• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recent Assassin's Creeds games were supposed to be female only, until executives intervened

Elcid

Banned
Look man I love those characters but they didn't look like special forces even one bit. Jill looked like the waitress for some weird luxury airline.
Claire wasn’t, and Jill was just a badass SWAT type cop. Do you need a cock bulge or something to look special forces?

Claire wasn’t, and Jill was just a badass SWAT type cop. Do you need a cock bulge or something to look special forces?

She just doesn't. I love the series but character development or anything like it is absent and Jill is replaceable with any other female lead in the series.

Cyberpunkd

And this is shocking how, imagine anyone thinking this will ever stop, it will only get worse lol. Ideology always comes before money now.

Cant do anything about it, so why care in the first place :pie_thinking:

I can honestly say I'm not supprised, they've being trying to kill off the alpha male this whole gen.
I fail to see how having the default male character is an accepted truth, but having a default female character causes issues like the posts above.
One can make an argument that ‘games with women’ don’t sell since there are not enough of them, it’s not a terribly complicated thought.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I fail to see how having the default male character is an accepted truth, but having a default female character causes issues like the posts above.
One can make an argument that ‘games with women’ don’t sell since there are not enough of them, it’s not a terribly complicated thought.

Just picture what stories and games boys have liked over the last 5,000 years.

Or, if you don't want to do that, just picture what stories and games girls have liked over the last 5,000 years.

Cyberpunkd

No, specifically the stories and games that are embraced by females. History is loaded with them.

Do you notice violence as a major theme in these games and stories?
Fair point, but AC is PG-13 anyway. I would say the barrier to entry for women (sample size 1 - my wife) is super complicated control scheme and multiple systems to manage.

Games and movies logic nowadays:
Alpha males must go away and push alpha females for everything.
Film and Gaming industry has generally been shit in recent years at writing strong female leads, they'll just give the female character lots of power or abilities (especially masculine ones) and make the men around her look like complete idiots. Captain Marvel is a good example of this, so is Wonder Woman.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I simply want the better character, and don’t give a shit if it’s a male or female. Bayek was the better protagonist in Origins, while Kassandra was better in Odyssey.

Rudius

I played as Alexius just to make the game feel a bit more realistic. I'm aware it features monsters and other fantasy stuff, but at least the cities are somewhat what you would expect for the time.

dcx4610

I preferred most of the female leads over the males. Especially Evie and Kassandra.

It's not about male vs. female - It's about the writing and personality. Alexios was super generic and unlikable. On the flipside, from what I've seen with Valhalla, the female is the generic one.

I would say:

Evie = Jacob (both performances were good, but I liked the boxing stuff late game with Jacob).
Bayek and that is it (I hated the Aya mission(s) I was super OP as Bayek and they took everything away).
Kassandra > Alexios - Plus Alexios works better as the "villian".
Yep and Aya was a biotch to Bayek and selfish. Why would anyone ever want to play her? Just as bad as the characters they had in the "real world" in modern ac.

Evie on the other hand was better than Jacob, but I liked that you could switch between. She came in before the "make women ugly" trend.

Kassandra vs Alexios, I played as him but it could of went either way.

Now for valhalla, I would of played the female version non stop if they looked like sophitia (jk, but less like a skinny dude with long hair would of been nice.)

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I mean if you listen to all the game sites Kassandra is preferred. Of course, then there’s the 98% of the rest of people who play games.
Me, realizing you responded to an old post.....
1948247c-84d4-477b-8315-87f6c8e5f668_text.gif

TheHTIC

Neo Member
As someone who hasn't really played Assassins Creed since the 3rd one, which one's would you recommend?

Last edited:
Good.

Female only could've worked in Syndicate thanks to more focus on assassinations and guns and less reliance on brute force.

Odyssey and Valhalla definitely work better with male leads due to heavy weapons and hystorical era.

Would gladly play as a female ninja in AC Japan or male Samurai.

This is pretty much the reason I played as men in those games, playing a Hoplite or Viking Beserker type.

GymWolf

Kassandra was only good for her particular voice acting, the same exact writing with alexios shitty voice was fucking hilarious.

Bayek was great, stoic and with a great VA, his wife was a bitch, bayek only flaw was to be too submissive with her if i remember origins plot well enough.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
My gf always said it felt like Ubisoft wanted to make the player take the female lead, as the male lead wouldn't make sense.

I always dusted it off, but guess she was right in the end. I never tried it so I don't know about it, but it sounded weird to me.

Evie > Jacob
Aya > Bayek
Kassandra > Alexios
Why, it's almost as if when creative people are forced to ignore their own intentions for their project, they write and direct the character they wanted in the first place to exciting and charismatic, and write and direct the character they didn't want to be bland and dull. Well, at least in some of those examples.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Why did you respond to a two year old post?

YuLY

Well, for once, I'm glad executives intervened. Tired of this excessive woke and feminist shit.
For real. Like when I think of playing a spartan or viking, I dont think of a woman... I dont mind that theres a choice there, but not sure I would have even bothered if you had to play females.

Azurro

Banned
Bayek is definitely top 3 of AssCreed protags. It also helps that he pretty much started it all.

He was a great protagonist, except his interactions with his wife. He was such a simp, she kept treating him like shit every time and he just took it and asked for seconds.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Write a good, believable woman and I promise men will play your game.

Just a heads up though, don’t be surprised and don’t start a shitstorm if some men refuse to play a woman character. Representation works both ways.

Azurro

Banned
Write a good, believable woman and I promise men will play your game.

Just a heads up though, don’t be surprised and don’t start a shitstorm if some men refuse to play a woman character. Representation works both ways.

That's the funniest thing about "THE MESSAGE". They say women don't play videogames because they are not represented. Then they come up with boatloads of games with female protagonists, and, well, where are all the hordes of women picking up a PS5/XSX and playing those games? Instead they just resort to insulting their fans when "THE MESSAGE" isn't well received.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
That's the funniest thing about "THE MESSAGE". They say women don't play videogames because they are not represented. Then they come up with boatloads of games with female protagonists, and, well, where are all the hordes of women picking up a PS5/XSX and playing those games? Instead they just resort to insulting their fans when "THE MESSAGE" isn't well received.
It’s not having a woman as main character that will make real women flock to video games.
I could never picture Tomb Raider with a male protagonist. Lara was always perfect for the series. Saying men were OK playing as Lara ‘cuz boobs is disingenuous as hell. Because Tomb Raider, Lara notwithstanding, always was a typical male gamer experience. Having Lara in the game didn’t make the games “for women”. Quite the contrary - TR was as hardcore as it could be. Yet Lara Croft became an icon well beyond the realm of video games, and somehow, that seemed enough. Women had representation in video games thanks to Lara Croft. They said the world of this preeminently male hobby was changing because Lara Croft got so famous. Yet the immediate legacy of Lara was… what? More gratuitously scantily clad women in other games, while just how many girls turned to video games thanks to TR is highly debatable.

Having a woman as main character doesn’t automatically make the game interesting for women. This kind of representation works in passive media - kids will naturally empathize with younger characters in books and movies, that’s why many superheroes are young and the older ones classically had a younger sidekick. Women are also clearly interested in “women’s” movies and books. But video games require interaction, and some forms of interaction clearly click much more easily with the average male brain. Most women will watch or read about GI Jane or Lara Croft, but it’s a fact that not as many women want to be, or play as, GI Jane or Lara Croft. It’s not what the character is, it’s what she does.
This is also why it’s hilarious to see women characters in games being made deliberately unattractive, and written as strong, independent badasses, like that’s all it takes for a woman to want to pick up that game and even buy a console to play it. This is enough to show how it’s really this kind of “representation“ that it’s tone-deaf, not its negative reception.

An all-female game like TLOU2 is still a manly affair to the core, no matter how well-written and believable its protagonists are.
This is not to say that women can’t hold their own in such a scenario; characters like Scarlett O’Hara were holding their own pretty well in war scenarios, and that’s media from a time when women were considered weaker than today.
No, games like TLOU2 just reinforce the idea that some “representation“ is just an unnecessary, in-your-face ”fuck you” to people that don’t necessarily need to be taught a lesson, whatever that lesson may be in the devs’ minds. Because in the end, more males will play such a game than women, and deliberately pissing off what you perfectly know is your target audience isn’t a bright idea.

That said, a man refusing to play a game because the main character is a woman has his issues too.

Cyberpunkd

Women will not play games like AC no matter the character. Most of the time the control scheme and systems are incredibly complicated because the hardcore crowd demands it. While I imagine most men would be like "let me learn these 20 obtuse commands" many women are "what is this, a game or work?".

I try to look at it from a non-gamer perspective and the barrier to entry is insane.

They were right. The games definitely would not sell as much. I certainly wouldn't buy them because they wouldn't be interesting. Assassins Creed games are based in history and historically men would would be the only members of secret societies, world leaders and world influencers in general.

Female characters such as Senua from Hellblade and Faith from Mirrors Edge fit their world. Even Chloe was a great main character for an Uncharted game.

Gambit2483

They were right. The games definitely would not sell as much. I certainly wouldn't buy them because they wouldn't be interesting. Assassins Creed games are based in history and historically men would would be the only members of secret societies, world leaders and world influencers in general.

Female characters such as Senua from Hellblade and Faith from Mirrors Edge fit their world. Even Chloe was a great main character for an Uncharted game.

I typically don't care, but if you're going to push your game as being somewhat historically accurate...I think Female Evior made more sense as there were some women Warriors in Viking culture.

Last edited:
Top Bottom