• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall, Suicide Squad and other Coop/GaaS games that nobody asked for. Who’s next to crash and burn?

Yoboman

Danger 5 Laughing GIF

This aint it

Factions was amazing (despite the pay-to-win weapons and skills).

Uncharted 2 was already amazing. Actually, all the ND games had amazing multiplayer modes.

They suffered a bit with Uncharted 3 and TLOU because at the time companies were figuring out how to monetize multiplayer games properly, but those days are long gone.

Sony and others are developing multiple GAAS games because they only need one to succeed to generate tons of cash, even if the other games fails. It's worth it.

And while developing GAAS games they are also developing singleplayer experiences like Spider-man 2, so, no biggie

The problem is when a company focus 90-100% of their output in GAAS games like Ubisoft these days
Good chance they'll screw up monetisation again

L*][*N*K

Banned
Could see it. Lot of question marks there

I think it will be more on the multiplayer front than coop though and Factions has a fanbase
Sony is publishing 10 GaaS games by 2026, The Last of Us is the first of that bunch, do you think Sony will put Naughty Dog on a AAA-Last of Us project and have it to be a "Fun for the first weekend" kind of project? no they will milk that cow until Ol' Betsy runs dry

Pigenator

Gotta love the Sony fanboys, do you people realize you are in a cult?
wow what a thoughtful comment.
So saying anything that isn't completely negative on a PS exclusive game instantly means I'm a fanboy? Jesus that's dumb

Naughty Dog is an accomplished developer, and they're working on TLOU factions 2 for almost a decade now. Not sure what's so incomprehensible about what I've said.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
So saying anything that isn't completely negative on a PS exclusive game instantly means I'm a fanboy? Jesus that's dumb

Naughty Dog is an accomplished developer, and they're working on TLOU factions 2 for almost a decade now. Not sure what's so incomprehensible about what I've said.
Arkane was acomplished developer. Rocksteady was acomplished developer. Bioware was acomplished developer. Cristal Dynamics was acomplished developer. All of them failed trying to take part of epic and bungie cake.
GaaS is poison for game design. Literally every good GaaS game is good in spite of being GaaS and would be better game any other way.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Literally every good GaaS game is good in spite of being GaaS and would be better game any other way.
Doc Brown GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Bring back traditional multiplayer games. GaaS just fucks over games and dilutes artistic vision. We're better off without it

Destiny 2 would be so much better as a paid product with 0 MTX, all expansions being free, & no planets were removed. Not to mention the campaign works as a singleplayer and not just multi either

Xyphie

• Ubisoft games
  • Exoprimal
  • Most GaaS-style games out of Japan that are trying to appeal to Western audiences really.
  • Sony GaaS games that try to be "me-too" projects in genres with well-established competitors (i.e. Sony battle royale, Sony competitive FPS, Sony autobattler etc).
  • Stormgate, no one cares about Starcraft-style RTS.

Last edited:

SEGA_2012

from the people who brought us prey. so sad

also lets not forget marvels avengers! could have had something awesome, went for the cash
Prey was made by Arkane, no ? Hyenas is made by Creative Assembly, they made Alien Isolation, Total War, etc.

L*][*N*K

Banned

How long did your boner lasted when you saw Redfall’s Metacritic score? You know if it lasts more than four hours you should go to the emergency room, could be dangerous.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Redfall isn't even a real GaaS title, it's a bit of a kitchen sink title, which seems to be part of the problem. It does a lot of things and none of them especially well.

HTK

Banned
The Last of Us Multiplayer Project.
Don't say that LOL

I have high hopes but I feel like I'll be disappointed. I liked the original TLOU Factions but this new one looks like a massive departure from the simplicity of the original one. I hope they get it right, they've certainly been working on it for a long time now.

Twisted metal: live service electric bugaloo edition. and whatever that crap Jade Raymond thinks is supposed to set the world on fire. have no confidence in the last of factions or whatever the frack it’s become now.

rushgore

Have you played The Last of Us multi-player on PS4?
With the The Last of Us Part 2 gameplay mechanics, ain't no way that game is going to flop.

Those gameplay mechanics mixed in with a battle royal mode with the Infected/Spores as the circle would easily make this a top tier multi-player game.

Not to mention a Co-op mode.
Now that you mentioned battle royale, I agree that it would be amazing with TLOU2 animations and stealth mechanics

Fbh

Is Redfall actually a GAAS? I watched a couple of reviews and it just looks like a bland and half broken coop shooter but I didn't see any compelling end game or anything to really stick around after you have beaten the story.
Either way on topic the next one will be Exoprimal, looks like a game that people will play for like a month and then move on. Also IMO they've doomed it by making it PVP because once the community dies the game will be dead for good. Had they made it a regular co-op game like Vermintide, EDF or Left4Dead it could at least have had legs.

As somebody who played factions on ps3 and ps4. No.

simpsons___barney_hook_it_to_my_veins.jpg

I just hope there's a regular PVP mode inspired by the original and that's completely detached from any PVE content.
I loved Factions on Ps3 and just want more of that. If I have to go do boring repetitive missions to farm "lengendary/exotic" weapon which are necesarity to stay competitive in PVP I'm out.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No, that's not true across the board. Several Gaas games have outright failed, some people just don't want to admit it.
Several non GAAS games have outright failed too. Focusing on anecdotal evidence while ignoring larger data trends is a fools folly.

The trend you should be looking at is revenue, profits, and popularity of GAAS games over the last 10 - 15 years in relation to traditionally priced games... GAAS, on the whole, has become the dominant model. It's also growing at a steady clip each year while the non GAAS model has largely stagnated/plateaued.

What y'all GAAS haters should be focusing on is what the traditional model needs to do to compete again. Coasting while the competition has their pedal to the metal isn't great race strategy.

Wildebeest

Devs have seen the data of younger people not playing single player games and don't want to become dinosaurs making games for people aged 40+ only.

Aenima

The Last of Us Multiplayer Project.
Thats the one with biggest probability of success. TLOU multiplayer was great, only ruinined later when they added pay to win DLC.

From the upcoming games, im not seeing anything that looks like a turd as Redfall looked since the 1st trailer. Im sure a good amount of still to be revealed GAAS games will crash and burn.

Shubh_C63

Sony's first AAA MP game made by ND and people think there's a slight chance it might be bad ?

I am not gonna touch that game ever but it will be a moderate to strong success.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I wasn't the one making a blanket statement, now was I?

Oh, when I said "GAAS is out competing everything on the market for a reason"...I wasn't suggesting that every GAAS title succeeds and every non GAAS title fails. I was referring to the success of the model on the whole.

I should have made that clearer.

Aenima

Devs have seen the data of younger people not playing single player games and don't want to become dinosaurs making games for people aged 40+ only.
Does that data included GoW Ragnarok 11 million sales in just a few months? Or Elden Ring 20 million?

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Hyenas and Exoprimal are the only ones that come to mind right now. Only difference is that I've heard decent/good things about Exoprimal, whereas with Hyenas, nothing at all. I tested Hyenas, and thought it was abysmal, honestly. Just the overall aesthetic and vibe of the game was a bit much, and it wasn't really.... fun?

I don't think the TLOU Faction game will fail, and I'm by no means a fanboy. I just feel like they're approaching that with a LOT of caution. I figure the worst thing that could happen is that it's mediocre. Or that it comes out and is monetized poorly, but then things change after feedback, etc.

Wildebeest

Does that data included GoW Ragnarok 11 million sales in just a few months? Or Elden Ring 20 million?
Dad of War is going to become Grandpa of War and you will still be complaining about how those new types of games are annoying and need to get off your lawn.

Lupin25

Almost every dev is feeling the heat pursuing success in GAAS at this point…
With every AAA release the genre’s dying out.
That makes:

BioWare - Anthem
Bethesda - Fallout 76
Square-Enix - Marvel’s The Avengers
DICE - Battlefield 2042
i343 - Halo Infinite
Ubisoft - Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint, Rainbow Six Extraction
WB Games - Let’s just say Gotham Knights lol
Rocksteady - Soon to be Suicide Squad…
Arkane - Redfall

As almost complete failures.

Even Epic/Rockstar have fucked up at times with RDR online and Rumbleverse. There’s just not a lot of creative concepts or gameplay elements currently out there.

What’s worse is the exorbitant amount of dev time funded toward them.
Now we wait what, another 4-5 years for the next attempt?

Overall, pretty weird times we’re living in.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'll just note that GaaS games have been around for a long time, decades in fact. Some have been and continue to be very successful. The problem you're referring to is shitty GaaS games that no one asked for, and born from franchises or developers that players expected something different from. IMO.

Last edited:

Beechos

Sadly they were probably forced to do this their games do not sell and were probably hoping to catch lighting in a bottle with this.

Riky

$MSFT
Redfall isn't even GAAS, it has no store and not even online matchmaking. It's just a single player game where you can play co-op.

StereoVsn

The issue is that GaaS games demand a lot of ongoing "engagement" from their customers. Hence most folks will only play 1 or 2 at most.

New GaaS games will also have to compete with already released GaaS titles for that same attention span. Yes, there are different genres, but that's still not enough.

Flabagast

Factions will not fail I think but it sure is a waste of everybody's time, pushing back the next true ND title by 2 to 3 years.

mdkirby

I very much doubt factions will fail. The first was apparently great. This one, from their statements suggest they have tried to blend it with their narrative storytelling with a huge story, which will probably get even me to play it and I almost never play multiplayer.

Between the success of the games and series they have a sizable baked in audience. They’d need to really screw up for it to fail. It’s an older audience too so people have more £££ to spend on shit, and avoids some of the recent regulation that’s been hitting companies hard on microtransactions and kids.

They will 100% have a fair few failures tho out of the games they are making. They’ve said they are aiming each game at different audiences so as to not cannibalise users.

Bungees next game will likely be successful too.

The inevitable twisted metal? Good candidate for failure. But might succeed.

The fails are more likely to come from their new acquisitions with largely untested teams working on new IP.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Im not sure why people still beleive in Jade Raymond.
So my bet is whatever Haven Studios puts out.....doesnt set the world ablaze.

Jade-Raymond-Haven-scaled.jpg

FrcyEj_X0AAEJMd.jpg

Last edited:
How in the world this was green light?

I hope to be wrong, but these 2 games do not inspire me confidence that will do good on reviews or sales.

Top Bottom