Pokemon fans that only buy games to play Pokemon NO MATTER WHAT (Pokemon GO) and there are casuals that play whatever they want. I pretty sure the sucess of Pokemon is made by Pokemons fans inself, not casual. Fathers buy Pokemon games to their childs because their childs are Pokemon fan.
And those are in the minority, he can buy whatever, but my gf who is very pokemaniac won't, she'll skip this remake and rather get the Arceus game. Most of the people buying Pokemon games (and Nintendo games in general) are non-dedicated gamers, just people looking for some games to play or gift others and it happens that Nintendo is "the videogame" brand in popular buzzword.

If the game has success, it's most probably because Pokemon brand strengh in the mainstream than fans buying all stock just for the lolz or because most people buying it even know it's a remake of an old game. All they know is "it's a Pokemon game and people like Pokemon".

Fake

And those are in the minority, he can buy whatever, but my gf who is very pokemaniac won't, she'll skip this remake and rather get the Arceus game. Most of the people buying Pokemon games (and Nintendo games in general) are non-dedicated gamers, just people looking for some games to play or gift others and it happens that Nintendo is "the videogame" brand in popular buzzword.

If the game has success, it's most probably because Pokemon brand strengh in the mainstream than fans buying all stock just for the lolz or because most people buying it even know it's a remake of an old game. All they know is "it's a Pokemon game and people like Pokemon".

Dude, this is pretty much the definition of a Pokemon fan...

Kataploom

Gold Member
Dude, this is pretty much the definition of a Pokemon fan...
I think a fan is someone that actively follows the brand news and get their products frequently, the ones I'm talking about are the people that don't even know what "4th gen pokemon" means.

Top Bottom