• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An assessment of non-japanese asian games (single-player)

Guilty_AI

With Stellar Blade approaching, i think it'd be interesting to take a look at the current state of game development in other asian countries besides Japan.

I'll try to bring two released games from multiple eastern asian countries, naturally feel free to show some as well if you know any.

South Korea🇰🇷:
Library-of-Ruina-Consoles_01-17-24.jpg

Library of Ruina

Deck builder game that got fairly popular on Steam along other similar games from the genre. One of the biggest differentiators here however is that the game is heavily story-driven, with many users praising it.

Game also has an amazing soundtrack if i must say.

maxresdefault.jpg

Witchspring R

A JRPG (or should a say KRPG...?) that brings in a lot of elements from Atelier games, like crafting and farming. It was originaly a mobile game but last year made its way to PC last year with upcoming console versions this year.

Taiwan🇹🇼:
NAemCB9AKv6hFMqWO4SGOjLN.jpg

Little Witch Nobeta

Game went viral a few years back as a "loli-souls". Memes aside, its a very good 3D metroidvania game with great magical-based combat, playing like a 3rd person shooter. My only complaint is that the is a bit short and i reeeeally wanted more of it.

c4Boa163pL4hYwlhmoqhwoWS.jpg

Dungeon Munchies

A 2D action game with some unique elements, where you collect ingredients and create a build using the dishes you create along the way. Game has a charming atmosphere, permeated with a dark sense of humor and interesting art.

Its a weird game in general.

China🇨🇳:
00891f2144bede865c7d651079a0fe30f27535d2ca48904e71c12d6e7ff19d20

Bright Memory Infinite

A title that stands out among asian titles, mostly for being a FPS which is kind of a rarity over there, it also mixes within action game elements with swords and special attacks. Opinions on it are somewhat mixed, many like the combat but say it has a few blemishes here and there. Game is also quite short for that matter.

It added a 3rd person mode for the people who can't handle 1st person for one reason or another.

Touhou-Mystias-Izakaya.jpg

Mystia Izakaya

Fan game based off the Touhou series. A game with a unique take of mixing in JRPG elements into a restaurant management sim. During the day you get ingredients, talk with people, maybe do some quests, then at night you open your restaurant where you must attend to costumers in a satisfactory manner. It's a great game to be played in short bursts thanks to the day-to-day system.

And you? Know anything you could share?

Last edited:
With Stellar Blade approaching, i think it'd be interesting to take a look at the current state of game development in other asian countries besides Japan.

Before sharing I wanted to ask if you could elaborate on your request. Do you only want us to list games from this recent generation? Or any generation? Do MMOs count? Do releases that never made it west, count?

Guilty_AI

Before sharing I wanted to ask if you could elaborate on your request. Do you only want us to list games from this recent generation? Or any generation? Do MMOs count? Do releases that never made it west, count?
Recent ones with western releases would be preferable to see where these countries stand today in the world stage of games, though if there are really interesting titles that are older or have no western releases that would be fine too.

I'm speaking strictly single player here though, so no MMOs or Gachas. I know places like China and Korea are big on them but i want to see their industry past those types of games. SP with coop elements are acceptable however.

Last edited:
All the gachas from Mihoyo are single player. Their games are that big in scope only because they monetize via gacha, these two elements cannot be separated.

Same applies to Wuthering Waves or Arknights Endfield.

Recently we have Ex-Astris, a smaller JRPG (non-gacha, mobile only for the time being)

From the ones I've picked up or want to pick up:

China 🇨🇳

Indonesia 🇮🇩

Philippines 🇵🇭

I'll add more later. :p

From the ones mentioned in the OP I've played or have in my collection: Lies of P and Little Witch Nobeta and plan on buying Witchspring R.

Oh and this Korean 🇰🇷 Detroit Become Human will probably be a day 1 buy too:

Last edited:
I wanted to add this metroidvania named Afterimage which was made by the guys at Aurogon Shanghai 🇨🇳. Both critic and user reviews look good so I think I'm going to pick it up as soon as I see a decent deal on the physical.

Crayon

Dave the Diver is korean?!

I find all this very exciting and want to support these devs. I pre purchased my stellar blade disc last night, and not because I'm out of control hype for the game itself, but I want this to continue.

Thanks for the thread. I will be actively seeking these. Tired of Japan having to carry this motherfucker.

Last edited:

I'll try to bring two released games from multiple eastern asian countries, naturally feel free to show some as well if you know any.

South Korea🇰🇷:
Library-of-Ruina-Consoles_01-17-24.jpg

Library of Ruina

Deck builder game that got fairly popular on Steam along other similar games from the genre. One of the biggest differentiators here however is that the game is heavily story-driven, with many users praising it.

Game also has an amazing soundtrack if i must say.

maxresdefault.jpg

Witchspring R

A JRPG (or should a say KRPG...?) that brings in a lot of elements from Atelier games, like crafting and farming. It was originaly a mobile game but last year made its way to PC last year with upcoming console versions this year.

Taiwan🇹🇼:
NAemCB9AKv6hFMqWO4SGOjLN.jpg

Little Witch Nobeta

Game went viral a few years back as a "loli-souls". Memes aside, its a very good 3D metroidvania game with great magical-based combat, playing like a 3rd person shooter. My only complaint is that the is a bit short and i reeeeally wanted more of it.

c4Boa163pL4hYwlhmoqhwoWS.jpg

Dungeon Munchies

A 2D action game with some unique elements, where you collect ingredients and create a build using the dishes you create along the way. Game has a charming atmosphere, permeated with a dark sense of humor and interesting art.

Its a weird game in general.

China🇨🇳:
00891f2144bede865c7d651079a0fe30f27535d2ca48904e71c12d6e7ff19d20

Bright Memory Infinite

A title that stands out among asian titles, mostly for being a FPS which is kind of a rarity over there, it also mixes within action game elements with swords and special attacks. Opinions on it are somewhat mixed, many like the combat but say it has a few blemishes here and there. Game is also quite short for that matter.

It added a 3rd person mode for the people who can't handle 1st person for one reason or another.

Touhou-Mystias-Izakaya.jpg

Mystia Izakaya

Fan game based off the Touhou series. A game with a unique take of mixing in JRPG elements into a restaurant management sim. During the day you get ingredients, talk with people, maybe do some quests, then at night you open your restaurant where you must attend to costumers in a satisfactory manner. It's a great game to be played in short bursts thanks to the day-to-day system.

Thought LoR was Chinese guess I was wrong. Good game tho.

Just stumbled upon this hybrid adventure/VN game made by Sigono, a Taiwanese 🇹🇼 dev.

I've added it to my wishlist, and will be picking it up on sale as it looks like it has very good user reviews on Steam.

I also looked at their upcoming titles and it appears they're currently working on another emotional adventure game titled OPUS: Prism Peak. The dev said it would be like a cross between What Remains of Edith Finch and Makoto Shinkai films.

Last edited:

Senhua

I mainly purchase games on Steam, with 99% of them being Chinese-made (including those from mainland China and Taiwan). I assume you prefer the ones with English subtitles (including those with fan translation patch ):

This is just one of the games I have installed. I actually have around 2-3k games made by Asian developers, primarily from China

Top Bottom