• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recent Assassin's Creeds games were supposed to be female only, until executives intervened

hyperbertha

Ignoring the PCgamer spin here are the facts:

Assassin's Creed Syndicate was originally going to feature a more even split between its two playable leads, twins Jacob and Evie Frye. After meddling from executives, including recently-resigned Serge Hascoët, the balance became much more skewed in Jacob's favour. In the final game, it is a rough 40/60 split between Evie and Jacob

Assassin's Creed Origins. The original story saw protagonist Bayek killed off early in the game to be replaced by his wife Aya. In the final game, Aya has a massively reduced role.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey was going to originally only feature Kassandra as its player character. Hascoët, and unnamed people within Ubisoft's marketing department, claimed that games with women leads wouldn't sell, and so Kassandra's brother Alexios was included as an alternative lead .

Aforementioned executives have now all been canceled due to harassment, so expect Ubisoft to have full creative freedom from now on.

Bragr

Banned

sobaka770

Banned
If the creative vision was to make you pay as a woman they should've stuck with it. In every AC game with female protagonist: Evie, Aya and Cassandra are just plain better characters than the male ones.

Choice is a compromise but the idea that a female-led AC wouldn't sell is bonkers. Just make a good character. It's that the reason why we can't get a sequel to Beyond Good and Evil for 2 decades?

The whole article is a worthwhile read. The guy is clearly a douche and his control over Ubi properties let to then all being cookie-cutter clones of each other. I hope Ubi comes out stronger out of this.

I refuse to believe this is true about Origins. Maybe someone was like "dude what if we kill Bayek lmao" but nothing more. His character is the game. Everything is written around him being a depressed Egyptian Sheriff whose life fell apart and stumbles upon conspiracies and politics he does not understand. I guess I can see him dying at the end but I find the ending (and first expansion) better with them separating forever. Aya jumping into the cool world of assassins and Bayek left behind in Egypt is the definition of bittersweet.

>but Aya is the founder of the Assassins!

Yeah whatever. The story is about Bayek and Aya drifting apart because of the death of their child. It's inspired by Ashraf Ismail. The same plot's skeleton is used in Black Flag's flashbacks.

Also Kassandra has a ridiculous actor. Alexios sounds like he knows he's starring in the equivalent of a low budget 1980s Italian sword-and-sandals epic featuring Lou Ferrigno. Kassandra takes it seriously instead of being Xena.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Aveline from Liberation, a smaller spin-off from Creed III was female only. I think that's the only one.
Another spin off, Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China, had a female protagonist: Shao Jun.

Woopah

I can honestly say I'm not supprised, they've being trying to kill off the alpha male this whole gen.
People wanting to make a game with a female lead is "killing off the alpha male lead" now? People have been making games with female leads for decades.

Rikoi

They should give you more control over your look, not just m/f. You should be able to choose height, weight, hair, and the like while still being the right ethnicity.
Something you just want to hear the story of a character/team in a certain setting, instead of being addressed as hero, friend, mate, <insert any generic term> by the other NPCs.

JeloSWE

Something you just want to hear the story of a character/team in a certain setting, instead of being addressed as hero, friend, mate, <insert any generic term> by the other NPCs.
As an example of what I mean:
Keep Kassandra as a character but let me change her hair style, body shape, height, etc. People will still know your name and the like, but you would be more you as it were.

Rikoi

As an example of what I mean:
Keep Kassandra as a character but let me change her hair style, body shape, height, etc. People will still know your name and the like, but you would be more you as it were.
Oh yes I wish we could do that.
I think one of the reasons they don't do this is because of the main character being used as advertisment by the developers/community or something like this, so the face must be fixed.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
The funny thing is how they try to frame it as sexist when those are the same people trying to push for female only protagonists.

So basically:

-Male protagonist = sexist
-Female or male protagonist = sexist
-90% of the game as a female and 10% as a male = sexist

The normal SJW hypocrisy.

was originally going to injure or kill off its male hero, Bayek, early in the story and give the player control of his wife, Aya, according to two people who worked on it.

So some of them wanted to dispose early of the male hero and substitute him with a (superior) female for the rest of the game.

Where do I have seen that before? :pie_thinking:

Fbh

To be honest with the whole open world RPG angle they are going with now I hope the next entries start offering a character creator.
The only one of the newer ones I played was Odyssey and I went with Kassandra mostly because I found the voice acting of Alexios hillariously bad.

Even I was surprised at the Alexios/Kassandra split. I honestly expected Kassandra to be the preferred one.

I'd love to the know the Commander Shepard Split.

In Mass Effect 3 it was 82% Male Shepard

kretos

Banned
giphy.gif

hemo memo

Gold Member
They have data to support this or they’ll not waste the time and money. That’s why the decision was made. But Ubisoft is an easy target so of course this will get turn into something else.

Oh yes I wish we could do that.
I think one of the reasons they don't do this is because of the main character being used as advertisment by the developers/community or something like this, so the face must be fixed.
Mass effect made it work. No reason other games can't.

Sybrix

This is an unfortunate issue with the big players in gaming now and has been for the last 10 years.

Ubisoft, EA, Activision etc are ruled by data trends, much like the movie industry, they'll design the game, get it screen tested and alter it based on results and data trends rather then let the creative process evolve naturally.

The big games these days are designed by committee to their detriment unfortunately which is why we get the same churned out crap each year from Ubisoft and EA.

Bethesda is also well on their way to the above sadly.

Amiga

Ignoring the PCgamer spin here are the facts:

Assassin's Creed Syndicate was originally going to feature a more even split between its two playable leads, twins Jacob and Evie Frye. After meddling from executives, including recently-resigned Serge Hascoët, the balance became much more skewed in Jacob's favour. In the final game, it is a rough 40/60 split between Evie and Jacob

Assassin's Creed Origins. The original story saw protagonist Bayek killed off early in the game to be replaced by his wife Aya. In the final game, Aya has a massively reduced role.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey was going to originally only feature Kassandra as its player character. Hascoët, and unnamed people within Ubisoft's marketing department, claimed that games with women leads wouldn't sell, and so Kassandra's brother Alexios was included as an alternative lead .

Aforementioned executives have now all been canceled due to harassment, so expect Ubisoft to have full creative freedom from now on.

Main character gender is not the reason AC is the biggest boring franchise, it's because of lack of creativity in play-design and a story that finished with Ezio/Desmond and failed to start a new interesting arc

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So was they always men's bodies too
Fucking bullshitters :pie_roffles:

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte
Good. Release an Assassins Creed with a non optional female lead and let's find out if it sells more, less or the same.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Ignoring the PCgamer spin here are the facts: ...

There is a ridiculous amount of spin in that PC Gamer article ...

Imagine an Origins where Aya had to avenge both her son and her husband, or an Odyssey that really explored the gender dynamics of Ancient Greece. More importantly, imagine if the people making those games could have done it in an environment that was safe and free from the alleged harassment by executives and managers, and from gaslighting by the publisher's HR department.

You can already play either as a man or a woman in AC:O and have sexual relations with both men and women playing both characters. so what more does the PC Gamer author want from that game?

Besides that, I find it laughable that these proponents of gender equality think that putting a character creator in a game is all it takes to play either as a man or a woman in a third person action game. It's also more work for the story department to make the story work for two different genders, you need to cast an additional voice actor who has to record thousands of lines of text, the art department needs to design more costumes that suit a female body type, perhaps even additional motion capture sessions to record both actors. It's a substantial amount of money even for a studio the size of Ubisoft.

Top Bottom