• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie Fils-Aimé Appointed to GameStop Board of Directors

Maestr0

That's a surprise for sure. May be he want to kick some ass and take names again

Last edited:

Mass Shift

Wow Reggie, did you pick this out of the classifieds under "Dead End Jobs?"

Highway-Line-Painters-Dead-End-Job--116290.jpg

Meesh

It's possible Reggie adds more value to the brand.
I'd even venture his gaming background will probably help in the direction they need. He probably views this an opportunity and challenge to turn things around.
It's easy I'm sure to take a position with a company that's doing well enough, but to turn things around when the Titanic is sinking... that's notable.

FStubbs

It doesn't mean a lot. When you're rich, you often end up on the boards of several companies, sometimes even competitors.

Reggie just shows up to the board meeting and go like "your company's fucked, but thanks for the paycheck though!"

Unless he cleans house in upper management (unlikely since I doubt he would have that power), gamestop is a sinking ship.

jts

...hate me...
Hmmm... they made it seem like it was some sort of retirement move when he left Nintendo, but if he's still willing to put in work at GameSpot of all places, maybe there's something more juicy in his Nintendo departure. New management didn't like him or the ideas just didn't match. Anyway we'll probably never know.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Well... He has helped turn Nintendo around, twice!

Back in 03 when he first came in, Nintendo had very low morale. And he helped change that.

I don't think they would have done it without him.

Kdad

Director Compensation In fiscal 2017, total compensation for each non-employee director was set at $280,000, which consisted of a $140,000 cash retainer and a restricted stock grant valued at approximately $140,000 which vests after one year. For the fiscal year ended February 2, 2019 (“fiscal 2018”), the compensation structure for each non-employee director will remain consistent with the fiscal 2017 director compensation structure. We reimburse our directors for expenses in connection with attendance at Board and committee meetings.

According to their annual report they meet once a month and must attend 75% of meetings.

Also...Shane Kim is on the board (ex MS involved in X360 and currently also on board of SCUF Gaming)

Last edited:

Quasicat

That’s actually really smart. He fails and, as a board member knows the right time to bail, to make a huge amount of money or he succeeds and is seen as a hero and makes a huge amount of money.

McRazzle

Hmmm... they made it seem like it was some sort of retirement move when he left Nintendo, but if he's still willing to put in work at GameSpot of all places, maybe there's something more juicy in his Nintendo departure. New management didn't like him or the ideas just didn't match. Anyway we'll probably never know.
I wondered about this when he gave his retirement announcement, he said Doug Bowser had a strong relationship with President Furukawa.

Having worked at Nintendo all these years, I'm sure he has plenty of experience when it comes to being behind the times, which should make him a perfect fit for this position.

A lot of people in this thread are missing the big picture. Reggie is loved and no matter what happens to games top, he won't be blamed or held accountable.

If, in say, two years, Games top goes bust, Reggie will be paid a phat sack of cash, an apology and a golden parachute to sail to wherever he wants to.

Reggie knows this company is going South, that's why he wants in; to go off the rails on this gravy train.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A lot of people in this thread are missing the big picture. Reggie is loved and no matter what happens to games top, he won't be blamed or held accountable.

If, in say, two years, Games top goes bust, Reggie will be paid a phat sack of cash, an apology and a golden parachute to sail to wherever he wants to.

Reggie knows this company is going South, that's why he wants in; to go off the rails on this gravy train.
Yup. That happens ALL THE TIME with companies on the brink. But I don't think Gamestop is that bad of shape. It's not like a dead Sears kind of store..... at least not yet.

If someone has cash and a risk taker in this down market, throw some bucks into GME and hope for a $1-2 rebound and get out.

Unless Reggie can pull off a miracle, most companies who are desperate like this never turn it around.

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

Maybe he can turn them around. First thing I'd do is stop gutting new copies of games to sell them as "new". Stop hounding every custormer to preorder a game or subscribe to PRO membership. Give more value when trading stuff in. Getting $5 for a PS4 game isn't it.

Some consoles don't give you much in trade either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom