• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: All PS3 Console IDs Leaked, Innocent Consoles Being Banned

ManaByte

Sony reportedly left a folder with every PS3 console ID online unsecured, and it was discovered and reported by a Spanish YouTuber with the handle "The WizWiki" in mid-April... Now, several weeks later, players on PlayStation Network message boards are complaining that they can't sign on and are receiving the error message 8071006. After enabling two-factor authentication (2FA), one player was able to sign back in without issue, according to posts on the PS3 subreddit, which includes a link to instructions on how to opt into 2FA on the PS3.

It appears threat actors have started using the stolen PS3 console IDs for malicious purposes, causing the legitimate players to get banned... Sony has not responded to Threatpost's request for comment or confirmed a connection between the PS3 ID breach and player reports of being locked out of the platform...

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
JJJJJIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Basketball Wives Hair Flip GIF by VH1

kikii

its like go to psnprofiles and theres all ppl ID's or any multiplayer game..what is this for ? :p

wvnative

So long as I have 2FA, I'm good right?

No, this has nothing to do with account security. A list of console IDs (NOT PSN IDs) have leaked, they can ban your PS3 without accessing your account.

The good news is though, your PS4/PS5/Vita, should be fine even if your PS3 got banned.

Too afraid to boot my PS3 to check...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I had this happen to me with my first Xbox 360 way back in the day. It's the first time I got burned on digital purchasing. I bought my 360 at launch, and thought the online digital storefront was pretty cool so I had picked up a few arcade games and some DLC (you couldn't buy full games back then).

Some hack got released online where it was easy for people to guess or infer something like this console ID - I don't know the particulars. Basically someone used a program to randomly generate a console ID that matched my console's identifier, and I woke up one morning to find out I couldn't sign into Xbox Live. I was banned from Xbox Live for 999 years. I contacted Microsoft and they basically told me "you shouldn't have been hacking". There was no way (and still no way) to place my account in good standing. I went back to gaming on PC for the next decade, I didn't trust consoles and online purchases in the least bit after that. Eventually in 2014 I held Microsoft's feet to the fire and jumped through their hoops for legal arbitration. I was seeking damages in the form of money I had spent on digital games and DLC that was no longer accessible - which totaled around $400. Microsoft settled out of court and sent me a check. I'm guessing it was cheaper to pay me off in this case rather than to send a guy to present flimsy evidence to a judge.

So I've learned to trust game consoles and digital storefronts again - mostly out of necessity. I don't want to think how much I've spent on my current Microsoft account, but it's in the thousands of dollars easily. There were probably enough cases like mine that went sideways over the years that most storefronts have a policy now that they'll ban the hardware itself rather than deactivate the user account. Still though, I sympathize with all the innocent users affected by this.

reinking

Gold Member
I had this happen to me with my first Xbox 360 way back in the day. It's the first time I got burned on digital purchasing. I bought my 360 at launch, and thought the online digital storefront was pretty cool so I had picked up a few arcade games and some DLC (you couldn't buy full games back then).

Some hack got released online where it was easy for people to guess or infer something like this console ID - I don't know the particulars. Basically someone used a program to randomly generate a console ID that matched my console's identifier, and I woke up one morning to find out I couldn't sign into Xbox Live. I was banned from Xbox Live for 999 years. I contacted Microsoft and they basically told me "you shouldn't have been hacking". There was no way (and still no way) to place my account in good standing. I went back to gaming on PC for the next decade, I didn't trust consoles and online purchases in the least bit after that. Eventually in 2014 I held Microsoft's feet to the fire and jumped through their hoops for legal arbitration. I was seeking damages in the form of money I had spent on digital games and DLC that was no longer accessible - which totaled around $400. Microsoft settled out of court and sent me a check. I'm guessing it was cheaper to pay me off in this case rather than to send a guy to present flimsy evidence to a judge.

So I've learned to trust game consoles and digital storefronts again - mostly out of necessity. I don't want to think how much I've spent on my current Microsoft account, but it's in the thousands of dollars easily. There were probably enough cases like mine that went sideways over the years that most storefronts have a policy now that they'll ban the hardware itself rather than deactivate the user account. Still though, I sympathize with all the innocent users affected by this.
Man.. ..that sucks. I have never been banned on a console and I suppose if my PS3 gets banned at this point I will be fine. However, if it was a current console and account I am not sure I could ever go back to trusting that company again.

As for the PS3 IDs. Again, it sucks for those impacted. I hope Sony can find a solution for those impacted but it is unlikely they will.

reinking

Gold Member
After enabling two-factor authentication (2FA), one player was able to sign back in without issue, according to posts on the PS3 subreddit, which includes a link to instructions on how to opt into 2FA on the PS3.
This might be overblown a bit (not by you ManaByte ManaByte but the link). After going to the PS3 sub it appears the issue this person was having was not related to the leak at all. I am of the opinion if someone has to embellish something to make their point stronger they are already using weak evidence. I am not okay if only a few PS3 users are impacted by this but I am also not seeing a widespread issue even after doing a search for "ban" on the PS3 sub. One of the bigger threads there was a three day ban. It looked more like an account hack and not a console ban.

Sony really needs to speak up and confirm this one way or another.

Last edited:
This might be overblown a bit (not by you ManaByte ManaByte but the link). After going to the PS3 sub it appears the issue this person was having was not related to the leak at all. I am of the opinion if someone has to embellish something to make their point stronger they are already using weak evidence. I am not okay if only a few PS3 users are impacted by this but I am also not seeing a widespread issue even after doing a search for "ban" on the PS3 sub. One of the bigger threads there was a three day ban. It looked more like an account hack and not a console ban.

Sony really needs to speak up and confirm this one way or another.
Wait a second. I just bothered to click the link. Theres literally zero proof but some random website referring to a random youtuber. And the reddit post has nothing to do with being banned.

HF2014

Im expecting freebies games for a 2nd time Sony. My console better be not banned... will look later...

Rayderism

So I turned on my PS3 to see if it got banned or whatever.....first thing it did was insist on a firmware update, so waiting on that at the moment.

.......still waiting........

OK, everything seems fine, logged in no problem.

RaySoft

I've had mine on 2fa for years. Hope my two systems are fine.
two factor is for securing your PSN profile, this leak was for PS3's hardware ID's, nothing to do with profile.
IF all PS3 hardware id's are leaked, hackers can spoof your ID, so it looks like your PS3 is doing whatever fishy they are doing. Whenever one ID is banned, they simply spoof another ID from the list. So even if your console isn't banned now, it can be in the future. It all depends on if your ID is on that list and someone spoofing it for malicious activity or not.

Last edited:
I've got my PS3 up and running and not banned, thank god. If I got got banned and they refused to reverse it, I would probably go nuclear.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
This is all 2011 over again.
Except we might not get any free games this time around.
I begin to think this is the reason why Sony hesitates things like cross play, supporting all hardware etc.

Literally nothing about this is true.

First reaction is always denial.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
What’s a PS3? ;)

Scared to turn my launch console on in case it’s dead :(

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Given there were 80m+ PS3's sold, the likelihood of your console ID getting used is pretty miniscule I imagine just due to the tyranny of numbers.

Also, that being the case I question the likelihood of a "spate of console bannings". Given I'd hazard the overwhelming majority of PS3's will be idle at this point in time, what are the odds that the ID's allegedly being used correspond to those still in active use?

Last edited:
Top Bottom