• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studio Could have been Nintendo's 'BluePoint Games'

BluePoints Games Wikipedia
It was founded in 2006 by Marco Thrush and late Andy O'Neil, both previously part of the Metroid Prime series engineering team.
Huh ... somehow my thought comes full circle before I even begin

_________________​

Regardless, what happen to Retro? What do they do?

They could have been given the keys to all of Nintendo's past, dormant, IPs.

Coming off of the success of Prime and Donkey Kong, they could have modernized many other Nintendo IPs, and by now, made an original IPs for themselves (seeming like the path BluePoint is aiming now) with all that they have learned.

Instead, they haven't made a 3rd Doneky Kong Return, making a proper trilogy... And their giving Metriod Prime 4 back as if they weren't the ones who revived that IPs.

Who's at fault?

Could Reggie have done more to push more projects for them?
Was their internal issue?
Not enough talent or Nintendo pushing their own vision pushing people out?

Last edited:
On top of the bluepoint stuff, if I remember correctly, a lot of talent left Retro for 343 to work on Halo as well as other studios like id software and of course Armature. Sounds like they've bled a ton of talent through the years

There must have been some internal issues and canceled projects. Tropical Freeze came out SEVEN years ago. And now it's still probably years before we get to play Prime 4. So many wasted years in between... As a fan it's been rough times.
I would love to see all the canned prototypes and green lit projects that Retro has gone through over the last decade or so. Makes me wonder what's been going wrong over there.

Fredrik

I always wanted them to continue the Returns serie to both Super Metroid and Zelda 2. Would’ve been the perfect fit and would’ve been awesome.

Plan B, give the IPs to Lizardcube (Streets of Rage 4, Dragon’s Trap)

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
There must have been some internal issues and canceled projects. Tropical Freeze came out SEVEN years ago. And now it's still probably years before we get to play Prime 4. So many wasted years in between... As a fan it's been rough times.
This is a concern of mine. Time is going by very quickly. So many missed opportunities and even if they start now, it will be years before the products we want get delivered, and then there’s a chance that the product won’t meet expectations.

Bragr

Banned
Rumours said they were making some kart racer with Donkey Kong or some new Diddy Kong racer or whatever after Tropical Freeze, but it wasn't good enough and they scrapped it and got back to working on Metroid Prime instead once Bandai Namco botched it.

SkylineRKR

Retro used to be a mess, until Miyamoto visited them, slapped them around and they delivered Metroid Prime.

I guess they're back to what they were. Perhaps Miyamoto should slap them again.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
They’re working on one of Nintendo’s biggest IPs after years of obscurity making sidecrolling donkey Kong. Chill.

Top Bottom