• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Reddit] Documentary on 'TotalBiscuit' (John Bain) to coincide after one year of passing

#Phonepunk#

Banned
We all did or said stupid shit. He’s gone now, let it go.

otm. joking about cancer is a pretty common thing too. not gonna really blame anyone cos it's pretty much out of your control whether you get it or not. cancer sucks and will strike anybody out of nowhere when you least expect it.

last year i found out i had cancer, luckily it's a blood cancer, something in my body is over producing hemoglobin, so i have an oxygen deficiency in my blood. it is due to a gene mutation i have that is very rare (and thankfully not hereditary). basically my blood is too thick, which makes my heart work overtime to push it. this means i have to get a phlebotomy, which is basically just taking out blood, and forcing the body to produce new, fresher, good blood.

monday they took out 500ccs and next monday they are taking out another 500ccs, and every week until they get my levels to where they want them. i go into a room where they give treatments and there are tons of lazy boy chairs with patients in them getting various things like chemo. it takes about 20 mins and destroys my arm. there is a bell they ring whenever someone has finished treatment so hearing that gives you hope.

they say that as long as i get my bloodletting i can live a normal full healthy life. it isn't entirely the death sentence it once was, but my heart goes out to anyone who has to deal w it.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
that is happening when we eat crap with chemicals,in the moment we don't consider it ,but 80-90% that is in our food today is poison,so it depends how your body reacts to it and how resistant will be,as we can see the age when we die lowered a lot,to 50-60 ,and every time is because of some kind of disease,and that's because of what we are eating

You are so full of shit, mate.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Should individuals like TB be celebrated?
No. He was a terrible person from everything I've gathered but the dude is dead so no point in pissing on his grave.

Fuz

Banned
He was a terrible person from everything I've gathered
No, he fucking wasn't.

He was one of the - now extinct species - of journalists with work ethics. He was always pro-consumer. He was good at what he did, extremely good. Informative and on point.
And just because he used the "wished cancer" to someone (which is not truly wishing cancer to someone, just a more brutal way to say "go fuck yourself" - like you guys never did anything worse than that) doesn't make him a bad person.

I'm not shitting on him but I won't praise him either.

Then what in the flying f*ck are you doing in this thread? Sometimes, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. We certainly don't need somebody like you, who thinks his own virtue-signaling is more important than the tragic death of others, telling us who we can appreciate or not.

TB was not without fault, just like any other human being on this planet, but he did a lot for the gaming community. Much more than you will ever do. So, who are you, miserably trying to elevate yourself through hollow moral posturing like an elitist prick? You really think you're being virtuous with your silly behavior?

You're the one trying to sh*t all over somebody's legacy, making grand assumptions about a person's character you know nothing about over a frikkin' tweet! Yet for some strange reason you think you're doing a moral good by cautioning others from watching an innocuous documentary about a beloved gaming personality that met a tragic end. Whatever little internet drama you think is justifying your petty behavior, rest assured that TB, despite his flaws, was never so small-minded and tactless as you.

And you think of yourself as better than TB? GTFO!

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
No, he fucking wasn't.

He was one of the - now extinct species - of journalists with work ethics. He was always pro-consumer. He was good at what he did, extremely good. Informative and on point.
And just because he used the "wished cancer" to someone (which is not truly wishing cancer to someone, just a more brutal way to say "go fuck yourself" - like you guys never did anything worse than that) doesn't make him a bad person.
Then what in the flying f*ck are you doing in this thread? Sometimes, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. We certainly don't need somebody like you, who thinks his own virtue-signaling is more important than the tragic death of others, telling us who we can appreciate or not.

TB was not without fault, just like any other human being on this planet, but he did a lot for the gaming community. Much more than you will ever do. So, who are you miserably trying to elevate yourself through hollow moral posturing like an elitist prick? You really think you're being virtuous with your silly behavior?

You're the one trying to sh*t all over somebody's legacy, making grand assumptions about a person's character you know nothing about over a frikkin' tweet! Yet for some strange reason you think you're doing a moral good by cautioning others from watching an innocuous documentary about a beloved gaming personality that met a tragic end. How incredibly petty and small-minded.

And you think of yourself as better than TB? GTFO!
I'm lost here. Maybe I confused him with somebody else and if I did then I was wrong. But what did he do? Gaming community?

I always liked TB. He was among the first gaming Internet personalities I subscribed to. Loved the WTF series.

Never really got into the minutiae of his personality until GamerGate, at which point I kind of moved on from him.

For as smart a guy he was, the amount of stupid with which he waded into GG is astounding in retrospect.

It is his legacy, which is kind of sad.

Fuz

Banned
I'm lost here. Maybe I confused him with somebody else and if I did then I was wrong. But what did he do? Gaming community?
Excellent journalist, for starters.

I think that the retardera crowd repeated so many times he was an horrible person that people started believing it without knowing why.
For as smart a guy he was, the amount of stupid with which he waded into GG is astounding in retrospect.
And here is it, another proof.

He said that there was a problem with gaming journalism, but he never condoned the harassment.
But saying that there was a problem with the gaming press (and we all know THERE IS) was enough for the most retarded SJWs to group him up with the worst gamergate harassers. And they repeated it so many times that you guys ended up believing it.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I never heard of him until the "are traps gay" incident and his battle with terminal cancer though. But I'll take your word as I don't usually follow youtube people and know nothing of WoW.

And here is it, another proof.

He said that there was a problem with gaming journalism, but he never condoned the harassment.
But saying that there was a problem with the gaming press (and we all know THERE IS) was enough for the most retarded SJWs to group him up with the worst gamergate harassers. And they repeated it so many times that you guys ended up believing it.

It became a litmus test for intelligence and motivation very early on.

He chose to fight the narrative rather than distance himself, and history does not reflect kindly on him for it.

Fuz

Banned
It became a litmus test for intelligence and motivation very early on.

He chose to fight the narrative rather than distance himself, and history does not reflect kindly on him for it.
So... he did the right thing, going against the current, and he had been punished for it.

Yeah, I only have respect for that man. We need more like him, both on a journalist standpoint and on an ethic standpoint.

So... he did the right thing, going against the current, and he had been punished for it.

Yeah, I only have respect for that man. We need more like him, both on a journalist standpoint and on an ethic standpoint.

Did the right thing as in fight for ethics in game journalism because it's just that damn important?

I don't know. When it became clear that GG was never ever going to about that, he just doubled down.

I never heard of him until the "are traps gay" incident and his battle with terminal cancer though.

So your whole assertion that he was a "terrible person" was based on that one piece of stupid internet drama where he lost his cool?

I still remember TB from when he was a no-name who posted on the RPS forums. He's kinda been pioneering youtube/video gaming critique & reviews, made waves in gaming culture and was a key figure in the gaming community. His extensive reviews were always on point and not only covered gameplay, but also went in-depth on a number of technical aspects that was quite uncommon at that time.

He always had the consumers in mind by putting a spotlight on certain business aspects behind the curtains of the gaming industry and kept a watchful eye on shady business practices in order to keep his viewers informed. Everything he did was for gamers and he fought hard against business practices that didn't have our best interests at heart. He was one of the most powerful voices of consumer advocacy among the gaming community.

During his time as a game reviewer, TB advocated for quality games journalism and honest reviews and he practiced what he preached by being more transparent than most other games journalists. He was one of the first to uncover the unethical business practices behind many paid youtube reviews and spearheaded the common practice to disclose paid-for videos.

He held PC games accountable for the lack of FOV sliders, adequate settings and menu options, shady ports, crappy micro-transactions and 30fps locks. He was also an e-sports commentator and team manager. His wife and him did a lot to promote e-sports and he was the first non-player to be introduced to the Esports hall of fame. TB won numerous awards, including Fan's Choice at The Game Awards in 2014. He was a stout supporter of indie games and gave them a lot of much needed coverage, most noticeably Warframe.

His tragic death triggered a lot of support among the gaming community:

...the list of eulogies is frikkin' endless.

He was a strong defender of net neutrality, did a lot of charitable work, supported indie developers, was an inspiration for many youtube reviewers today and held gaming journalism accountable for its ethical practices. When TB battled cancer, he went down a hero, not only as a gaming enthusiast but also in life and death he gave his all.

Last edited:
Ok, got it. You're ashamed of your game.
Not in the least. I’m extremely proud of my work, I loved working on it, and I worked under someone I respected a lot, which was awesome. But this thread isn’t about me, and I’m not here representing the game. I’m here to shitpost and chew bubblegum, and I’ve got a whole lot of bubblegum. I tried being internet famous before and I didn’t care for it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
So your whole assertion that he was a "terrible person" was based on that one piece of stupid internet drama where he lost his cool?
Yes. See this makes sense. I don't follow any of that. In fact most people I know didn't know about him until he got cancer and how he hated being criticized despite being a critic. Everything you listed is new to me. If the guy reached out to your gaming community that is great specially the people that play Warframe and WoW I bet, Didn't even know about his net neutrality stance despite following on that either. Thanks for the info.

somerset

Hero worship is not good. Be careful *not* to full into that trap with your fav youtubers.

I think more non-brits liked TB, for non-brits love the 'accent'- yet cannot pick up the nuances that native speakers can. I must admit I couldn't get past his 'smarminess'.

When you are a pro-critic, you, by definition, frequently piss all over the work of a lot of hardworking individuals. It's the nature of the beast. Which is why i can *never* get the hero worship of paid critics. They are useful, of course- and when we find a critic whose tastes *seem* to match our own, a shortcut in the purchasing process.

But *anyone* well paid to say "x is good" or "x is crap" is going to sometimes or *often* happily hurt a ton of people who helped make that thing- and yet not care about the impact cos of the juicy wonga the critic makes for his/her words. And that is a very amoral (google the word if you don't know the diff between amoral and immoral) career choice.

TB had the right to make a good living doing what he did. He had a right to his own strong opinions, well founded or not. But no paid critic is a person of significance. Or do you really think *you* need a person to do your thinking for you?

A *lot* of game devs think youtube critics leech of their own created content- are they are right. We call this 'fair use' legally- but all too often it is a case that those that cannot making a living of those that can. The 99% case with journalism in general. I would argue a game critic like ACG approaches that 1%, but most are in that 99%. And then they use the usual tactic of *demagogy* (you may wish to look that up too).

Here's the sad thing. When a *paid* youtuber (and making money from ads/sponsorship etc still counts as paid) sez an audience pleasing thing (like "I hate lootboxes"), it is more than likely that said personality does *not* hold this view themselves- but judges it plays well with the dumb-dumb section of their audience. And this conclusion drawn from things like prior comments and/or emails.

None of this would matter a damn if people were smart enough to never hero worship. I expect successful people to be 99% cynical amoral bastards playing to the crowd. But when a large chunk of the crowd sez "wow- you're a good guy mate- ever think of running for president?" I despair.

I hope TB's family and friends love and honour his memory. But to suggest he was a person of importance in a greater sense... Nobody needs a well paid mouthpiece to identify what is wrong with Big Gaming. Every gamer with an IQ above 85 already knows what is what, and they deserved to be listened to and respected.

Indeed when you give power to paid journos, you give power to big gaming, for far, far, far more paid journos will be *owned* by big gaming than will be owned by you.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
All i can say is they compared him to adolf hitler.
That site is as fucking toxic as it can get.
Fuck every single person on that forum.
They made this person a mod.
All that needs to be said about that place.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
No. He was a terrible person from everything I've gathered but the dude is dead so no point in pissing on his grave.
giphy.gif

Should individuals like TB be celebrated?

The only numbskulls that are praising TotalBiscuit's death are:

- Political Idelogues in the gaming community who have a victimhood complex (This includes REEESetERA)
- Gamedevs that got salty that TotalBiscuit criticized them
- r/GamerGhazi and r/GamingCirclejerk Redditors (As they'll do anything to own the "gaymurs")
- Console fanboys who are either braindead or intentionally malicious to defend crappy practices

Which one of these are you?

Last edited:
Now Up

Added to OP as well

Thanks for posting, I really enjoyed the documentary. It mostly stayed away from the silly internet drama and focused on TB as a person and what motivated him to do what he did. It's not quite as polished as I would have expected and it could have gone into a little bit more detail here and there, but the video was a work of appreciation and had a lot of heart. Especially the ending was really heartfelt.

It certainly does reflect TB's essence very well, as he was never a polished public persona, but a gamer at heart. He wore his heart on his sleeve and that's what you got, just a dude with a passion for gaming sharing his unadulterated opinions. I find it hard to believe that people are getting up in arms over this. Give it a watch, it's really quite humble and comes from a perspective of legit appreciation.

In this day and age of constant strife, I'd say we need more of that good stuff.

MrS

Banned
The only numbskulls that are praising TotalBiscuit's death are:

- Political Idelogues in the gaming community who have a victimhood complex (This includes REEESetERA)
- Gamedevs that got salty that TotalBiscuit criticized them
- r/GamerGhazi and r/GamingCirclejerk Redditors (As they'll do anything to own the "gaymurs")
- Console fanboys who are either braindead or intentionally malicious to defend crappy practices

Which one of these are you?
Does one either have to tear him down or praise him? Is there no middle ground here? I'd never celebrate anybody's death and to accuse me of doing so makes it quite evident to me that you're as judgmental and quick to jump to conclusions as those on ResetEra who you so enjoy lambasting.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Does one either have to tear him down or praise him? Is there no middle ground here? I'd never celebrate anybody's death and to accuse me of doing so makes it quite evident to me that you're as judgmental and quick to jump to conclusions as those on ResetEra who you so enjoy lambasting.
For context, these threads attract a fair amount of one line driveby posts and heightened emotions (not disparaging that). Doesn't excuse it if you're being lumped into a group you genuinely don't belong in. Sounds like your post was more along the lines of whether anyone should be raised up? I can see how it would be misconstrued, though.

From what I've seen so far the video is a good/fitting way to mark John's passing. Still missed, still human.

Last edited:
I really miss the guy. He was partially responsable for the huge success of the indie gaming scene back in early 2010's, for the increase in quality of console to PC ports, and for Dark Souls and other japanese games arriving on Steam. As a PC gamer, I'm forever grateful for his efforts.

Top Bottom