• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retroactive pc ports of classic console games. (mario 64 etc)

sunnysideup

Banned
I cannot play emulation. I like to play around with it, but actually playing the game. There is always something off that does not quite work. That takes me out of the experience.

So i heard about mario 64 pc port. Made from leaked source code of the original(?). And I thought it was interesting.

And i wonder are there any more games like this?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
They are working on doing the same for Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask. Not final yet though.

They are not from leaked source code as I understand they decompile the original game, so basically remaking the games from scratch? Something like that. SO its not technically illegal.

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
Great news! This is a great movement imho.

There is going to take ages before we are going to get fpga that can run n64 class console. N64 is really an great console to port from. There are so few good games and most of the run like dog shit on original hardware, and emulation still isnt very good.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Great news! This is a great movement imho.

There is going to take ages before we are going to get fpga that can run n64 class console. N64 is really an great console to port from. There are so few good games and most of the run like dog shit on original hardware, and emulation still isnt very good.

Im not an expert but I think N64 emulation has made great strides in the past year or 2. Give it another try.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I imagine an unofficial PC port of Mario 64 isn't going to be 100% accurate to the original console experience either. The only way to get that is the hardware. Otherwise Mario 64's been completely fine to emulate for a very long time.

nkarafo

and emulation still isnt very good.
It's very good. It's been very good for a few years now.

You should try one of these two options:

- m64p

- RetroArch + Mupen64plus-Next + Parallel RDP/RSP core options under Vulkan

The first option is a pre-configured, play and forget experience. No need to change anything. Just load a rom and it should play with the best settings possible.

The second options might need a bit of tweaking and some default options changed per game. Plus, it needs RetroArch. But the end result can be further enhanced with the use of some nice CRT shaders.

Both options use the modern Parallel RDP for graphics, which needs vulkan and it's the most accurate and compatible option. It also emulates all the native N64 filters, unlike GlideN64. But it needs a somewhat decent system to run. It runs mostly fine at 2x upscale on my 7 year old i5 4670 paired with a cheap, old Nvidia 1060. If you want a good N64 emulation experience you should avoid anything "performance focused" (like GlideN64, no matter how mature it is nowadays) and also avoid liquid shit like mobile phones and Raspberry devices.

The N64 is a complex system and very hard to emulate so it needs a bit more power to run accurately. But if you only want to run Mario 64, i guess you can get away with less accurate options.

stranno

They are working on doing the same for Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask. Not final yet though.

They are not from leaked source code as I understand they decompile the original game, so basically remaking the games from scratch? Something like that. SO its not technically illegal.
Technically it is almost done. But Master Quest decompilation is only the decompilation itself, unlike the Mario 64 team, that ported the game to PC and Nintendo 64 along with the decompilation.

With Mario 64 it took about one full year to see console ports, starting with the 3DS one.

Process could be more streamlined, but I wouldn't expect ports soon.

Aside N64, there are tons of decompilation projects. Driver 2 or Midtown Madness come to my mind.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I just want OOT 60 FPS.

That would be incredible.

I don't play around with this stuff any more but I did see this floating around. Looks like the 3DS models which I know some people don't like, I think it looks cool. Just got way too much other stuff to play to replay OoT again :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom