• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is, quite simply, the greatest achievement in gaming, and possibly the best game ever made

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I beat it on PS4 at launch, but finally decided to pick it up on PC. I doubt I'll play through it all in one go, but looking forward to gradually making my way through the game again.

So far, the mouse and keyboard controls seem quite good and I love playing this at a better frame rate. Getting 50+ fps in the tutorial area with a mixture of high and ultra settings at 1440p. Not bad.

SpartanN92

Banned
It took me 6 months to beat. The game felt like a chore. If the first 4 chapters were half as good as the last two then I would have liked it more.

I LOVED RDR1 btw

Last edited:
So I introduced this game to my GF, shes never played ps1,ps2, nintentdo ect in 2 months she has almost 100% the game. Yea game is a lil slow reaction but its still doable and my gf and I love it.

Paulxo87

I never played a red dead game. I was always curious about red dead 2 but never pulled the trigger until a couple months ago. Fucking loved it. What a way to end the generation. Completed every single mission/side mission

Three

The world in that game is really something else. Gameplay or fun I've heard differing opinions about but nobody can deny that it really immerses you in an amazing setting.

TexMex

Now being a couple years removed from it - I agree it's extremely impressive. And for the most part I enjoyed my time with it a good deal. But the idea of ever playing it again is exhausting.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
i am playing it right now for the first time, i am simply in - fucking - awe
the characters, the graphics, the VA, the open world, the story (so far) how the fuck did they manage to craft this for current gen consoles i'll never wrap my head around it
this could change the more i play, but right now, this is already in my top 5 games of all time, might even go for the platinum trophy for this one
You must play Zelda Ocarina of time, Mario 64, Chrono trigger and Gravity Rush 1 and 2... These are the Best games ever created.

Rdr 2 is like the 37 in a top 100

qiqiqiiq

It was the biggest dissapointment for me in this generation, even more dissapointing than MGS5, the story was great but playing through it was one of the most boring things I have done, everything felt like a chore, I only had fun in the epilogue.

MrMephistoX

I’ve said it before you have to play it as an RPG/Cowboy Shenmue to appreciate it. If you just want to play it like an action game it’s not going to have the same impact.

It was the biggest dissapointment for me in this generation, even more dissapointing than MGS5, the story was great but playing through it was one of the most boring things I have done, everything felt like a chore, I only had fun in the epilogue.

But wait the epilogue was all about chores?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Any word on when we’re getting the next gen patch?

qiqiqiiq

I’ve said it before you have to play it as an RPG/Cowboy Shenmue to appreciate it. If you just want to play it like an action game it’s not going to have the same impact.

But wait the epilogue was all about chores?

Yeah and I had way more fun on that segment than with other things from the main game thanks to the music, they made hunting so annoying that I didn't bother to do the challenges, I finished the first red dead redemption like 6 times but with 2 I just wanted it to end and haven't played it since.

Loved the characters and story and pretty views...game played like shit and the animation was terrible

I say that but I can't sit here and act like I didn't somehow love it at some point cause I own the shit on pc, got it on my ps4 pro, and got it for my one x *facepalm*

Codeblew

I really enjoyed the game, unlike a lot of people apparently. Definitely not the best game ever made, but a very good game IMO. The online was pretty lackluster around release though. I keep hoping for a NG+ mode so I can play single player again without losing all the shit I got the first time through.

Any word on how it plays and looks on Series X?

I dont know if anyone else posted this. But its running at a higher resolution on Series X, and it loads a bit faster too(52 seconds from boot to ingame compared to ps5 taking 1 minute 21 seconds from boot to ingame)..but I think its cause its just an unpatched backwards compat version for both platforms, but check it out

30 on both with the occassional dip to 29 every once in awhile

Last edited:

ikbalCO

yeah, no. the world is massive and beautiful and there are some amazing story moments.

but the game just has so many issues with gameplay that ruins the fun.

you basically play with a jelly man who has no skeleton. gun play is downright broken. cover mechanic is sloppy. riding a horse is not fun either and this is a game where you play most of it on a horse back.

also guarma

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
It's very good and looks amazing, but i found it dragged a bit and actual gameplay was not super interesting.

Kinda liked the first game more.

Superkewl

Gold Member
I tapped out at chapter 5. The game was such a slog, but absolutely beautiful.

I might give it another go if Rockstar puts out a series x patch that doesn't cost anything, but it's 2k/rockstar so I won't be holding my breath.

ikbalCO

I tapped out at chapter 5. The game was such a slog, but absolutely beautiful.

I might give it another go if Rockstar puts out a series x patch that doesn't cost anything, but it's 2k/rockstar so I won't be holding my breath.
chapter 5 is such a drag. my friends who didn't play the game often ask me how bad can it be? and i always say imagine you are eating an amazing dinner and for no reason the cook comes and farts on your face. thats how bad it is.
you should still go back and play a little bit more to see that cool d'angelo moment. but other than that, chapter 6 keeps on dragging as well with introduction of new characters that late in the game.

NinjaBoiX

I don't agree, it's really boring and unfun. Graphics does not really help much. But that's just me.
Gotta be honest, I’ve tried twice with it.

I played the 2-3 hour boring ass intro, then put the pad down. I picked it up a couple of weeks later and played another hour or so but it just didn’t grab me.

GTA5 is just a huge amount of fun every time you play, RDR2 seems super pretty but tedious.

I’ll end up giving it another go at some point and hopefully it grabs me.

mitchman

Gold Member
i am playing it right now for the first time, i am simply in - fucking - awe
the characters, the graphics, the VA, the open world, the story (so far) how the fuck did they manage to craft this for current gen consoles i'll never wrap my head around it
this could change the more i play, but right now, this is already in my top 5 games of all time, might even go for the platinum trophy for this one
Finish the game first, then see what you think. It looks fantastic, but it's a bit of a riding simulator.

First 10, even 15, hours I was blown away by graphics and world. But slowly it became more and more of a chore, and I realised how bad the gunplay was.

This game is prime example of bloat and excess. The game could have been 1/2 as large but with more dev focus put on gunfighting gameplay, controlls and meaningful story. Instead the developer lost control with scale thinking bigger = better.

MMaRsu

Banned
First 10, even 15, hours I was blown away by graphics and world. But slowly it became more and more of a chore, and I realised how bad the gunplay was.

This game is prime example of bloat and excess. The game could have been 1/2 as large but with more dev focus put on gunfighting gameplay, controlls and meaningful story. Instead the developer lost control with scale thinking bigger = better.

Lmao meaningful story.. yeah redemption isnt a good enough story I guess

Controls arent even bad if you put it on fps controls, which noone seems to know how to do and still yapping about tapping X to run lmao no u dont tap to run

Also dont use lockon unless you are a baby gamer

Hakiroto

I think it's a stunning game and I loved playing it when it first came out but one of the things I said at the end is that I'm not ready to play another Rockstar game until their clunky engine has been updated. Just like with GTA, movement can be a bit awkward. I know, to a certain degree, that it's meant to be like that but I found myself a little frustrated when trying to do smaller movements. Also – and this is clearly a choice – it started to get frustrating how long it takes to loot drawers and stuff. It sounds a bit picky, I know, and I loved the immersion at first but 30 hours later, when looking for ammo or something, I didn't want to spend 5 minutes slowly opening every single drawer in a house.

All that said, though, it was absolutely beautiful and I loved the story. I played it on PS4 Pro and meant to play again on my PC when it was released. An update for the new consoles would be great. I'm glad you're enjoying it, OP!

Burger

Loved it. Looks as if the game actually had a director of photography behind it. Everything seems considered, as if guided by a single artist.

It took me a fucking long time to finish though, I didn't like Dutch as a character, and there was clearly a strange disconnect between trying to play as a 'good' Arthur but still murdering a lot of people. It would have been interesting if you could play it without killing people.

It felt like a television series in that the story and writing took precedence (and were amazing), and it was shoehorned into a game. And the game parts didn't always line up with the story it wanted to tell.

What the heck do you mean how bad the gunplay is? In what way is it bad? Shooting in this is so freaking satisfying compared to so many other 3rd person shooters it's not even funny. Even GTA V feels much worse comparatively.

What the heck do you mean how bad the gunplay is? In what way is it bad? Shooting in this is so freaking satisfying compared to so many other 3rd person shooters it's not even funny. Even GTA V feels much worse comparatively.

Once Dead Eye is levelled even slightly, every encounter is a point and click until everything is dead. Way too easy, and extremely repetitive.

My other issue is world they created for this game lacks just a touch of fantasy or creative license, which is why it's so boring. R* forgot what made GTA so good.

I was expecting Native American Indian horsemen to battle, for a bit of variety in human enemy, for example. But because they strictly followed the era, a large part of the Western genre was missing (or do you battle these at the end?)

I didn't finish it on my first playthrough, which I guess isn't a good sign. I only got it much later on PC and I think I just built it up in my head too much. I was enjoying the missions well enough, but none of the side stuff really interested me, or if it did it wasn't really well sign-posted, or it was just too slow and methodical to have fun with. People say the game has so much to do but I felt at a bit of a loss unless I was ploughing through the story.

Story-wise I thought it was a bit flawed because almost right from the beginning it seemed like it should have been obvious to everyone that the gang was only going to end in disaster. I mean, just one fuck up after another. Dutch comes across as a bullshit artist and a conman right from the very start. It would have been better if that process had been more gradual.

I do plan on giving the game a try again at some stage, though, because it is amazing in a lot of ways.

Soodanim

Once upon a time I considered getting this, but I've realised that gameplay has to be front and centre for me and this doesn't seem to follow that philosophy. Just the other day a friend of mine said he gave up because he was being sent back and forth between these far away places and riding for 40 minutes on a horse is not fun. He said it isn't as good as the first by a long shot, which seems to be one of his favourite of all time.

The biggest negative thing I can say about the game is that they took away the throwing knives specific hit points and animation.

In the first game, a throwing knife to both knees or the legs would force an enemy on his knees and either shooting at you, or helpless.

At that point, you can tie them up or cut their throat with the knife.

That was completely gone in the sequel.

That was my biggest problem with the game.

Other than that, I loved it very much.

Nice change of pace.

Just like the first one, it's a turd slathered in glitter. Once people stand back away from the graphics, the popular opinion and the marketing hype, it's easy to see that it's relatively shit.

OP, if this is the best game you've ever played then i've got some fantastic news for you; it isn't the best. Enjoy playing some truly awe-inspiring games.

reptilex

Banned
I wish neogaf would mod these aggressive alienating titles, I come here specifically to avoid being harassed by infuriatingly aggressive signals like this by scum Kotaku, Polygon, Ign etc...

lock2k

Banned
I wish neogaf would mod these aggressive alienating titles, I come here specifically to avoid being harassed by infuriatingly aggressive signals like this by scum Kotaku, Polygon, Ign etc...

It's just an opinion. Don't enter the thread if it bothers you so much.

Paasei

If the gameplay was better, it would've had a decent chance. But as it got released? No. It's way too outdated of a gameplay system.

Technically and story wise it is really good, impressive even, I'll give it that.

Life

If the gameplay was better, it would've had a decent chance. But as it got released? No. It's way too outdated of a gameplay system.

Technically and story wise it is really good, impressive even, I'll give it that.

Yeah missions are pretty repetitive and outdated really. Played it for 3/4 days straight and got far - but been struggling to go back to it recently. Horse-riding gets stale very fast - and what's worse, you can't just hold a button to sprint? Can't believe something like that wasn't patched out - gotta tap with the rhythm of the gallop if you wanna sprint properly? WTF? I wouldn't be surprised if that repetitive task has probably made up about 30% of my gameplay alone.

Yes, I unlocked fast travel - but it came way too late for me to still be excited about the game - and you still gotta manually travel back to your damned tent anyway.

How about making me hunt an eagle or some other bird - then I get its eggs as a reward - and eventually get an eagle I can use to scout and quick travel with? Find secret locations with?

Riding back to camp is never fun - why can't I fast travel to the most traveled to place?

Not saying the game is ass - but some aspects of it feel like a total chore.

Top Bottom