• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RetroArch has been submitted to Apple for approval.

StereoVsn

Oh, that would be awesome. Despite my misgivings about Retroarch custodians and their past shenanigans, emulation capability there is top notch.

Edit: Really hope they will have iPad mode as well.

Last edited:

Red5

Would be sweet, I keep forgetting to refresh my altstore when sideloading Retroarch.

Would love to try CRT Royale on a M1 Ipad, tried it on my Air 4 and ran like molasses.

StereoVsn

Would be sweet, I keep forgetting to refresh my altstore when sideloading Retroarch.

Would love to try CRT Royale on a M1 Ipad, tried it on my Air 4 and ran like molasses.
Yep, new M2 Airs or Used/On Sale M2 Pro should do very well.

Edit: Damn, I now want M2 (or equivalent) Apple TV for emulation gaming!

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Sick! The only thing I’d need after this is Dolphin, but I’m pretty sure that’s not gonna happen either ever, or for a very long time. (Since Apple won’t let them use JIT.)

RaduN

Retroarch is GOAT.

I mean, the FBNeo core alone is worth it (all great arcades from the 90s - 2000s including all Cave shmups ever released), not to mention Flycast (best DC emulator), Duckstation (psx emulator with geometry correction), and all 8 and 16 bits emulators you can dream of.

Sick! The only thing I’d need after this is Dolphin, but I’m pretty sure that’s not gonna happen either ever, or for a very long time. (Since Apple won’t let them use JIT.)
What is JIT and what does it mean for RetroArch, if anything?

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
What is JIT and what does it mean for RetroArch, if anything?
JIT compilation (or “Just-In-Time”) is a method where code is compiled into machine language right before it's executed, rather than ahead of time.

It’s not needed for most RetroArch cores as far as I know, but for Dolphin, it’s crucial because it significantly improves performance. Most games are essentially unplayable on iOS without it.

Apple doesn’t allow for JIT for most (all?) apps on the App Store due to security issues. That’s basically all I know about it, though. But the Dolphin team says it’s unlikely they’ll ever put Dolphin on the App Store because of that.

Maybe someday they will, once the iPhone processors are fast enough to handle the alternative methods of interpretation are fast enough, but it seems unlikely.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Red5

Hmm downloaded it but it's not working, crashes everytime I load up a ROM. Do I need to add BIOS for each core? The Retroarch version I sideload works fine tho.

RagnarokIV

Wow my Apple TV 4k may finally become somewhat of a 'gaming device' like apple and their fans insisted it is lmao.

How is performance on it with shaders?

RagnarokIV

Also, I wonder if I'll be able to sync this with my iCloud storage to have some of my go-to games on there.

Can't wait to try this alter.

DaGwaphics

Cool. This will allow a younger generation to discover the classic greats. Being available directly in the primary store will be a huge boon for the software.

Top Bottom