• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall’s environmental artists have earned my respect

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So I’m playing the trainwreck, although I’m late to the wreckage - so it’s been updated a bit since the intial diarrhea clogged toilet bowls everywhere.

First and foremost I’m going to be honest - I’m legit enjoying it more than Deathloop. It’s still dumb - but it’s dumb fun. Performance is absolute silky smooth for me, so that right there ups my enjoyment. Nice clicky clacky sound bites when I pick shit up and play with my guns. This does have some Arkane DNA in terms of sounds and feel.

Anyways let’s get to the point of this thread. The little suburban town - I’m liking it so far. Best suburban town ever? I don’t know man, but it’s nice.

But the real crème de la crème is this right here.

9AtrvmY.jpg

That my friends is a Weber Master Touch. A fantastic charcoal grill and smoker, that’s been modeled exactly like the real thing. They could’ve taken the lazy way out like other artists, and left the ash catcher off - but they didn’t. The ash catcher is there as well as the handle. The little deflector on the handle is there. It’s a little cartoony, but it’s perfect. They could’ve made it black like every other lazy artist, but they didn’t. They went with a beautiful blue that was a limited edition color.

So right there, someone on that Arkane team is a smoker fan. They’ve smoked some meat and no matter how dumb the game is - they’ve earned my respect. Whomever you are artist, you rock. You did your part.

I’d like to imagine the person in Redfall that owns this fine charcoal grill is still smoking his meats regardless of a vampire takeover. Why? Because we don’t stop for anything.

Anyways great job Arkane employee. Whatever I smoke next is dedicated to you my brother in meat.

Dane

This game has a very jarring detail gap between interiors and open world, almost as if the latter was a last minute addition.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The game has terrible graphics most of the time.

When you start the game coming out of the ship in the port you got water waves frozen in time and the worst looking cars ever.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
And people wonder why leaks are always blurry off screen shots.
When Gaffers in the know with the hardware and software right in front of them also do off screen shots.

nemiroff

Gold Member
So in short, game is absolutely fugly but the bbqs are nice.
What you talking about, it looked like your typical "kinda outdated but still serviceable" Arkane game. Problem wasn't looks but the horrendous technical performance. /beating dead horses

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Obviously an artist loves grills, which is cool, but one of the main criticisms was how inconsistent it was. Like how the chimneys were just squares attached to the roof, you look inside and you see the roof.

I'll never understand the hate for Deathloop. I thought it was amazing. I need to give this one another shot

Did you play Mooncrash? it's like Deathloop but better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
What you talking about, it looked like your typical "kinda outdated but still serviceable" Arkane game. Problem wasn't looks but the horrendous technical performance. /beating dead horses
I mean, we’ve all seen the cars with hexagon wheels and stuff. Has nothing to do with tech performance, its just butt ugly + technical performance issues.

ahtlas7

There is also a grill like that in Starfield. believe it is the same model. I don’t recall where but thought it odd they would have a freaking grill on a future planet.

Last edited:
Obviously an artist loves grills, which is cool, but one of the main criticisms was how inconsistent it was. Like how the chimneys were just squares attached to the roof, you look inside and you see the roof.

Did you play Mooncrash? it's like Deathloop but better.
No I didn't, just the main Prey story which was amazing.

Rockman33

Just finished it. Some really good things in it. Specifically the ambience and set up. Graphics at times also look really great. (Great use of HDR) overall though it just not that good/fun to play

poodaddy

The fire emote was made for you OP. I gotta respect your passion for smoking. It's so specific and identifying that it's endearing to your character, power to ya.

DaGwaphics

The town and ambience are 100 % Arkane DNA

The setting, the mood, even the basic story itself are all on point. The game had the bones to be special, unfortunately being a repurposed GaaS multi-player game left its mark.

Maybe they can right the ship with an expansion though, the game on a technical level is certainly running a lot better now.

Top Bottom