• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Restaurant JRPG Mystia's Izakaya released for the Switch

Guilty_AI

Released on Steam back in 2021 to overwhelmingly positive reviews, since adding 6 DLCs with extra characters, locations, recipes and story content, last week the cooking jrpg finally made its way to the Nintendo Switch.

In the game you play as Mystia, a Youkai running an Izakaya in the mystical land of Gensokyo, from the touhou universe. The game is sectioned in days, with each passing one progressing the story and possibly bringing in new events. These days are separated into daytime and nighttime. The day part consists of gathering ingredients, talking to other characters, exploring the map and getting new quests, with most actions consuming a part of your "time". During the night you run your restaurant, making the due preparations beforehand and attenting to your costumers.

///

This game has no OT here (or any related thread for that matter), so i decided to create this one now that it released for the Nintendo Switch. I've played quite a bit of it and i think its a very chill game, perfect to be played in short bursts, going through one or two game-days per session. Ideal for a handheld like the Switch (or steam deck). Also, don't worry about it being a shared universe, you can go in blind and won't have problems understanding the story and events, at most missing some references.

Here's the link for the steam version in case anyone is interested.

In case you're intimidated by the amount of DLCs, know that the entire package still only costs $22, and it certainly provides more than enough for that price.

Also, a big shoutout for the soundtrack:

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
mum-mumprobs.gif

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Nice, a game to put my 4070 Super to the test.

Looks nice, but I have to draw the line and state that this is waaaay too weeb for me lol.

That said, I'm amazed at this community, they keep putting out cool looking games like this, Luna Nights or the more recent Artificial Dream in Arcadia

This is for little girls, right?
It's for based individuals.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally never got in to Touhou games, I'm still not sure what they are....I think they are started as bullet hell shoot 'em up that was created by one person.

Guilty_AI

I personally never got in to Touhou games, I'm still not sure what they are....I think they are started as bullet hell shoot 'em up that was created by one person.
Originally started as bullet hell games as you said, but due to a combination of cool music, cool character design, early internet and the fact the original creator lets people make use the IP rather freely - from fangames to mangas and music - the community around it grew to autistic levels.

So basically a lot of the games and works you see, like this one, are just doujinshis utilizing the IP rather than something coordinated by ZUN (the creator).

These fan-made works usually utilize characters, setting, lore and the main series musical themes to create the games, not necessarely being bullet hell games. The lore itself is also very loose, mainly revolving around settings, characters and their roles more than specific events. Makes it very easy for fans to come up with their own stories and plots without having to worry too much about larger contexts.

Whenever you see touhou fanworks like this one, i suggest to simply avaliate them by their own merits rather than try to piece them as part of some larger universe. Same way you treated Granblue Fantasy Relink.

Last edited:

Isa

Thanks for the thread. Put this on my radar when I saw it on the Eshop but wasn't sure. Does it come with all the DLC from the PC version?

Guilty_AI

Thanks for the thread. Put this on my radar when I saw it on the Eshop but wasn't sure. Does it come with all the DLC from the PC version?
yes, they confirmed it:

• Strength
Reactions: Isa

IAmRei

I dont think its for weebs, weebs only touch surface which is trending games. And often free to play or waifu gacha games.

This game have beautiful art btw. And kind of different style with others.

IAmRei

It's not for weebs, its worse. It's for touhou fans.
I never meet touhou fans in real life,, my city is full of weebs, and i was one of community leaders who kickstart otaku pop culture back then in 2006 (before name changes to weebs) and i never once meet touhou fans.

Top Bottom